Alex Higgins - RIP

Decotron

Very sad news. One of the most stylish players Ive seen.

Snooker legend Alex 'Hurricane' Higgins dies
Saturday, 24 July 2010 19:58

Snooker legend Alex Higgins has died at the age of 61, after succumbing to a long battle with cancer.

Outrageously talented on the table and often simply outrageous when off it, Higgins was among the group of sporting heroes whose personal appeal went beyond the game he played.

Born in 1949, Higgins honed his natural ability in the clubs of Sandy Row in Belfast from the age of 11.

At 16 he left the city for England in the hope of becoming a jockey, but issues with his weight turned him from whiphand to cue master, and he turned professional at the age of 22.

In his own words he was 'the most natural, charismatic player who ever lifted a cue'.

Steve Davis said Higgins was the 'one true genius that snooker produced'.

That genius won him a world title in 1972, when the game still had a limited cohort and appeal.

He lost finals in 1976 and 1980, but for a generation for whom his style and speed helped popularise the game and bring it to a mass audience it will be the scenes around his 1982 triumph that will live in the memory.

He would have been the world's top-ranked player that season but for the forfeit of ranking points for disciplinary reasons.

In his rollercoaster career Higgins was penalised for headbutting a referee, punching an official and was banned from the game for threatening to have Denis Taylor shot.

That self-destructive personality, combined with drink and drugs, meant Higgins fulfilled his potential only intermittingly.

In 1998 he was diagnosed with throat cancer and spent many years hustling in back street clubs, and was often homeless.

Higgins was a self destructive individual but such was his speed, agility, and persona he was for a time the most exciting player in the world with the ability to elevate snooker, mesmerise fans and opponents, and briefly allowed his inner talent win the battle with his demons.

Snooker promoter Barry Hearn said Higgins would be remembered as the 'original people's champion' and the man who transformed the popularity of the sport.

Mr Hearn said: 'I have known him for nearly 40 years. He was the major reason for snooker's popularity in the early days. He was controversial at times, but he always played the game in the right spirit. We will miss him - he was the original people's champion

MrBurns

Wasnt my favourite during my youth, and im surprised he lasted this long with the lifestyle he chose.

RIP

Tribec

RIP "the hurricane", without you I doubt I'd be watching snooker today, without you we'd probably never have seen Jimmy White and Ronnie O'Sullivan.

He wasn't always popular, he wasn't always the best behaved, but when he was good, he was probably as good as anyone that the world has ever seen. Some of his shots were beyond belief. Snooker has lost a legend, a star and one of the people that made it so popular world wide.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
One of our great sporting heroes.

He's been so unwell for such a long time now. I remember seeing him in a bar in Belfast about 8 years ago and i've never seen anyone so frail. He would only have been 53 back then, but looked like a man in his 70s. In recent months i think he's weighed as little as 5 stone.

Very sad to hear he's passed away but at least he'll have no more suffering.

RIP

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I saw him at Dundalk station a few years back and he looked like death. I thought then he was on the way out but he held on. A genius with the cue.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Saw that. The footage of him playing just before he died was really tough to watch. He was always a skinny bugger but he had lost so much weight he was almost unrecognisable.
I know, especially in contrast to the beginning of the documentary where he just exuded energy and charisma