Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossa

He's no weight or strength to him though either. You need at least some physical presence or pace. One or the other. I really wish he did as his attitude is great.
Again, look at TAA, Chilwell, Digne and Baines back in the day. None of them physical specimens, but had/have other qualities. Telles supposedly has a great cross on him. Let’s see how that works with more playing time.

Gandalf

He's no weight or strength to him though either. You need at least some physical presence or pace. One or the other. I really wish he did as his attitude is great.
He did as well as could be expected in the circumstances but I don't think he is good enough in the long run to stick around and it is not like he is a youngster. I expect he is one that Rangnick will look to replace in the summer.

Rossa

When he gets a head of steam he's quick. Maybe his acceleration isn't great but when he gets into his stride he definately is. Telles is one paced
Disagree. TAA has great timing and a sweet right foot, and just like Lingard he is able to run at high intensity all through the game, but he is the epitome of one paced. I’d argue they would be just about the same in a straight up foot race.

Played well. He's not going to displace Shaw, but he provides enough to be a decent backup.

SER19

Played well. He's not going to displace Shaw, but he provides enough to be a decent backup.
He should start until his form drops. We need to start actually punishing mediocrity and Shaw has been dreadful

The United

Thought his defending on space behind him was AWBish.

We were lucky to not concede from those chances. The guy seemed slow for a top FB which he is not.

Marwood

Again, look at TAA, Chilwell, Digne and Baines back in the day. None of them physical specimens, but had/have other qualities. Telles supposedly has a great cross on him. Let’s see how that works with more playing time.
I'd argue most if not all those are physically better than Telles but it's neither here nor there anyway. Wingers are going to take advantage of him, Leighton Baines being lightweight a decade ago won't change that.

Idxomer

I'd argue most if not all those are physically better than Telles but it's neither here nor there anyway. Wingers are going to take advantage of him, Leighton Baines being lightweight a decade ago won't change that.
And that's not his only problem, he can't carry the ball forward at all and you can't really use him to build up from the back either.

CloneMC16

His perception of where the ball is in the air is worse than AWB. He mistimed almost every header his way. I don't see it with him.

arthurka

His perception of where the ball is in the air is worse than AWB. He mistimed almost every header his way. I don't see it with him.
Agree he is terrible in the air, looks like he is afraid of the ball. But if I had to pick one of him or Shaw I would always pick him. Looks in shape same thing can't be said about Shaw.

Waynne

He should start until his form drops. We need to start actually punishing mediocrity and Shaw has been dreadful
Exactly this.

Don't understand why people can't grasp the concept that there should be genuine competition for places in this team. It brings the best out of players if they have to fight for their positions.
Shaw needs to get gud before he gets back in this team.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
His celebration of a tackle in the first half was comedy gold.

KingCavani

Certainly been a massive improvement on Shaw but he still has serious deficiencies in his defending. I really believe in a cohesive team that his left foot would be a weapon. He had some deliveries into great areas.

Dropping him shouldn’t even be considered given how Shaw was playing but we seen Maguire walk back in when Bailly had a good performance, albeit under a different manager. Still feel Shaw’s reputation will get him back in the side.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I guess it's not a popular opinion, but good Telles is still worse as a fullback than bad Shaw.

A better team with a pacy winger would just focus on him and have great success - he's simply not able to deal with pace (nor balls in the air).

Could be useful as a wing back if we have the ball all the time. Or maybe even as a LMF in a true 442. But he's not a premier league FB.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I guess it's not a popular opinion, but good Telles is still worse as a fullback than bad Shaw.

A better team with a pacy winger would just focus on him and have great success - he's simply not able to deal with pace (nor balls in the air).

Could be useful as a wing back if we have the ball all the time. Or maybe even as a LMF in a true 442. But he's not a premier league FB.
Harsh on him though. He hasn't had a run at all in the side. Think he will get better. If the rumors are true, Ralf will play 2 forwards and his delivery will be very useful.

Devil may care

Given he's not played back to back games very often for us I think he's done reasonably well in the last 2 games.

BarstoolProphet

Agree. His defence positioning and anticipation is worryingly bad even though I like his general attitude on the pitch.

RUCK4444

Positionally poor (again) - if Saka was a more accomplished finisher/attacker he had acres of space multiple times towards the end of the game where Telles was so narrow, playing pretty much as a CB (positionally.)

I'm thinking this issue of the fullbacks tucking in really narrow into CB positions is somewhat tactical (from Ole and Carrick's time) as AWB does this a lot as well. Either way I don't trust Telles defensively but him and Dalot got the job just about done last night.

Madness to think any of them are better than Shaw / AWB though imo. Not that those two cannot be improved upon, they are just the best we have in those fullback positions.

romufc

I think he's got better by every game, he hasn't had a chance to play much. You can see what with poor defensive positioning.

Still think Shaw is better, although on the press he is better at getting close to the attacker.

youmeletsfly

Luke Shaw had 3-4 seasons to prove himself. Telles should get at least a decent run in the team.

kundalini

I thought Telles was ok overall, though his positioning and inability to deal with crosses from the other side were rather alarming. Having said that, an improvement on this season's Luke Shaw.

Still wonder about the scouting that thought Telles was good enough for the PL.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Proof that the time-honoured adage that you should "Shaw, not Telles" does not always yield the best results.

captaincantona

Thought he was Arsenal level...not great defending...not great going forward but held it together for the most part so we should be glad...that’s where we are these days...

but him celebrating himself for a pretty standard sliding tackle...Denis Irwin fuked his Roy Keane mug at the telly when saw that!

OverratedOpinion

Just very much an average left back at this level, absolutely fine as cover. Just really isn't much more to say about him other than he is okay.

macheda14

Thought he was Arsenal level...not great defending...not great going forward but held it together for the most part so we should be glad...that’s where we are these days...

but him celebrating himself for a pretty standard sliding tackle...Denis Irwin fuked his Roy Keane mug at the telly when saw that!
It wasn't standard the player was past him and he was at full stretch and timed it very well. If celebrating your tackles pumps yourself up then go for it. People have different ways they approach psyching themselves up.

miked99

The issue with Telles (and Dalot, to a degree) is they've not really had an extended run in the team to acclimatise to the league. They come in here and there for an occasional appearance, don't tend to play well and then aren't used again for a while. I think there's more potential than we've seen from both.

Reactions: Cheimoon

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It wasn't standard the player was past him and he was at full stretch and timed it very well. If celebrating your tackles pumps yourself up then go for it. People have different ways they approach psyching themselves up.
It also might be a way to get the edge over the tackled player, sending the message "look at me, I'm ready to battle you by all means and will have fun doing so".

If that works is another question, but it is at least a possible effect of celebrating such scenes.

captaincantona

Just poking a bit of fun...that’s all...I certainly like to punch the air as much as the next guy when I need to motivate myself...you should have seen me try to talk to my wife this morning...I nearly gave my 3 year old an uppercut.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Disagree - the way Shaw has played this season, Telles should be starting.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He and Dallot defensively did better above my expectation.

youngrell

I felt through most of the game he was doing pretty well, but almost all the danger from Arsenal was down his flank, which is telling.

Think he can improve quite a bit, like the majority of our players. Hopefully the new coach is the man to do this.

Man Utd 1:0 Crystal Palace

el3mel

IMO, better performance than anything Shaw has put this season.

I'll keep him as a starter for now. When Shaw returns, he'll have to work for regain his position, again.

You can see why he was captain at Porto. Plays with such intensity and energy, always hyping up the players around him.

Had a very good game today. Really committed defending and always offered an outlet in possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.