Alabama outlaws abortion

Carolina Red

Staff
At least if we all burn that will make one less pro-lifer and the world will be a better place, right?
What he's given you is called a "choiceless choice" aka "Sophie's choice". I teach about them in my Holocaust class. In them there's no "good decision", but there is a decision to make and you have to make it.

So... make a choice.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
What he's given you is called a "choiceless choice" aka "Sophie's choice". I teach about them in my Holocaust class. In them there's no "good decision", but there is a decision to make and you have to make it.

So... make a choice.
What does you giving a Holocaust class have to do with this?

Did you think asking if I’ll sit in fire with them would encourage me to answer? That was an unnecessarily sarcastic remark. If you weren’t a member of staff I’d almost think you were trying to wind me up.

I’ve already answered by saying it represents a moral dilemma for me. Unless I find myself in that situation I really can’t tell which option I will choose.

Carolina Red

Staff
What does you giving a Holocaust class have to do with this?

Did you think asking if I’ll sit in fire with them would encourage me to answer? That was an unnecessarily sarcastic remark. If you weren’t a member of staff I’d almost think you were trying to wind me up.

I’ve already answered by saying it represents a moral dilemma for me. Unless I find myself in that situation I really can’t tell which option I will choose.
1) I'm just pointing out that you're not being tricked here. It's an actual "thing" that is frequently used in educational settings because it is something that does happen in real life.

2) I said that remark because there is no real "other" option here. You must choose 1 of the 2 options he gave you in a "Sophie's choice" type situation, and because I'm used to having to give that "then you'll die too" response when students try to back out of answering a choiceless choice scenario.

3) Saying it is a moral dilemma isn't an answer. It's understood that it's a moral dilemma, that's why it's part of a "choiceless choice" exercise.

Baby or 1000 feritilized eggs...?

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
1) I'm just pointing out that you're not being tricked here. It's an actual "thing" that is frequently used in educational settings because it is something that does happen in real life.

2) I said that remark because there is no real "other" option here. You must choose 1 of the 2 options he gave you in a "Sophie's choice" type situation, and because I'm used to having to give that "then you'll die too" response when students try to back out of answering a choiceless choice scenario.

3) Saying it is a moral dilemma isn't an answer. It's understood that it's a moral dilemma, that's why it's part of a "choiceless choice" exercise.

Baby or 1000 feritilized eggs...?
My answer is C-“I don’t know”.

I would make that choice in the heat of the moment. Given too much time I will tend to overthink it and find myself shifting from one option to the other over and over.

Carolina Red

Staff
My answer is C-“I don’t know”.

I would make that choice in the heat of the moment. Given too much time I will tend to overthink it and find myself shifting from one option to the other over and over.
You have a really hard time understanding that there is no choice C, don't you?

Sophie was forced by a Nazi to choose whether her daughter or her son would be taken to Auschwitz, the other would be saved. If she choose "C", then they were both taken.

Again, there is no C.

The baby, the 1000 fertilized eggs, or all 1001 of them die (there's your C).

Abizzz

In every country that isn't black there are cases where it's allowed. In every country that isn't red it isn't restricted to saving the mothers life. I won't do the math but I'd be surprised if blue and green countries didn't make up 75% of the worlds population. I guess we can debate about what constitutes a "vast majority", but lets not.

It really isn't though. I feel like a lot of countries could do with updating their laws and a lot of them have only changed them recently (see Ireland). In the US they have been fighting abortions tooth and nail far longer than Trump has been president. It is simply a resurgence now that there is a conservative majority on the supreme court and they feel they can challenge Roe v Wade. I think this is a battle that si far from "won" in a quite significant part of the world.
Sure, in that sense there's a lot left to be done. Every place is very significant to those living there... I'm trying to say that the pro-life argument isn't validated by the existence of a lot of backward places.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
You have a really hard time understanding that there is no choice C, don't you?

Sophie was forced by a Nazi to choose whether her daughter or her son would be taken to Auschwitz, the other would be saved. If she choose "C", then they were both taken.

Again, there is no C.

The baby, the 1000 fertilized eggs, or all 1001 of them die (there's your C).
You have a really hard time understanding that I can’t tell until I find myself in that situation.

Sophie had to make a choice in the heat of the moment like I would do too if it came to that, she wasn’t asked on an Internet forum with nothing at stake (no pun intended).

Carolina Red

Staff
You have a really hard time understanding that I can’t tell until I find myself in that situation.

Sophie had to make a choice in the heat of the moment like I would do too if it came to that, she wasn’t asked on an Internet forum with nothing at stake (no pun intended).
That's pretty disappointing. My students were able to answer 10 of these. Heck, I'll even ask them this one too.

Abortion is a choiceless choice, too. You realize that, right?

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions

In every country that isn't black there are cases where it's allowed. In every country that isn't red it isn't restricted to saving the mothers life. I won't do the math but I'd be surprised if blue and green countries didn't make up 75% of the worlds population. I guess we can debate about what constitutes a "vast majority", but lets not.
But that map shows that the debate isn’t settled though, as even those restrictions still vary around the world. I’d argue it’s only in the deep blue and maybe green countries that the debate seems to have been closed (for now).

And by the way I’m not for the total unconditional banning, my personal view is found in one of the different shades, not black. As long as these different opinions exist the debate will go on.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
That's pretty disappointing. My students were able to answer 10 of these. Heck, I'll even ask them this one too.

Abortion is a choiceless choice, too. You realize that, right?
I know, I’m disappointed as well. I’m pretty devastated because that means I would get an F if I was one of your students.

Let’s agree to disagree about your last question and I really don’t want to be drawn into that debate, like I’ve said already multiple times in this thread.

PS: I can predict that your pro-choice students would very probably pick saving the baby, since the foetus is considered as not being “human”.

Carolina Red

Staff
I know, I’m disappointed as well. I’m pretty devastated because that means I would get an F if I was one of your students.

Let’s agree to disagree about your last question and I really don’t want to be drawn into that debate, like I’ve said already multiple times in this thread.

PS: I can predict that your pro-choice students would very probably pick saving the baby, since the foetus is considered as not being “human”.
Somebody said it earlier, but...

Just imagine being on a discussion forum to not discuss things.

Also, I wouldn’t give you an F on that. I’d just tell you you’ve let all of them in the fire when you could have saved one or the other. Good job.

Edit: 12 baby to 6 eggs. Class breakdown: 11 pro-life vs. 7 pro-choice

Last edited:

GiddyUp

Also, I wouldn’t give you an F on that. I’d just tell you you’ve let all of them in the fire when you could have saved one or the other. Good job.
Isn't it strange that a pro life advocate would refuse to answer your question because theywould have to be in that situation to consider it fully but wants a real choice taken away from people who are in a very real situation that would affect the rest of their lives and the childs.
A more apt question would be a choice between aborting a fetus after a horrific rape or that child been born and rights given to the father who is very obvious a scumbag rapist cnut. That's a very real question that female victims of abuse face everyday. Not a hypothetical but something that can happen to any woman in our lives.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions

About the discussing things, to each day it’s own fight. I’ve picked my fight for today, I’ll have that other argument on another day. My purpose delving into this particular thread was only to discuss that this topic is by no means closed in society as I saw that some seemed to think, but the debate is still very much open.

And yes, in the virtual scenario I’ve left all of them in the fire. If it ever happens to me in real life I’ll be sure to make a choice and I’m pretty sure I’ll pick an option on impulse quite fast.

Carolina Red

Staff
Isn't it strange that a pro life advocate would refuse to answer your question because theywould have to be in that situation to consider it fully but wants a real choice taken away from people who are in a very real situation that would affect the rest of their lives and the childs.
Yeah, crazy stuff isn't it.

I'm interested if he had that self realization...
A more apt question would be a choice between aborting a fetus after a horrific rape or that child been born and rights given to the father who is very obvious a scumbag rapist cnut. That's a very real question that female victims of abuse face everyday. Not a hypothetical but something that can happen to any woman in our lives.
If he's up to answering this one again, we might find out.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
I’m happy you corrected it to a more realistic question because the live baby or thousand foetuses question isn’t a very realistic one, to be fair, and has little to do with what pro-lifers advocate.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Yeah, crazy stuff isn't it.

I'm interested if he had that self realization...

If he's up to answering this one again, we might find out.
Yes, I do realise the difficulty of that particular choice (in the case of rape).

And no, I still wouldn’t answer because then I’ll have to justify my answer and explain lots of things which I've decided I don’t want to do today.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Also it was pointed out earlier that a very tiny portion of abortion requests come from rape victims so it’s not even the core of the abortion debate either

I can't speak for @Dave89 but I'm not against abortions for women who have been raped.

What's the % of abortions for rape victims? I don't know...

Did a quick search and wouldn't say the NY Times is a conservative mouthpiece, but their % is very low. 1%

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/10/13/us/rape-and-incest-just-1-of-all-abortions.html

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Question for the pro-lifers; in a legal environment where women have the choice to abort a pregnancy or not abort a pregnancy, no one is forcing you to abort babies, so why do you feel it is just to deny women that choice?

Carolina Red

Staff
And no, I still wouldn’t answer because then I’ll have to justify my answer
Actually, in a Sophie's choice you're not supposed to be asked to justify your answer. I never ask my students to justify theirs.

What's the point in justification if there's no good choice to be made?

But that is typically why people don't answer choiceless choice questions... they're afraid of judgment.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Actually, in a Sophie's choice you're not supposed to be asked to justify your answer. I never ask my students to justify theirs.

What's the point in justification if there's no good choice to be made?

But that is typically why people don't answer choiceless choice questions... they're afraid of judgment.
Indeed, I understood that yet I still couldn’t make a hypothetical choice for the baby vs thousand foetuses dilemma.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Question for the pro-lifers; in a legal environment where women have the choice to abort a pregnancy or not abort a pregnancy, no one is forcing you to abort babies, so why do you feel it is just to deny women that choice?
I wouldn't call myself Pro Life so maybe I'm not allowed to answer your question so I won't. But I'll ask why is it that Abortion can be allowed to be such a casual response to a casual mistake? In what other walks of life do you not have to live with the consequences of such a serious mistake?

But I'm not Pro Life because I won't tell women what to do with their bodies and I'll say as someone 'religious' that religion shouldn't be involved in state law making or law enforcement because we've seen the cruelty that has resulted in religion taking that out of women's hands but rather advocate from a separated church and preach that yes, life is sacred, all life, innocent or wicked.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Where a woman cannot afford a child, has sleepless nights over how she'll feed the child, and all we say as a society is "you can have an abortion, plain and simple", it is disgusting as a society to pat ourselves on the back and pretend we gave her any sort of choice. There is no choice there.

I understand the complexities where rape is involved, but where any woman feels that an abortion is her only option financially, we have failed her.
It’s not just a financial decision. You can use that to bolster your argument, but there is far more involved in it.
A woman needs to be allowed to make that decision apart from the delusion of religions& apart from gender politics foisted upon her by men.

Fingeredmouse

I wouldn't call myself Pro Life so maybe I'm not allowed to answer your question so I won't. But I'll ask why is it that Abortion can be allowed to be such a casual response to a casual mistake? In what other walks of life do you not have to live with the consequences of such a serious mistake?

But I'm not Pro Life because I won't tell women what to do with their bodies and I'll say as someone 'religious' that religion shouldn't be involved in state law making or law enforcement because we've seen the cruelty that has resulted in religion taking that out of women's hands but rather advocate from a separated church and preach that yes, life is sacred, all life, innocent or wicked.
That is an interestingly broad use of the word casual.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
That is an interestingly broad use of the word casual.
Well substitute your own word. I'm obviously not discussing rape responsible for a tiny proportion of the abortions undertaken but instead abortion being substituted for contraception in that 'casual' sense.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I don't understand why a woman should have to go through with a pregnancy if that conception happens through rape or incest.

Fingeredmouse

Well substitute your own word. I'm obviously not discussing rape responsible for a tiny proportion of the abortions undertaken but instead abortion being substituted for contraception in that 'casual' sense.
Yes, but people don't use abortion as contraception nor consider having an abortion a causal matter. People make mistakes but, "feck it, I'll get an abortion" isn't really a common mindset. I think casual is a harsh word to use and not many people are blase about getting an abortion I can't imagine. It's not that hard to make a mistake and get pregnant.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Yes, but people don't use abortion as contraception nor consider having an abortion a causal matter. People make mistakes but, "feck it, I'll get an abortion" isn't really a common mindset. I think casual is a harsh word to use and not many people are blase about getting an abortion I can't imagine. It's not that hard to make a mistake and get pregnant.
I'm sorry, I can't say I know the mindset but I'm glad I have you to tell me. Maybe it is a harsh word but it's a serious matter so we do need to talk about it in serious terms. My belief is that making a mistake and getting pregnant is not the sort of mistake we should be having. Maybe we all need a different mindset.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Boom.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I have 3 questions for @Dave89

1. What about abortion where the mother's life is at serious risk if she is forced to carry to term and attempt delivery? Or if both the mother and child's lives are at serious risk?

2. What if your wife was raped (horrible scenario that I apologise for using) and she turned to you and said she wanted an abortion. Would you support her? Or try to force her to change her mind?

3. Off topic, but what about euthenasia for terminal patients who are in excruciating agony but of sound mind and wanting to end their lives?

Dr. Dwayne

You are always allowed to answer any of my questions @oates

You give a good answer, by the way. I'll just say that I'm glad I'm not a woman and don't have to make or live with that kind of choice as it surely must be a difficult one in many cases.

Fingeredmouse

I'm sorry, I can't say I know the mindset but I'm glad I have you to tell me. Maybe it is a harsh word but it's a serious matter so we do need to talk about it in serious terms. My belief is that making a mistake and getting pregnant is not the sort of mistake we should be having. Maybe we all need a different mindset.
But mistakes do happen, whether they should or shouldn't happen for all sorts of reasons. That doesn't make mistakes ok, but I don't believe the option to rectify those mistakes shouldn't be available.

I'm also not telling you about mindsets. I don't believe people take abortion lightly or see it as contraception or as casual. I may be wrong, but not in my experience. I consider it a highly serious matter too. I believe the people who get abortions also think it is serious.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
You are always allowed to answer any of my questions @oates

You give a good answer, by the way. I'll just say that I'm glad I'm not a woman and don't have to make or live with that kind of choice as it surely must be a difficult one in many cases.
I don't want to make life even more difficult for women in a difficult situation, it's not my place to put them to the torture but we realise that there are different causes and can only have sympathy for all. However the result isn't always as pleasant as the cause and I suppose I am talking about those who believe it or not - and it isn't just the woman's decision making at fault - where the cause isn't a choice of contraception. I've a wife who touched on it earlier on in this thread and when you understand that a lot of the business is repeat then we're not talking about a lot of care taken.

Personally I think anyone denying Abortion to women whose contraception has failed or is the result or coercion, or rape deserves a special hell here on Earth but Pro-Choice needs to talk about not just other options and still their right to an abortion but also counsel ignorance and laziness. In our society we should be still about fixing problems not denying they exist.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
But mistakes do happen, whether they should or shouldn't happen for all sorts of reasons. That doesn't make mistakes ok, but I don't believe the option to rectify those mistakes shouldn't be available.

I'm also not telling you about mindsets. I don't believe people take abortion lightly or see it as contraception or as casual. I may be wrong, but not in my experience. I consider it a highly serious matter too. I believe the people who get abortions also think it is serious.
Thank you for your reply, hopefully my reply to Dwazza is also suitable to you with the content.

Dr. Dwayne

I don't want to make life even more difficult for women in a difficult situation, it's not my place to put them to the torture but we realise that there are different causes and can only have sympathy for all. However the result isn't always as pleasant as the cause and I suppose I am talking about those who believe it or not - and it isn't just the woman's decision making at fault - where the cause isn't a choice of contraception. I've a wife who touched on it earlier on in this thread and when you understand that a lot of the business is repeat then we're not talking about a lot of care taken.

Personally I think anyone denying Abortion to women whose contraception has failed or is the result or coercion, or rape deserves a special hell here on Earth but Pro-Choice needs to talk about not just other options and still their right to an abortion but also counsel ignorance and laziness. In our society we should be still about fixing problems not denying they exist.
Oh I understand that. It was rumoured that the one of the partners at a restaurant where I worked at did just that (it was owned by a husband and wife) because she didn't want to have kids. I'm not sure we need to be concerned about those people. We wouldn't want them having kids anyway.

Achilles McCool

Just feck off.
They only care about life until its born, if the baby dies because the parents can't afford medical treatment then feck 'em
I was thinking they've probably all raped someone.
I feel like the debate is actually quite civil.

I think people have also been quite civil with @Dave89[/USER

Civil?

And it looks like the moderators deleted @Florida Man s request for Dave to be raped.