Alexis Mac Allister | Moves to Liverpool for 35m according to Romano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

Glazer talk? What nonsense you rambling about? You know that even if Qatar buy us that we will have financial constraints because of FFP? But sure, let's go pay over the top for a player, especially when we have to spend big on a striker too. The mind boggles.
What financial constraints?

reddev3

Who fits our need better?
Caicedo by a mile, he could form a formidable partnership with Casemiro and just as easily step in for him when he gets suspended/injured.

They're both great but Mac allister seems more like a sabitzer type mid that is better further forward almost a number 10 whereas Caicedo can go box to box or even stay back and protect a back 4 if needed.

Devil81

I wanted both him and Trossard before Arsenal came in and snapped up Trossard for a bargain.

Look how that ended up, he's been fantastic, Macallister has shown he can mix it at the top level, he's a brilliant talent and also league proven.

I'm all for it.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
I have which is why I don’t see no problem in this deal.

So I want YOU to tell me why this can’t be done?
Well, in simple terms, the new FFP means that clubs can only spend a certain amount in relation their revenue. Currently we have a massive wage bill - making up most of our expenditure. No matter who takes over, that wage bill will still be there meaning there is a finite amount of money we can spend without breaking the rules.

zaafi

Well, in simple terms, the new FFP means that clubs can only spend a certain amount in relation their revenue. Currently we have a massive wage bill - making up most of our expenditure. No matter who takes over, that wage bill will still be there meaning there is a finite amount of money we can spend without breaking the rules.
If the new owners pay down that bill, which I believe they've said they will, then we can buy whoever we want and FFP will no longer prevent us from that.

Member 125398

If the new owners pay down that bill, which I believe they've said they will, then we can buy whoever we want and FFP will no longer prevent us from that.
The wage bill is balanced against income, got nothing to do with the owners unless you're suggesting they should use dodgy sponsorship to cook the books.

zaafi

The wage bill is balanced against income, got nothing to do with the owners unless you're suggesting they should use dodgy sponsorship to cook the books.
Hmm, maybe I was thinking of our debt. It surely can't be as straight-forward as this, though. If it was, then Osimhen would be impossible to get but credible journos are linking him and other expensive players to us.

Member 125398

Hmm, maybe I was thinking of our debt. It surely can't be as straight-forward as this, though. If it was, then Osimhen would be impossible to get but credible journos are linking him and other expensive players to us.
Happens every year :D The chances of us signing a striker are pretty high though. I'll defer to those who know more about ffp and finance to speculate on what's possible. I would think though that paying down any transfer debts would also count as an expenditure.

Dr. StrangeHate

It basically depends on what happens with City. If they get off on all charges, anyone buying us will absolutely do these dodgy deals to get in whomever we need.

Member 125398

It basically depends on what happens with City. If they get off on all charges, anyone buying us will absolutely do these dodgy deals to get in whomever we need.
A defining moment for the future of football if ever there was one.

Mainoldo

The credit facility will be paid off which they have already confirmed and wages are a lot less than two years ago added into the fact we will be in the champions league. But we always ensure are books constitute for this by adding Champions league clause in all of our contracts.

So I wouldn’t read too much into what you have read. We’ve already seen how transfers are facilitated by Chelsea believing they could tell some loop whole which every top club has exploited for years.

The credit facility is the most import point as that is what gives us the cash to buy these players. The rest is just book manipulation where you can spread the Cost of a transfer across the year of the contract whilst also knowing if you sell a few assets (best being that from the academy who hold no book value) you can use that to balance your outgoings as it is reported in 1 lump sum.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
The credit facility will be paid off which they have already confirmed and wages are a lot less than two years ago added into the fact we will be in the champions league. But we always ensure are books constitute for this by adding Champions league clause in all of our contracts.

So I wouldn’t read too much into what you have read. We’ve already seen how transfers are facilitated by Chelsea believing they could tell some loop whole which every top club has exploited for years.

The credit facility is the most import point as that is what gives us the cash to buy these players. The rest is just book manipulation where you can spread the Cost of a transfer across the year of the contract whilst also knowing if you sell a few assets (best being that from the academy who hold no book value) you can use that to balance your outgoings as it is reported in 1 lump sum.
Our wage bill will increase with a return to the Champions League too. The players took a pay cut for missing out this year but will return to higher wages next season should we qualify. FFP has more teeth now than in the past and I have heard they will be clamping down on transfers like Chelsea's. I guess the point is, that regardless of who owns us, there is no guarantee that we will have a massive transfer budget and as such we should be smart about who we sign. Which brings me back to the original point. If We need an elite striker, it makes no sense to me to spend 60 odd million on MacAllister when 20m would get Sabitzer - who I think is a quality player.

Perseus

One we should keep an eye on for the Eriksen role?

The plan is for Mac Allister to leave Brighton in the summer, to take a step forward. Several clubs asked in January, without going into depth, but in recent weeks some have returned to probe the possible purchase of the player. Liverpool is one of them.

Brighton have sold too many players and I expect they will buy more than they sell. MacALLISTER is still a bit of a novice although he learns quickly.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Brighton have sold too many players and I expect they will buy more than they sell. MacALLISTER is still a bit of a novice although he learns quickly.
What?

We lost Mwepu for health reasons. He is the only player that hasn’t been replaced with something equal or better. We sold Maupay (replaced by Ferguson), we sold Trossard (replaced by Mitoma), we sold Bissouma (replaced by Caicedo).

Brighton are trading up, which is why the club are the envy of so many.

I agree that we’ll buy more than we sell though; the entire model for our sustainability and eventually turning a profit is based around it.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Over at RAWK, some lad on their forum has cited “a Brighton supporting mate” who reliably informed him Alexis has a £50m release clause. Naturally, they’ve all jumped on this completely baseless rumour from a random forum user on the internet as being 100% true, despite all the evidence to the contrary. “Let’s just get him now, and get Caicedo for the same price”

I’ve seen this happen so many times.

I am a Brighton fan but try to be fair and objective in my views across all of sport, regardless of allegiance.

I have cited evidence (lots of it) as to why this cannot possibly be true, but it just takes one wag to make something up on a forum or Twitter and all the preceding pages worth of facts is undone immediately.

There is a real possibility Mac Allister or Caicedo move in the summer (unlikely to be both, without enormous financial incentive) but the fee is going to be huge.

Once again, Brighton don’t offer release clauses under Tony Bloom. They are never on the table.

tidraKS

Don't really like him to be honest. Doesn't seem to excel at anything in my eyes.

cyberman

Over at RAWK, some lad on their forum has cited “a Brighton supporting mate” who reliably informed him Alexis has a £50m release clause. Naturally, they’ve all jumped on this completely baseless rumour from a random forum user on the internet as being 100% true, despite all the evidence to the contrary. “Let’s just get him now, and get Caicedo for the same price”

I am a Brighton fan but try to be fair and objective in my views across all of sport, regardless of allegiance.

I have cited evidence (lots of it) as to why this cannot possibly be true, but it just takes one wag to make something up on a forum or Twitter and all the preceding pages worth of facts is undone immediately.

There is a real possibility Mac Allister or Caicedo move in the summer (unlikely to be both, without enormous financial incentive) but the fee is going to be huge.

Once again, Brighton don’t offer release clauses under Tony Bloom. They are never on the table.
But if Brighton are willing to sell then why would it be huge? I keep seeing this and I don’t understand it.
Fans keep framing the price as if it’s a hostile move, this is rumoured to be a move all parties are in agreement with. If it’s more than 60m I’ll be amazed.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

Dont you think it is a bit weird he signed than contract if he was planning to leave already this summer? I mean, must have thought about ending up a bit like Caicedo did?

Could it be wise, from Brightons view, to be very «fair» if they get a decent offer? Say £60-70 mill?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
But if Brighton are willing to sell then why would it be huge? I keep seeing this and I don’t understand it.
Fans keep framing the price as if it’s a hostile move, this is rumoured to be a move all parties are in agreement with. If it’s more than 60m I’ll be amazed.
I would not. People keep mentioning figures between £80-100 mill for Rice. Mac Allister is better. Proven in a system similar to how the best clubs want to play. Arsenal offered more than £60 mill for Caicedo. Cucurella went for £50 mill-ish.

I could easily see someone paying around £70 mill for him.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
I haven’t seen any evidence that Brighton are willing to sell, quite the opposite. Ignoring Twitter talk from clickbait “journalists” like Romano, every single public utterance from the club has been that they are extremely happy with Mac Allister, and the player is happy here too.

Now I am not naive, I know every player has ambition and a selling price, I do dispute though that the club is actively looking to sell.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Dont you think it is a bit weird he signed than contract if he was planning to leave already this summer? I mean, must have thought about ending up a bit like Caicedo did?

Could it be wise, from Brightons view, to be very «fair» if they get a decent offer? Say £60-70 mill?
I don’t think he was planning to leave this summer. The new contract was signed prior to the World Cup, along with Ferguson’s new contract. I have seen absolutely no evidence that this wasn’t a simple new contract, and hefty pay rise, as a reward for his excellent performances.

Nobody would have predicted that he would play a key part in Argentina winning the World Cup, it’s a happy surprise.

The club’s position - as always - will be to maintain that the player is not for sale. This gives our usual position of strength when negotiating the transfer fee. As with Cucurella, we didn’t ever “set a price”, Barber and Bloom just kept saying no until it was too good to decline.

I suspect an offer that’s “too good to decline” for Mac Allister will be considerably more than £60m.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
I would not. People keep mentioning figures between £80-100 mill for Rice. Mac Allister is better. Proven in a system similar to how the best clubs want to play. Arsenal offered more than £60 mill for Caicedo. Cucurella went for £50 mill-ish.

Cucurella went for £63m according to most press reports; Arsenal themselves confirmed they offered over £70m for Caicedo.

dinostar77

Don't really like him to be honest. Doesn't seem to excel at anything in my eyes.
Seems the wrong profile if your looking for an alternative to FDJ. Gravenberch or Kovacic seem the more likely alternatives. Dribbling ability to break a press etc.

cyberman

I haven’t seen any evidence that Brighton are willing to sell, quite the opposite. Ignoring Twitter talk from clickbait “journalists” like Romano, every single public utterance from the club has been that they are extremely happy with Mac Allister, and the player is happy here too.

Now I am not naive, I know every player has ambition and a selling price, I do dispute though that the club is actively looking to sell.
But if we believe the rumours then we have to believe all of it? Can’t really pick and choose.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

I wouldn't say mac Allister is better than Rice at all. They are very different, but there are loads of Mac Allisters, basically just attacking box to box players. Loads of them who are a good level but nothing more than squad player at a big club if we're honest. Rice is a DM with very good spatial awareness and is secure, but unambitious on the ball. But defensively he is excellent, and that is something that is hard to find properly.

croadyman

Seems the wrong profile if your looking for an alternative to FDJ. Gravenberch or Kovacic seem the more likely alternatives. Dribbling ability to break a press etc.
I hope we are planning on two midfield signings

Suedesi

Respectfully where do these Twitter sources pull this stuff from? I think I know, but it’s a bit rude.

The problem is it feeds into fans’ excitement (which is why they do it) but ultimately leads to upset when it’s all nonsense.

Of course the top clubs in the country are “monitoring” a World Cup winning centre midfielder of a “smaller” team. You don’t need to be ITK to state the obvious. You could substitute the name of three or four of our players into this, and hey presto, transfer rumour clickbait.

As for the fee, this is the kind of thing which breeds misinformation, leading to comments such as the one above. Now, some fans will have this arbitrary made-up fee of £61m stuck in their heads.

£90m for Ferguson and Mac Allister would of course be fantastic for you, but in reality it would be closer to to £90m each.
It wouldn't - we don't have unlimited funds and if those were the quoted priced, we'd look elsewhere.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
But if we believe the rumours then we have to believe all of it? Can’t really pick and choose.
I never said I believe any rumours, in fairness. And if I worded it badly, I apologise.

I think there’s a real possibility one of Caicedo or Mac Allister will move, as I said.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
It wouldn't - we don't have unlimited funds and if those were the quoted priced, we'd look elsewhere.
I don’t doubt this; I was saying £90m for those two particular players would not get the job done. I am positive of that.

croadyman

I never said I believe any rumours, in fairness. And if I worded it badly, I apologise.

I think there’s a real possibility one of Caicedo or Mac Allister will move, as I said.
Feel Caicedo fits us better

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Don't want Mac Allister at all. He's not bad, he's just nothing like what we need. We need cover for Casemiro who is young and can be eventual replacement (as in a young DM who has good spatial awareness, good positioning, and is talented... So Lavia). And then we need a partner for Casemiro who is a deep playmaker, someone who can receive the ball under pressure on the half turn, who is press resistant, and can make line breaking passes, can control the tempo of games. There aren't many of them, but to be an elite side, it is what you need.

Mac Allister would be along the lines of Fred and Sabitzer. They aren't the ideal fits for us, but good squad players. Unless all of Fred, McTominay and sabitzer are leaving, we just don't need more squad players in midfield apart from a Casemiro backup.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Feel Caicedo fits us better
I agree. I think Caicedo is a better player in my opinion, and would be a fantastic signing for you or any top side in world football. A double pivot with Casemiro would be the best central midfield pairing in world football - in my humble opinion.

croadyman

Don't want Mac Allister at all. He's not bad, he's just nothing like what we need. We need cover for Casemiro who is young and can be eventual replacement (as in a young DM who has good spatial awareness, good positioning, and is talented... So Lavia). And then we need a partner for Casemiro who is a deep playmaker, someone who can receive the ball under pressure on the half turn, who is press resistant, and can make line breaking passes, can control the tempo of games. There aren't many of them, but to be an elite side, it is what you need.
That's exactly what we need but have seen zero evidence of us looking to bring in cover for Casa which still leaves us with a problem

Crimson King

I wouldn't say mac Allister is better than Rice at all. They are very different, but there are loads of Mac Allisters, basically just attacking box to box players. Loads of them who are a good level but nothing more than squad player at a big club if we're honest. Rice is a DM with very good spatial awareness and is secure, but unambitious on the ball. But defensively he is excellent, and that is something that is hard to find properly.
Agree with this. Feel like neither of them are what we need but would both be good additions. I'd go for Rice too, as he's a player not as easy to find.

I feel like both of them are players who raise the floor of the squad, and not so much the ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.