Alex Telles - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezpeza

United are doing the right thing for a change and I would usually be critical of how we handle negotiations.

£12m is a generous offer under the circumstances. We are effectively saying to Porto that if they want to keep him for one final season... it will cost them £12m and his salary on top. A club that needs the money. It should just be a case of 'take it or leave it'.
Yeah imagine trying to blag another 6mil then not getting the money, he signs a pre contract and hangs round all season being the guy who doesn't want to play for the team anymore and leaves for zero

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
United are doing the right thing for a change and I would usually be critical of how we handle negotiations.

£12m is a generous offer under the circumstances. We are effectively saying to Porto that if they want to keep him for one final season... it will cost them £12m and his salary on top. A club that needs the money. It should just be a case of 'take it or leave it'.
Exactly. What’s the alternative for Porto? Keep an unhappy player in the last year of his contract and make no money on him during a global pandemic.

Absolutely the right move from the club as the window gets closer to closing the pressure will mount on them to get a fee and nobody else is in for him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Porto won't let him walk for free. 10-15m is still a big amount for the Portuguese clubs. They're quite righty trying to get every penny they can, and we are quite rightly trying to get him as cheap as possible.

I'm sure we will end up meeting in then the middle somewhere, can't see us walking away over a few million.

GledTheRed

I don't get why people don't understand that when it's free transfer/pre contract, it's very different. Telles may agree to not being a guaranteed starter now (since he has time to fight for the position), but next year when World Cup is getting closer, he would be more ambitious in his choice.
He's also want a fat signing on fee and more wages and we wouldn't have him for a year.

arthurka

I for one understand Ed here 18m is to much for a player that can leave on free next summer, 12m was a fair offer.
The thing is these teams know we will pay if the need is there thats why they stand firm against us.

ti vu

Exactly. What’s the alternative for Porto? Keep an unhappy player in the last year of his contract and make no money on him during a global pandemic.

Absolutely the right move from the club as the window gets closer to closing the pressure will mount on them to get a fee and nobody else is in for him.
Telles is not crazy about moving. Porto just can't match his demand for renewal. If he wants to get good wage, and find good club for his next club, he would still need to perform, until his next club is truly settled for good. He's not superstar that can live off previous achievement to indulge himself for a whole season waiting for his next club.

It's not black and white situation here.

RedNed77

I don't get why people don't understand that when it's free transfer/pre contract, it's very different. Telles may agree to not being a guaranteed starter now (since he has time to fight for the position), but next year when World Cup is getting closer, he would be more ambitious in his choice.
He's playing in Portugal at 27 years old. He's been capped by Brazil once. I'm not sure signing for a Stoke like club, where he is going to be first choice, is going to improve his chances of picking up more Brazil caps. It also seems unlikely there's going to be a clamour from Europes top clubs to get him signed up as first choice.

I really don't understand why people are so desperate to get this transfer over the line. He's not an upgrade on Shaw in any way whatsoever, he's a depth signing and he's not going to improve our first team at all, he'll just be a more able deputy than a currently very limited Brandon Williams. £12m would be too much in my opinion, but probably ok given the prices we usually pay. We also need to make sure any salary offer is in line with what he could expect to be paid elsewhere when we inevitably shift him on as dead wood in 18 months.

If the player doesn’t want to come, now or then, then who cares, he’s not the right player. We move on.

From the players perspective it’s a big risk, what he if gets injured, what if he loses form, what if United buy a different player. Clearly we don’t know, but 9/10 he would want to move now with the guarantee of a 3-4 year contract than wait and risk everything.

AlexUTD

He's playing in Portugal at 27 years old. He's been capped by Brazil once. I'm not sure signing for a Stoke like club, where he is going to be first choice, is going to improve his chances of picking up more Brazil caps. It also seems unlikely there's going to be a clamour from Europes top clubs to get him signed up as first choice.

I really don't understand why people are so desperate to get this transfer over the line. He's not an upgrade on Shaw in any way whatsoever, he's a depth signing and he's not going to improve our first team at all, he'll just be a more able deputy than a currently very limited Brandon Williams. £12m would be too much in my opinion, but probably ok given the prices we usually pay. We also need to make sure any salary offer is in line with what he could expect to be paid elsewhere when we inevitably shift him on as dead wood in 18 months.
If he can do a job on the left back,and actually create goals. I would love to let Shaw play LCB so i dont have to watch Lindeløf start again.

ti vu

The extreme :lol:

You know before Stoke like club, there is club like Sevilla who can stay at a good level. Then the like of Napoli, Roma, Lazio... would be interested In free agent. Even Inter going through their aging wingback every season may be option

I don't rate Telles personally, but Shaw can be really shite, and is injury prone too. Just about Shaw level, for under 20 mil filling in is good enough.

Last edited:

dove

The extreme :lol:

You know before Stoke like club, there is club like Sevilla who can stay at a good level. Then the like of Napoli, Roma, Lazio... would be interested on free agent. Even Inter going through their aging wingback may be option.

I don't rate Telles personally, but Shaw can be really shite, and is injury prone too. Just about Shaw level, for under 20 mil filling in is good enough.
That is exactly how we ended up with squad filled with mediocre players. 20m for someone like Telles who is on the last year of his contract is mental.

ti vu

That is exactly how we ended up with squad filled with mediocre players. 20m for someone like Telles who is on the last year of his contract is mental.
It's not like this club is after Alaba who is also 3 month away from pre contract.

There is more to our transfer issue. The other option is signing nobody, then overpaying next transfer window for same position, and similar mediocre players, while ruin part of this season.

While I don't rate Telles highly, 20mil and under is reasonable fee for that rotation option. If we're really that ambitious and able to get the one of the (next) best LB, then sure, just do it.

Last edited:

dove

It's not like this club is after Alaba also 3 month till pre contract.

There is more to our transfer issue. The other option is signing nobody, then overpaying next transfer window for same position, and similar mediocre players, while ruin part of this season
Something like £12m is a fair price for him IMO, definitely not £18m. I don't understand the bashing because we refuse to pay too much.

ti vu

Something like £12m is a fair price for him IMO, definitely not £18m. I don't understand the bashing because we refuse to pay too much.
Of course, we want to save as much as possible. However, if it's between 18mil and nobody, what would you choose. I had several post on last couple pages exploring, some perspective that shows that this is not straight forward situation. There are more into play than just 2 clubs negotiating.

croadyman

It's not like this club is after Alaba who is also 3 month away from pre contract.

There is more to our transfer issue. The other option is signing nobody, then overpaying next transfer window for same position, and similar mediocre players, while ruin part of this season.

While I don't rate Telles highly, 20mil and under is reasonable fee for that rotation option. If we're really that ambitious and able to get the one of the (next) best LB, then sure, just do it.
Absolutely certain we would have gone for Alaba over him if he was actually interested in joining and not just cash

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Of course, we want to save as much as possible. However, if it's between 18mil and nobody, what would you choose. I had several post on last couple pages exploring, some perspective that shows that this is not straight forward situation. There are more into play than just 2 clubs negotiating.
Nobody.

ti vu

There was a round of rum our re our interest in Alaba during the CL run in. Thing since had died down. Who knows?
Absolutely certain we would have gone for Alaba over him if he was actually interested in joining and not just cash

croadyman

There was a round of rum our re our interest in Alaba during the CL run in. Thing since had died down. Who knows?
Didn't he want something mad like €440k a week and only to join Real/Barca too

eire-red

I'm not too excited about this one, but also using the '27, Portuguese League' argument to suggest he's not up to the level seems odd given how Bruno has turned out.

Think he'll be a good squad option, and gives us more variety. We can go 5 at the back now in certain situations, with Shaw as LCB and Telles LWB. Also, Williams can provide cover to AWB now ans we can move on Dalot.

Think what's noticable with the potential signing of Telles, and the signing of van de Beek, is they both have plenty of CL experience, as Ole knows we're going to have to rotate and having experienced heads to bring in is important.

SATA

Think we should give them 8M in a take it or leave it on October 5th. I'm sure they'll bite rather than risk him for nothing next year. But for our resident Porto fans here, let's settle for 10M

gorky_utd

15m seems fair to me. Think he will be an upgrade over Shaw and will probably be a starter. Should not lose him over 2 3m.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Porto won't let him walk for free. 10-15m is still a big amount for the Portuguese clubs. They're quite righty trying to get every penny they can, and we are quite rightly trying to get him as cheap as possible.

I'm sure we will end up meeting in then the middle somewhere, can't see us walking away over a few million.
And I'm totally fine with that approach. It will get resolved soon enough, deadline day if needs must, and he wouldn't be a candidate to play vs Spurs anyway.

Having seen various video's and read reviews, Im quite excited about him. I think he will resolve a lot of issues against lesser opposition and also in CL.

Rolaholic

Getting a lot of positive signs today...

Everyone from Ornstein, Whitwell, Nurse etc seem to believe it's a matter of 'when' rather than 'if'.

Hope we can wrap it up soon

cedara

Even for £12m, I still think it's still quite expensive for him in this circumstance. Just saw a highlight of him vs Boavista, don't see anything special from him.

https://www.youtube. com/watch?v=Jhl56KjnqIk&ab_channel=Zico7

Giggsy13

Based on your logic, we should never have signed Bruno either.

AshRK

It should have been the most simple transfer to complete and yet here we are still complicating the deal.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
And I'm totally fine with that approach. It will get resolved soon enough, deadline day if needs must, and he wouldn't be a candidate to play vs Spurs anyway.

Having seen various video's and read reviews, Im quite excited about him. I think he will resolve a lot of issues against lesser opposition and also in CL.
Yep. I get fans being frustrated and feeling impatient but as long as the deal gets done who cares. We aren't desperate that we need him TODAY, just before the window closes.

Right now the club need to save every bit they can.

AshRK

You'd rather we pay £30m instead of £15m?
Who is asking £30m? Porto's reported demands from various sources is around £18m. We are haggling for £3m. From business point of view it make sense but from football point of view especially how crap our transfer window has been it is just frustrating.

Raw

This seems like it's gonna get done eventually this summer, we're obviously just trying to see whether there's any possibility of a lower price. If not, we'll probably pay the very reasonable £18m in the end.

Giggsy13

Bruno had eyebrow raising stats on his side. Telles does not.
11 goals and 8 assists last year. “But but but he takes penalties!”, so did Bruno. Telles the year before had 4 goals and 8 assists and then 3 goals and 13 assists in the 2017/18. There are no full backs on our squad that could match that level of production and very few in Europe who could match that. He’s world class like Bruno but just needs a bigger stage to show it.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I get not wanting us to get fleeced for every transfer, but maybe it really is just us being tight? If we've got the choice of overspending or never improving the squad we're doomed to the same path as Arsenal.

Highfather_24

There's a common theme of us during transfer negotiations, with Sancho, Reguillion and now Telles, that apparently we dont want to pay too much and avoid getting "fleeced".

What will happen as a result? We will end up not signing anyone. And our supporters are defending this thinking "wow we are taking such a great business stand", not realizing this is just a spin trying to justify not spending any money on the club and the squad. Wake the feck up.

dove

There's a common theme of us during transfer negotiations, with Sancho, Reguillion and now Telles, that apparently we dont want to pay too much and avoid getting "fleeced".

What will happen as a result? We will end up not signing anyone. And our supporters are defending this thinking "wow we are taking such a great business stand", not realizing this is just a spin trying to justify not spending any money on the club and the squad. Wake the feck up.
Yea let's just ignore the fact that we are always amongst the top spenders in the world for the past 7 years or so.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

I’d rather us wait and get the right player than spend money. However, you’re absolutely correct that the problem seems to be we aren’t willing to pay for the right player. The price tag is irrelevant when they will improve your team.

We have spent a stupid amount of money of crap so I do think some of the lack of activity is an unwillingness to just spend for the sake of it, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.