Alexis Sanchez | Staying at Arsenal after City deal falls apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
This is a bit odd. Sanchez is obviously a fantastic player and will be a great signing but you'd have thought city would be after a centre back or defensive midfielder. Last season all the talk was about Sane-Sterling-Jesus going forward, what has happened between then and now that Pep has decided actually that isn't the way to go.
Don't worry mate, I'm sure they'll spend £300 million on centre backs next summer :lol:.

What an absolute joke of a club, led by the biggest managerial fraud of all time.

Pep Guardiola, the greatest manager in the world (when he has an open cheque book and a squad full of elite players).

Don't worry mate, I'm sure they'll spend £300 million on centre backs next summer :lol:.

What an absolute joke of a club, led by the biggest managerial fraud of all time.

Pep Guardiola, the greatest manager in the world (when he has an open cheque book and a squad full of elite players).
There's a good chance by the end of today he'll have spent over 500m quid since joining them last Summer... funnier still is that he joined following a Summer in which they spent 192m quid, the majority of it on 3 players that are essential in his squad (De Bruyne, Sterling, Otamendi). :eek:

Ludens the Red

Well the experts reckon they might have dished out £320m in transfer fees by the end of today as they want both Sanchez AND Evans.

Unlike @Successful, those numbers (£320,000,000) don't make me want to switch to the other side of town, they make me a little sick to my stomach about the "sport".
Says it all really, in terms of Pep's thoughts on the importance of centre halves. Open chequebook and the CB he's after is Johnny Evans.

The only reasonable explanation is Pep sees those players as long term projects and Sanchez to bring in instant impact. Essentially, City are running after instant success. But, hey, which club isn't?
I'm not even sure that is a reasonable explanation. Sterling and Sane are 22 and 21 respectively, they spent about 50 million a piece on them, they're not academy graduates, can only think it's a deal being done to hurt Arsenal. But then that doesn't even make any sense because Arsenal are no threat whatsoever:lol:

LoneStar

Pep is someone who needs the best in the world to succeed. His Barcelona team were absolutely dominant, but I can never imagine Pep winning anything with a club like Porto. The amount of money that City are spending is shocking, despite the fact that they already had a very strong squad. Even if they end up with Sanchez, I think they'll have the same problem i.e breaking teams down. I'm so happy that we got Jose instead of him.

Treble

There's a good chance by the end of today he'll have spent over 500m quid since joining them last Summer... funnier still is that he joined following a Summer in which they spent 192m quid, the majority of it on 3 players that are essential in his squad (De Bruyne, Sterling, Otamendi). :eek:
Both Manchester clubs have to spend HUGE money on players if they are to challenge Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern or even PSG.

Over the last 15 months United and City have spent 700 millions on new players. Yet only 4-5 players from both clubs combined would make Madrid's first XI and that may be generous. Apart from DDG no other player wold be an undisputable upgrade on what Madrid have. If the Manchester clubs want to be top 3 in the world, they have to throw a lot of money. It's as simple as that.

Besides, Guardiola has another reason to invest heavily in the squad: he inherited a squad that was past it: average keeper, old full backs, an injuriy prone captain, oldish DMs, ageing Silva and Aguero. Huge investments were needed to create a new squad capable of winning not only domestic tropheys.

Jose is in a similar situation. United have to spend big to close the gap with the other European giants.

Garethw

Is it just me that thinks that Sanchez is massively overrated?

Don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic player and I'd love for us to sign him, but I wouldn't class him as an elite level player.

You look at the Ronaldo's, Messi's, ibrahimovic's and Suarez's all hitting 40 plus goals a season for their clubs on a consistent basis and Sanchez hasn't even come close to having that much of an influence on any team he's played for.

Treble

Don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic player and I'd love for us to sign him, but I wouldn't class him as an elite level player.

You look at the Ronaldo's, Messi's, ibrahimovic's and Suarez's all hitting 40 plus goals a season for their clubs on a consistent basis and Sanchez hasn't even come close to having that much of an influence on any team he's played for.
Not a top 10 player in the world, IMO. But City need him as they have only 2 proven goalscorers in Aguero and Jesus. And Jesus isn't exactly proven. Young players could be very inconsistent.

Mainoldo

I actually think this deal won't get done and to be honest City can wait until January let him get match fit and buy him for half the current asking price. Not like they need him right now.

AXVnee7

Well Ibra and Suarez are strikers and even they haven't hit 40+ goals ever during their stay in the PL. To be honest 95% of players would struggle to replicate the stats that Messi and Ronaldo put out on a consistent basis. Even Neymar couldn't match them. Suarez did it for a season, but not consistently.

Sanchez is arguably at his peak now and last season got 30 in 52 appearances. That's an excellent return. It comes down to what you define as elite level - he's not on the level of Messi and Ronaldo and never has been but he is definitely in tier 2 and he's world class imho. He's carried Arsenal many times and Arsenal fans must shudder at the thought of where they'd be without him. Let's not forget he's also playing for Arsenal - not exactly a great team. Often the burden falls on to him to produce a moment of individual brilliance.

Bluppblupp

Reputable paper Sportbladet in Sweden are posting that he's done his medical in Manchester. Unfortunately I can't post links just yet :(

Last edited:

rampo

Says it all really, in terms of Pep's thoughts on the importance of centre halves. Open chequebook and the CB he's after is Johnny Evans.

I'm not even sure that is a reasonable explanation. Sterling and Sane are 22 and 21 respectively, they spent about 50 million a piece on them, they're not academy graduates, can only think it's a deal being done to hurt Arsenal. But then that doesn't even make any sense because Arsenal are no threat whatsoever:lol:
True that. But, as long as our rivals keep fighting with each other, I am happy. We can occasionally contribute with a transfer like Matic's :lol::lol:

rtr

I don't think he's overrated, I think he's awesome. You agree he's fantastic and that's usually enough for any team in the world to want him. The names you mentioned are just better. Sanchez being slightly worse is, at his level, irrelevant I think.

40's a big number, since his last season at Barca he's still pretty much been scoring like a striker without actually playing as one. Scored more than Ibra last season...

DannyDee

Comparing anyone to Messi or C. Ronaldo is just unfair, they are both in the greatest player of all-time discussion at this point.

No one consistently scores 30 goals in the EPL or hits 40 in all comps combined while playing in England outside of Ronaldo, Andy Cole (done in an era of more EPL games) and RVN. Great players like Henry, Suarez, Drogba, Shearer, Owen, RVP, Rooney, and Aguero have never done this, and most of those guys are the best #9's in the history of the league. It is just an unreasonable ask for anyone, let alone a guy who isn't always played as a #9. I think he is rated fairly. He's not in the Messi/Ronaldo tier and probably below Neymar but his performance dictates he be mentioned with elite wings/wide forwards/#10's such as Robben, Ribery, Dybala, Suarez, and Bale.

RC89

Ronaldo and Messi are freaks of nature. Ibra and Suarez are strikers so it's not exactly the same. It isn't fair to compare him to the latter two. Still, he's a fair bit better than Ibra I think. Hard to compare as they're different positions but if i was creating a new XI, Sanchez would be a lot closer to getting picked than Ibra.

Womp

idiot
The last day of the window will test Arsenal's bottle. If they sell Sanchez it's obvious their club has no intention of winning anything.

You don't say he's staying all summer and then sell your best player on the last day of the window to a domestic rival. Especially given their start and how on edge their fans are right now.

Garethw

I don't think he's overrated, I think he's awesome. You agree he's fantastic and that's usually enough for any team in the world to want him. The names you mentioned are just better. Sanchez being slightly worse is, at his level, irrelevant I think.

40's a big number, since his last season at Barca he's still pretty much been scoring like a striker without actually playing as one. Scored more than Ibra last season...
Ibra was injured for the last month of the season and was also 35 years old.

Garethw

Ronaldo and Messi are freaks of nature. Ibra and Suarez are strikers so it's not exactly the same. It isn't fair to compare him to the latter two. Still, he's a fair bit better than Ibra I think. Hard to compare as they're different positions but if i was creating a new XI, Sanchez would be a lot closer to getting picked than Ibra.
I would love for Sanchez to join us. I really would. I just think he gets massively overrated on here.

He's a top class player that will improve City no doubt, but he's not a massive improvement over Sane or Sterling.

Paul_Scholes18

The good thing is all pressure will be on City now. Sanchez is in my view the best player in the league. City will be skyhigh favorites to win the title right now. Although I can still see them blow it. They already have a great attack and haven't played well recently.

RC89

I would love for Sanchez to join us. I really would. I just think he gets massively overrated on here.

He's a top class player that will improve City no doubt, but he's not a massive improvement over Sane or Sterling.
Fair enough

Garethw

Looking at both squads, Arsenal will miss him more than City will benefit from signing him imo.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
Well the experts reckon they might have dished out £320m in transfer fees by the end of today as they want both Sanchez AND Evans.

Unlike @Successful, those numbers (£320,000,000) don't make me want to switch to the other side of town, they make me a little sick to my stomach about the "sport".
Ok, that comment maybe came out a bit wrong but it's also taken extreme proportions and now you even take it out of its context. To begin with I said ALMOST. There's a huge difference between doing it and almost doing it. Later on I go on explaining I'm devoted to the club for a long time and not even that kind of signing is making me leave. How some posters make it out that I'm jumping ship is just pure trolling. I suppose I need to be more careful with how I post in the future with all these weird members on board. Then again, as the forum grows the number of mental people will go up.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
shame United's start to the season hasn't turned his head towards the red half of Manchester.

Think he'd make a fine United player; always have.

WPMUFC

another SKY reporter at the emirates stadium just re-stated Arsenal will refuse all cash offers for Sanchez.

D4X73r

Both Manchester clubs have to spend HUGE money on players if they are to challenge Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern or even PSG.

Over the last 15 months United and City have spent 700 millions on new players. Yet only 4-5 players from both clubs combined would make Madrid's first XI and that may be generous. Apart from DDG no other player wold be an undisputable upgrade on what Madrid have. If the Manchester clubs want to be top 3 in the world, they have to throw a lot of money. It's as simple as that.

Besides, Guardiola has another reason to invest heavily in the squad: he inherited a squad that was past it: average keeper, old full backs, an injuriy prone captain, oldish DMs, ageing Silva and Aguero. Huge investments were needed to create a new squad capable of winning not only domestic tropheys.

Jose is in a similar situation. United have to spend big to close the gap with the other European giants.
yes, he needs to invest to get a good squad, but he isn't buying the right players. or how can anyone explain his investment in positions, he already invested last year? Why buy Ederson after buying Bravo the year before? same with his attacking wingers (Sane, Nolito) and now buying again? (Silva, Sanchez if he gets him today)
He isn't fixing a problem which was there already, except the FB position.. he is mainly fixing his self made problems here

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
It's going to be painful for Arsenal fans seeing Sanchez tear it up next season. In a team that isn't filled with dross and a better manager he may even kick on another level. I think this situation should serve as a punishment for the gooners who want to keep Wenger, surely this wouldn't happen at another big English club, one year left on all the contracts ffs. They need a change and Sanchez going will illustrate that this season.

Sparky10Legend

Don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic player and I'd love for us to sign him, but I wouldn't class him as an elite level player

Agree 100%

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
I'm not even close to painful if he will play for City. I will be very happy if he leaves Arsenal, but hoped that would happen much earlier in this window.

Sanchez already trained with Guardiola and Sanchez worst thing is his passing and Guardiola loves a good passing. Don't know if he will do that well, maybe as a striker.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
It's going to be painful for Arsenal fans seeing Sanchez tear it up next season. In a team that isn't filled with dross and a better manager he may even kick on another level. I think this situation should serve as a punishment for the gooners who want to keep Wenger, surely this wouldn't happen at another big English club, one year left on all the contracts ffs. They need a change and Sanchez going will illustrate that this season.
I very much doubt Sanchez is going to improve or have a better individual season at City than he did at Arsenal last year. At Arsenal he was the main man, he could take risks and hold on to the ball for as long as he wanted. That's not going to happen under Pep and his "philosophy".

Pace Abuser

I think a lot of people need to watch him at Barcelona to be reminded why the current Arsenal suits him over a team in which he's a side show. His game becomes average when he has to work for the team tactically and play a passing game.
He excels when he's playing the Roy of the Rovers role. Which is why he behaves dramatic at team losses and laughs at goals conceded. A toxic influence on the team who thinks he's the only one capable and it shows in his playing style. He's simply not an intelligent footballer and it is exposed in better teams. I wouldn't be surprised if the rumors of Messi bullying him are true. This is the Messi who went to a vending machine and came back with a can of coke to the dressing room while Pep was giving telling off about diet and had just banned fizzy drinks.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
I very much doubt Sanchez is going to improve or have a better individual season at City than he did at Arsenal last year. At Arsenal he was the main man, he could take risks and hold on to the ball for as long as he wanted. That's not going to happen under Pep and his "philosophy".
If they are spending £70 million or more on him we can assume he's going straight in to that first team, in which case I can see him putting up similar and maybe better numbers. Plus I know it's a cheap argument but he'll probably be their penalty taker as well whilst KDB on set pieces. How do you feel about all this pal? Judging by most Arsenal fans reaction they couldn't give a shit about Ox leaving but do you honestly feel this season can be salvaged without Sanchez?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think a lot of people need to watch him at Barcelona to be reminded why the current Arsenal suits him over a team in which he's a side show. His game becomes average when he has to work for the team tactically and play a passing game.
He excels when he's playing the Roy of the Rovers role. Which is why he behaves dramatic at team losses and laughs at goals conceded. A toxic influence on the team who thinks he's the only one capable and it shows in his playing style. He's simply not an intelligent footballer and it is exposed in better teams. I wouldn't be surprised if the rumors of Messi bullying him are true. This is the Messi who went to a vending machine and came back with a can of coke to the dressing room while Pep was giving telling off about diet and had just banned fizzy drinks.
It's incredible the number of times he passes the ball to an opponent.
It's funny, but I think we'd suit him more than City.

Obiorahking_

Yes he would most definitely be a big improvement over sane and sterling. I really like those two guys as much as anybody but Sanchez is basically the reason Arsenal have stated above a mid table club considering how awful their midfield and defense is

Obiorahking_

Last year Sanchez had 24 goals and 10 assists with 3224 minutes played. he has been Arsenals main man and has excelled at it. One thing Man City lacked last season was end product. Sanchez has bags of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.