Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set

Withnail

After career of 30-40 years shooting many times in dozens of movies knowing that the armorers have a stringent protocol for that reason to not happen, I don't think is fair for the actor (it is for the producer as they hire the low cost armorer). If not they would need to personally check all the cables, harness, mattress etc for the stunts, pyrotechnics, explosions, etc... They are not the professionals

Real bullets should never cross the building
Baldwin was also the producer.

Drainy

After career of 30-40 years shooting many times in dozens of movies knowing that the armorers have a stringent protocol for that reason to not happen, I don't think is fair for the actor (it is for the producer as they hire the low cost armorer). If not they would need to personally check all the cables, harness, mattress etc for the stunts, pyrotechnics, explosions, etc... They are not the professionals

Real bullets should never cross the building
Have you ever watched a trial involving a gun?

Quite often the lawyers will get the gun out to show the jury, and guess what happens, everyone who will handle the gun witnesses the check and they still don't aim it at anyone. This is after the gun has been in an evidence locker for years and has probably has been disabled.

It's not good enough to be feckless handling a firearm.

Its reckless to point a gun at someone on the expectation that someone has cleared it and you are culpable if someone dies..

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Have you ever watched a trial involving a gun?

Quite often the lawyers will get the gun out to show the jury, and guess what happens, everyone who will handle the gun witnesses the check and they still don't aim it at anyone. This is after the gun has been in an evidence locker for years and has probably has been disabled.

It's not good enough to be feckless handling a firearm.

Its reckless to point a gun at someone on the expectation that someone has cleared it and you are culpable if someone dies..
I understand not to be reckless, but if I am convinced it is a prop, is like a toy and will be used as such in a few seconds. Is not like a gun that might have a bullet in the chamber that had been or will be used as a real gun

And yes, I get you, and I agree to a certain extend, but not to the extend to put someone to jail when the responsibility should be for the professional that handed the gun and the person who hire it them

Sara125

:lol:
That’s still one of the weirdest celeb stories I’ve ever read. They’re barking mad the lot of them.
I don’t know if you’ve seen it but there’s a clip where she’s on a cooking segment or some sort on some talk show and she pretended to not know how to say ‘cucumber’ in English…her native language. Genuinely one of the best things I’ve seen on YouTube :lol:

ExoduS

If there is justice, Alec should go to prison for a long time, but he probably will just walk. So much negligence and recklessness at that movie set. Alec, as a producer, knew there were real ammo at the set. He should have also checked the weapon when handed to him, it is a protocol that he didn't follow.

Sara125

If there is justice, Alec should go to prison for a long time, but he probably will just walk. So much negligence and recklessness at that movie set. Alec, as a producer, knew there were real ammo at the set. He should have also checked the weapon when handed to him, it is a protocol that he didn't follow.
What exactly is the situation? I’ve seen people say it’s the prop manager’s responsibility. No one else’s. So why’s he getting all the stick?

ExoduS

What exactly is the situation? I’ve seen people say it’s the prop manager’s responsibility. No one else’s. So why’s he getting all the stick?
He is the producer who hired the prop manager. He knew there are live firearms at the set. He has a responsibility to check the weapon given to him per protocol and rules of New Mexico. Armorer is also charged.

Sara125

He is the producer who hired the prop manager. He knew there are live firearms at the set. He has a responsibility to check the weapon given to him per protocol and rules of New Mexico. Armorer is also charged.
Do you reckon the prosecution team have a case against Alec?

ExoduS

Do you reckon the prosecution team have a case against Alec?
Yes they do, prosecution doesn't go with late charge like this without solid evidence. Knowing US legal system, Alec will probably walk free.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Why does everything have to be reported like you are 8 years old and telling your classmates how strong your dad is. Fecking pathetic people.

RedDevilQuebecois

That probably means the weapons supervisor, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed will take the fall. I honestly can't say it was not deserved if anything.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Not knowing all the ins and outs of responsibility on a set my 1st thought is that it’s the armorer’s job to make sure a gun is safe before handing to the actor/producer. That’s her job, right?

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Not knowing all the ins and outs of responsibility on a set my 1st thought is that it’s the armorer’s job to make sure a gun is safe before handing to the actor/producer. That’s her job, right?
Yes, that is her job and the armourer is the only person on set who is supposed to handle the weapons before an actor. And despite what some say, Baldwin as the actor never had to check because of their being an armourer.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Yes, that is her job and the armourer is the only person on set who is supposed to handle the weapons before an actor. And despite what some say, Baldwin as the actor never had to check because of their being an armourer.
But he's also the producer and as far as my understanding goes, he is partly to blame.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Baldwin hired the armourer an i assume as producer is the ultimate liable responsible of what happens in the production to a certain degree. If it would be a fire that would kill a person in his production, he would be responsible and he would need to have insurance to cover certain aspects of it. The person that cause the fire (equally in this case the armourer) would be guilty in some aspects as directly causing the problem and the producer as happening in its production and for hiring who cause it

RedDevilQuebecois

I guess we are approaching the end of this saga.

To sum it up, Gutierrez Reed has or did the following:
  • two counts of involuntary manslaughter;
  • transferred narcotics to another person “with the intent to prevent the apprehension, prosecution or conviction of herself”;
  • was likely hungover when she loaded a prop gun with a live round of ammunition;
  • was drinking heavily and smoking marijuana in the evenings during the shooting of Rust.
Enjoy prison time, you fecking idiot.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
How did I miss this? Was it really the case? That kind of modification could be disastrous.

I guess we are approaching the end of this saga.

To sum it up, Gutierrez Reed has or did the following:
  • two counts of involuntary manslaughter;
  • transferred narcotics to another person “with the intent to prevent the apprehension, prosecution or conviction of herself”;
  • was likely hungover when she loaded a prop gun with a live round of ammunition;
  • was drinking heavily and smoking marijuana in the evenings during the shooting of Rust.
Enjoy prison time, you fecking idiot.
Damn. That's awful if true although not surprising for the US (or the film industry :nervous:).

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
October 2021 was in the upper right corner, so it seems like it was before the incident.
Ah yeah, missed that. Obviously don't know enough details about the actual incident but from this it seems like he was very conscious of keeping the crew safe.