Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set

Brophs

The One and Only
What’s the Latin maxim for “Let’s take Baldwin down a peg or two”?

Glorio

I find this case really weird, but as I've not paid a lot of attention to it, I'm sure there are elements I'm missing.

I understand folks wanting their pound of flesh, but how is it the actor's fault that the prop gun is loaded?
Even if he was the producer, if he did his due diligence and hired someone who was by all accounts deemed capable for the job, what's he facing criminal charges for?

RedDevilQuebecois

I thought the armorer was supposed to be indicted with negligence all the way back in June because of the following:

To sum it up, Gutierrez Reed has or did the following:
  • two counts of involuntary manslaughter;
  • transferred narcotics to another person “with the intent to prevent the apprehension, prosecution or conviction of herself”;
  • was likely hungover when she loaded a prop gun with a live round of ammunition;
  • was drinking heavily and smoking marijuana in the evenings during the shooting of Rust.
How the hell is any of this supposed to be Alec Baldwin's responsibility?

mitChley

I thought the armorer was supposed to be indicted with negligence all the way back in June because of the following:

How the hell is any of this supposed to be Alec Baldwin's responsibility?
He was not just acting, he was also a producer. He was part of the team responsible for hiring the clowns. He didn't just pull the trigger, he helped foster the environment where such a mistake could be made (due to cutting budgets resulting in poor quality if staff in set).

Drainy

Interesting reaction.
They fecked up the filing the last time, so withdrew to correct it. Baldwin tried publicising it as an exoneration but they were always going to refile, in my view.

Whether he gets convicted, decent enough shot based on what we know, but we'll have to see. Don't think he'll get prison time though regardless.

Don't Kill Bill

They fecked up the filing the last time, so withdrew to correct it. Baldwin tried publicising it as an exoneration but they were always going to refile, in my view.

Whether he gets convicted, decent enough shot based on what we know, but we'll have to see. Don't think he'll get prison time though regardless.
Really, is that the best term that came to mind?

lsd

The Oracle
I've always thought the producers role was either a financial one or like an extra credit given to someone without having any real purpose in the actual film.

Plus from what I've read Baldwin was not the only producer of this film

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
He was not just acting, he was also a producer. He was part of the team responsible for hiring the clowns. He didn't just pull the trigger, he helped foster the environment where such a mistake could be made (due to cutting budgets resulting in poor quality if staff in set).
I think that’s the argument that gets him. That the armorer they (the producers, of which he is the best known) hired wasn’t very experienced. If they paid more they could have gotten one that was better at their job.
If he was just an actor then he’d probably just slide.

Drainy

The armourer's trial starts today, one of the other people who handled the gun accepted a plea.

Will be interesting to hear what her defence is

Drainy

Hannah Gutierrez found guilty of involuntary manslaughter, but not guilty of evidence tampering (for hiding her coke)

Onto Alec Baldwin next

pacifictheme

Unless they can prove that he knew I can not see how Baldwin can be convicted of a crime. Seems mad to me.

Drainy

Unless they can prove that he knew I can not see how Baldwin can be convicted of a crime. Seems mad to me.
There are now 2 people convicted who didn't 'know' there was a real bullet in there.

The point is that they should have properly checked, not checking properly was an unjustified risk that led to a death.

Baldwin might be able to argue that it wasn't process for him to check, but he was responsible for the process and from what I've heard it's policy of Screen Actors Guild (damn you Matt Stone and Trey Parker for making me think of Team America) to check yourself, but I guess we'll find out properly at the trial

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Involuntary manslaughter if he's responsible overall?

Nothing about this is good and that includes him not really being directly involved but he was in charge and someone died so he's culpable.

Drainy

No way Baldwin sees a day in jail now.
He probably won't even if found guilty, and in fairness he probably shouldn't given the lack of criminal history and other mitigations.

The conviction of others doesn't change anything legally, and practically if the jury are correctly vetted