Alex Telles - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Seems like a classic caf case of he's shit because he's linked with us, whereas if he goes PSG, he'll have been exactly what we need.

Rolaholic

So English journos are reporting on this too now I see, figuring this'll get done this week

Tel074

He's 28 and has no international caps.

If United sign a 28 year old, I'd want him to be a World Class player.

Just feels like yet another patch-job.

He may prove me wrong and be a top signing. But I very highly doubt it.
I agree with this. I'd be worried signing a guy of that age who hasn't really done a whole lot in his career

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He’s 28 according the Caf despite the fact he’s got a 3 months left of being 27. At what point do we start rounding up?

Siorac

Seems like a classic caf case of he's shit because he's linked with us, whereas if he goes PSG, he'll have been exactly what we need.
It's sort of understandable though: our signings have a very frustrating tendency of proving to be shit.

Pav1878

In fairness
He's 28 and has no international caps.

If United sign a 28 year old, I'd want him to be a World Class player.

Just feels like yet another patch-job.

He may prove me wrong and be a top signing. But I very highly doubt it.
In fairness he's had Marcelo, Alex Sandro, Felipe Luis and even Dani alves ahead of him on that left side.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Looks like he has made the team of the year in Portugal every season he has been there. Also did so in Brazil at the age of 21.

lilcurt

So the players we need most as probably a RW CB and CDM. Yet we will likely just buy a LB and CAM... Right

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
So the players we need most as probably a RW CB and CDM. Yet we will likely just buy a LB and CAM... Right
In the modern game a lot is created from the fb position so if he makes us more dangerous in attack it would be a good deal.

This window is still underwhelming though

croadyman

We will get a RW too but in regards to CB it looks like we are waiting for Upamecano release clause & CDM will come in next summer too when Ole realises Scott & Fred aren't capable of playing that role.

Rolaholic

So you really expect Shaw to just stay fit playing at least twice a week for the next nine months?

LB was always a need this summer for me

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's just not though is he?

What a ridiculous post.
Anything justifying Luke’s continuing presence on our team sheet would be ridiculous. My post is just honest opinion. I am sick of watching him in our colours.

BlahRules

Luke belongs in Championship/ League One regardless of what position he is in. He is an utterly useless footballer at PL level.
I myself don't rate him but he has played well as a LCB. Hopefully he ressurect
Thinking the exact same thing. He's done pretty well as a CB when three at the back. He's strong, decent in the air, great speed for a CB, especially top speed so plenty of recovery pace for whichever English or Swedish snail is next to him. He's also very comfortable playing out from the back and has better technique than anyone else currently in our back four. I actually think he could do an Alba and be a pretty darn good CB. As a fullback, he's decent enough, but not much more than that - too limited going forward and not good enough at defending to make it worthwhile.

We lose next to nothing in the air if he's partnering Maguire. If he's partnering Lindelof, then we are fecked, but we are fecked whoever is partnering him atm.
I agree, im hoping he can do an Alba. Currently Shaw acts like a lemon when playing as LB. Being a good 1v1, having good pace and passing abilities will allow him to better suited as a CB.

BlahRules

Nope. Shaw is so defensively unaware it’s scary for a professional DEFENDER. I’d just replace him in the 11 (he’s good for the bench) with Telles and be done with it. That’s a good set of LBs tbf, Telles, Shaw and Williams.
Shaw has played better defensively when playing as a LCB this could be because he had to focus on the defensive side of the game and not the attack. Shaw having good pace and passing ability may allow him to shine in that role. This is all ifs and buts so who knows what OGS is thinking.

Adamsk7

I really don’t get these negative views. It’s clear just watching bloody YouTube videos that he is a better crosser than anyone in our team and puts in a more progressive full back performance than any of our fullbacks! He’s been voted the best left back in Portugal like 4 yrs running and it’s not like Porto are shit, they are the top team in that league with the most expectation (along with Benfica) and consistently play Champions League football, something we can’t say currently....

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Have you just reduced a LWB to a LB “who bombs forward a lot” :lol:
Everyone I have seen talk about him has said he's better in attack than defense. That in my mind is a LWB even if he plays in a 4. That's my Football manager influence there fella.

Definitely think we should get him as our fullbacks are pathetic with the ball.

Syphon Wallet

A very important goal in the title race for Porto last season....

.https://youtu.be/mZxXyETI74U

snowkarl

He's been touted around the world for 6-7 years. Not one club has gone in for him despite the fact that left footed defenders are in extremely high demand. What does that tell you?

His performances recently have been good - but it's the Portuguese league.

Not sure how he'd do, but if he was as good as everyone says; why's no one ever even made a bid for him?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I really don’t get these negative views. It’s clear just watching bloody YouTube videos that he is a better crosser than anyone in our team and puts in a more progressive full back performance than any of our fullbacks! He’s been voted the best left back in Portugal like 4 yrs running and it’s not like Porto are shit, they are the top team in that league with the most expectation (along with Benfica) and consistently play Champions League football, something we can’t say currently....
What's the point of crossing the ball in when we've nobody in the box to get to them though?

RashyForPM

Shaw has played better defensively when playing as a LCB this could be because he had to focus on the defensive side of the game and not the attack. Shaw having good pace and passing ability may allow him to shine in that role. This is all ifs and buts so who knows what OGS is thinking.
Yeah but that was in a back three. If we primarily played a back three we’d be more screwed than we already are against fodder. And just for Luke Shaw, who is hardly a good player? Nah.

ghagua

Very good signing if true. He will bring some creativity from the fullback area. Not sure who is going to be finishing them off though.....Our players have an allergic reaction to getting into the box to finish off chances.

Jezpeza

I’m on the fence. Would have been an outstanding signing about 4 years ago. Would still be useful now. Give them dalot and a bag of peanuts for him

RUCK4444

I’m on the fence. Would have been an outstanding signing about 4 years ago. Would still be useful now. Give them dalot and a bag of peanuts for him
Agree mostly. Doubt he will push Shaw out of the team.
Unless we switch to 3 at the back with Shaw as the LCB as others have suggested.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What's the point of crossing the ball in when we've nobody in the box to get to them though?
I think this is where players will need to learn and realise that they have quality crosser and make sure they are getting ready to make run to the box everytime Telles has the ball.

Jezpeza

Agree mostly. Doubt he will push Shaw out of the team.
Unless we switch to 3 at the back with Shaw as the LCB as others have suggested.
Yeah i just think it would be a strong rotation option or adds that 3 at the back option. I also think Williams would be better at right back as cover for AWB

Adamsk7

Maybe the end game is we get a Raul Jiminez type next summer to compete with Martial? I do think that Bruno and Donny are both decent at arriving late in to the box, similar to scholesy

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I couldn’t care less how many caps he has for Brazil. There are many good players who don’t get selected for their national team due to several reasons. Sometimes there are even better players around and sometimes the national coach thinks he has better players available but he is wrong. Carrick got overlooked too often. Gabi (Atletico) hardly played for Spain (if at all).

Status
Not open for further replies.