Alessia Russo | leaves United for Arsenal

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Hard to say. They’ve been at the table for 18 months so they left it too late anyway I think. As soon as she scored that back heel goal it should have been dealt with in my view.

Let’s agree to disagree then. I think it got there too late and the delay cost us a player who I believe would have stayed on if we put it on the table earlier.

Out of interest, what’s your opinion on the Batlle situation?
She was always looking to leave, that was in the stars, she's a staunch Catalan, always likely to want to return to Barca, can't begrudge her that.

I understand your points of view regards Russo and you raise some good points, whatever the situation it's a shame she's gone as she will be a big loss to the team.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Earps to Sky:

"Of course it's sad.

"Alessia and I are good friends, so obviously it's a hard place to be.

"But ultimately I just want to support her - she has to do what's right for her career. I know it might look like one thing from the outside but you never know what's happening for somebody.

"There's a completely different side of the story that you're not going to hear unless you talk to her. I can't answer those questions.

"The most important thing is that Alessia is happy. We'll be friends for a long time, so I will support her whatever she does."

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The delay in anything further since announcing she's leaving suggests Arsenal is not a done deal?

Lightbringer

The delay in anything further since announcing she's leaving suggests Arsenal is not a done deal?
Someone wrote they cant announce or finish transfers on paper from one WSL team to another WSL team until july. But maybe thats not correct

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Someone wrote they cant announce or finish transfers on paper from one WSL team to another WSL team until july. But maybe thats not correct
I think the WSL transfer window officially opens on 26th so this might be true

top1whoisman

Scout
Her contract with Arsenal is apparently signed, not sure when Arsenal will announce it - might be even today. Wiegman told the players she wanted all transfers wrapped up before they fly to Australia.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Her contract with Arsenal is apparently signed, not sure when Arsenal will announce it - might be even today. Wiegman told the players she wanted all transfers wrapped up before they fly to Australia.
Announced

top1whoisman

Scout
"I'm really excited to be here and I can't wait to get going," Russo said after joining Arsenal, where she will wear the No 23 shirt.

"I want to win trophies - as does everyone in this club. I can't wait to get stuck in and grow as a player - it's a new challenge and a new environment.

"I think the growth of the women's game has been incredible, but particularly at a club like Arsenal.

"The sell-out against Wolfsburg at Emirates Stadium last season was fantastic and I'm just really excited to be part of this club."
A not so subtle dig at United there?

rajds89

I really couldn't give two shits about the women's team.. but can you imagine the abuse (rightly or wrongly) someone like say Marcus would receive if he willingly left on a free to join someone like Arsenal.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Damn. So disappointed she's went there.
I wonder if there was a chance of keeping her if the takeover had happened before the summer. She's what, a top 2-3 player in the entire league? I had hoped she stayed because having United in the mix at the top is brilliant for the league.

top1whoisman

Scout
I really couldn't give two shits about the women's team.. but can you imagine the abuse (rightly or wrongly) someone like say Marcus would receive if he willingly left on a free to join someone like Arsenal.
Trust me, Russo will get plenty of that. But it's a different world. Shorter contracts = Players moving on a free more often. The wage level is so much lower that those lucky players who get that one chance of actually securing themselves and their families some kind of a future after their careers understandably go for it. As much as I want to call her a snake and all that, this is on the club.

Oh and if you don't give two shits about the women's team, why bother typing anything.

RORY65

I wonder if there was a chance of keeping her if the takeover had happened before the summer. She's what, a top 2-3 player in the entire league? That's tough. I had hoped she stayed because having United in the mix at the top is brilliant for the league.
Not to this point anyway, I think it's fair to say that Chelsea, City, Arsenal (before signing her) and Villa all in fact have better strikers along with there being other top players in other positions. I think it's more damaging in what it says about United, their ambitions and their attitude to the women's team that they couldn't keep an English United fan who was highly marketable at the club and lost her to a rival for free, plus obviously it's losing one of the best players on the team and having to find a replacement for usually the most expensive position.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I wonder if there was a chance of keeping her if the takeover had happened before the summer. She's what, a top 2-3 player in the entire league? I had hoped she stayed because having United in the mix at the top is brilliant for the league.
Yeah I think that is the case, or at least if the club displayed more ambition and willingness to compete and capitalise on the momentum created, especially this season. Too long passed though and she's had her head turned. I think she's brilliant but as I said, so disappointed she's went there.

rajds89

Trust me, Russo will get plenty of that. But it's a different world. Shorter contracts = Players moving on a free more often. The wage level is so much lower that those lucky players who get that one chance of actually securing themselves and their families some kind of a future after their careers understandably go for it. As much as I want to call her a snake and all that, this is on the club.

Oh and if you don't give two shits about the women's team, why bother typing anything.
I was simply asking the question.

top1whoisman

Scout
Perhaps it would've been possible. Although I think her and Batlle had made up their minds quite early, as our offers weren't anywhere near what some other clubs were putting out.

I'd say that in terms of marketability, she's definitely in that bracket. Definitely a top 2-5 striker in the league as well. Not on the level of Bunny or Kerr though. But she's very difficult to defend against. However in my humble opinion you guys, Arsenal and City all have players who are better than her. Who knows in a couple of years if she keeps on developing she might become one of the best.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
She has that kind of profile but based on this season's performances she wasnt even Top3 at United nevermind the whole league

Glorio

She has that kind of profile but based on this season's performances she wasnt even Top3 at United nevermind the whole league
Yeah, wasn't great, probably due to the contract situation. She probably had her head turned long before the season was done

top1whoisman

Scout
How so, when United Woman's team have probably had the most accelerated growth in the last few years!?
Looking at how we’re losing our best players constantly and not keeping up with the growth of the game in terms of wages, I wouldn’t be surprised of she said that with this in mind.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I suspect she promised to join Arsenal when we turned down the chance for her to go there in January. We should have been negotiating before then, but I think it was too late after January. She had made her mind up.

top1whoisman

Scout
I suspect she promised to join Arsenal when we turned down the chance for her to go there in January. We should have been negotiating before then, but I think it was too late after January. She had made her mind up.
Agreed. Well, we were ”negotiating” last year but our more reasonable offers probably came in too late and like you say she had already made her decision by then.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Looking at how we’re losing our best players constantly and not keeping up with the growth of the game in terms of wages, I wouldn’t be surprised of she said that with this in mind.
Despite the fact we gave her a contract renewal offer that matches what she was asking for?
We've lost two major players this season, one who didn't want to renew despite the clubs best offer and one whom wanted to go back home and play for her original club, which was always her dream. Not really on the club that.

No team, possibly bar City, has had quite as big a growth as United woman's have, and it's arguable to say City had a helping hand by the WSL and were very well established anyhow. United have been going 5 years.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Not to this point anyway, I think it's fair to say that Chelsea, City, Arsenal (before signing her) and Villa all in fact have better strikers along with there being other top players in other positions. I think it's more damaging in what it says about United, their ambitions and their attitude to the women's team that they couldn't keep an English United fan who was highly marketable at the club and lost her to a rival for free, plus obviously it's losing one of the best players on the team and having to find a replacement for usually the most expensive position.
Perhaps it would've been possible. Although I think her and Batlle had made up their minds quite early, as our offers weren't anywhere near what some other clubs were putting out.

I'd say that in terms of marketability, she's definitely in that bracket. Definitely a top 2-5 striker in the league as well. Not on the level of Bunny or Kerr though. But she's very difficult to defend against. However in my humble opinion you guys, Arsenal and City all have players who are better than her. Who knows in a couple of years if she keeps on developing she might become one of the best.

Fair enough, I stand corrected. You guys would have watched her a helluva lot more than me. I have just always been super impressed with her. Perhaps it's her performances at the Euros that has skewed my perception of her? She played like a legit a superstar, even though she was (wrongly in my opinion) coming off the bench for White.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Look forward to the boos. Hopefully the club can avoid screwing up getting a replacement.

Dan_F

Sounds similar to Herrera where we left it so late to try and compete with other offers. Doesn’t really sound like there was any issues behind the scenes with other players, so we must have majorly dropped the ball somewhere.

Weird seeing her in an Arsenal kit.

top1whoisman

Scout
Fair enough, I stand corrected. You guys would have watched her a helluva lot more than me. I have just always been super impressed with her. Perhaps it's her performances at the Euros that has skewed my perception of her? She played like a legit a superstar, even she was (wrongly in my opinion) coming off the bench for Ellen White.
Both her and Toone were brilliant at the Euros, but had a relatively difficult season at United. Think both will be back to their best next season, depending perhaps a little on how the World Cup goes for England and them individually.

Lightbringer

Question, if Russo came from Latvia was named Latka Latkia was ugly as sin, would there be even 1/5 of the outcry thats been going on lately?

To me it seems being a lioness and being pretty, very nice outgoing & marketable have turned peoples heads confusing those attributes with actually being WORLD CLASS on the pitch.

People seem to suggest United should have offered her Sam Kerr money 18 months ago already, which is absolutely absurd IMO.
---
From what I heard United offered her what United thought was a good contract in February, after they rejected Arsenals bid for her, she declined it, and the club then came back with matching Arsenals offer at the end of the season.

Lets say Russo was on 120 000, and United offered her 280 000 in february, and then raised it to 400 000 at the end of the season, would that really be an insult to Russo? I mean, that usually how negotiations take place unless its Maradonna or Messi, that can ask whatever they want because they are so far ahead of everyone else.

Is it possible Russos own head and has gotten a little big, meaning she ranks herself as a better player than what she really is?

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Fair enough, I stand corrected. You guys would have watched her a helluva lot more than me. I have just always been super impressed with her. Perhaps it's her performances at the Euros that has skewed my perception of her? She played like a legit a superstar, even though she was (wrongly in my opinion) coming off the bench for White.
She did great off the bench for England at the Euros and that backheel goal gave her huge exposure - as a starter this season though she hasnt been as good and looks like Lionesses have a dilemma on Russo Vs Daly

She's been ok for United this season, nothing amazing though and perhaps the contract stuff affected her performances