Alabama outlaws abortion

Carolina Red

Staff
By what measure do you call one position "inherently extreme" and the other "inherently moderate". Sounds a lot like the "terrorist vs freedom fighter" debate we had in the press where I live about a social uprising, it all depends on your personal viewpoint.

In my view, the extreme angle of arguing against abortions is saying no abortions in any condition, under no circumstances whatsoever.
My measure?

Allowing people to have a choice - moderate

Not allowing people to have a choice - extreme

It’s a pretty easy measuring stick to follow.

Dave89

Didn't take you long to delete my post objecting to being called a rape apologist while the original stands. Unbelievable. Is that what you call civil discourse? Will you let this post stand so people can draw their own conclusions or will this be covered up too?

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Poor people who have kids are more likely to remain poor. For a lot of women, having kids is a major barrier to career advancement.
Okay, I take it you understand we are talking about the economic development of a country here, not of individuals. So, are you saying people in poor countries should stop procreating?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
By what measure do you call one position "inherently extreme" and the other "inherently moderate". Sounds a lot like the "terrorist vs freedom fighter" debate we had in the press where I live about a social uprising, it all depends on your personal viewpoint.

In my view, the extreme angle of arguing against abortions is saying no abortions in any condition, under no circumstances whatsoever.
It's depriving people of rights vs giving them more personal freedom.

Surely most Americans would lean towards the latter and call it a more positive or moderate course of action.

Reiver

I supported my wife through a particularly difficult pregnancy, birth and post birth period. The effect on her health, both physically and mentally, were significant. I know not all pregnancies are like this and I know some can be more difficult. As a man, I would never presume I have the right to force or legislate that a woman go through with a pregnancy. This is just my view about me and I'm not saying men don't get a say in these things. But I do think there is something inherently wrong when, in the case of Alabama, these decisions about women's bodies are made by men.
If my wife were to become pregnant again, given what she previously went through, I would absolutely support her right to choose, and be opposed to any organisation or state that denied her this.

As an aside, I would also like to say that the extreme anti-abortion wing that exists in the USA and elsewhere are terrorists and should be treated as such, in my opinion.

Green_Red

This is what it boils down to - most EU Member States and EU institutions itself recognize that an unborn child may have rights, albeit limited ones, but only after a certain period of time. A foetus right after conception does not have an immediate right to live, and even if you recognize the right to live (which some dissending judges of court do), it's limited by the rights of the mother hence it's never an absolute right. In my opinion, surely the rights of the mother, an actual living human being, are a much bigger priority than the (limited) rights that the foetus (please don't call it a baby or child right after conception) has or should have. So yes, the right to live is important and should be prioritzed if everything is okay, but no right is absolute and conflicting rights should be balanced against each other.

In the US however, I understand that protection of unborn children is included in the right to live "in general, from the moment of conception".
That is how I understand the argument too. It's a legal minefield really. If you look at the first line of article 2 of the European Convention on Human Rights, "Everyone’s right to life shall be protected by law." Who/what is everyone? Unborn or just born? Do I have to become a citizen before I am afforded the rights? It's such a grey area. I know in a lot of constitutions that have citizens rights the argument is that a person is not a person until they are born, which is a little crazy really when you consider it.

I think we've had this debate in loads of other threads but the legal time limit is too high, regardless of what side of the debate you're on. At 22 weeks, a fetus could survive at that age, and younger. I've seen a 20 week old baby and make no mistake, it is not a fetus, it is a baby...

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Well, extreme describes a standpoint that can not really be exaggerated anymore. Moderate means it is a compromise. What you describe in your last sentence is essentially what has happened in Alabama. If the mother were to predictably die at childbirth is basically the only exception. If most people here prefer a similar solution as I do and which is implemented in a lot of european countries then that would mean being able to terminate a pregnancy up until a certain point of the fetal development usually between 12-24 weeks in I believe. This could be characterized as moderate sind an extreme would be to say a pregnancy can be terminated up until birth. Or to encourage abortions. No one here has really strongly argued for that so I would not claim our standpoints to be extreme.

Carolina Red

Staff
Didn't take you long to delete my post objecting to being called a rape apologist while the original stands. Unbelievable. Is that what you call civil discourse? Will you let this post stand so people can draw their own conclusions or will this be covered up too?
You made a report that was twice rejected by more than one person.

Quit being precious about it.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So... removing choice = moderate...?
I honestly don't think it works like this. I kind of supported your original assessment of extreme and moderate but there are indeed choices I like to have removed. Like killing my neighbour, you know :)

Carolina Red

Staff
I honestly don't think it works like this. I kind of supported your original assessment of extreme and moderate but there are indeed choices I like to have removed. Like killing my neighbour, you know :)
I mean.. yeah. But we aren’t talking about that :lol:

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
It's depriving people of rights vs giving them more personal freedom.

Surely most Americans would lean towards the latter and call it a more positive or moderate course of action.
First, why do you say "surely"? If they leaned towards the former won't you call them an extreme bunch? (I'm not American, by the way)
When the Far Right wins elections in any country aren't they still referred to as extremists?

My point is that the notion of moderate vs extreme is a very subjective one.

Fingeredmouse

Is it possible to be personally pro life and be pro choice for the general population? Surely I can't decide for others as well
Surely that is, by definition, pro-choice?

A person who would never have an abortion (and therefore that is only a woman) under any circumstances is perfectly within their rights to hold that ethical position. This person could, easily, however be for other individuals to have the choice. An individual who wishes to remove choice from the all people based on their perception of morality is not pro-choice.

Carolina Red

Staff
Is it possible to be personally pro life and be pro choice for the general population? Surely I can't decide for others as well
Absolutely, and it is a stance that I would greatly respect.

That’s what the pro-Choice argument truly is. You have the freedom to be “pro-_____”

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Well, extreme describes a standpoint that can not really be exaggerated anymore. Moderate means it is a compromise. What you describe in your last sentence is essentially what has happened in Alabama. If the mother were to predictably die at childbirth is basically the only exception. If most people here prefer a similar solution as I do and which is implemented in a lot of european countries then that would mean being able to terminate a pregnancy up until a certain point of the fetal development usually between 12-24 weeks in I believe. This could be characterized as moderate sind an extreme would be to say a pregnancy can be terminated up until birth. Or to encourage abortions. No one here has really strongly argued for that so I would not claim our standpoints to be extreme.
Well, we started out from a comment I made on the abortion debate society in general, not restricted to this forum.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Surely that is, by definition, pro-choice?

A person who would never have an abortion (and therefore that is only a woman) under any circumstances is perfectly within their rights to hold that ethical position. This person could, easily, however be for other individuals to have the choice. An individual who wishes to remove choice from the all people based on their perception of morality is not pro-choice.
I think branding and messaging is important. Pro choice is now synonymous with baby killing but I'm sure a lot more religious people would be happy to be termed as pro life personally but just not for legal purposes

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
First, why do you say "surely"? If they leaned towards the former won't you call them an extreme bunch? (I'm not American, by the way)
When the Far Right wins elections in any country aren't they still referred to as extremists?

My point is that the notion of moderate vs extreme is a very subjective one.
I say this because America is supposedly the land of the free, touting their societal freedom ad nauseam.

Both extreme right and extreme left are equally extreme. That's the feckwittery of extremism in general I can't wrap my head around. It's right there in the fecking word. On the topic of abortion though, there's nothing extreme about pro choice. It's not anti-life, it's not pro-choice, it's just pro-giving people the opportunity to terminate an unwanted pregnancy under certain circumstances.

I'm not American either by the way, but we're discussing Alabama here. At least I think so :)

Fingeredmouse

I think branding and messaging is important. Pro choice is now synonymous with baby killing but I'm sure a lot more religious people would be happy to be termed as pro life personally but just not for legal purposes
Indeed. The term "pro-life" is deliberately misleading. Clearly, pro-choice does not equate with anti-life and pro-life does not, very demonstrably, translate from those who hold absolutist views on abortion to other aspects of life and society consistently.
Who would want to be seen as "anti-life"? Except the Night King and maybe Satan on a bad day.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well, we started out from a comment I made on the abortion debate society in general, not restricted to this forum.
Well then that comment is not really helpful is it? Especially it does not really pertain to the discussion we are having here since you are not addressing any of us obviously.

Ainu

It's not like pro-choice people are against life. The term pro-life has simply been appropriated by that side of the argument and I think these terms distort the discussion somewhat. I'm sure there are women on the pro-choice side who would personally not have an abortion.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
I mean.. yeah. But we aren’t talking about that :lol:
Actually, it's funny, I know @Swarm said it in jest, but that's exactly how I view this debate. I would like the choice to kill removed. :)

Fingeredmouse

If you were to follow the logic of opponents of abortion then that is pretty much exactly what we are talking about ;)
Extreme logical extrapolation question: If a foetus crawled onto my property uninvited in Alabama would I legally be allowed to shoot and kill it?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
You call it "removing choice vs allowing choice"
I call it "allowing life vs terminating life"

See?
That's not the same and I hope you know that. Pro-choice does not equal against-life or terminating-life.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Extreme logical extrapolation question: If a foetus crawled onto my property uninvited in Alabama would I legally be allowed to shoot and kill it?
If you suspect it of having a concealed firearm I am sure you would be well within your rights :lol:

I guess that kind of loops back to the double murder for shooting a pregnant woman bit. It all in some way or another boils down to the question of how many rights we appropriate to an embryo or a fetus in utero. In my opinion until a certain point it does not make sense for that "life" to take precedence over the wellbeing of the mother.

Fingeredmouse

If you suspect it of having a concealed firearm I am sure you would be well within you rights :lol:

I guess that kind of loops back to the double murder for shooting a pregnant woman bit. It all in some way or another boils down to the question of how many rights we appropriate to an embryo or a fetus in utero. In my opinion until a certain point it does not make sense for that "life" to take precedence over the wellbeing of the mother.
Quite. That'd be my view.
Edited as I cannot type.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Moreover, I thought laws should follow ethics. Trying to argue ethics on the basis of existing laws is a bit odd.
I'm not the one who brought laws into it, he is.
I respect your opinion, you consider me a danger to society and I consider you too the same. Hope my opinion is respected as much as yours is.

This is the second time you use the argument in bold and I don't get it, what does abortion have to do with the level of development of a country. What connection do you make between economic development and terminating a pregnancy?
You're welcome to your opinion.

Considering there's a pattern in that more developed countries have far less strict abortion laws than less developed countries I'd say there's a direct relation there. Developed countries are generally more inclined to implement more progressive laws than developing countries are, and enabling abortion is progressive, not regressive. Hardly a coincidence that we're discussion this in relation to probably the most backwards state in the US.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Well then that comment is not really helpful is it? Especially it does not really pertain to the discussion we are having here since you are not addressing any of us obviously.
Well, yeah, maybe. I got drawn into this debate but initially I simply made a comment about the abortion debate in society at large.

Well, I think the abortion debate isn't about to be settled anytime soon. There will always be strong and deeply held views on both extremes, and also many shades of grey in-between, like this thread and the Abortion thread have shown.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Full scale attack on Roe V Wade at the moment .

Last edited:

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Pro-choice inherently includes allowing life.
That's not the same and I hope you know that. Pro-choice does not equal against-life or terminating-life.
I'll rephrase how I call it then: "Protecting all life vs Being allowed to terminate life"

Hope it's better understood now.

roseguy64

The main issue here is that one side advocates for life (inherently moderate) and the other side is arguing against life (inherently extreme).

See how controlling the language is a subtle way to try to win the debate?
You've argued an incorrect point against a logical point. You did not win the debate. You did not control the language. You butchered it.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
You view murdering a neighbor as morally equivalent to terminating a, let's say, 6 week pregnancy?
Sorry, I wouldn't like to get into this debate today. I have been drawn into it far too deep already. I didn't come into this thread for that. I think we're derailing the thread. I initially came in simply to point out that I didn't think this particular debate will be totally settled anytime soon as there are still many people with strong views on both sides (and between).