Alex Salmond and Independence

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
The reason we went for a common travel area with Ireland was for the benefit of Northern Ireland as opposed to Great Britain itself. If Scotland decided to split off then the sentiment in the rest of the UK would be that Scotland should be fully responsible for its future and that the UK shouldn't unnecessarily support that future, as such there would be more than an urging for ties to be cordial but by no means special or enhanced.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Has it not occurred to Salmond that if he needs to recruit the votes of 16 year old kids that have no life experience or understanding of politics to swing the referendum his way............then it might be a shit idea.
He's far too pig-headed to care; If he thought it was such a fantastic idea he wouldn't be stalling on delivering the referendum. Alex Salmond wants more power and he wants to be the man that brought Scotland "freedom". He couldn't care less that everyone else is going to be worse off if they leave the Union.

shaydun

The reason we went for a common travel area with Ireland was for the benefit of Northern Ireland as opposed to Great Britain itself. If Scotland decided to split off then the sentiment in the rest of the UK would be that Scotland should be fully responsible for its future and that the UK shouldn't unnecessarily support that future, as such there would be more than an urging for ties to be cordial but by no means special or enhanced.
I'm not referring to the Common Travel Area, I'm referring to the citizenship situation that existed for Irish people, right up until 1949.

Even now, British and Irish citizens are not treated as foreigners in either country. And they have never been, even during times of seriously strained relations.

It is hard to imagine that Scots will not be given the same status as Irish people.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not referring to the Common Travel Area, I'm referring to the citizenship situation that existed for Irish people, right up until 1949.

Even now, British and Irish citizens are not treated as foreigners in either country. And they have never been, even during times of seriously strained relations.

It is hard to imagine that Scots will not be given the same status as Irish people.
Yes, and because of Northern Ireland.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Brian, the UK isn't going to kick out a million Scots. The business community would be up in arms. You hate that.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Brian, the UK isn't going to kick out a million Scots. The business community would be up in arms. You hate that.
The point is it could happen as could many other things that would make independence unviable - voting for independence and then deciding on the terms is the wrong way round to do it. If I were Scottish I would want to exactly what we were getting ourselves in for before voting.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
It could happen that the UK wages war on Scotland solely by firing Scotch eggs as artillery. It won't though.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
On the contrary, when countries historically have split their citizenship has changed to that of the country of their birth.
How many of the 800,000 Scots in England are married to English people? How many kids are living in England with one or more Scottish parent? Just think of all the Scottish people in prominent positions in the British media, business, politics etc. Do you really think there is even the slightest chance a British government could take away the citizenship of nearly 1 million Scottish people living in England, or even worse, take away their right to reside in England?

Not a chance.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
How many of the 800,000 Scots in England are married to English people? How many kids are living in England with one or more Scottish parent? Just think of all the Scottish people in prominent positions in the British media, business, politics etc. Do you really think there is even the slightest chance a British government could take away the citizenship of nearly 1 million Scottish people living in England, or even worse, take away their right to reside in England?

Not a chance.
It makes it extremely difficult, I am not saying it would happen but you cannot simply ignore the question of citizenship with 1.4 million Britons to be affected in such a way on both sides of the border.

rednev

The Lib Dems would be screwed too. Boundary changes mean they are being wiped out in Wales entirely, and of course they're going to struggle to win votes in English constituencies with large university populations for the next two GEs at least. So on top of that, losing 11 seats in Scotland would hit them hard.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
The Lib Dems would be screwed too. Boundary changes mean they are being wiped out in Wales entirely, and of course they're going to struggle to win votes in English constituencies with large university populations for the next two GEs at least. So on top of that, losing 11 seats in Scotland would hit them hard.
Many of their seats in the south west are held with very small majorities to the conservatives with labour nowhere to be seen.

rednev

Just picture how messed up the country would be if we were to have back-to-back Tory governments for a generation. Imagine how cocky they would get - guaranteed majorities would mean there would be no need for leaders like Cameron, the raving backbenchers and blue-rinse constituency associations would be able to appoint complete mentalists without fear of losing out to Labour. The social unrest after a decade of it would be unreal.

rednev

Many of their seats in the south west are held with very small majorities to the conservatives with labour nowhere to be seen.
Well they'd better hope they manage to keep hold of them at the next election. Without Scotland and the inner-city student areas, the SW would be their only reason to exist.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Just picture how messed up the country would be if we were to have back-to-back Tory governments for a generation. Imagine how cocky they would get - guaranteed majorities would mean there would be no need for leaders like Cameron, the raving backbenchers and blue-rinse constituency associations would be able to appoint complete mentalists without fear of losing out to Labour. The social unrest after a decade of it would be unreal.
Yeah in reality I'd be surprised if it was more than three terms. After a while most of the country hates the governing party, it's inevitable.

evra

The country is pretty messed up after thirteen years of Labour majorities.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
Yeah in reality I'd be surprised if it was more than three terms. After a while most of the country hates the governing party, it's inevitable.
Pretty much a fact of life. And we're in the first term already.

Looked at from an alternative point of view, after a while it would just be more obvious who the Tories actually represent.

And some of those who think it's them now, might just have a re-think.

rednev

You're probably right. It would certainly give them much more breathing space, though.

The country is pretty messed up after thirteen years of Labour majorities.
Quite the opposite. Don't let the global financial crisis cloud your judgement. Had Labour left in 2008, they would have been leaving the country with vastly improved infrastructures (most notably the NHS and our state schools) AND a smaller national debt and budget deficit than that left behind by the previous Tory government.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
On the contrary, the exact opposite of that happened when Ireland broke away from the UK.

And if the British govt was willing to extend citizenship to Irish people, surely they would offer the same to Scottish people?

Btw, all of this tough talk and fear-mongering is only going to drive Scottish people away from the union. There are plenty of really good reasons why they should remain in the union. Make those arguments.

Airing the view that they're a gang of pussies and wouldn't last a second in the real world is not exactly going to get them on side. You wouldn't like anyone talking down to you, or telling you that England couldn't survive on its own. So why do the same to the Scots? Serves no purpose, except to leave proud people with no other option than to dig their heels in and try to prove you wrong. If that's the only option you are giving them, don't be surprised when they take it.

100 years ago, Ireland was given only one option and they took it.
Same thing could happen here, albeit without the violence.
This, every time Cameron says "its not your choice" or "youd be fecked" he will just rile up anti British sentiment further. Hes a fecking moron.

If Scotland broke away, there is no way England are just going to screw them over that far. There will not be a closed border, they will still be British Citizens just like the Irish are.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
If Scotland broke away, there is no way England are just going to screw them over that far. There will not be a closed border, they will still be British Citizens just like the Irish are.
British opinion wouldn't allow it, and unless the European Commission flouts its own treaties we couldn't have an open border with them.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
British opinion wouldn't allow it, and unless the European Commission flouts its own treaties we couldn't have an open border with them.
Yes but they will flout it won't they. In this case, they are simply going to follow whatever we choose to do. We simply haven't been down this road before, the protocols aren't in place.

I'd be amazed if the EU didn't follow the UK in this case.

evra

Quite the opposite. Don't let the global financial crisis cloud your judgement. Had Labour left in 2008, they would have been leaving the country with vastly improved infrastructures (most notably the NHS and our state schools) AND a smaller national debt and budget deficit than that left behind by the previous Tory government.
Higher taxes, higher public spending, masses of waste/bureaucracy, immigration out of control, tuition fees, expensive wars and sovereignty diluted. All this without even mentioning the financial crisis. I find it astonishing that some are trying to rewrite history and pretend that Labour had nothing to do with the recession.

rednev

Higher taxes, higher public spending, masses of waste/bureaucracy, immigration out of control, tuition fees, expensive wars and sovereignty diluted. All this without even mentioning the financial crisis. I find it astonishing that some are trying to rewrite history and pretend that Labour had nothing to do with the recession.
Tory policy promised to stick to Labour spending plans throughout most of the 2000s, so unless you want to call the party you support a bunch of liars, there would have been no change in that department had Labour not been in power. And of course an increase in public spending was necessary after the shambolic state the NHS and state schools were left in by the previous government.

Waste/bureaucracy is a meaningless criticism because it isn't backed up by anything. There is no data to suggest that waste (whatever that is) was more prevalent as a proportion of the public sector under Labour than it was under the Tories. Opposition politicians love to use the term 'waste'/we'll sort out the waste' because it is a nothing-statement.

Immigration was a driving force of growth during that time, and is one of the reasons why the UK will go on to become Europe's largest and most successful major economy. Even if you don't buy that, I don't think immigration policy would have been hugely different under the Tories - business was calling out for it.

I don't have to remind you that the Tories supported Labour's position when it came to Iraq and Afghanistan...even more passionately than Labour itself, I should add. The war situation would have been exactly the same under a Tory government and you know it.

Sovereignty diluted? I don't agree with that at all. The most important issue of sovereignty under the New Labour government was the Euro currency, and the party made the right decision on that one.

Of course Labour had something to do with the recession because they were the governing party. Labour had nothing to do with the global financial crisis and I don't think anyone in their right mind would claim that, had the Tories been in government in the years leading up to the crisis, the UK economy would have avoided recession after the shitstorm going on around us. If anything it would have been even deeper. Alistair Darling and Gordon Brown have been praised around the world for their handling of the crisis. Had your lot been in charge, according to the party stance as it all kicked off, our banking system would have completely collapsed. You might want to talk about irresponsible level of private debt in the UK, but do you seriously believe it would have been any different had Labour not been in power?

evra

Tory policy promised to stick to Labour spending plans throughout most of the 2000s, so unless you want to call the party you support a bunch of liars, there would have been no change in that department had Labour not been in power. And of course an increase in public spending was necessary after the shambolic state the NHS and state schools were left in by the previous government.

Waste/bureaucracy is a meaningless criticism because it isn't backed up by anything. There is no data to suggest that waste (whatever that is) was more prevalent as a proportion of the public sector under Labour than it was under the Tories. Opposition politicians love to use the term 'waste'/we'll sort out the waste' because it is a nothing-statement.

Immigration was a driving force of growth during that time, and is one of the reasons why the UK will go on to become Europe's largest and most successful major economy. Even if you don't buy that, I don't think immigration policy would have been hugely different under the Tories - business was calling out for it.

I don't have to remind you that the Tories supported Labour's position when it came to Iraq and Afghanistan...even more passionately than Labour itself, I should add. The war situation would have been exactly the same under a Tory government and you know it.

Sovereignty diluted? I don't agree with that at all. The most important issue of sovereignty under the New Labour government was the Euro currency, and the party made the right decision on that one.

Of course Labour had something to do with the recession because they were the governing party. Labour had nothing to do with the global financial crisis and I don't think anyone in their right mind would claim that, had the Tories been in government in the years leading up to the crisis, the UK economy would have avoided recession after the shitstorm going on around us. If anything it would have been even deeper. Alistair Darling and Gordon Brown have been praised around the world for their handling of the crisis. Had your lot been in charge, according to the party stance as it all kicked off, our banking system would have completely collapsed. You might want to talk about irresponsible level of private debt in the UK, but do you seriously believe it would have been any different had Labour not been in power?
Nobody can say with any degree of certainty how this country would look if the Conservative party had been in power for the last fifteen years, it's all meaningless speculation. What we can say is that after thirteen years of New Labour the country is in an woeful state.

rednev

Nobody can say with any degree of certainty how this country would look if the Conservative party had been in power for the last fifteen years, it's all meaningless speculation. What we can say is that after thirteen years of New Labour the country is in an woeful state.
If you're going to blame Labour for the woeful state the economy, then obviously you have to consider the extent to which Labour are to blame. There isn't a convincing argument to suggest that the country would be in a much better state had the Tories been in government, but there is a very convincing argument that points to the contrary.

The recession was inevitable, unless you think the Tories would have isolated us from the rest of the world had they been in power, and the only way the current debt problem would be considerably less severe had they been in government is if a.) huge surpluses were being run in the years leading up to 2008 in anticipation of the recession or b.) the financial sector had been reined in.

A.) is not very likely, and I would say that only the left can sincerely blame Labour for their failure to regulate/tighten the financial sector sufficiently. You can't do it from the Thatcherite right and expect to be taken seriously. That would be like the neo-cons in the US criticising Obama for his tough stance on military operations in Pakistan.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
The politics of envy I see, the one form of discrimination that is seemingly still allowed is against the priviledged.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Of please do feck off.

Government is meant to be for the people, not just the richest 2 or 3 percent of people which this government is increasingly favoring, not surprisingly. The article raises a good point, if Scotland was truly independent then it actually frees up these silver spoon yahoos to do even more damage. Lets just hope the Lords can stop them from wrecking the NHS.

And what were the Lib-Dem's thinking? Surely half the people who voted for them will jump ship at the next election in disgust? Of course Labor are a bit of a shambles so they may not be in a position to take advantage of it.

Of course it could be worse. You could have Australia's politicians. Dumb and Dumber.

So dumb that the Greens are looking good.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
And envy? Kinell, I'd rather top myself than hang out with drooling halfwit Tarquins like that if that was the price of extreme wealth.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Possibly or possibly the word wannabe needs to be added to the description.