Alex Ferguson interview May 1997

FujiVice

This is fascinating. Fergie wants more support from the Premier League for us to succeed in Europe. Shilton tries to give him a bit and Fergie just goes "the games a lot faster than it was when you played." Alan Sugar wants to talk business with him, too. The summer Sheringham left. You wouldnt see an interview with anyone like this after winning a title now.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
This is fascinating. Fergie wants more support from the Premier League for us to succeed in Europe. Shilton tries to give him a bit and Fergie just goes "the games a lot faster than it was when you played." Alan Sugar wants to talk business with him, too. The summer Sheringham left. You wouldnt see an interview with anyone like this after winning a title now.
Shilton sitting there with a face like a spanked arse at the end haha.

Amir

He's saying Cantona's definitely staying :lol:

SER19

brilliant. let nobody be in doubt that ferguson had to earn the respect he commanded by later in his reign. some snide comments and digs in this, the cheek of shilton saying it was given to them on a plate after winning the league by 7 points.

No wonder he continued to grow into the force he was.

Best of all time and it isnt even kind of close

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I came for Fergie but left with much knowledge about Shilton's backside.

VWW

I remember watching this interview when I was in my late teens.

Shilton really pissed me off with what he said then and having seen it again now I'm still pissed off with him all these years later :lol:

Also Richard Littlejohn was annoying with how he kept interrupting SAF. Its funny how back then he was just a mainstream presenter on tv before he revealed his political views and became a horrible human being.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Littlejohn. Yuck.
He’s a truly odious individual. I don’t think he gives a fcuk in that interview about doing anything other than baiting Fergie and hoping for a sharp response. He’s an absolute fcuking weapon, that guy.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Shilton was an unbelievable keeper but an arrogant arsehole of a man.
I sat next to him on a Ryan air flight to Ireland about 10 years ago. He was exactly that- a complete dick. His partner, who was very nervous and really lovely, had a permanently apologetic expression which I can only assume comes with accompanying Pete everywhere.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The great man was a winner. Everything about him was about winning.
And United have completely lost that winning mentality.

JediSith

I came for Fergie but left with much knowledge about Shilton's backside.
If I remove my obvious bias for saf.

For me this interview demonstrates how SAF is a master of destroying the legit critique. Why SAF could drive managers insane eg Keegan or make them look it Rafa.

Shilton only expresses an opposing opinion.
Shilton is the one credible voice in the room, still playing and a league and European Cup winner.

SAF who gets a bit cocky with the game has become much faster, to imply Shilton was a relic but in reality he was still playing at the time. About as much time had past between his last European cup win with Forest and that interview, as has between the first Barcelona CL win vs United and today. No one would tell any of the Barca team some of whom are still playing a comment in a way to emply they are from an ancient era of football.

In that end Shilton looks a bit Silly. The one legit critique to SAF gets shut down. Would have been interesting to see SAF tested if Shilton had used the the “games much faster now” to say yeah back then we had less subs, more injuries, today we have bigger squads 3 subs and some teams like you can rotate.

But the genius of SAF is he probably already knew questioning shilton’s age would get to him

Last edited:

fe33er

If I remove my obvious bias for saf.

For me this interview demonstrates how SAF is a master of destroying the legit critique. Why SAF could drive managers insane eg Keegan or make them look it Rafa.

Shilton only expresses an opposing opinion.
Shilton is the one credible voice in the room, still playing and a league and European Cup winner.

SAF who gets a bit cocky with the game has become much faster, to imply Shilton was a relic but in reality he was still playing at the time. About as much time had past between his last European cup win with Forest and that interview, as has between the first Barcelona CL win vs United and today. No one would tell any of the Barca team some of whom are still playing a comment in a way to emply they are from an ancient era of football.

In that end Shilton looks a bit Silly. The one legit critique to SAF gets shut down. Would have been interesting to see SAF tested if Shilton had used the the “games much faster now” to say yeah back then we had less subs, more injuries, today we have bigger squads 3 subs and some teams like you can rotate.

But the genius of SAF is he probably already knew questioning shilton’s age would get to him
80’s football was totally different to late 90’s football with the premier league, the pitches were a lot better and the drinking culture had probably halved if not more by then with only a handful still able to drink in the week to doing it on a weekend.

Utd 2013 would be closer to 2024 than Forest 80’s to Utd 97.