g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ajax - Man Utd | EL Final Build-up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazi

Martial over Lingard is so fecking obvious. I'll be gutted when Lingard starts against Ajax.
Over Lingard is obvious. Over Mata? Not so much.

That last attacking spot is still up for grabs as Herrera, Pogba and Fellaini are all definitely starting. If Martial makes it in that front three, our options on the bench will be very uninspiring.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Let's just get out there and overwhelm them from the start.

I think we should play our most talented players, feck staying defensive.

Rashford
Martial Miki J.Mata
Pogba Ander
Damo Blind Chris Anton
DDG
Carrick has to play for me.

Same back 5, but:
Martial - Rashford - Mkhi
Pogba - Carrick - Herrera

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
--------------DDG---------
------Valencia Bailly----
-----Herrera Carrick----
------------Pogba------------
Mkhitaryan------Martial
-----------Rashford-----------

DizeeGorilla20

Our form going into this does not look good. I'm predicting another loss on Wednesday and a bore draw on Saturday.

Complacency looks to be setting in and Jose is allowing it to happen.

Janson

Over Lingard is obvious. Over Mata? Not so much.

That last attacking spot is still up for grabs as Herrera, Pogba and Fellaini are all definitely starting. If Martial makes it in that front three, our options on the bench will be very uninspiring.
I'm 99% sure Lingard will be starting the final. It's obvious Jose rates him and we will need good balance in that game since they are an attacking team. I think starting Martial will be too risky.

ilovethisgameahahah

We looked like a different team when we pushed up and attacked today(obviously). As Mourinho said earlier in the season, we don't have the type of players to play on the counter with success. We have very possession orientated players, even his own signings are suited for a possession based team so i don't really understand why we have changed up our style to such a negative one.

We have to go toe to toe with Ajax from minute 1. There's nothing that their nimble players will love more than passing it around our final third and finding the gaps between our impotent defence. Hoping that Mkhi and Lingard will be dropped for Martial and Mata, we need the extra possibility of goals.

zeekey

Ajax results this season in Europe.

2016–17 Champions League 3rd Qualifying Round
Greece PAOK 1–1, 2–1 20.6
Play-off Round
Russia FC Rostov 1–1, 1–4
2016–17 Europa League Group stage
Greece Panathinaikos F.C. 2–1, 2–0
Belgium Standard Liege 1–0, 1–1
Spain Celta de Vigo 2–2, 3–2

Round of 32
Poland Legia Warszawa 0–0, 1–0
Round of 16
Denmark FC København 1–2, 2–0
Quarterfinals
Germany FC Schalke 04 2–0, 2–3
Semifinals
France Olympique Lyonnais 4–1, 1–3
Not exactly been rolling teams over. I have to take crumbs of comfort where I can.

Janson

I reckon most of the hated ones will play. Fellaini, Lingard and Darmian. Probably not Rooney though.

Mister_Stubbs

We are going in to this with hardly any momentum, Ajax are coming off the back of narrowingly missing out on the league title and will want to finish the season on a high.. we on the other hand are putting in half hearted performances because the manager himself admits that the league isn't his priority. We've seen it before, once a team starts to switch off it can be hard to turn it back on. We need to be careful.

rooney2009

Martial has to start on the left for me.
He has played himself into the team with his performances against Arsenal and Spurs

Peanut Butter

Our form going into this does not look good. I'm predicting another loss on Wednesday and a bore draw on Saturday.

Complacency looks to be setting in and Jose is allowing it to happen.
No, Jose is telling the squad to mentally prepare for the final and not risk injuries in pointless fixtures against Spurs.

He will maticulously prepare for the final make no mistake about it.

People lose their shit when we lose dead rubbers I just dot get it.

Giggs86

Ajax results this season in Europe.

2016–17 Champions League 3rd Qualifying Round
Greece PAOK 1–1, 2–1 20.6
Play-off Round
Russia FC Rostov 1–1, 1–4
2016–17 Europa League Group stage
Greece Panathinaikos F.C. 2–1, 2–0
Belgium Standard Liege 1–0, 1–1
Spain Celta de Vigo 2–2, 3–2

Round of 32
Poland Legia Warszawa 0–0, 1–0
Round of 16
Denmark FC København 1–2, 2–0
Quarterfinals
Germany FC Schalke 04 2–0, 2–3
Semifinals
France Olympique Lyonnais 4–1, 1–3
They're pretty shit aren't they? I know it's a final and previous results are irrelevant, but there is no excuse for us not to win that final.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
They're pretty shit aren't they? I know it's a final and previous results are irrelevant, but there is no excuse for us not to win that final.
The worst beating was by Rostov. But that was 9 months ago. They are a young team and their best results were the home wins V Schalke and Lyon. No offensive to our Danish and Polish friends but they struggled to beat two very ordinary teams in round 32 and 16.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
If I sound like Mourinho for stating the facts then I apologise. We can always pretend United don't have any injuries and aren't playing 3 games in the next week if you like to Ajax's none?
It just isn't right, Mourinho could put 6 players from the academy in and still have a team that is much more mature and fifteen times as expensive. He could rest any player. It's a bit like Goliath telling david he has broken a nail. But Ajax has ten days without a game and a lot of players two weeks, that's a bit too long for an optimal preparation. Players need matches and want rythm.

Your argument is very one sided with regards to Pogba. It's not without the ball I'm talking about it's when he is on it himself.
That won't be easy either, awareness is not his strenght and the style Ajax plays requires that.

Water Melon

We are going in to this with hardly any momentum, Ajax are coming off the back of narrowingly missing out on the league title and will want to finish the season on a high.. we on the other hand are putting in half hearted performances because the manager himself admits that the league isn't his priority. We've seen it before, once a team starts to switch off it can be hard to turn it back on. We need to be careful.
Jose has a point to prove. He had one to prove against Chelsea and he did. Him and the players will do their homework for the final. Make no mistake about it.

DizeeGorilla20

No, Jose is telling the squad to mentally prepare for the final and not risk injuries in pointless fixtures against Spurs.

He will maticulously prepare for the final make no mistake about it.

People lose their shit when we lose dead rubbers I just dot get it.
This wasn't a dead rubber. We still had a (mathematical) chance of making top 4 before kickoff. And beyond that, the players have a duty to perform for the fans.

Momentum is actually a thing in football. Once a team gets used to losing and conceding goals, it becomes harder for the team to rally and get a result when things go against them in games.

Honestly, my biggest nightmare is that Ajax open the scoring come the final. I don't trust the players to find it within themselves to go on and win if that happens.

minoo-utd

Can't imagine Jones and Smalling playing together at our most important game this season.

minoo-utd

Very good point, also the pressure on the manager and the players it could easily affect us plus we have Smalling and Jones at the back.

MrSingh2002

Romero
Valencia Jones Blind Darmian
Fellaini Pogba
Mata Mkhitaryan Martial
Rashford​

Romero
Herrera
Fellaini Pogba
Mkhitaryan Rashford Martial

Romero, Darmian, Fellaini, Rashford and Martial have all played their way into the starting 11 over the past few games.

If we see Lingard, Smalling or Rooney in the lineup we may aswell give the trophy to Ajax.

The White Pele

I think we will see

-------------------Romero
Valencia----Jones------Blind-----Darmian
-------------Herrera----Pogba
-Mkhi-----------Fellaini---------Martial
-----------------Rashford

cyberman

Ajax don't keep the ball well in Europe so I'm expecting plenty of possession on the night
A fit Mata would be perfect, someone who can drift into the box

Devil81

I'd personally start with Pogba, Carrick and Herrera in midfield, I think the experience of Carrick could be huge in a game like this. Added to that Fellaini is a liability at times, I'd hate it if he was targetted by their players in an attempt to get him sent off.

Champagne Football

Carrick has to play for me.

Martial - Rashford - Mkhi
Pogba - Carrick - Herrera
Damo Blind Chris Anton
..........DDG
Yeah that's the line up I think everyone wants to see but Jose will be ultra cautious for that game and will try not to concede over everything else so that could well mean Fellaini starting ahead of Carrick or Herrera and Lingard ahead of Martial.

I don't think Smalling deserves to be anywhere near the starting line up for the final and I'd prefer Jones and Blind but Smalling might get the nod over his height

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
It just isn't right, Mourinho could put 6 players from the academy in and still have a team that is much more mature and fifteen times as expensive. He could rest any player. It's a bit like Goliath telling david he has broken a nail. But Ajax has ten days without a game and a lot of players two weeks, that's a bit too long for an optimal preparation. Players need matches and want rythm.

That won't be easy either, awareness is not his strenght and the style Ajax plays requires that.
Your argument might make some sense if price tags of players decided cup finals alone - they don't. I'm not sure what you're thinking to say United could play inexperienced academy players who have never even played for the first team against an Ajax team that has had all season together. It's just plain wrong and totally skewed.

I'm not sure what your agenda is to be honest but your posting is all over the place. A little like your assessment of Pogba who I can assure you will have plenty of the ball on the night.

TheReligion

Abusive
Ajax don't keep the ball well in Europe so I'm expecting plenty of possession on the night
A fit Mata would be perfect, someone who can drift into the box
I agree.

I actually think Mourinho might play him. It looks like he's trying to get him match sharp again and he had a cheeky word with him when he came off today.

How would you line up?

VanGaalEra

Absolutely shitting myself already.

This Ajax side can and will score goals. I just hope we can find scoring boots like we did for the EFL cup final.

Ibra :(

Janson

Romero
Fellaini Pogba
Mata Mkhitaryan Martial
Rashford​

Romero
Herrera
Fellaini Pogba
Mkhitaryan Rashford Martial

Romero, Darmian, Fellaini, Rashford and Martial have all played their way into the starting 11 over the past few games.

If we see Lingard, Smalling or Rooney in the lineup we may aswell give the trophy to Ajax.
I don't remember Martial playing that well apart from today. Even today he was only the best from a bad bunch. Either are people seeing different things or his standards have dropped significantly. Mourinho played Lingard in a crucial EL game over him on thursday and today he plays him in a meaningless game. Doesn't that tell you something? He has to be performing in every game until then to even have a remote chance of starting. He won't even be playing all the games though so it will be a long shot to see him start.

Agree about the others though. Like I said before, the most hated ones, Fellaini, Darmian and Lingard will likely be starting. And that shows the state of our squad.

TheReligion

Abusive
Not a chance.

Jose is totally focused on the final and so will his side.

He gets some stick on here but he's no mug when it comes to cup finals and analysing opponents in a one off encounter.

Devil81

The Dutch football season is over, they've got a full week and a half to rest and prepare.

This wasn't a dead rubber. We still had a (mathematical) chance of making top 4 before kickoff. And beyond that, the players have a duty to perform for the fans.
We needed to win today, win against Southampton away, win at home to Palace AND hope that Liverpool drop points at home to Middlesborough and that Arsenal drop points too.

That "mathematical" long shot was as long as it gets.

cyberman

I agree.

I actually think Mourinho might play him. It looks like he's trying to get him match sharp again and he had a cheeky word with him when he came off today.

How would you line up?
I'd play Mata on the right with Rashford and Martial up top.
Mkhi as a 10 with Pogba and Herrera sitting.
Ajax games are end to end, they leave gaps when they go forward so we need Pogba to play the quick transitions which he'll be able to do if he's that little bit deeper.
That's me though. Jose will probably start Fellaini to sit in front of our Bailly-less back 4 and drop Martial altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.