Alexis Mac Allister | Moves to Liverpool for 35m according to Romano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welbeckham

Is he a bit underrated here or what? He’s a world cup winning 24-year-old CM, a workhorse with technical ability. I think he would be an upgrade on Eriksen/Sabitzer, but I might be wrong. He is more dynamic and has more bite than Frenkie, Tielemans or Neves.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Is he a cnut like say Bruno Is?

MadMike

Is he a bit underrated here or what? He’s a world cup winning 24-year-old CM, a workhorse with technical ability. I think he would be an upgrade on Eriksen/Sabitzer, but I might be wrong. He is more dynamic and has more bite than Frenkie, Tielemans or Neves.
Depends how high you rate him. Sounds like you rate him very highly. I find world cups are not the best opportunity to judge talent. It's a 4-week cup competition and it's about which team gels the quickest and gets the lucky breaks.

On Alexis, I think he's a pretty decent player closer to the Sabitzer mould. Hard working with decent tekkers. Not on Eriksen's technical level though and this is backed up by stats.

Same goes for his comparison to Frenkie. More bite, sure. But not on the same level in terms of passing or ball carrying.

Personally, so long as we have players like Fred and Sabitzer here, I think he's totally surplus. He's not a #6 like Case, not a #10 like Bruno and neither a midfield orchestrator like Eriksen or Frenkie. He would be an upgrade on McTominay and might be a good long term replacement for Fred. But Fred is playing well atm and Alexis would cost a bomb, so no thanks.

Last edited:

Crimson King

He's good but I honestly don't think he has another level. I'm not sure him winning the WC really changes that...there are plenty of players who have a WC winning medal I would never want/wanted us to sign. He's also nowhere near peak Eriksen, he's more of a technically adept Fred, if you had to compare him with one player in the squad.

He'd cost way too much for what you get. If you can sign Sabitzer for like £20m, depending on how he does for the rest of the season, then that would be the better deal. Tielemans on a free maybe on top of that...you have some pretty robust midfield options then, can spend the money elsewhere (strikers!) and take your time picking up a midfielder next time.

Also, I expect Mainoo to be involved more and more, eventually.

vodrake

That's kind of the point the way I see it. He's currently riding a massive hype wave because of the world cup. He's looked a good player for Brighton this season for sure, but nobody would be talking about British transfer fee records or comparing him favourably to the likes of Eriksen or Frenkie De Jong, players who have consistently been top level for multiple seasons, based on his actual performances for them. Very few people were even talking about him before the World cup, it was all Caicedo from that Brighton team. Spunking huge amounts of money on a player based on World Cup hype has historically been an incredibly risky thing to do, and it's not one that I think he's worth the risk for personally considering how much he would cost at the moment

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think he is massively underrated. If we turn Sabitzer's loan into a permanent move and get MacAllister in too, whilst shedding McT, DvB and with the knowledge that Eriksen will begin to slow down (and could end up as the sub after 65-70 mins) then with Casemiro the fitness freak he apparently is, we have a moster midfield set for the next 3-4 years.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Depends how high you rate him. Sounds like you rate him very highly. I find world cups are not the best opportunity to judge talent. It's a 4-week cup competition and it's about which team gels the quickest and gets the lucky breaks.

On Alexis, I think he's a pretty decent player closer to the Sabitzer mould. Hard working with decent tekkers. Not on Eriksen's technical level though and this is backed up by stats.

Same goes for his comparison to Frenkie. More bite, sure. But not on the same level in terms of passing or ball carrying.

Personally, so long as we have players like Fred and Sabitzer here, I think he's totally surplus. He's not a #6 like Case, not a #10 like Bruno and neither a midfield orchestrator like Eriksen or Frenkie. He would be an upgrade on McTominay and might be a good long term replacement for Fred. But Fred is playing well atm and Alexis would cost a bomb, so no thanks.
His FBref kind of shows him as a poor man's Fred when you compare them to each other. Fred is 29 and Mac Allister is 23 so as you say would be a long term replacement but it's not a 60-80m replacement at all. To Brighton, aye, but other clubs should be looking at a 40mish fee for that calibre of player.

MadMike

I think he is massively underrated. If we turn Sabitzer's loan into a permanent move and get MacAllister in too, whilst shedding McT, DvB and with the knowledge that Eriksen will begin to slow down (and could end up as the sub after 65-70 mins) then with Casemiro the fitness freak he apparently is, we have a moster midfield set for the next 3-4 years.
Sabitzer and MacAllister sounds totally pointless to me. Especially since Fred is still around. He cannot offer what Eriksen or Frenkie would offer. He's a workhorse, but he's got no significant playmaking ability.

His stats for attempted passes, progressive passes, assists, key passes and progressive carries are all distinctly average.

MadMike

His FBref kind of shows him as a poor man's Fred when you compare them to each other. Fred is 29 and Mac Allister is 23 so as you say would be a long term replacement but it's not a 60-80m replacement at all. To Brighton, aye, but other clubs should be looking at a 40mish fee for that calibre of player.
Fred is 30 in 5 days and Mac Allister is 24 already but other than that, I fully agree. He's worth a lot more to Brighton than he would be to us. Might be more useful to Klopp as he likes a grafting midfield. I'd personally prefer Sabitzer over him on the grounds that he would cost much less and have less risk of flopping since he's already a contributing member of the team.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Fred is 30 in 5 days and Mac Allister is 24 already but other than that, I fully agree. He's worth a lot more to Brighton than he would be to us. Might be more useful to Klopp as he likes a grafting midfield. I'd personally prefer Sabitzer over him on the grounds that he would cost much less and have less risk of flopping since he's already a contributing member of the team.
Ah, FBref hadn't updated his age! :D

Oranges038

Kleberson was a 24 year old world cup winning workhorse midfielder with technical ability.

MadMike

Kleberson was a 24 year old world cup winning workhorse midfielder with technical ability.
Feck, I wasn't ready for that comparison :lol:

But funny as that is, Alexis is already doing quite well in the EPL for Brighton. Not the same level of risk as bringing a player straight from South America, just on the basis of a world cup performance.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I don't think Brighton will ask for or expect £80M for him. Interested to know what the Brighton fan on here thinks.

My understanding is that similar to Dortmund, Brighton plan well ahead for their players. They know the rough cycle they like to hold on to a player if they are a success, and try and plan having their replacements ready for when that time comes. See Caceido for Bissouma for a good example.

I think they refuse to sell, or only for a massively inflated fee when clubs try and buy their players before they deem themselves ready.

I think there's an understanding that this summer is likely the time for Mac Allister to leave. He's gave decent service, signed a new deal and not given Brighton any issues. For that I think Brighton will be more reasonable in their fee they seek, perhaps around £60M would do it.

Welbeckham

Good one. Could have put the good old ”Premier League proven” in there, but we’ve seen how much that counts for in cases of Schneiderlin and, to lesser extent, Fellaini. It’s not easy to say whether a midfielder is a good fit for a certain team, but I have a good feeling about Mac Allister.

Oranges038

Good one. Could have put the good old ”Premier League proven” in there, but we’ve seen how much that counts for in cases of Schneiderlin and, to lesser extent, Fellaini. It’s not easy to say whether a midfielder is a good fit for a certain team, but I have a good feeling about Mac Allister.
He's a good player.

Don't think he suits the style ETH wants.

I think he's the perfect replacement for Henderson at Liverpool. He's got the legs to run and press all day, even more so if he goes there and they can find and resolve his asthma issues and he's good enough technically to play passes forward in quick transitions. Ideal player for a Klopp midfield.

avgp_1

I think he was very very good at the start of the season until the WC, where he obviously had couple of great games.

Post WC, he hasn't looked all that influential. Having to switch with Großß and play a bit advanced at times. Don't think it suits him, he looked better as an all action CM

MadMike

Nothing wrong with that. I don't think anyone here is arguing that he's not a good player, either. I just find the comparisons, or suggestions that he could be a better option to FDJ or Eriksen, to be quite unfortunate.

He's shown a lot of qualities, but he's fundamentally a very different type of midfielder. He's simply not a playmaker. He has 0 assists in 365 days for Brighton and he's only in the 5th decile for progressive passes, xA, attempted passes and progressive carries. Compared to Eriksen who is on the top decile for assists, xA and progressive passes. Or FDJ who is on the top decile for progressive passes, progressive carries and passes attempted.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sabitzer and MacAllister sounds totally pointless to me. Especially since Fred is still around. He cannot offer what Eriksen or Frenkie would offer. He's a workhorse, but he's got no significant playmaking ability.

His stats for attempted passes, progressive passes, assists, key passes and progressive carries are all distinctly average.
We need a squad of players. Having all 3 is what we need to compete in 4 comps and more on a regular basis.

MadMike

We need a squad of players. Having all 3 is what we need to compete in 4 comps and more on a regular basis.
We need a squad of different type of players as well. We don't need 3 workhorse CMs with very similar profile and qualities. Kinda like we don't need 12 CBs.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
While fair, is paying 60m+ for a squad player sensible? You would likely find another player to bring what Mac Allister does for half the price.

Nick7

I’d be very wary of spending anything on him this summer. This is his first season really playing as a centre mid full time. Could end up being just another untechnical #10 shoved into midfield in a solid team.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
It's a style of play comparison. Which is 100% accurate. Mac Allister is no better than Fred, and while he's better than McTominay, he wouldn't improve us in the slightest and would be a pointless squad member.
No. He is miles better than Fred at keeping and using the ball. its a pure lie to claim he'd be a pointless squad member

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Neves is excellent on the ball with both feet though. He's a reliable replacement for Eriksen, if not out right better. Rice is a lot more mobile but we cannot afford to spend on another DM of that caliber after Casemiro.
If we bag the kind of new owners we need. It wouldn't be a problem, to be fair. We'd be able to bag both a Neves and a Rice:D

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No. He is miles better than Fred at keeping and using the ball. its a pure lie to claim he'd be a pointless squad member
Very debatable, but also, he wouldn't be a pointless squad member if we had him but he'd be a pointless addition relative to us having Fred... Sabitzer... Mctominay right now. Even if he is better than McTominay (he is), but roughly similar to Sabitzer and Fred... what's the point. None are starters if Eriksen is fit. We can get Sabitzer for 10m if we want another box to box energetic squad player who doesn't provide any of the specialties that Ten Hag actually wants in a starting 11, but only likes off the bench. We have Fred next season in that role. We need a backup DM. We possibly need a starting CM ahead of Eriksen who can be a deep playmaker but also be press resistant. Mac Allister, Fred, Sabitzer, McTominay... none of them are that type. So in summary... would be an utterly pointless signing.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Neves is excellent on the ball with both feet though. He's a reliable replacement for Eriksen, if not out right better. Rice is a lot more mobile but we cannot afford to spend on another DM of that caliber after Casemiro.
Neves is nowhere near as good on the ball as Eriksen. It's not just about being able to hit a long ball. It's about knowing where to move, how to find spaces and how to progress the ball consistently with their passing. Ruben Neves is incredibly static on the ball, and isn't particularly progressive of a passer. He's a sideways passer or just hits long balls to the other flank pretty well, but that's it. Nowhere near the ability of Eriksen to play line breaking passes.

If a big club is signing a midfielder from Wolves, it is 100% Matheus Nunes. He's press resistant, can carry the ball really well through the lines, and can progress the ball better than Neves with his passing.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Football is all about taste. I like his game and he will show himself even better at a top club.
Laughable he is expected to make Maupay and Wellbeck prolific. Even SAF could not work that magic.

poleglass red

Very debatable, but also, he wouldn't be a pointless squad member if we had him but he'd be a pointless addition relative to us having Fred... Sabitzer... Mctominay right now. Even if he is better than McTominay (he is), but roughly similar to Sabitzer and Fred... what's the point. None are starters if Eriksen is fit. We can get Sabitzer for 10m if we want another box to box energetic squad player who doesn't provide any of the specialties that Ten Hag actually wants in a starting 11, but only likes off the bench. We have Fred next season in that role. We need a backup DM. We possibly need a starting CM ahead of Eriksen who can be a deep playmaker but also be press resistant. Mac Allister, Fred, Sabitzer, McTominay... none of them are that type. So in summary... would be an utterly pointless signing.
I'd say he'd cost around double that give or take

Abraxas

Good but not great is my feeling on him. He had a great final though, which may say something for him as a big club player with the right mindset to make a difference. But ability wise I don't see anything extraordinary.

Status
Not open for further replies.