Aleksandar Mitrovic

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
He is not nearly good enough for United, not even as third-choice.

Also, attitude issues.

Hope he fecks off to Arabia and never plays for the national team again.

Strelok

Another potentially off to Saudi.

Definitely a low ball bid. Would surely be a top signing for us at that price if Fulham will consider it?
If 25m we should bite their hands off. What a bargain. He's cnut but I don't mind if he's our cnut. And imo he'd fit pretty well the profile ETH is looking for.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He is not nearly good enough for United, not even as third-choice.

Also, attitude issues.

Hope he fecks off to Arabia and never plays for the national team again.
He would be instantly the best striker at the club

Judas

Open to offers
He would be instantly the best striker at the club
Yeah, but that says more about the mess that is our current striking options than it does about him.

I am baffled so many are wanting him, as usual if we've not made enough signings, people get twitchy and will happily accept ANYONE. This would be a horrible bit of business.

Strelok

Sure. If we want to settle for mediocrity.
Do you want us to start the season with Martial as our main #9? Or that 19 yo kid? What are the alternatives here?

Anyway yeah don't think Fulham would sell him let alone for 25m.

tomaldinho1

But that's initial bid not the final one and United would also have to compete with the Wages he is being offered by Saudis to some extent to tempt him .

And from his point of view this offer might not even be available in year or two it could basically be now or never for Him .
Yeah let's see. I feel like if you come united with his reputation (decent not elite player) you're probably coming in at £150k a week on a short deal. The long term benefit of United, particularly if he has a good season, is massive though and would be difficult to turn down when he can make that move in a year or two but have a genuine chance of winning thing in Europe.

I am hopeful we don't resort to signing him but it looks like the money isn't there for a big name

evil_geko

He is above average, let's not make things up just because you hate his attitude, would love him here.

Strelok

19 year old kid please.
Tbh I have no idea if he'd be great, average or flop badly here. Imo the chances are even so I'd rather have someone who is average but at least I know what I will get. Plus if 25m we can get both imo.

Anyway like hell Fulham would let him go let alone for 25m so discussing this is quite pointless imo.

evil_geko

That's the standard we're striving for now is it? You'd think the window closed tomorrow. The stink of desperation in here is so strong.
Yes, it is the standard we are striving temporarily when you consider we have no striker and no money for one. It is not desperation, it is current reality.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’d be disappointed if we get a young striker right now.

It seems like the right time to take a stop gap striker like Taremi or Mitrovic but we are not doing it because we went for experienced strikers at the wrong time when young strikers like Haaland were available.

Get Kane, Mitrovic or Taremi and assess the next young striker or even add Toney in a couple months time.

Judas

Open to offers
I’d be disappointed if we get a young striker right now.

It seems like the right time to take a stop gap striker like Taremi or Mitrovic but we are not doing it because we went for experienced strikers at the wrong time when young strikers like Haaland were available.

Get Kane, Mitrovic or Taremi and assess the next young striker or even add Toney in a couple months time.
So now we're finally looking to get a young striker in, people want another cheap old striker instead, even though there's been nothing but moaning about this approach for years? My head hurts.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
As would any other average striker we could buy. That isn't the standard for a purchase.
Agreed and its sad its a fact

Yeah, but that says more about the mess that is our current striking options than it does about him.

I am baffled so many are wanting him, as usual if we've not made enough signings, people get twitchy and will happily accept ANYONE. This would be a horrible bit of business.
Not at the ANYONE point yet - but id take ANYONE over another season of Martial

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He is above average, let's not make things up just because you hate his attitude, would love him here.
If you just look at his rate of returns this season (ignoring his previous seasons of poorer PL returns) and ignore all the downsides he brings in general play then sure, he is above average at PL level.

For those of us not inclined to do that, he is a painfully average CF.

Adamsk7

I’d be all for this with Hojland. Let’s face it, the striker market is absolutely diabolical at the moment. I can’t think of even 10 strikers that I would be 100% convinced about, let alone shortening that list further by ones that are actually available.

We are going to have to take a punt on talent and Hojland is clearly about as good as you can get in that regard, so having someone PL proven like Mitrovic as a safety net would be fantastic

gajender

Yeah let's see. I feel like if you come united with his reputation (decent not elite player) you're probably coming in at £150k a week on a short deal. The long term benefit of United, particularly if he has a good season, is massive though and would be difficult to turn down when he can make that move in a year or two but have a genuine chance of winning thing in Europe.

I am hopeful we don't resort to signing him but it looks like the money isn't there for a big name
There is no Guarantee Saudi's would be offering such wages going forward and Mitrovic could be taking massive risk if he misses out this time around and no amount of United Brand association even If Mitrovic succeed here can make up for that amount even in the long run .

Yes there are plenty of footballing reasons to Choose United over Saudi but if the money is primary factor then no United doesn't stand a Chance . He is allegedly being offered €25 m a year for 3 year contract tax free you simply can't compete against that in monetary terms .

evil_geko

If you just look at his rate of returns this season (ignoring his previous seasons of poorer PL returns) and ignore all the downsides he brings in general play then sure, he is above average at PL level.

For those of us not inclined to do that, he is a painfully average CF.
Not ignoring anything, been following him for a long time and through most of his national games too, I know what I am talking about with him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
So now we're finally looking to get a young striker in, people want another cheap old striker instead, even though there's been nothing but moaning about this approach for years? My head hurts.
Because there was a more available young striker available just with Haaland who was quite close to our threshold.

It felt like shit having the ability to sign Haaland but using strikers like Zlatan and Cavani. We even had Greenwood coming through our squad.

Now for me the next best young striker seems to be Ferguson of Brighton - so it’s best to see how he goes and have space in our squad for a striker like that as soon as he is available.

The price will hardly change but just get more non negotiable with his performances.

For me signing a player like Hojlund

a) blocks the ability to sign a potentially better striker in Ferguson from squad positioning
B) might not work because he seems hardly that great anyway even for Denmark watchers
C) might completely flop and we lose our money
D) might even make our team struggle to get the top 4 because of a lack of balance it might bring to our team

Im just worried because I think this time next year we can easily find a better player than Hojlund (even if it’s not Ferguson) & for once the better players than Hojlund seem to be the more experienced but varying in availability players like Kane, Toney, Taremi & Mitrovic.

And.. there’s a potential in the return of a striker in our squad depending on our clubs thoughts and ideas.

Take a paracetamol bro.

alexanderplatz

Don’t understand people saying he’s mediocre, he definitely is not.
I would say I’ve seen him up close in at least 25 games across the championship and the premier league.
First of all his strength is crazy. He shrugs people off for fun and I’ve seen him swat away two or more players trying to rough him up on several occasions. I used to buy tickets behind the goal just to watch him up close at corners because he would just manhandle people and create openings either for himself or for others.

Second, he’s not lightning quick but he knows what to do with the ball at his feet. He’s like a big diesel and he slowly gets up to speed before he’s running at a defender on the back foot at a decent pace. Add to the fact that even a top level defender has trouble with his strength and he’s oddly effective in these scenarios. With the speed he’d have around him at United it would actually be pretty good I reckon.

Goalscoring ability is proven and really it only drops off because he’s relied on so much by Fulham. If he had his minutes managed then it would help him be a bit more consistent.
He’s also a good penalty taker under pressure.

Not saying he’s the best player ever but if he truly was available for 25-30m United could do a lot worse

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I’d be all for this with Hojland. Let’s face it, the striker market is absolutely diabolical at the moment. I can’t think of even 10 strikers that I would be 100% convinced about, let alone shortening that list further by ones that are actually available.

We are going to have to take a punt on talent and Hojland is clearly about as good as you can get in that regard, so having someone PL proven like Mitrovic as a safety net would be fantastic
If Mitrovic is "PL proven" then very little proof is needed in the PL these days.

This was his best PL season so far in four attempts and he scored just 0.01 more non-penalty goals every 90min than the 20 year old Hojlund managed in his first season in Serie A.

And Hojlund did that without hindering his team with obviously sub-par pace and mobility. Or indeed with ill-discipline.

Loon

:lol:
He's a massive gobshite, but I do wonder had he played instead of Weghorst...

tomaldinho1

There is no Guarantee Saudi's would be offering such wages going forward and Mitrovic could be taking massive risk if he misses out this time around and no amount of United Brand association even If Mitrovic succeed here can make up for that amount even in the long run .

Yes there are plenty of footballing reasons to Choose United over Saudi but if the money is primary factor then no United doesn't stand a Chance . He is allegedly being offered €25 m a year for 3 year contract tax free you simply can't compete against that in monetary terms .
So far the people who seem to be heading to Saudi are older players who want a final massive payday (Kante, Benz, Mendy, Firmino, Brozovic, Koulibally) or players who candidly are at good clubs but there's no real interest from the real elite clubs where you can win leagues and CL trophies like Neves and Milinkovic-Savic. Mitrovic doesn't really fall into either category, he's at a mid table club and despite seemingly being around forever is only 28, this is pure speculation on my part but I would think if the chance to win something (whilst still obviously getting a massive pay rise) with a low risk transfer to a genuinely huge club was offered it would be more appealing then a huge payday and effectively retiring.

I get your point that the Saudi league might not be splashing cash in a year or two but I am assuming he's grown up wanting to win the PL and CL and probably feels he has a good 5-6 years left in the game.

He's a massive gobshite, but I do wonder had he played instead of Weghorst...
A training cone could have notched up more than the one assist Weghorst managed.

Mitrovic would be probably only be the second worst striker we've ever had at the club.

acolyte

So far the people who seem to be heading to Saudi are older players who want a final massive payday (Kante, Benz, Mendy, Firmino, Brozovic, Koulibally) or players who candidly are at good clubs but there's no real interest from the real elite clubs where you can win leagues and CL trophies like Neves and Milinkovic-Savic. Mitrovic doesn't really fall into either category, he's at a mid table club and despite seemingly being around forever is only 28, this is pure speculation on my part but I would think if the chance to win something (whilst still obviously getting a massive pay rise) with a low risk transfer to a genuinely huge club was offered it would be more appealing then a huge payday and effectively retiring.

I get your point that the Saudi league might not be splashing cash in a year or two but I am assuming he's grown up wanting to win the PL and CL and probably feels he has a good 5-6 years left in the game.
Which of the elite clubs are actually interested in him though? Despite everyone and their dog needing a striker this summer I haven't heard of any solid links for him. I think he fits into your second group with Neves and Milinkovic-Savic

tomaldinho1

Which of the elite clubs are actually interested in him though? Despite everyone and their dog needing a striker this summer I haven't heard of any solid links for him. I think he fits into your second group with Neves and Milinkovic-Savic
Yeah they probably aren't but we're working on the hypothetical United go in for him. Reality is likely no one is interested because his price for a domestic move will be too much