Alessia Russo | leaves United for Arsenal

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Now I’m no arsenal fan and I’d love for Alessia to stay, but I think your post is a very harsh on Arsenal in multiple ways. arsenal have supported their women’s team so much better than united have over the years and we’ve only just started to look decent after one good year.

whilst our club had their best ever season, how can you not take into account for a arsenal and this season at one point they have had 43% of their players injured (including long term injuries to star players Leah Williamson, Beth mead, miedema, blackstenius and foord). That’s an insanely talented list of players to loss for a long part.

Alessia is also from London, no? So maybe wanting to move back to London could play a part?

harsh post imo, but I truly hope she stays and hope the new owners start to build a great women’s team as well as men’s team.
Yes you are right that they are historically a bigger club. I do wonder once Mead and Miedema are fit, does Russo even start for them? She's had a pretty average season

Alessia is from Kent which is close to London, I suppose it could play a part

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I am so sad about this. So depressing irrespective of why it happened. It’s mad to me that we had Lauren James & Russo and somehow we have ended up keeping neither

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
:( Surely she is our most marketable player this is madness from United. If we have lost two of our best players how will we attract top quality players to us.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Absolutely gutting - if it's about money then the club has fecked up badly and if it's Arsenal then she's dead to me

If she's going abroad then I can understand it and good luck to her

DomesticTadpole

Absolutely gutting - if it's about money then the club has fecked up badly and if it's Arsenal then she's dead to me

If she's going abroad then I can understand it and good luck to her
Yeah. If she wants to try playing abroad, that is different. If it is Arsenal then fans will not be happy.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Will be very disappointed if she goes to Arsenal. If Battle and Russo are going the club needs to get it's act together otherwise it could be a very difficult season.

Dan_F

Will reserve judgment till we know where she’s going. If she’s going to a big foreign team then good luck to her; another English team and something is seriously wrong.

spiriticon

Happy to go and play second fiddle to Vivianne Miedema, who is a much better player? They must be paying her a lot.

I don't see her being particularly good on the wings to support Miedema

Last edited:

IWat

Sounds like we took the piss and didn't match Arsenal's offer until the last week of the season. I also would be insulted, best of luck to her.

pacifictheme

Bye.

I can understand this. It's a shame, woman's game has a much lower ceiling for earning, if she has moved for money I am sure she would have rather stayed with us but assume we were unwilling to pay what others were.

A lot more believable than when the men's players do it, because they earn such mad money at any top club.

IWat

If that is what happened it is likely our owners who have caused the problem.
It's what Sky seem to be suggesting.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...l-move-after-manchester-united-exit-announced

Sky Sports News understands United and Russo have been discussing terms over a new deal for the last 18 months but United only reached the forward's contract expectations on the last week of the season, at which point it was too late to entice her to stay.

Sylar

Cant blame her at all especially if this is true.

This could have been sorted a long time ago. It feels like the club was trying to get the lowest possible price / deal but eventually gave her what she was after, and it was too late by then.
She knows her value and it seems United knew her value too if they were willing to eventually match it.

I seriously cannot blame her. I loved my last job place, but they did something similar, where they only offered me a payrise and promotion after i handed in my notice, when another company offered to double what i was getting.

Anyway, good luck to her personally but also hope Arsenal flop with her.

Eric_the_Red99

Very sad news. It really exposes the sheer lack of ambition United have for the women’s team, despite the investment it’s taken to get us to second place, a cup final and the CL.

I fear that last season may just be a blip, and the Big Four will revert back to the Big Three. Our other top players must be wondering if they should leave too. Isn’t Earps due for a contract renewal soon?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Embarrassing for the club, hopefully this wakes people there up to how small time we've been acting. We needed a new top forward to make the next step up to challenge, now we need one just to tread water.

Hoping for a miracle with Batlle otherwise it could be a very depressing summer in what should be a hopeful one.

Glorio

Embarrassing for the club, hopefully this wakes people there up to how small time we've been acting. We needed a new top forward to make the next step up to challenge, now we need one just to tread water.

Hoping for a miracle with Batlle otherwise it could be a very depressing summer in what should be a hopeful one.
Ona is definitely going

TsuWave

Don’t really follow the women’s team, but seems she’s a big/important player and childhood United fan. Why did she choose to leave, better offer elsewhere I assume? Any reports on what we offered and what was offered elsewhere?

Baneofthegame

Why shouldn't she earn the money. Women players are vastly underpaid. We have acted too slowly as usual.
I never said she shouldn’t, was asking why she’s left?

Probably but who can blame her? Hardly any money in the women's game and a footballing career doesn't last that long.
Not sure who’s blaming her.

Yes she has - which is perfectly understandable. It's definitely the club who have dropped the ball here
So it seems unfortunately.

DomesticTadpole

Don’t really follow the women’s team, but seems she’s a big/important player and childhood United fan. Why did she choose to leave, better offer elsewhere I assume? Any reports on what we offered and what was offered elsewhere?
We offered the same, but not until very recently. They have been negotiating for ages. As usual we messed about and she will have committed to go elsewhere. Disgraceful from the club.