Alessia Russo | leaves United for Arsenal

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The salary cap in the WSL is a soft cap. There's no definition of what a club can allocate to the women's team as a percentage from club sponsorship deals for example.

Equally in the other direction, some clubs include training ground costs, stadium and other charges in the team budget. Some clubs have medical and physio support etc on the team budget, others say that comes from the central club resource.

In other words, the budget is what the club say it is and the salary cap is only really a cap in the sense that you have to show you won't stop paying your bills mid-season.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I was thinking it sounded a bit detrimental to the speed of growth of the WSL.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Looking at the attendance figures etc. from our rivals, I somehow doubt that their turnover is a 100% more than ours. Yet they can offer double wages to what we do.

Looking at @RORY65's post, we're second in the world when it comes to turnover, only behind Barca.
Might it depend how many times these teams play at the clubs main stadium and that increases the revenue. We don't allow our ladies to play at OT enough.

Lightbringer

Might it depend how many times these teams play at the clubs main stadium and that increases the revenue. We don't allow our ladies to play at OT enough.
What I do know is that Arsenals champions league games alone should match Uniteds revenue from all Leigh Sports Village regular season games. Of course Arsenal can spend the money from many filled to the brim crowds at the emirates. Arsenal is the only genuine team btw along with United.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
That is true, but I'm sure there's plenty of other streams of revenue too. I'm also under the impression that quite a lot of free tickets are handed out when WSL teams are playing in the "main" stadiums. There's the revenue part but it's even more about raising the awareness and growing the game and fanbase. But I agree, hopefully we'll increase the OT games gradually.

DomesticTadpole

What I do know is that Arsenals champions league games alone should match Uniteds revenue from Leigh Sports Village regular season games. Of course Arsenal can spend the money from many filled to the brim crowds at the emirates. Arsenal is the only genuine team btw along with United.
Hopefully we can get a good draw and attract a lot of CL money. As I say they should make sure they play more games at OT. All their big games should be there if games don't clash.

top1whoisman

Scout
Hopefully we can get a good draw and attract a lot of CL money. As I say they should make sure they play more games at OT. All their big games should be there if games don't clash.
I'd imagine playing at the LSV is much, much less expensive than hosting an event at OT so it's not all linear increase of income. Personnel expenses etc.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Just thought I'd make it clear that the Deloitte article regarding the revenue of United being the second highest on Europe also goes on to state that many Woman's teams are still operating a loss ...
This, I would imagine, includes United, especially with it being a new growing team.

United cannot just throw money around without the revenue streams increasing, the Champions League will help, but only by a small fraction and again leaves zero margin for error, that is neither sustainable nor a good way to run a football club.

It's a vicious cycle, as I am sure the club want to keep their best players, but the club has to be sustainable and have an element of profitability otherwise it's not a club, it's just a soleless addition and not self serving.

I believe the training pitches for the woman's team cost circa £8.5m, that's a hefty amount when looking at the revenue streams, and there we can see the conundrum.

whitbyviking

Seems to be financial at this point. Unless anyone is aware of something behind the scenes?

Lightbringer

No source on the money, but a claim:

---

If she joins Arsenal she is DEAD TO ME, I will tell you that right now!

We can replace her 10 goals if needed, but to leave for a domestic opponent, a shame!

Holy mercy me this sh1t show has been going on for almost a year!

DomesticTadpole

No source on the money, but a claim:

---

If she joins Arsenal she is DEAD TO ME, I will tell you that right now!

We can replace her 10 goals if needed, but to leave for a domestic opponent, a shame!

Holy mercy me this sh1t show has been going on for almost a year!
If she did go, who is the best striker we could get. If we were going to offer her good money, then we cannot not offer it to another world class striker.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I think we missed our chance to renew her contract back in the 21/22 season when she needed a leap of faith from us. We missed it again when she first arrived back after the Euros - I doubt the people running the women's team had the flexibility or the authority to do much.

The real decision makers (the people who could authorise any budget/policy change etc) will have had their hands full with what was happening to the men's team at the start of the season.

Once a player starts looking for options, it gets hard to stop them being seduced. I hope she doesn't sign for Arsenal, but I've been resigned to her leaving for a while now.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
According to Twitter, no deal has yet been done. Her family are apparently acting as her agents and are still talking about wanting to get her the best deal possible.

That doesn't necessarily mean, "will sign for the highest bidder," it may well mean that the story isn't over yet.

Eric_the_Red99

Ugh. Hope she doesn't go but our hands seem to be tied without backing from the board who in turn have their hands tied due to the ownership issue.
But I don’t get how the ownership issue can be that big of a problem for the women’s team, whose entire player budget must be comparable to a rounding error for Manchester United Plc’s annual turnover.

How would Russo’s potential new contract compare to Dalot’s recently completed 5-year extension deal? I’m guessing it would be significantly less, so why can’t we just pay her the damn money?!

Tbh, I think we could probably cope with losing Russo. I mean it’s definitely not ideal, but we saw towards the end of the season that we weren’t as reliant on Russo’s goals as we were before, with other players stepping up. But losing such a high profile player, on a free transfer, to one of our biggest rivals, due to the club’s stinginess, would leave such a bitter taste in the mouth after such a great season.

top1whoisman

Scout
But I don’t get how the ownership issue can be that big of a problem for the women’s team, whose entire player budget must be comparable to a rounding error for Manchester United Plc’s annual turnover.

How would Russo’s potential new contract compare to Dalot’s recently completed 5-year extension deal? I’m guessing it would be significantly less, so why can’t we just pay her the damn money?!
Put it like this. Why can’t a company X hire an additional warehouse worker when they just hired a CEO with a huge salary? Because they’ve got budgets for everything and they’ve filled the budget when it comes to warehouse workers. Same with United.

Edit: Excuse the horrible metaphors. They do not reflect my views on male footballers vs female footballers in any way.

Last edited:

ForeverRed1

at the same time you got to do what’s right for your career I guess. I’m pretty sure if I could be a professional footballer id only want to play for united because I love them.. but that’s easy to say when you’re not a pro footballer I guess.

rooneyberbatov

I really want the club to convince her to stay but I won’t get my hopes up. We’re just not in a position to match any good deal made by Arsenal, not yet at least.

Lightbringer

I really want the club to convince her to stay but I won’t get my hopes up. We’re just not in a position to match any good deal made by Arsenal, not yet at least.
Its being claimed that we have matched any Arsenal offer by fans who should have good sources, not saying it must be true but....

StretfordEnd78

I will be sorry to see her go if rumours are true. London girl.
She‘s scored some crucial goals and has been instrumental in taking 6 points from Arsenal.
In an attacking sense, her achievements this season run parallel with Leah Galton.
Would like to think the United hierarchy have a replacement in mind. The club made a profit last season unlike other clubs.
Daly would be my ideal replacement.

Lightbringer

Just bring in Daly and Kerolin, and be done with Russo - more goals and less drama :devil:

DOTA

Anyone got a rough idea of what sorta numbers we're talking here? I really haven't a clue how much leading WSL players command. Less than the PL players but a lot more than me, is about all I'm confident of.

redshaw

Arsenal are probably a big deal to her professionally, like Lyon would be.

I'd hope to keep her on, maybe even get some assurance soon from a new owner but perhaps that's not enough even.

top1whoisman

Scout
Anyone got a rough idea of what sorta numbers we're talking here? I really haven't a clue how much leading WSL players command. Less than the PL players but a lot more than me, is about all I'm confident of.
The best in the WSL are getting around £250-300k per year.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Typical pay is about 30k/year.

A top player at a top team maybe 300k/year + sponsorships + national team fees. Not sure about the very biggest stars like Sam Kerr, I think Chelsea will be paying her more because she was in demand by teams like Barcelona and Lyon etc.

There definitively a Lioness + backheel surcharge attached to Alessia, but that's not a surprise.

DOTA

Typical pay is about 30k/year.

A top player at a top team maybe 300k/year + sponsorships + national team fees. Not sure about the very biggest stars like Sam Kerr, I think Chelsea will be paying her more because she was in demand by teams like Barcelona and Lyon etc.

There definitively a Lioness + backheel surcharge attached to Alessia, but that's not a surprise.
The best in the WSL are getting around £250-300k per year.
Thanks. Was trying to decide whether I find it appropriate to feel a bit pissed off with her if she leaves for money, like I would if she was an unfathomably rich men's team player. Obviously 300k a year is very high but it's not 'your great-grandchildren won't need to work, how dare you leave us for one more ivory back scratcher' stuff.

Lightbringer

Thanks. Was trying to decide whether I find it appropriate to feel a bit pissed off with her if she leaves for money, like I would if she was an unfathomably rich men's team player. Obviously 300k a year is very high but it's not 'your great-grandchildren won't need to work, how dare you leave us for one more ivory back scratcher' stuff.
Russo is getting by alright :-)

If she loves United, she´ll stay, if she loves the £££ she will go!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
For sure and for Alessia this is likely to be the big contract of her career.

Contract length is going to be a big (and complicated) deal as well. For the players a long contract traditionally meant security (which is why most women's teams only offered one or two year contracts :lol: ) but with the game's growth at the moment a long contract could mean missing out on any new upsurge in funding.

Alessia will also know that the London based players currently get extra sponsorship and marketing appearance money chances.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Let's be clear that the Arsenal links are just Twitter rumours - Arseblog is hardly a top tier source and in fact clearly biased, as far as I'm concerned these kind of worthless rumours should not even be posted here

But if she was to move to Arsenal then it can only be about money - football wise United had a better season than Arsenal

If she went to Spain, Germany, France then I could understand it as these are teams where you can win the Champions League but not Arsenal

We need an rvn

Let's be clear that the Arsenal links are just Twitter rumours - Arseblog is hardly a top tier source and in fact clearly biased, as far as I'm concerned these kind of worthless rumours should not even be posted here

But if she was to move to Arsenal then it can only be about money - football wise United had a better season than Arsenal

If she went to Spain, Germany, France then I could understand it as these are teams where you can win the Champions League but not Arsenal
Now I’m no arsenal fan and I’d love for Alessia to stay, but I think your post is a very harsh on Arsenal in multiple ways. arsenal have supported their women’s team so much better than united have over the years and we’ve only just started to look decent after one good year.

whilst our club had their best ever season, how can you not take into account for a arsenal and this season at one point they have had 43% of their players injured (including long term injuries to star players Leah Williamson, Beth mead, miedema, blackstenius and foord). That’s an insanely talented list of players to loss for a long part.

Alessia is also from London, no? So maybe wanting to move back to London could play a part?

harsh post imo, but I truly hope she stays and hope the new owners start to build a great women’s team as well as men’s team.