Alisson Becker | Budding Target Man

Skills

Snitch
I never thought Reina was that good. He was certainly better than Mignolet and Karius, but he also benefited greatly from a far more organised defensive unit in front of him, and looked amazing having replaced Dudek. Alisson is easily a better keeper than Reina, although I'm not sure he's any less likely to make a twat of himself given his propensity to dwell on the ball a bit too long.
Same I never rated Reina too highly too. His face always gave the impression he was just guilty of a feck up.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
In terms of clean sheets and shot stopping its Oblak and Alisson, gets harder to analysis if you add distribution.
Clean sheets don't necessarily tell you much about a goalkeeper's quality though. The quality of the team overall comes into that. Oblak for example plays behind a far better defensive unit than De Gea does so you'd expect him to get more clean sheets.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Clean sheets don't necessarily tell you much about a goalkeeper's quality though. The quality of the team overall comes into that. Oblak for example plays behind a far better defensive unit than De Gea does so you'd expect him to get more clean sheets.
Oh I agree, but it still tells you a decent story that as a defensive unit they're keeping clean sheet after clean sheet. Therefore the keeper isn't making many daft mistakes causing goals.

Clean sheets are just as important as scoring goals imo and Alisson with two different teams is bossing it.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Alisson has been a great addition for Liverpool. He's miles better than anyone they've had in goals for a long time.

That save at the end though, that everyone is raving about, he came out and the ball was kicked straight at him, from point blank range. I cannot understand the talk around that. It was a poor, poor miss.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Reina was a good keeper, good enough for a top team, but he was never going to be in the discussions about being the best.

Alisson is a tier above.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Reina was a good keeper, good enough for a top team, but he was never going to be in the discussions about being the best.

Alisson is a tier above.
Yeah I'm not really sure why he's in the discussion here. Alisson is in that top bracket, which is something I don't think could ever be said about Reina.

Judas

Open to offers
I think any keeper that Liverpool have had in the last 5 years would have saved that chance right at the death last night. But the fuss that was made was so extreme. It was straight at him, I'm not sure how much he even knew about it, it was a terrible finish.

IRELANDUNITED

Why do Liverpool fans like to overrate everything? Last season Salah was the best player in the world. then he won the best goal of the year because of their fans, then they have the best trio in the attack and every media praised them like it was a replica of the MSN trio; then they have the best manager in the world, the best club,.... and today it's they have the best goalkeeper because he a routine save. This level of delusion is unbelievable.

Presumably because they have been starved of any real success for ages now. They've won 1 league cup in the past 12 years so Salah winning the best goal of last year was a small bit of comfort for them, poor sods.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Oh shit been said already sorry Robin :D
:lol::(

I don’t think a lot of people watch enough football to claim who’s the best keeper in the world tbh. If I had to say someone now I’d say De Gea but I don’t watch more than 10 games a season of Oblak or Neuer for example. It’s safe to say Alisson is in one of the, if not the top tier of goalkeepers at the moment, but statements like “best in the world” are just exaggerated at the moment imo.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I remember Krul winning player of the month after a Newcastle match were the opposition shot the ball straight onto his body about 5 times in one match. Now granted, he had a great game, but what's so impressive about failing to get out of the way of a shot from 2 yards out. Honestly, I couldn't have not saved that Milik attempt if I tried. You could've put Plank from Ed, Edd & Eddy on goal and he would've saved it.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
:lol::(

I don’t think a lot of people watch enough football to claim who’s the best keeper in the world tbh. If I had to say someone now I’d say De Gea but I don’t watch more than 10 games a season of Oblak or Neuer for example. It’s safe to say Alisson is in one of the, if not the top tier of goalkeepers at the moment, but statements like “best in the world” are just exaggerated at the moment imo.
I've not even watched 10 Utd games this year. Which is probably why I still have the will to live, tbh.

Mick321

We can't really whine about others over hyping goalies, we call a guy who can't really do anything outside of shot stopping "the best in the world". It's what fans do, not sure why it upsets people.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
It was a fine save but not spectacular at all. What was spectacular was the importance and timing of it.

That being said, Alisson has proven to be well worth the money. Adds a calmness to our defence we haven't had in years, is a great shot stopper and almost just as importantly he's brilliant at playing it out from the back which gives us an important tool in keeping possession when under pressure.

Orient Express

Supports
Leyton Orient
All this how can Alisson can't be better than De Gea because we've always said he's the best keeper in the world = both are nonsense.

Oblak is a freak of an athlete and goalkeeper and without doubt the best keeper in the world. Just because he doesn't play for a super team or won multiple major trophies or isn't playing on most of our screens doesn't take away from the fact he is without doubt the best in the world.

Alisson = bordering world class since his arrival to Liverpool.

De Gea = also world class but poor this season by his standards. Errors in the world cup and this season for man utd for which other keepers would have been ripped to shreds to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ban

Not just Liverpool fans saying it
It doesn't make it any more true. Great keeper but let's not go overboard. It's the same with Ederson last year, few good games and he was named the best in the world.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
He's the keeper on the best form at the moment, people have short memories and just call him the world's best.

That's what modern football fans are like nowadays unfortunately, look at the VVD thread he makes one mistake and suddenly he's labelled crap and overrated.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He's the keeper on the best form at the moment, people have short memories and just call him the world's best.

That's what modern football fans are like nowadays unfortunately, look at the VVD thread he makes one mistake and suddenly he's labelled crap and overrated.
Is he though? How many games of the other top keepers do you watch?

Oblak made a way more impressive save yesterday for example.

A-man

Alisson is very good goalie but compare him with De Gea it’s just nonsense. Almost every match the last 5 years De Gea makes tons of saves like Alisson did. I can put Alisson in the same bracket with Szczesny, Ederson, Lloris and Pickford.
It depends on what the team needs. A dominant team like Barcelona, Bayern or City need a goalie who contribute to the play. They would not benefit from someone like DDG. Liverpool probably also benefit more from Alison that they would from DDG. For United it has been cruical to have the best shotstopper.

aman92

Supports
Liverpool
He has literally everything in his locker. Apart from that Leicester brain fade which luckily didn't cost us points, he has been near flawless and made huge saves at big moments in big games against Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton and Napoli. Best keeper certainly in the PL at the moment.

the_irish123

This. He's not the best at anything, but he has the most complete locker I think. Not the best with his feet, aerial command or shot stopping, but he makes the top3 in each category imo. I don't think there is another keeper that is that well rounded. De Gea for example would get a 9.5/10 at shot stopping, but would be a 6.5/10 for feet work and physicality. I think Alisson is the only that is 8/10 in all aspects.

Minimalist

It's not hard to work out why they're rating him so highly when you remember who they had in nets previously.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

De Gea got half of page praise for this save.

Alisson got around 4 pages(not all were posts praising him admittedly) for one average save.

Manchester United forum.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

De Gea got half of page praise for this save.

Alisson got around 4 pages(not all were posts praising him admittedly) for one average save.

Manchester United forum.
The thing is that I genuinely expected De Gea to make that save. He regularly makes those kind of amazing saves, so it didn't feel all that special.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
The thing is that I genuinely expected De Gea to make that save. He regularly makes those kind of amazing saves, so it didn't feel all that special.
So you are saying that people don't expect Alisson to make average saves like that?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He has literally everything in his locker. Apart from that Leicester brain fade which luckily didn't cost us points, he has been near flawless and made huge saves at big moments in big games against Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton and Napoli. Best keeper certainly in the PL at the moment.
:lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He’s obviously decent but he’s not done anything to suggest he’s as incredible as scousers are making out yet.

Saw one on fb use the clean sheet stats to ‘prove’ it even though that has much more to do with a team keeping possession than it does with a keeper.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Anyone trying to say he is the best in the world, or premier league.

Stop. Just stop. I would still take DDG every single day of the week and twice on a sunday. Some of his saves have been routine, and the praise went through the roof. He also has a few clumsy moments in him.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
So you are saying that people don't expect Alisson to make average saves like that?
We're ecstatic if our keeper catches the ball such is our expectations of goalkeepers.

GiddyUp

Why do Liverpool fans like to overrate everything? Last season Salah was the best player in the world. then he won the best goal of the year because of their fans, then they have the best trio in the attack and every media praised them like it was a replica of the MSN trio; then they have the best manager in the world, the best club,.... and today it's they have the best goalkeeper because he a routine save. This level of delusion is unbelievable.
I was told they were the best team in the world one day before the Champions League final and still the best one day after.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
The difference between DDG & Alisson though is that De Gea is called upon more often to make such saves. Which probably explains why Liverpool fans are going a little bit OTT over our man's save last night. It's worth remembering though, the save was made at a time when a Napoli goal would have made it virtually impossible for us to hit back with 2 goals. Had that happened in the first 5 minutes I very much doubt anything would have been made of it regardless if we'd won or lost. So the timing of the save had a lot to do with the reaction, or should I say, perceived overreaction. If he'd turned his back on it & saved it with his arse you'd still get some Liverpool fans claim it as the save of the century.

Raven

:lol:

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Liverpool finally got themselves a decent keeper. Annoying that he’s arguably having a better season so far than De Gea. Not that De Gea is having a bad season per se, just not on the same level as he was a couple years ago.