Alex Telles - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I wouldn’t be taking the words of a french journalist on a Brazilian player playing in the Portuguese league signing for Utd.

Let’s walk this through. How exactly does he get his information? The agent. Who is the players agent? Pini Zahavi. Who has Zahavi done an incredible amount of business with over the last few years? PSG. Who’s left back just done their cruciate ligament and is out for 9 months? Yep, you guessed it, PSG.

Look, we might sign him but everyone needs to take a step back here - this is no different to Reguillion. We had a conversation with the agent and it went no further. Who’s to say it isn’t the same here? I’ve just got a nagging suspicion based on who the agent is and the injury to Bernat that we’re getting used to bring PSG to the table.
It's not just Bouhafsi reporting it. Jason Burt (Telegraph) Laurie Whitwell (The Athletic) and James Ducker are reporting we're in talks.

luke511

The only thing I care about is getting a squad capable of winning honours. I'd rather see squad and first-team weaknesses eliminated before buying superstars. Before you reply: Greenwood on RW is not a 'weakness'.
Eh? Signing Sancho eliminates our biggest squad weakness so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. You underestimate how flexible our front 3 becomes with Sancho included. It goes from one combination of Rashford, Martial, Greenwood to about 6 different combinations as they can all play 2 positions at least. We will have our front 3 and back up secured for the next 5/10 years off of one signing. If you want a "squad capable of winning honours and squad and first-team weaknesses eliminated" then Sancho's the top of the list. And you called my post ironic...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
and this is the stage at which Woodward offers a fiver and one-year's free subscription to MUTV...

LonelyFire

It's not just Bouhafsi reporting it. Jason Burt (Telegraph) Laurie Whitwell (The Athletic) and James Ducker are reporting we're in talks.
Bouhafsi says we’ve agreed terms with the player. The other two say we’ve spoken to intermediaries with no terms agreed with player nor any discussions with Porto.

There is a serious amount of agent led bullshit around this story and people need to stick it back in their pants before being massively let down.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Bouhafsi says we’ve agreed terms with the player. The other two say we’ve spoken to intermediaries with no terms agreed with player nor any discussions with Porto.

There is a serious amount of agent led bullshit around this story and people need to stick it back in their pants before being massively let down.
I think the calibre of the named journalists is better than to go by just agents as a source.

Strelok

According to @SportingCP96 he's better than Shaw. For 20m it's a bargain these days.

This probably solves our forever hole RW too. We can play him there and keep Shaw at LB, can't be worse than Lingard, Mata or James. I'm joking : ))

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
According to @SportingCP96 he's better than Shaw. For 20m it's a bargain these days.

This probably solves our forever hole RW too. We can play him there and keep Shaw at LB, can't be worse than Lingard, Mata or James. I'm joking : ))
maybe when you see him play in weaker Portuguese league, but it's a big step up vs premiership teams. Will take him some time I think.

bsCallout

3+1 takes the player to over 31.
If he is no good in the first 3 yrs what is the point in having him for 5.
What a bizarre way to look at it.

Because then you still have him contracted so you can sell him? Not just lose a player on a free.

If he's not good enough after 18 months then the club is still in a strong position to get a good fee for a player in their 'prime'.

Strelok

maybe when you see him play in weaker Portuguese league, but it's a big step up vs premiership teams. Will take him some time I think.
Tbh I've never seen him play. But @SportingCP96 know a thing or two about the Portuguese league. And I trust his judgment.

macheda14

@SportingCP96 also raved about how good Bruno was going to be for us. I think they might be onto something, especially when they tempered their assessment of Telles saying he isn’t world class, but will on the whole improve the side.

Mark Pawelek

??? I checked back previous 6 seasons of league fixtures played since he moved from Brazil.
2014-15 Galatasaray
2015-16 Inter (loan)
2016-20 Porto

1 match at left-midfield for Porto. Every other match at left full-back. Why would anyone want to play him at RW?

HowYouDoin

Err, what? Physical prime is 18-22.

Omg are you kidding me here? Even Ronaldo was still developing at 22.
Tell you what, I would much rather field a team of 33 year olds than 22 year olds. Players at 22 are still developing both physically and mentally. They are still considered prospects.
Otherwise teams like Ajax would win everything.

You are seriously telling me you would rather have a team of 22 year old Ronaldo, Lewandowski, Messi, Zlatan, Modric etc etc etc..than at 33? Lewandowski will turn 33 next yesr, his prime as a player is right now. Right now he is at his best. Sure as heck much better than at 22.

This age obsession here is the 2nd biggest myth next to we have no right winger. Heck it might be the biggest one. Players are not suddenly worthless when they turn 25 or 30 or heck sometimes even 35.
We are talking about a 27 yr old here, how is age an issue?

Also guess what its better to have full developed players that are 25+, sometimes even 30+ than a bunch of 18-22 year olds.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
It’s also been reported that we haven’t agreed terms and we’re still in the “just looking” phase.
You got a link to that? The agreed terms is from Boufasi who’s a solid source.

Tiber

Wont matter if we have agreed a 50 year contract if our owners want a 30% discount on the asking price

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Sammsky back again to tell everyone why they're wrong. :D

macheda14

Wont matter if we have agreed a 50 year contract if our owners want a 30% discount on the asking price
If no one else is in for him we will get him for a cheaper price. We're just negotiating to find their cut off point, they don't want to lose him on a free. Therefore, we need to find the price point that is juuuust worth it for them to sell rather than keep him for an extra year.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Eh? Signing Sancho eliminates our biggest squad weakness so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. You underestimate how flexible our front 3 becomes with Sancho included. It goes from one combination of Rashford, Martial, Greenwood to about 6 different combinations as they can all play 2 positions at least. We will have our front 3 and back up secured for the next 5/10 years off of one signing. If you want a "squad capable of winning honours and squad and first-team weaknesses eliminated" then Sancho's the top of the list. And you called my post ironic...
Our biggest weakness is CB, would have thought that was glaringly obvious?

Loon

:lol:
Ole, Ole, Telles a story....

One for the older Caf. Still shite mind, but targeted.

HackeyC

Our biggest weakness is CB, would have thought that was glaringly obvious?
But it's not really that obvious. Yes they could be improved a little, but there are no gaping issues. An injury free left back does more for the team and a threatening RW to free up AWB also brings balance.

RedNed77

You got a link to that? The agreed terms is from Boufasi who’s a solid source.

Brief time.
I mean if you want to believe in the Reddit tier system and pretend that one talking head knows more than another, it’s not going to put you off. I just don’t see how a guy known for being reliable with French related transfers is going to know squat about a Brazilian playing in Portugal.

Drifter

American
Not welcoming him to OT just yet. We are definitely in for a left back, and from what I've seen he as good pace, a trick or two and very good crossing/ passing. But will wait first until confirmed.

Strelok

??? I checked back previous 6 seasons of league fixtures played since he moved from Brazil.
2014-15 Galatasaray
2015-16 Inter (loan)
2016-20 Porto

1 match at left-midfield for Porto. Every other match at left full-back. Why would anyone want to play him at RW?
You didn't see the white text :lol: ?

Mark Pawelek

Omg are you kidding me here? Even Ronaldo was still developing at 22.
Tell you what, I would much rather field a team of 33 year olds than 22 year olds. Players at 22 are still developing both physically and mentally. They are still considered prospects.
Otherwise teams like Ajax would win everything.

You are seriously telling me you would rather have a team of 22 year old Ronaldo, Lewandowski, Messi, Zlatan, Modric etc etc etc..than at 33? Lewandowski will turn 33 next yesr, his prime as a player is right now. Right now he is at his best. Sure as heck much better than at 22.

This age obsession here is the 2nd biggest myth next to we have no right winger. Heck it might be the biggest one. Players are not suddenly worthless when they turn 25 or 30 or heck sometimes even 35.
We are talking about a 27 yr old here, how is age an issue?

Also guess what its better to have full developed players that are 25+, sometimes even 30+ than a bunch of 18-22 year olds.
It's not so much an age obsession as a way to build a squad without going bust. Suppose you bought players aged 28. Let's assume you get 6 years out of them. On average, after 33, they're done, and have no resale value. You'd need to buy 4 per year. Half at top quality (£100m), the other half at squad quality (~ £30m). You're spending: 4 × £130 ÷ 2 = £260 / year.

Glazers aren't spending £260m/year on players every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.