Alexei Navalny | Has died in prison, according to the Russian prison service

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Going to be some sight when Putin is in the first row for Trump’s inaugurationen.

Clapping and smiling for a bit until Trump goes to him to get a handshake and a picture for the ages.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I can't say I'm surprised. Especially with the way Prigozhin was killed, I have been rather surprised that Navalny was allowed to live and even communicate with the outside world.
fell down the stairs whilst shaving. just a freak accident.
And who knew there was a window at the bottom of those stairs.

Abizzz

Unsurprising. A brave man died in a country run by cowards.

One wonders how many have been killed before they could reach his stature.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Remarkably brave move to go back to Russia after his treatment abroad.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Putin really is an unhinged megalomaniacal madman.

hobbers

Wonder if they'll test him for polonium poisoning in the autopsy. Probably not.

jackal&hyde

This hurt me in a way I did not expect, knowing he is in the hands of a criminal regime. Yeah, guess I though there is a chance that a decent guy might take over Russia one day.

Feck Putin and his supporters. Including the Trump cult.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
This hurt me in a way I did not expect, knowing he is in the hands of a criminal regime. Yeah, guess I though there is a chance that a decent guy might take over Russia one day.

Feck Putin and his supporters. Including the Trump cult.
Yeah we think the same about the UK. I'm sure Americans do too of their country. And Pakistanis. Not gonna happen (or be allowed to happen) anywhere I'm afraid. :(

jackal&hyde

Yeah we think the same about the UK. I'm sure Americans do too of their country. And Pakistanis. Not gonna happen (or be allowed to happen) anywhere I'm afraid. :(
The UK or US are not in the hands of a dictator that kills his rivals. I don't understand your post.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Imagine Putin living to 95 and dying peacefully in his sleep.

Roux

Been doing of reading about Nadya Tolokonnikova (from Pussy Riot) and how she survived prison - it sounds like hell on earth. No doubt he was murdered and anyone he communicated with or was friendly with on the inside likely suffered too.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Not gonna happen (or be allowed to happen) anywhere I'm afraid.
It's mostly the actual human beings / people who are voting for those poeple and making them powerful in the first place. Let's not blame it on things like "not veing allowed" or whatever is that you meant.

74 millions people voted for Trump in 2020 if I read that well. There are millions people around the world who support the likes of Trump, Putin, Elon Musk, Andrew Tate, Orban, Israel goverment, etc. (lots of random idiots and bad people around the world).

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I might be misremembering, but wasn't he a bit of a racist nationalist?

Red Star One

The more I read and think about it, it's quite an awful news for Putin at the moment, wouldn't be that surprised if it was those that are not so fond of him that are behind the killing. Right during the Munich security conference is very unfortunate given that the wife had a chance to make a speech the very same day in front of a very high-level audience. Couple of days after the Carlson interview, a news number 1 in Russia for the whole week, still during his bootlicking phase where everyday he talks to millions of Americans online how fantastic Russia is. Ukraine fatigue kicking in especially in the US, you'd think last months have been marked with opposition against Putin slowly toning down globally. And now this mess, when the narrative only started shifting towards you?

Red Star One

not sure about racism, but nationalist 100% and a fierce supporter of Russian Crimea. Then again, you don't become a relatively popular politician in Russia without a healthy dose of nationalistic populism.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Amazed that he survived that long and his "death" has Putin's hands all over it.

Question is why now? @harms

ManUtd1999

The more I read and think about it, it's quite an awful news for Putin at the moment, wouldn't be that surprised if it was those that are not so fond of him that are behind the killing. Right during the Munich security conference is very unfortunate given that the wife had a chance to make a speech the very same day in front of a very high-level audience. Couple of days after the Carlson interview, a news number 1 in Russia for the whole week, still during his bootlicking phase where everyday he talks to millions of Americans online how fantastic Russia is. Ukraine fatigue kicking in especially in the US, you'd think last months have been marked with opposition against Putin slowly toning down globally. And now this mess, when the narrative only started shifting towards you?
Good point(s).

But, Putin did help his case in the way that he treated Nalvany in recent months. He took him to a cold place, away of family, friends and his lawyer. He didn’t need to do that. Dying in a cold Russian prison is not a surprise. And so even if he didn’t kill him today, the conditions of his captivity led gradually to this moment.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I know Navalny himself wasn't entirely clean as a whistle but then again, when you want to challenge a dictator with any sort of power and in that environment it d be almost hard to be entirely without some baggage yourself.

Having said that watching his documentary and other clips and interviews with him were very inspiring. The man fought against a system so corrupt he already acknowledged early on he can likely only hope to be an impetus for change and that his life may end much sooner than normal. For Putin to get rid of him now with the world's attention divided in so many different directions doesn't seem all that surprising. I just hope Russians themselves weren't distracted.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Amazed that he survived that long and his "death" has Putin's hands all over it.

Question is why now? @harms
Who knows. It may be a random accident — a human body isn’t suited to live in these conditions (he did spend the majority of his time there in a barely heated solitary confinement with shit food and no health care — and keep in mind that he was imprisoned right after surviving an attack by a literal chemical weapon, so his body hasn’t fully recovered yet).

It may be that Putin for whatever reason decided that this moment suits him most — maybe because he was worried of Navalny’s possible influence on the upcoming elections. Or maybe because they’ve denied Nadezhdin access to the election and there wasn’t a huge public uproar, so he figured that he could do even worse things without any repercussions. But trying to rationalize Putin’s decisions never was a wise thing to do as he often does irrational (or, at least, not very logical in the eyes of an observer) things.

What’s important is that even if it was an accident, which is possible albeit not very likely, they’re still fully responsible for it. Murderers.

harms

Staff
not sure about racism, but nationalist 100% and a fierce supporter of Russian Crimea. Then again, you don't become a relatively popular politician in Russia without a healthy dose of nationalistic populism.
Not a fierce supporter — in fact, in his later statements he said that Ukraine needs to get all of their land back (going by the 1991 border, so including Crimea).

He was a populist though, first and foremost. So, especially when he was still trying to compete with Putin in an actual political field — when he was still allowed to participate in elections etc. — he said a lot of shit. Including flirting with the far right.

harms

Staff
He had a fling with the far right early on, appearing on the so-called Russian marches and soouting some anti-immigrant bs (mostly about Caucasus & Central Asia). I’m not sure if he fully believed it or simply tried to get easy votes, but he had changed his rhetoric significantly in the past ~15 years. If he was allowed to become a part of a political establishment though, I’m pretty sure that he’d settle somewhere on the centrist-right.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I actually am.

They'd already basically killed him, why bother now?
Who says they killed him? He's been mistreated for years, he probably just finally succumbed to it all, was bound to happen at some point.

harms

Staff
Who says they killed him? He's been mistreated for years, he probably just finally succumbed to it all, was bound to happen at some point.
Going by their reaction alone (forcing the blood clot version even though you can't know if it's a blood clot before the autopsy), I'd say that killing is the more likely scenario.

frostbite

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world...cf769657c60b5283ad2958&pinned_post_type=share

Posted at 7:13

Chess champion Kasparov criticises Putin and West over Navalny death

Celebrated former world chess champion and strident Kremlin critic Garry Kasparov has posted a strongly worded series of posts on X about Alexei Navalny's death.

"Putin is Navalny's killer," he says, but also criticises Western governments for not taking a stronger stance against his treatment by the Kremlin.

"My rage and eternal scorn toward the Western politicians who treated Navalny's poisoning and jailing as just another negotiating point with Putin," he says, referencing his repeated imprisonment and his poisoning with Novichok in 2020.

"Big talk, no action, more blood on their hands."

Kasparov calls Navalny a fighter, and adds that Western politicians "should keep his name out of their mouths" unless they are willing to fight too.

frostbite

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world...cf9e4757478648da6f8db1&pinned_post_type=share

Posted at 9:44

'Make no mistake, Putin is responsible' - Biden

"I'm both not surprised and outraged at the news," he says.

Biden says he bravely stood up to violence of the Putin regime, for which he was incarcerated, poisoned - and none of that stopped him from standing up to the Kremlin, Biden says.

Biden laud's Navalny's bravery, saying he could have lived abroad in exile after he was poisoned in 2020 - but he didn't.

He was so many things Putin was not - he was brave, dedicated, and believed that a Russia for everybody was a Russia "worth fighting for".

"Make no mistake," Biden adds: "Putin is responsible for Navalny's death."

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
That's the thing, Everybody consider him a great man because he opposed Putin but who know who he really was. Maybe he would be as bad as Putin. Certainly in Ukraine he had a similar vision than him which says quite a lot

Maybe he was a great guy but i think it was more a case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend more than being a good person an a good option for Russia. We will never know

Godfather

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-68316979?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=65cf9e4757478648da6f8db1&'Make no mistake, Putin is responsible' - Biden&2024-02-16T17:44:22.663Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:2660b717-50a1-4ba8-8b1f-302fce16fb98&pinned_post_asset_id=65cf9e4757478648da6f8db1&pinned_post_type=share

Posted at 9:44

'Make no mistake, Putin is responsible' - Biden

"I'm both not surprised and outraged at the news," he says.

Biden says he bravely stood up to violence of the Putin regime, for which he was incarcerated, poisoned - and none of that stopped him from standing up to the Kremlin, Biden says.

Biden laud's Navalny's bravery, saying he could have lived abroad in exile after he was poisoned in 2020 - but he didn't.

He was so many things Putin was not - he was brave, dedicated, and believed that a Russia for everybody was a Russia "worth fighting for".

"Make no mistake," Biden adds: "Putin is responsible for Navalny's death."
Let's see what the 'devastating' consequences he mentioned three years ago will be.

Giggsyking

Who compared muslims to cockroaches. Yes it is him. But hey, he opposed Putin, so anything immoral he believes in or act on is irrelevant and not important.