Alisson Becker | Budding Target Man

kidbob

Wow, it’s almost, almost like the supposedly best keeper in the league didn’t make a howler last week. Like you can’t be a good keeper if you make a mistake. Wow.
Wow it's almost like being the keeper for a team that conceded 30+ shots today isn't as hard as being the one that conceded 4. Don't be an idiot. Liverpool for the first time in my lifetime is far superior than United but don't try and claim that your goalkeeper is superior to the guy who has single handedly saved us from even worse turmoil these last few years.

Also Allisson is without doubt better with his feet than De Gea (the only aspect he is better in) but would he look anywhere near as good, or Ederson for that matter, while getting the ball with his entire team in his half with only a donkey up front to target?

You guys have basically 10 positions to brag about at the moment so stop trying to elevate a very good keeper above one who has been one of the best for at least 5 years.

You should know that certain Liverpool keepers weren't that bad compared to what they had to face week by week. I would bet you anything that if Allisson had been in goal for United today and De Gea for Liverpool then the game ends at least 5-0 instead of 3-1. Allisson is great but no need to overrate him unless he's your partner which if so I understand.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Wow it's almost like being the keeper for a team that conceded 30+ shots today isn't as hard as being the one that conceded 4. Don't be an idiot. Liverpool for the first time in my lifetime is far superior than United but don't try and claim that your goalkeeper is superior to the guy who has single handedly saved us from even worse turmoil these last few years.

Also Allisson is without doubt better with his feet than De Gea (the only aspect he is better in) but would he look anywhere near as good, or Ederson for that matter, while getting the ball with his entire team in his half with only a donkey up front to target?

You guys have basically 10 positions to brag about at the moment so stop trying to elevate a very good keeper above one who has been one of the best for at least 5 years.

You should know that certain Liverpool keepers weren't that bad compared to what they had to face week by week. I would bet you anything that if Allisson had been in goal for United today and De Gea for Liverpool then the game ends at least 5-0 instead of 3-1. Allisson is great but no need to overrate him unless he's your partner which if so I understand.
I didn't claim that he's better than De Gea once and I don't elevate him above De Gea either.

The Caf, probably understandably being a United forum, is just collectively waiting for him to fail miserably but instead the opposite is happening, he's already proving to be a very good buy for us whatever the cost. He isn't the best goalkeeper in the league though, let alone in the world.

kidbob

I didn't claim that he's better than De Gea once and I don't elevate him above De Gea either.

The Caf, probably understandably being a United forum, is just collectively waiting for him to fail miserably but instead the opposite is happening, he's already proving to be a very good buy for us whatever the cost. He isn't the best goalkeeper in the league though, let alone in the world.
Ah my apologies then mate. I have heard the 'better than De Gea' thing a lot on multiple platforms lately and reacted to you because of that. He's a very good keeper and today' mistake could have happened to anyone. Also salty about today! :wenger: Dave is also our only hero from the last 5 years after being spoiled for 20 years previous, think Gerrard without the odd success so far :).

I think we might agree that he's better at being a keeper than United fans think but De Gea is better with his feet than United fans think too! :lol: To be honest a bit like Ederson he fits what you need right now but I would be a little worried against superior CL opposition, but that remains to be seen. Enjoy the win mate and Liverpool's superiority because I won'e begrudge it after years of our own.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Posting it twice doesn't make it any funnier.
It does to us since all the media and also the Liverpool fans kept repeating all this week that he's better than De Gea - in their dreams! :D

Giethewill

Supports
Liverpool
It does to us since all the media and also the Liverpool fans kept repeating all this week that he's better than De Gea - in their dreams! :D
Are we going to ignore De Gea's howlers this season and in the national team?

TheLiverBird

Who cares if he's not better than De Gea :lol:

All he has to be is good enough to be in a team competing for Titles and Cups, and he's certainly looking like he's good enough at this stage, happy days

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Clanged one in for the goal

And earlier beaten by an Ashley young free kick from the touchline too

Overrated
I'm still confused by why that Young goal didn't stand. I thought they'd changed the rule again so you actually had to touch the ball, or is swinging it for it still enough?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I'm still confused by why that Young goal didn't stand. I thought they'd changed the rule again so you actually had to touch the ball, or is swinging it for it still enough?
He was trying to touch the ball, hence involved with the play and influenced the movement of the keeper from an offside position. At least that's the rule in Belgium still, but I didn't notice any changes in England tbh.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
He was trying to touch the ball, hence involved with the play and influenced the movement of the keeper from an offside position. At least that's the rule in Belgium still, but I didn't notice any changes in England tbh.
I could have sworn that there was an incident recently where either a player had a goal disallowed because a teammate was flagged offside despite not touching the ball, and everyone kicked off, or a goal stood and everyone kicked off because they thought a teammate was offside despite not touching the ball, and it was revealed to have been the correct decision.

GNRfan

Supports
Liverpool
That mistake didn't dent his confidence, which was a big plus. Karius and Migs would have melted. Probably the second best keeper in the league.

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
I thought it was a risk for us to buy a young keeper like Kepa, but so far he's been really good for us. Not perfect, but very promising. Even though the fee was high for a keeper, we sold Courtois and bought Kepa, so really we didn't spend that much on Kepa. However, Alisson cost Liverpool a pretty penny and is two years old than Kepa and has had one good season for Roma by all accounts. Kepa on the other hand, was wanted by Real and had been a promising keeper for a couple years before we bought him. I am happy with our choice because we were linked to Alisson. Both keepers are very good keepers. I think the issue for Alisson at the moment may be that Klopp doesn't use the same ideals as Sarri and Pep with how they use their keepers.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I could have sworn that there was an incident recently where either a player had a goal disallowed because a teammate was flagged offside despite not touching the ball, and everyone kicked off, or a goal stood and everyone kicked off because they thought a teammate was offside despite not touching the ball, and it was revealed to have been the correct decision.
Mane had a goal ruled out for offside against Arsenal because he ran towards the ball in the first phase of play. Firmino was the one who had the shot which hit the post (at which point Mane was onside at the start of the second phase) but was ruled offside because of what was considered to be interfering with play during the initial phase.

If the above offside call was correct, Lukaku was correctly ruled offside yesterday. If Mane doesn't push him into an offside position then he doesn't go for the ball and it's a much easier ball for Alisson to judge.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Mane had a goal ruled out for offside against Arsenal because he ran towards the ball in the first phase of play. Firmino was the one who had the shot which hit the post (at which point Mane was onside at the start of the second phase) but was ruled offside because of what was considered to be interfering with play during the initial phase.

If the above offside call was correct, Lukaku was correctly ruled offside yesterday. If Mane doesn't push him into an offside position then he doesn't go for the ball and it's a much easier ball for Alisson to judge.
They definitely need to simplify this rule again.

Also, if Mane pushed Lukaku off the ball, is that not a foul?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

Yeah but Lukaku didn't milk it enough imo. If he'd gone over then Atkinson might've given something.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Yeah but Lukaku didn't milk it enough imo. If he'd gone over then Atkinson might've given something.
I didn't even know it had happened until you said then. I just thought he'd moved too early.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

It was a clear foul, shame Lukaku didn't roll on the pitch.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Is he marginally off before the push or is Firmino playing him on?
I don't think that actually matters, but the fact that neither he, or any other United player or fan appealed for anything meant we were never getting a decision with that.

I think Firmino's foot is playing him just on though.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Who cares if he's not better than De Gea :lol:

All he has to be is good enough to be in a team competing for Titles and Cups, and he's certainly looking like he's good enough at this stage, happy days
I used to watch him with Roma and he was prone to these silly mistakes - overpriced and overrated. :lol:

As regards titles and cups the Liverpool Trophy Cabinet has been empty these last three years since Flopp came around. :D

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Are we going to ignore De Gea's howlers this season and in the national team?
So are you saying that Alissspilll is better than De Gea ?!

And this just because the Napoli player shot directly at him in the final minute??!!

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
I thought it was a risk for us to buy a young keeper like Kepa, but so far he's been really good for us. Not perfect, but very promising. Even though the fee was high for a keeper, we sold Courtois and bought Kepa, so really we didn't spend that much on Kepa. However, Alisson cost Liverpool a pretty penny and is two years old than Kepa and has had one good season for Roma by all accounts. Kepa on the other hand, was wanted by Real and had been a promising keeper for a couple years before we bought him. I am happy with our choice because we were linked to Alisson. Both keepers are very good keepers. I think the issue for Alisson at the moment may be that Klopp doesn't use the same ideals as Sarri and Pep with how they use their keepers.
Guess Alisson and VVD were free for us as we sold Countinho then by that logic. Kepa is the most expensive keeper ever however you slice it. And he's cost you against Wolves and Spurs. Alisson has made mistakes too but as of yet hasn't cost us points. And we play out from the back which Alisson is very good at , which fits with Klopps ideals.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's a good thing that he made up for that terrible mistake with his distribution. He made two excellent passes in midfield after which his teammates returned the ball to him, which helped Liverpool a lot in scoring all 3 goals. I especially liked that pass when he chipped that no look pass for Lovren who then panicked and hoofed it to no one up front. It wasn't very effective but who cares, it was nice to see.

How many assists does he have so far? Him and Ederson I reckon are leading the assist table with the likes of Hazard and De Bruyne.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Fans have a habit of overrating their own players when they're doing well, and it's probably the case with Alisson. But he's doing very well for us. The improvement is there for all to see. The position has been a problem for so long, and now we finally have a good keeper. One of the best in PL. I feel it's been ages since we have had one of the best keepers around. Maybe Reina in his first years.

But claiming Alisson as the best in the world is over the top, granted. He has not made the 'impossible' saves yet. And he's had a few howlers. And most importantly, he has not been at the top level long enough. But he's young, and will probably get better in the coming years.

He's a massive improvement on what we had, and a weak spot for ages has been covered, so of course we're happy.

Tango80

Reminds me a bit of Karius in that there's a clanger in him every now and then.

I thought it was a little harsh that Liverpool did away with Karius so quickly - had one bad game in the CL Final, but other than that he did a lot better than was credited for. And he's still only a young keeper.

the_irish123

I thought it was a little harsh that Liverpool did away with Karius so quickly - had one bad game in the CL Final, but other than that he did a lot better than was credited for. And he's still only a young keeper.
It was not just a bad game. The dude had the worst performance of any goalkeeper I've seen in Pool's biggest game in 10 years.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

He was decent in the "I guess he can be alright for now" kind of way that makes you fear that Klopp will persevere with him because he basically hates goalkeepers.

Then Alisson came in and showed how vast the gap is between that and a top class keeper.

The Last Jedaiiii

Pinto was their second and he was terrible at everything :lol:. They did have Victor Valdes whose shot stopping was erratic, but had great distribution

Neuer and Ter Stegen have the same style, even the same strengths and weaknesses
Neuer is like a hybrid of Schmeichel and VDS
Ter Stegen reminds me more of Oliver Kahn than any other keeper although he has VDS' temperament

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

Alisson is far more assured than Karius, and the defenders are benefiting from the knock on with that. Alisson may have the potential to drop a clanger every now and then (although he's not cost them with any yet), but Karius was such a liability you'd half expect him to feck up every time he had to do something.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Please don't compare Alisson with Karius. Alisson makes mistakes, like everyone, but he's a great goalkeeper. Karius is a dude with great reflexes, very explosive, and fearless, who however doesn't actually know how to play goalkeeper. Karius technique is so poor that it's actually surprising everytime he doesn't make a howler on a powerful long distance shot

X0X Tan

Supports
Brasil

If it was a foul on pushing in the penalty box, I guess every game we have 10 penalties on each side when corner or free kick.

X0X Tan

Supports
Brasil

I guess you did not watch much Karius playing last season, he was totally shit. No way near Alisson level.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He wasn't shit, final aside. Just average.

An improvement on Mignolet.