Not open for further replies.

C'est Moi Cantona

Hope Jose is bold, something like:

-------------------------Romero---------------------
Valencia--------Smalling-------Jones-------Darmian
-------------Herrera---------Pogba-----------------
Miki--------------------Mata-----------------Martial
-----------------------Rashford----------------------

Leave Fellaini on the bench for if we need to play hoof ball, Carrick for if we need to see it out, and Rooney for if we are 5-0 up.

jem

Hope Jose is bold, something like:

-------------------------Romero---------------------
Valencia--------Smalling-------Jones-------Darmian
-------------Herrera---------Pogba-----------------
Miki--------------------Mata-----------------Martial
-----------------------Rashford----------------------

Leave Fellaini on the bench for if we need to play hoof ball, Carrick for if we need to see it out, and Rooney for if we are 5-0 up.
Makes too much sense. I honestly don't know how Mourinho can justify starting Lingard. That lineup there should be more than enough to defeat the likes of Ajax (or most teams, for that matter, although the CBs don't exactly inspire much confidence these days.)

Pavl3n

That line up looks very probable bar Mata, who would be sacrificed for Fellaini most probably. The other question mark is Lingard or Martial. I suppose it's a battle between those two, however Lingard has made an impact at the big stage games, as much as some dislike him.
As crazy as it sounds I am more confident with Darmian than Smalling and Jones. It most probably will finish 1:0 for us or 1:1 and we'll have to push really hard during extra time.

willhse456

I really hope we don't set up defensively, the tension would be unbearable if we sit on a 1-0 lead for half the game.

3KDré

IMO there is no way Lingard doesn't play. Scored in the League Cup final, Community Shield and FA Cup final.

AXVnee7

Mata definitely has to start for me. Could do with Micky too, he's been really good for us in Europe.

Not sure about Martial, I think he'll favour Lingard for his work rate. Maybe good performances in the next couple of games can sway Jose.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Yeah that's the line up I think everyone wants to see but Jose will be ultra cautious for that game and will try not to concede over everything else so that could well mean Fellaini starting ahead of Carrick or Herrera and Lingard ahead of Martial.

I don't think Smalling deserves to be anywhere near the starting line up for the final and I'd prefer Jones and Blind but Smalling might get the nod over his height
No chance Herrera won't start, he's been too good in both attack and defence. I really can't be arsed with the stress than comes when watching Fellaini play. Carrick offers more defensively simply because he's more calm, composed and knows what to do in each hairy situation.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Romero

Valencia Smalling Blind Darmian

Pogba Herrera Fellaini

Lingard Rashford Mikhitaryan

I think it's nailed on to be this

edcunited1878

Jose will play with what got him here. Valencia, Blind, Darmian. Smalling v Jones for the final defensive slot.

Pogba, Herrera, Felliani.

Rashford, Mkhitaryan and Lingard.

Mata, Martial, Rooney, Tuanzebe, Carrick are the only legit outfield players who can be named to the bench. And only Mata and Martial can push for a starting berth.

Jaap

Romero, Valencia, Pogba, Herrera, Rashford all starting 100%.

Six places up for grabs between Smalling, Jones, Blind, Darmian, Shaw, Carrick, Fellaini, Mkhitaryan, Mata, Martial & Lingard.

I'd play:

Romero
Valencia - Smalling - Blind - Darmian
Herrera - Carrick
Mkhitaryan - Pogba - Martial
Rashford

TheReligion

Abusive
Romero, Valencia, Pogba, Herrera, Rashford all starting 100%.

Six places up for grabs between Smalling, Jones, Blind, Darmian, Shaw, Carrick, Fellaini, Mkhitaryan, Mata, Martial & Lingard.

I'd play:

Romero
Valencia - Smalling - Blind - Darmian
Herrera - Carrick
Mkhitaryan - Pogba - Martial
Rashford
Shaw out for the season with Rojo and Zlatan isn't he?

TheReligion

Abusive
I'd like to see;

DDG
Valencia Jones Blind Darmian
Carrick
Hererra Pogba
Mkhitaryan Mata
Rashford

I think that's a very technical side able to pass the ball out from back to front.

Carrick can sit in, Hererra b2b and Pogba working between the two.

I'd include Mata as he is a very clever player and his movement will bring both Pogba and Rashford into the game. He also offers a goal threat.

Jaybomb

Romero
Valencia - Jones - Blind - Darmian
Herrera - Fellaini - Pogba
Mata - Rashford - Mkhitaryan

Honestly gutted Bailly got himself suspended. The fact that we're going into this final with either Jones or Smalling at the back... or potentially BOTH makes me very nervous.

We should be winning this but we won't. I have this gut feeling that whichever goalkeeper we play is gonna mess up and people will either say "Why didn't you play your best goalkeeper De Gea?" or "Why did you drop Romero when he got you to the final?"

TheReligion

Abusive
Romero
Valencia - Jones - Blind - Darmian
Herrera - Fellaini - Pogba
Mata - Rashford - Mkhitaryan

Honestly gutted Bailly got himself suspended. The fact that we're going into this final with either Jones or Smalling at the back... or potentially BOTH makes me very nervous.

We should be winning this but we won't.
Same as me but I would like Carrick over Fellaini

Zii

Fellaini has to play, he should be our striker. With Martial and Rashford on each flank. It sounds shocking but he ALWAYS impacts the game near the opposition box and has a surprising eye for goal

MrSingh2002

I don't remember Martial playing that well apart from today. Even today he was only the best from a bad bunch. Either are people seeing different things or his standards have dropped significantly. Mourinho played Lingard in a crucial EL game over him on thursday and today he plays him in a meaningless game. Doesn't that tell you something? He has to be performing in every game until then to even have a remote chance of starting. He won't even be playing all the games though so it will be a long shot to see him start.

Agree about the others though. Like I said before, the most hated ones, Fellaini, Darmian and Lingard will likely be starting. And that shows the state of our squad.
I agree in that I believe Jose has Lingard in mind over Martial at this point. The other game Martial did well in was against Arsenal. Jose would have us believe that was another unimportant game.

I'd love it if Martial got the nod over Lingard though. Don't see why we shouldn't go out to win vs Ajax rather than not lose.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Anyone think we should give Romero some game time in the league before the final? Assuming he will start of course.
I would play him against Southampton, just as the rest of the so called first team or eventual starters of the final.

Champagne Football

Fellaini has to play, he should be our striker. With Martial and Rashford on each flank. It sounds shocking but he ALWAYS impacts the game near the opposition box and has a surprising eye for goal
Yeah I was thinking that would be our best line up. Catch them with a little surprise just before the game. If you put him in instead of Carrick then we lose so much composure in midfield even though Carrick has been pretty average for the last month or two. Having a big monster up front for Rashford and Martial to feed off with their pace sounds good while having Fellaini protecting the goal at set pieces also which is what he is best at

TonyMarshall

I don't think it will be close. These guys play the exact same way against everyone all the time.

They will either blow us away or Jose will perfectly nullify them and we'll blow them away.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I don't think it will be close. These guys play the exact same way against everyone all the time.

They will either blow us away or Jose will perfectly nullify them and we'll blow them away.
European finals are generally close affairs. I can't remember one recently that was a gulf in quality. Maybe our second one vs Barca second half.

Sigma

Makes too much sense. I honestly don't know how Mourinho can justify starting Lingard. That lineup there should be more than enough to defeat the likes of Ajax (or most teams, for that matter, although the CBs don't exactly inspire much confidence these days.)
He has scored in the last 3 finals (inc. Community shield).

3KDré

Fellaini has to play for me. Carrick's too immobile and they've got some tricky players I hear.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups

I agree. But we won't blow them away, only gently brush them aside.

TheReligion

Abusive

Has anyone blown us away since Chelsea last year?

Can't see that happening.

BebétheBest

Has Rooney played his way into the line up for the final with his 3 goals in 4 matches?

His experience and bulk could be useful against the young Ajax defenders.

Zii

Anyone else so fecking nervous. I can't imagine how Jose / the squad feels. God I hope we fecking win it, would be amazing

frank lee madeer..

Games against these types of sides require more brains than bruisers & We shouldn't sit off them too much.

TheDutchLad

Supports
Feyenoord
The levels of arrogance of some posters on here is just baffling :nono::nono:. For the sake of the caf I hope that Jose will get his tactics spot on.

Giggs86

Has Rooney played his way into the line up for the final with his 3 goals in 4 matches?

His experience and bulk could be useful against the young Ajax defenders.
There is no way he will start. The only scenario for him to be involved is maybe as a second half sub to kill the game with his experience. Kind of like against Celta.

BebétheBest

The levels of arrogance of some posters on here is just baffling :nono::nono:. For the sake of the caf I hope that Jose will get his tactics spot on.
Now I'm not the highest paid manager in football but I'm confident I could set up our tactics based on the gaping weaknesses I saw from Ajax in the away legs against Schalke and Lyon.

Fellaini will isolate and bully their full backs in aerial duels with our attackers looking to hit him with long diagonals as we've done in lots of Europa League games.

They are so wide open when they attack that the long ball into space will mean Rashford causes them massive problems on the break. They're exciting but naive tactically due to their youthful exuberance and Mourinho's favoured counter attacking style suits this game down to the ground.

I think the bookies are even giving us some value putting us at 70% chance to lift the trophy.

Champagne Football

When I told cafe that fellaini should be a striker and saw 4 notifications I was ready to be mocked lol
I know the feeling :) But Mkhitaryan has flattered to deceive for the last couple of months mostly despite being good here and there. Martial can go missing in big games too so it's a tough call. And Fellaini can cause so much damage with crosses and set pieces offensively and defensively that it's hard to leave him on the bench in such a big game - especially when our defense is so leaky and unconvincing when Bailly is not playing

Status
Not open for further replies.