Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain completes his transfer to Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Chelsea might pay him that if they're incredibly stupid no way Liverpool do though

Why on earth does Ox think he's Worth that much anyway he's not even a good player

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Think he'd be better staying at Arse than going Chelsea or Liverpool. Won't get in the former, lack of ambition with the latter. Not that Arse have a tonne of ambition but Liverpool is definitely a sideways step.

I think we could really use someone like him here, but it wouldn't happen.
Surely Spurs wouldn't take an Arsenal reject?! lol

stygg

So what do we think? Will he join Chelsea? I think he's fed up at Arsenal and Wenger.

haram

Chelsea might pay him that if they're incredibly stupid no way Liverpool do though

Why on earth does Ox think he's Worth that much anyway he's not even a good player
Don't think it's the money, I think he's just a bit more ambitious than Arsenal. He probably wants a move to Chelsea.

Flying_Heckfish

He's an attacker who can play through the wings.. and has played at wing back too.. :lol:

Chelsea his probably destination, only question is which position he will play there.

Craig Ward

I hope he does move. Young british talent and arsenal just doesn't work out. I'm struggling to think of one british player who have improved under Wenger.

Walcott - showed promise early on, never upped his level or improved his consistency. Cannot get a game for club or even in the England squad.
Ramsey - Amazing for wales, in and out of the arsenal team. Shows glimpses, but is a bit static.
Chambers - Can barely get a game for Arsenal, one to be continuously loaned out
Jenkinson - See Chambers
Wilshire - Started amazing, looked a world beater. Now getting ridiculed in the u23's
The Ox - Lots of ability, played in various positions, cant nail down a spot. Hasn't really kicked on
Welbeck - Is he better now than he was at UTD? Nope
Gibbs - Solid left back, cant get a game ahead of Monreal who isn't the best around

I know injuries come into play in some scenarios, especially Wilshire/Welbeck, and I know I'm generalising with the home grown thing, as you could say majority of foreign signings don't improve under wenger also, but I look at the talent the above have and I'm baffled by how poor they have all become under Wenger.

The Ox specifically, I hope he moves on and makes a go of it somewhere else. Would be the best thing for him and his progression.

Look at Chalobah, loan after loan, finally gets his move and in the England squad. Got to be playing regularly

InfiniteBoredom

Ox is much better ball carrier, a fighter who tends to do well in big games, much pacier and has more potential.

Under a good manager he could be a decent player and a much more useful squad player than Lingard. Wenger is a bad fit for someone like Ox.
He got 9 goals in 150 appearances, and he's hardly a teenager.

Lingard is shit, but if we want to replace him, replace him with true quality or an actual promising youngster.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I don't think we need another player like that now. A defensive midfielder and a CB should be prioritised over a,player like Chamberlain.

I think he'll end up staying unless Chelsea really want him.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
That's a ridiculous amount of mony. Lingard at 100k per week is starting to look sensible. The amount of money in the PL now is staggering.

Minkaro

Heard somewhere else that he's turned down the contract because he thinks he'll be played as a wingback at Arsenal, and doesn't want that. To me, that's probably where Chelsea are going to want to play him, as I don't see him playing ahead of Willian/Pedro on the wing, or any of their CM options (I don't know what position he wants to play in). He wouldn't be first choice in either of those positions at Liverpool either, imo.

He's likely to get about as much first team football at Arsenal as at either of those teams, so he might be best off staying and hoping a spot in his favoured position opens up.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Honestly i think he'd be pretty much perfect for our needs. Winger, versatile, can play wing back on either side, youngish and english.

Minkaro

Honestly i think he'd be pretty much perfect for our needs. Winger, versatile, can play wing back on either side, youngish and english.
I know you meant in terms of age, but he basically would be like Ashley Young in terms of how he fit into the squad. Depends on if he'd want to play second fiddle to Valencia/Blind/Mkhi/Mata/Martial/Rashford in those various positions.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He got 9 goals in 150 appearances, and he's hardly a teenager.

Lingard is shit, but if we want to replace him, replace him with true quality or an actual promising youngster.
There is no denying he's statistically god-awful, but I do think injury and being an un-wenger like player has hurt him massively in his development. When he is on song, there is much to admire about him but agreed that he has barely shown it.

All I know is that a fit and firing Ox, would be a useful squad player to have around and would surely be more useful to have in the side than a Lingard, at least he can put teams on the back foot.

InfiniteBoredom

There is no denying he's statistically god-awful, but I do think injury and being an un-wenger like player has hurt him massively in his development. When he is on song, there is much to admire about him but agreed that he has barely shown it.

All I know is that a fit and firing Ox, would be a useful squad player to have around and would surely be more useful to have in the side than a Lingard, at least he can put teams on the back foot.
I disagree with the notion that we should have squad players for the sake of filling positions as needed. They should be able to genuinely perform to a high standard. An attacker with his number does not fill that function.

Park Ji Sung was thought by our own fans to be a workhorse, yet he consistently performed in big games with numbers to show for it, and stepped up and won us games on his own in winter 2010 which got us crucial points that culminated in our league title. That's the sort of 'useful squad player' I want at Utd.

Oneunited26

We have been trying to get perisic which looks like to play at left WB, why don't Jose try and snap this player up to play at wing back? We not a side blessed with blistering pace at left WB, seems he be a great option on that side.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I disagree with the notion that we should have squad players for the sake of filling positions as needed. They should be able to genuinely perform to a high standard. An attacker with his number does not fill that function.

Park Ji Sung was thought by our own fans to be a workhorse, yet he consistently performed in big games with numbers to show for it, and stepped up and won us games on his own in winter 2010 which got us crucial points that culminated in our league title. That's the sort of 'useful squad player' I want at Utd.
Right now the squad is in need of players who can 'stretch out the play' on that right flank as an alternative tactical option to Mkhi/Mata who are both playmaking options. Now I am not saying Ox is the best option on the market, but if we were in for him, I could see him being a good option and someone who can perform to a high standard. He is a guy who can change a game with a moment of magic or drive past players.. he would definitely be a more useful player than Lingard.

Having players in the squad who are on the verge of first team football is a useful thing to have when you're trying to win league titles, you can't always go out and buy first team stars, as they're less content being on the bench.. you sometimes have to lure players with the promise, they may become first team footballers and almost play on their desperation to win trophies (knowing full well, they'll be an excellent squad player but unlikely to be a regular first teamer). As far as I can see, guys like Young/Lingard vs Ox.. I'd rather have Ox, he'd be more exciting, have more of an impact on games and would get enough football here to become a better player despite not quite having enough to be a regular first team player.

Sort of player that Wenger has no idea how to get the best out of.. complete anthesis of an Arsenal player (flair, direct, pace and power.. no wonder Wenger hates him).

TehRed

He'll sit on the bench at either Liverpool or Chelsea. Liverpool have better starting wingers in Salah and Mane, and they are well stocked in central/attacking midfield with Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Milner, Grujic and the possible retention of Coutinho. Chelsea will likely play him as a backup wing-back, so he'd possibly get more games there as they have less options. I think Chelsea makes more sense for him, he'd be both more likely to play and more likely to win things.

Boycott

I think the problem with him is he has been allowed to coast along. Very naturally gifted - good balance and close control, strong dribbler, tries his best even when it's not going well. But I more often than not watch him thinking he does not showcase his talent anyway near enough.

It's a combination of not having long enough runs in the team in a set position and him not seemingly being coached well enough to develop his all round game. Yes he can carry the ball well but in six years has he improved the other aspects of his game enough...? Fearlessness and having an explosive burst gets rave plaudits as a young player but soon people know strengths and weaknesses and suss you out.

Maybe he could become a somewhat late bloomer like Moussa Dembele who went from left wing to central midfield at about the same age and who has similar strengths. For that he needs to move clubs and learn in a new environment where he has no attachment too. At Arsenal you get the feeling he is one of those blokes who is 'everyone's mate' having been there since age 17 so he gets off lightly.

Boycott

Right now the squad is in need of players who can 'stretch out the play' on that right flank as an alternative tactical option to Mkhi/Mata who are both playmaking options. Now I am not saying Ox is the best option on the market, but if we were in for him, I could see him being a good option and someone who can perform to a high standard. He is a guy who can change a game with a moment of magic or drive past players.. he would definitely be a more useful player than Lingard.

Having players in the squad who are on the verge of first team football is a useful thing to have when you're trying to win league titles, you can't always go out and buy first team stars, as they're less content being on the bench.. you sometimes have to lure players with the promise, they may become first team footballers and almost play on their desperation to win trophies (knowing full well, they'll be an excellent squad player but unlikely to be a regular first teamer). As far as I can see, guys like Young/Lingard vs Ox.. I'd rather have Ox, he'd be more exciting, have more of an impact on games and would get enough football here to become a better player despite not quite having enough to be a regular first team player.

Sort of player that Wenger has no idea how to get the best out of.. complete anthesis of an Arsenal player (flair, direct, pace and power.. no wonder Wenger hates him).
Post Highbury

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
For me he's a player who has stagnated due to atrocious coaching. Who was the last young player to improve whilst at Arsenal?

He's got a higher ceiling than Moses if you ask me and so if Conte can mould the latter into something approximating an acceptable wingback then he should do even better with Ox who is younger and more talented.

180k per week would be outrageous, however. The optimist in me would hope that he's rejecting that contract as he's desperate to get out of Arsenal no matter what and is willing to leave money on the table to do so.

0161_UNITED

I read the quotes from Wenger about Ox becoming a first team staple, and for some reason I immediately thought back to Walcott a few years ago. Walcott's contract was winding down and he was making noises about his best position being a centre forward. Wenger played him up top for a couple of matches, Walcott signed an extension, and boom, he went right back to being in a rotation on the wing. I wouldn't be half surprised to see Ox in CM this weekend :) Wenger, wily old geezer up to his old tricks.

0161_UNITED

For me he's a player who has stagnated due to atrocious coaching. Who was the last young player to improve whilst at Arsenal?

He's got a higher ceiling than Moses if you ask me and so if Conte can mould the latter into something approximating an acceptable wingback then he should do even better with Ox who is younger and more talented.

180k per week would be outrageous, however. The optimist in me would hope that he's rejecting that contract as he's desperate to get out of Arsenal no matter what and is willing to leave money on the table to do so.
Perhaps Wenger is somewhat to blame. Ramsey, Walcott, Alex, Wilshere, Giroud, any fullback not named Bellerin, all seem to have a run of form, and either because of injury, form, or rotation seems to fall back into a rotation it seems.

Brophs

The One and Only
Daft question, obviously, but what position does he actually want to play/what sort of player does he see himself as? Centre mid? Or playing from wide?

Shady

Never had more than 2 league goals in a season. Very limited player.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Daft question, obviously, but what position does he actually want to play/what sort of player does he see himself as? Centre mid? Or playing from wide?
He wants to play CM, I'm assuming as a box to box midfielder.

POF

He wants to play CM, I'm assuming as a box to box midfielder.
He shouldn't. Wing back at Chelsea would be a great move for him. He's a much better player than Moses.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He shouldn't. Wing back at Chelsea would be a great move for him. He's a much better player than Moses.
Exactly. Given how much Moses has improved under Conte you'd think AOC would be very keen to learn from proper tutelage as he enters his prime years.

Scholsey2004

If we signed him it'd most likely be as a squad player. I'm not convinced he'd be a first choice for any of the top sides other than perhaps spurs. People saying he's an upgrade on lingard. I disagree, I think they're about the same level. Its the 'grass is always greener...' effect.

el3mel

I don't hope he leave Arsenal for Liverpool or Chelsea. He's a very good player who will be of a great help to any big EPL club but as long as he's in Arsenal I'm not afraid of him doing anything tbh, same as Sanchez. His full potential will be unleashed if he went to a club in a much better state so if it's not us, I don't want him to leave then.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
If we signed him it'd most likely be as a squad player. I'm not convinced he'd be a first choice for any of the top sides other than perhaps spurs. People saying he's an upgrade on lingard. I disagree, I think they're about the same level. Its the 'grass is always greener...' effect.
No. He is miles better than Lingard. And I'm a massive lingard fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.