Aleksander Ceferin says Champions League final could be played in America (post your hate)

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
. European sports are pyramidal and largely based on merit which is fair unlike US sports.
That was true probably 60 years ago.

Where is the merit of City, and Newcastle allowing a countries to buy them to pump cash and make them top teams, and compete for the Premier League?

And that isn't all, the bosman law benefited more the rich clubs than the others, cause before that they were limited with the foreign quota at least, now they don't have a foreign quota, and can sign many players from different nationalities(in case a national player isn't good enough) as much as as they want.

Sorry, but 'merit' in Football was destroyed while ago.

International tournaments(as boring as they can be) are the closest thing we get to 'merit' now.

arthurka

Fans need to make some noise and the clubs who of course have the fans best interest in mind need to stop this at birth.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That was true probably 50-60 years ago.

Where is the merit of City, and Newcastle allowing a countries to buy them to pump cash and make them top teams, and compete for the Premier League?

And that isn't all, the bosman law benefited more the rich clubs, cause before that they were limited with the foreign quota, now they don't have a foreign quota, and can sign many players from different nationalities(in case a national player isn't good enough) as much as as they want.

Sorry, but 'merit' in Football was destroyed while ago.

International tournaments are the closest thing we get to 'merit' now.
Your point only make sense if you ignore the vast majority of Football in Europe. The system includes thousands of clubs not dozens.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Francophones don't claim you, so Newfoundlanders it is.
Canadian francophones don't have to claim me to sound nothing like US midwesterners though. I don't actually have that kind of influence I'm afraid.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Your point only make sense if you ignore the vast majority of Football in Europe. The system includes thousands of clubs not dozens.
It does make sense, Football was already broken , now it is more broken after Bosman law.

Porto, Benfica and Ajax can hardly compite for the UCL anymore.

I understand that there is more football outside of the 5 biggest european countries, but that doesn't disprove my point about denying that 'merit' is a thing in modern Football.

RedDevilQuebecois

Go feck yourself, Ceferin.

Traditions exist for a reason, you fool. How many more stadiums do you want to have as capable of hosting a Champions League final? How many more places in Europe have you not explored for such yet?

If Old Trafford ever goes the distance with the right renovation plan, I can see it host another final.

Reyoji-Utd

If there isnt a wide backlash from fans like we did with ESL then maybe ESL isnt that bad of an idea.

Maybe all the big clubs saw it coming and said fck it why should we let them UEFA ruin us and make tons of money on top of it. We should just create our own competition and get all the money ourselves as all they come up is bad an idea as us anyway.

Next, fans will see football is being played on football pitch fill with money...

bringbackbebe

Why would, a purely European competition, be played in a non-European country which is not participating in it?

norm87cro

Well if the americans are not too shy to host their holy sport (Nfl) in London I really dont know what the problem with Europe is. There is a big mexican market crazy about football

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If they never invented words like touchdown and 3peat, there would be no hate.

redcucumber

No any difference for me. I come from Asia. :wenger:
Isn't part of the fun of following a cultural event that takes place in another continent the palpable romance and excitement that is historically associated with that area/place? I enjoy watching Copa Libertadores because it's absolute bedlam. Same as the NBA Finals. It's nice watching events take place where there is history and meaning. Selling it to the highest bidder takes it all away.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It does make sense, Football was already broken , now it is more broken after Bosman law.

Porto, Benfica and Ajax can hardly compite for the UCL anymore.

I understand that there is more football outside of the 5 biggest european countries, but that doesn't disprove my point about denying that 'merit' is a thing in modern Football.
You didn't really prove a thing, first becasue I didn't make the point that the system was exclusively based on merit or absolutely fair but said largely based on merit and fair. And I talked about the system as whole not the UCL nor made a point about parity which isn't the same as fairness. Porto, Benfica or Ajax have no right to compete for the UCL if they don't outperform their competition. Fairness doesn't come into it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
'Your hate.'

Other than that, I can't really care. It's a little odd, but then we've got teams from Kazachstan playing under UEFA and anyway, what is the CL if it isn't a shameless money-making machine. I mean, that's why it was created in the first place. Might as well make the most of it and totally reach for the plastic stars.
You're just happy that they might move it to a more convenient time zone for you.
That's not fair on Cheimoon. He's just saying he doesn't mind if it moves because the MVP will win the Poutine Bowl and the team trophy will be handed out by someone who thinks they're French because they can say "jambon" in an annoying accent.

weizxx

Isn't part of the fun of following a cultural event that takes place in another continent the palpable romance and excitement that is historically associated with that area/place? I enjoy watching Copa Libertadores because it's absolute bedlam. Same as the NBA Finals. It's nice watching events take place where there is history and meaning. Selling it to the highest bidder takes it all away.
Absolutely right. I was joking.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Europe as the EU should take back control of European football as a whole and send UEFA/Ceferin & Qatar/Khelaifi + all their dubious bureaucrats packing… they act as a supranational, sovereign meta-state but they are just a glorified quango based in Switzerland.

stevoc

UEFA have only name dropped USA to get people used to the idea of it being outside of Europe. The first non EU one might be USA but I can guarantee that after that it’ll go to the highest Arab bidder year after year.
Bingo.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That's not fair on Cheimoon. He's just saying he doesn't mind if it moves because the MVP will win the Poutine Bowl and the team trophy will be handed out by someone who thinks they're French because they can say "jambon" in an annoying awesome accent.
One correction, otherwise exactly right.

Relfy

If something in football makes no logical sense, the answer, undoubtedly, is money.

SoCross

Imagine the bloody carbon footprint. Football heads really needs a good talking to.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I'm so torn here. My options:
  1. Thatsthejoke.gif
  2. Not in my francophone community we don't.
  3. Never heard Cape Bretoners or Newfoundlanders I see
This is your chance to shape my forum persona: which one would you like?
*rubs hands like Birdman*

Definitely 1

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
They concept per se of serfdom dates from ancient times, because it's a mild version of slavery.

And yes, serfdom(which derives from slavery) is capitalism.
I won't go back and forth about this here, but you have an extremely loose definition of capitalism. In short, their lords (bosses) weren't private landowners.

If you want to discuss this, we can do it here and not pollute this thread
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/capitalism-as-we-know-it-needs-to-die.468714/page-11

Todd

Objectively speaking, this is really stupid.

That being said, as an American, do you think I'm going to complain about having access to attending a CL final in my own country? That would be an incredible experience.

Don't blame you lot across the pond for being annoyed, though, it really is a slap in the face to the supporters in Europe.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Although a Champions League final in Florida which we play in would be a bit fun if the Glazers was still involved… ;)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I was quite impressed with Ceferin after watching his interview with Gary Neville but this is a load of bollocks.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Just to add some more context to Ceferin's statement:

I wouldn't be surprised if Ceferin himself is open to the idea, but UEFA themselves have yet to even take a step forward on this.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
U.S. major sports is a great model for business sustainability and equal revenue across teams in the league, but it also has a massive feeding ground that is high school sports, college sports, and semi-pro.

MLB, NHL, NBA, NFL, MLS, WNBA, NWSL all have a direct pipeline to direct talent that all filters up to the professional sports teams.

These are billion dollar entertainment and sports entities that are extremely stable. It's just a different culture to European football, but also these sports all co-exist in America at very high financial levels and competition levels. The same cannot be said about Europe. Outside of football, what other sports geniunely challenge football as a stable, highly competitive, and financially viable sport for ownership groups, team/front office staff, and players? Rugby?

There are a handful of American markets that have 5 pro sports teams, in addition to local college sports - mainly football and basketball. I don't think American sports are exclusionary, but there is something to be said about sustainabililty and being able to support yourself as a pro sports team.

There are also pro teams, but at lower levels for other sports such as basketball, hockey, baseball, and soccer.
There isn't equal revenue across teams in all sports. The only league where that could be even sort of true is the NFL due to their national TV deal.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193704/revenue-of-national-basketball-association-teams-in-2010/
https://www.statista.com/statistics/193736/revenue-of-national-hockey-league-teams-in-2010/
https://www.totalsportal.com/list/mlb-teams-with-highest-revenue/

US professional teams are sustainable b/c they are anti-competitive. It's a business model that requires special rules to be made for it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Why would, a purely European competition, be played in a non-European country which is not participating in it?
Same reason they've had stages of the Tour de France in other countries: growing the brand.

(Making money.)

UEFA have only name dropped USA to get people used to the idea of it being outside of Europe. The first non EU one might be USA but I can guarantee that after that it’ll go to the highest Arab bidder year after year.
And this, sure, yes.

(Which is, of course, about the same thing: making money, what else?)