Ajax - Man Utd | EL Final Build-up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I'm not going to defend Dutch media, but you can't expect respect when Mourinho is making all kinds of excuses and talking about fatique and injuries when he had 10 times more to spend and ran Zlatan into the ground to beat clubs like Hull and Sunderland. Even when they are in the same tournement, United gets a lot more money for the same achievenments as a Dutch club would get, and Dutch clubs have to let players go before they can enjoy their maturity because of that inequality.

In England Mourinho gets away with anything because with his attempts to pressure referees and other clubs he's giving the media a lot to work with, so they are extremely nice with him. But in the Netherlands people have been bored with his bad acting and pathetic attempts at mind games for many years. Now that he's a has been and can't play decent football with the most expensive players in the world anymore he's not even feared anymore. He has never been liked, he plays cynacally defensive and he's a cheat. That's not going to earn the respect from neutrals or the many Dutch who really want Ajax to lose. What did you expect, that people around the world would keep respecting United like in the SAF days just because of the name?
You do realise his renovation trigger required a ridiculous number of league starts (31 iirc) for us, don't you?

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

It's been a long time since I've been here. Great to see my club in the final against Manchester United. In recent years many people in Holland were convinced a Dutch club in a European final would never happen again, or at least not anytime soon. I always thought that was nonsense, but I didn't think we'd be here at the beginning of the season.

It's been fun reading this thread and all the pre-match expectations. Obviously on paper Ajax is the underdog. But that actually suits these players. It takes the pressure away from us. Without too much pressure against a club with the name of Manchester United is exactly the scenario that suits our young players best. Manchester United is an opponent against which they can really make a name for themselves. And this Manchester United team is not as good as the name suggests. Everyone knows this. That's why I definitely see good chances for Ajax.

In my opinion it all depends on Ajax's form who's gonna win it on Wednesday. If Ajax is close to it's best form then I'm convinced Ajax will win this match. Ajax on a good day is simply a stronger team than this Manchester United team. But will Ajax be on, or close to, it's best? That's the million dollar question. In football anything can happen and finals usually don't bring out the best. Hopefully this time it will bring the best. At least the best of Ajax ;). Mourinho obviously also is a master in making sure the opponent doensn't reach it's best form. But if we do reach our best level I'm fairly certain we'll win it. I sincerely doubt this United team will be able to withstand the pressure and quality of this Ajax team if Ajax does rise to the occasion. On the other hand, if Mourinho does manage to take the sting out of Ajax, of if Ajax players do crumble under the pressure of playing a final or for some other reason just don't play a good match, than Manchester United obviously is very likely to win. Ajax is not the kind of club/team to win (big) matches without playing well. That's why for me it's gonna be crucial which Ajax we're gonna see Wednesday.

I wonder what kind of tactic Mourinho will use. Most of the time he sets his team up defensively, waiting for opportunities on the counterattack. These opportunities will come against Ajax. But on the other hand this tactic might play into Ajax' hands. Ajax loves to be controlling the possession. If Mourinho lets Ajax have the ball there's a much bigger chance that Ajax will feel comfortable during the match. Unless United scores quickly on the counterattack I think Ajax will only get more confident and stronger and the ball and that will eventually lead to chances. Maybe therefor Mourinho will change his tactic and suprise Ajax by playing much more offensively and trying to put pressure on Ajax on Ajax' own half. This could force Ajax to make mistakes and prevent Ajax from feeling comfortable in the game. That's why I wouldn't rule out that Mourinho actually makes that choice, although I would still put my money on Mourinho going for a defensive setup if I had to.

Anyways, two days to go. Although I wish Manchester United all the best, I don't on Wednesday ;).

My prediction: 3-1 Ajax. 1-0 Schöne ('11), 2-0 Klaassen ('34), 2-1 Fellaini ('68), 3-1 Dolberg ('90).

Well I can see from where you are coming. I have not watched a lot of Ajax games recently but from what I have seen you seem like a solid squad and a typical example where the Team is much more than the sum of its parts.
We have been the opposite for the past 3 years. Some big names, a lot of individual class but 90 % of the time disappointing to watch.

I have posted this in another thread. Without knowing too much about Ajax Players I guess a mixed starting 11 would include something like 9 of our Players and max. 2 Ajax Players.
The Problem is we are just not clicking as a Team. I have high expectations that this will improve big times next season with Mourinho picking the right Players in the summer but I do not expect us to dominate the game tomorrow. Not at all.

Experience on the highest stage and individual class are my hopes to somehow win this Thing. If one of Pogba, Mkhi, Rashers or Martial has a brilliant day our chances are fine.

I think I am going for a 2:1 for us.

BebétheBest

The scenes in the MEN have really pushed this to the back of my mind. Football just doesn't seem important at a time like this.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The scenes in the MEN have really pushed this to the back of my mind. Football just doesn't seem important at a time like this.
While you're right that there are greater priorities over sport;it's sporting events like these that are bring people together.

It's fundamentally important that some semblance of normal life continues or the terrorists win.Therefore, while in the big scheme of things a cup final pales by comparison, we soldier on. That trophy takes on a greater significance in that Manchester now stands firm and we win it for the people of Manchester.

Web of Bissaka

Interesting read, 'Comparison of Tactics between Manchester United & Ajax'.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...he-europa-league-final-in-stockholm-on-may-24

Ajax play with 4-3-3 mainly and score usually from inside the box, so Mourinho may set up deep line defensively, high pressure in our area to give them congested space, and hit them with our fast-break counter which the likes of Mkhitaryan and Rashford excel in. Play our players in their best set-up tactics. Personally, I think Jones is a better option dealing with their pacy dribbling attackers.

Romero
Valencia---Smalling/Jones---Blind---Darmian
Herrera
Fellaini-------Pogba

The main aim here is to score early and get a convincing scoreline, leading goals by 2 or 3 goals. Then, with our strong defensive stability and higher capability in keeping possession, we could 'depress' the young Ajax side into mental submission :p till the end of game. Ajax love to attacks through their wings from both side, Valencia and Darmian would have to be at their best defensively, and Mkhi plus I assumed Lingard should support well. Expect a lot of crosses from Ajax.

Their defense, especially CBs have sure been doing a lot of work. Maybe it has to do with not much support defensively from the midfield, contrasting to ours. Chances here to outnumber them when we're attacking.

They sure are error-prone, which our players should be aware of and take the gifted chances seriously. Their keepers and about 2 defenders committed a lot of mistakes, so our players should press them all over the park. Targeted Ajax players ~ Keeper, CB, and RB. Once we get the ball, attack mercilessly. Then again our finishing is...

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...he-europa-league-final-in-stockholm-on-may-24

:cool:This will be a fun EL Finale.

Womp

idiot
:devil:

Ajax play with 4-3-3 mainly and score usually from inside the box, so Mourinho may set up deep line defensively, high pressure in our area to give them congested space, and hit them with our fast-break counter which the likes of Mkhitaryan and Rashford excel in. Play our players in their best set-up tactics. Personally, I think Jones is a better option dealing with their pacy dribbling attackers.

Romero
Herrera
Fellaini-------Pogba

The main aim here is to score early and get a convincing scoreline, leading goals by 2 or 3 goals. Then, with our strong defensive stability and higher capability in keeping possession, we could 'depress' the young Ajax side into mental submission :p till the end of game. Ajax love to attacks through their wings from both side, Valencia and Darmian would have to be at their best defensively, and Mkhi plus I assumed Lingard should support well. Expect a lot of crosses from Ajax.

Their defense, especially CBs have sure been doing a lot of work. Maybe it has to do with not much support defensively from the midfield, contrasting to ours. Chances here to outnumber them when we're attacking.

They sure are error-prone, which our players should be aware of and take the gifted chances seriously. Their keepers and about 2 defenders committed a lot of mistakes, so our players should press them all over the park. Targeted Ajax players ~ Keeper, CB, and RB. Once we get the ball, attack mercilessly. Then again our finishing is...

I'm so pumped for this, can't wait. Nerves are starting to kick in too.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
it may not be important but it's still a great way to unify people after such awful events. Winning this would be a great lift to many people in the city of Manchester after such a horrible experience. It's the little things that help.

Rusholme Ruffian

Romero
Herrera
Fellaini-------Pogba

That makes for interesting reading - thanks for posting! Feel a bit more confident after looking at this, obviously it doesn't tell the whole story, but if you believed some of what you read on here (particularly from Louis Van Ga...I mean @Dr Funkenstein) Ajax are the second coming of the Busby Babes and will tear us apart with their youthful zest and irresistable totalvoetball...

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Apparently Jose isn't holding a press conference for this game due to yesterdays events

SirAF

Ageist
That makes for interesting reading - thanks for posting! Feel a bit more confident after looking at this, obviously it doesn't tell the whole story, but if you believed some of what you read on here (particularly Louis Van Ga...I mean @Dr Funkenstein) Ajax are the second coming of the Busby Babes and will tear us apart with their youthful zest and irresistable totalvoetball...
*vomits*

Rusholme Ruffian

Apparently Jose isn't holding a press conference for this game due to yesterdays events

I think he's got a bit of a job on his hands getting the players in the right frame of mind for this game. We've seen to our cost that sometimes the magnitude of an occasion can get to you (I'm thinking primarily of the 50 year Munich Anniversary game against City) and he's going to have to strike the right balance. It's difficult to know what the right approach is, do you pump the players up in a 'Do it for the people of Manchester' type way, or do you just try and block it out and treat the game in just the same way as you had planned? My preference is for the latter, clear-headed approach, but it's difficult to do that when it is already in the players heads to a certain extent. They must be thinking that the same thing could (or could have) happen(ed) at a United game with their own friends and family present.

It's a toughie that I don't think should be underestimated - if the same thing had happened in Amsterdam last night I'd be wondering what effect it might have on the Ajax team...

Last edited:
Reactions: Akshay

Lentwood

I worry a little that we seem to be over-hyping and over-thinking this.

I mean, yes a mish-mash of back-up players and players who have since been sold got beat 0-1 by Feyenoord in the first Europa League game but we strolled past them at OT and I don't think we should be too worried about changing our game to cope with the threat of the team who came 2nd to them in Holland

Agila Dathi

I have my final exam in tax law tomorrow morning, I'm so excited for this match that I can't get motivated to study for it.

Danillaco

Why on earth would you switch tactics for Martial? A diamond with Darmian as fullback is a terrible idea.
Well, he was our best player last season and suffered with tactics on this one, but still is a great attacker. But you're probably right.

Web of Bissaka

BAD MOOS UNITED FANS
Manchester United will LOSE Europa League final to Ajax… according to a psychic Dutch cow.
A COW famous in Holland for predicting the outcome of football matches has had its say on the Europa League final.

And it’s bad moos for Manchester United fans after the freakishly accurate cow named Sijtje thinks Jose Mourinho’s side will endure defeat in Stockholm.

The two European giants to head-to-head on Wednesday as they look lift silverware and book their spot in next season’s Champions League.

And ahead of the clash psychic Sijtje, who has a 85 per cent success rate, was let loose to predict who will be crowned Europa League champions.

With two buckets laid out with each club’s emblem stamped on the front, the owner then fills each one up with food.

Sijtje is then let out of its enclosure and whichever bucket it eats from first supposedly goes on to win the match.

The video was posted to the cow’s dedicated Facebook page which is liked by over 1,100 people and has currently been shared over 800 times.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...s-ajax-manchester-united-europa-league-final/

:(We're gonna lose.

Reynoldo

BAD MOOS UNITED FANS
Manchester United will LOSE Europa League final to Ajax… according to a psychic Dutch cow.
A COW famous in Holland for predicting the outcome of football matches has had its say on the Europa League final.

And it’s bad moos for Manchester United fans after the freakishly accurate cow named Sijtje thinks Jose Mourinho’s side will endure defeat in Stockholm.

The two European giants to head-to-head on Wednesday as they look lift silverware and book their spot in next season’s Champions League.

And ahead of the clash psychic Sijtje, who has a 85 per cent success rate, was let loose to predict who will be crowned Europa League champions.

With two buckets laid out with each club’s emblem stamped on the front, the owner then fills each one up with food.

Sijtje is then let out of its enclosure and whichever bucket it eats from first supposedly goes on to win the match.

The video was posted to the cow’s dedicated Facebook page which is liked by over 1,100 people and has currently been shared over 800 times.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...s-ajax-manchester-united-europa-league-final/

:(We're gonna lose.
Dutch cow though, obviously biased!

Bloedrood

I worry a little that we seem to be over-hyping and over-thinking this.

I mean, yes a mish-mash of back-up players and players who have since been sold got beat 0-1 by Feyenoord in the first Europa League game but we strolled past them at OT and I don't think we should be too worried about changing our game to cope with the threat of the team who came 2nd to them in Holland
Ajax are better than Feyenoord in my opinion, play better football and are alot more talented, Feyenoord relied more on experience. Ajax lost their championship due to a bad start of the season, their new manager needed some time to make the team tick. That and European football, twice they lost points in the 2nd half of the season after an European game, something Feyenoord didn't have to deal with after the group stages of EL. And yet in the end there was only 1 point between them.

Still we're the better team, we should win this. But logic doesn't always apply to games like these.

applemacdan

I don't think the tragic events of last night, is any reason to cancel a press conference, due to be held in a completely different country.

If anything, its a chance for the club to come out, especially the local homegrown players, and offer its support.

Feel like Jose has just taken an opportunity to duck out of another press conference before the game tomorrow, similar to Sunday afternoon.

Lentwood

Ajax are better than Feyenoord in my opinion, play better football and are alot more talented, Feyenoord relied more on experience. Ajax lost their championship due to a bad start of the season, their new manager needed some time to make the team tick. That and European football, twice they lost points in the 2nd half of the season after an European game, something Feyenoord didn't have to deal with after the group stages of EL. And yet in the end there was only 1 point between them.

Still we're the better team, we should win this. But logic doesn't always apply to games like these.
They have also lost to Schalke, Kobenhaven and Lyon in the KO stages....not saying they don't have talent but we should have too much quality and experience to actively be worried

We are right not to be complacent but I worry the more we hype this game the more our lesser lights will retreat into their shell. It's not like we have a team of Keane's, Scholeses and Bruce's anymore

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Since as a newbie I can't post in the right topic so I would like to express my condolences here for what happened last night in Manchester. Stay strong.

Reactions: Invictus

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Don't even know where to start, from constantly suggesting how Mourinho is obviously doing a lot worse than Van Gaal while spending hundreds of millions more, and that his only tactics at United this season have been parking the bus in every single game, basically implying he's the most negative and vile manager that has ever coached a football team and implying the whole world has now lost all respect for Manchester United because of him, while everything Ajax has done this season is so awesome.
It's not that far from the truth, and it takes quite something for the Dutch media to say something nice about Van Gaal. I don't expect many neutrals to support United in this match. It's seems obvious to me that this season Bosz has done a lot more for the reputation of Ajax than Mourinho has done for United's.

That makes for interesting reading - thanks for posting! Feel a bit more confident after looking at this, obviously it doesn't tell the whole story, but if you believed some of what you read on here (particularly from Louis Van Ga...I mean @Dr Funkenstein) Ajax are the second coming of the Busby Babes and will tear us apart with their youthful zest and irresistable totalvoetball...
Ajax are vulnerable, but if they are playing well I can't see United stopping them getting quite a few good chances. If you United is playing well too it would be a different story, but that would be a season's first.

shaky

I don't think the tragic events of last night, is any reason to cancel a press conference, due to be held in a completely different country.

If anything, its a chance for the club to come out, especially the local homegrown players, and offer its support.

Feel like Jose has just taken an opportunity to duck out of another press conference before the game tomorrow, similar to Sunday afternoon.
That's a pretty poor accusation to make unless you have any evidence to back it up. I'd assume it was a club decision rather than Mourinho's, and if they feel it's not an appropriate day to be discussing football matters then I fully agree.

iKeano

Agreed. Feels a bit tasteless to me

iKeano

That's a pretty poor accusation to make unless you have any evidence to back it up. I'd assume it was a club decision rather than Mourinho's, and if they feel it's not an appropriate day to be discussing football matters then I fully agree.
As do I, but just think it would have been a better move if they'd come out, read a statement saying as much and left. This is a club that sanctioned the embarassing wearing of those 'Rojo' & 'Ibrahimovic' training tops in the warm up after the Celta game. Also looks bad 2 days after Josés 10 second press conference.

Anyway. In Manchester today, other issues transcend football.

I love this city.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

WTF?

Seriously, just think abit before you type out such rubbish.

shaky

As do I, but just think it would have been a better move if they'd come out, read a statement saying as much and left. This is a club that sanctioned the embarassing wearing of those 'Rojo' & 'Ibrahimovic' training tops in the warm up after the Celta game. Also looks bad 2 days after Josés 10 second press conference.

Anyway. In Manchester today, other issues transcend football.

I love this city.
The club have issued a statement, they are quite right to leave it at that and let Manchester focus on non-footballing matters for the day. There is absolutely no relevance to the daft training tops or Jose's presser on Sunday.

AngliaRed

Just read a statement from JM on twitter.

"I know, even during my short time here, that the people of Manchester will pull together as one."

"We have a job to do & will fly to Sweden to do that job. It's a pity we cannot fly with the happiness we always have before a big game.

"I Jose Mourinho: "We're all very sad about the tragic events last night; we can't take out of our minds & hearts the victims & their families.know, even during my short time here, that the people of Manchester will pull together as one."

I'm devastated but the worlds media will be watching us tomorrow night, let's bring the trophy home.

Status
Not open for further replies.