Alisson Becker | Budding Target Man

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Why is he randomly baptizing Fred's missus?

twitter.com/Zizouology/status/1224231151960637440

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
Brazil is the second biggest Christian country in the world so I'm not surprised by the above post. About Alisson as a player, he instills confidence in Liverpool's back four and is a complete keeper. He's been worth every penny

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Performed two baptisms and conceded one goal in the past two months.

montpelier

I've now seen this guy make a couple of reasonable saves - recently. And he looks the part, but mainly its been about talking him up for the sake of talking him up. Allisson hasn't had much to do would be the real story.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I've now seen this guy make a couple of reasonable saves - recently. And he looks the part, but mainly its been about talking him up for the sake of talking him up. Allisson hasn't had much to do would be the real story.
Saved 35 of the last 37 shots on target. 95% save rate.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Saved 35 of the last 37 shots on target. 95% save rate.
What an awful stat! Says nothing about the quality of Alisson,
Thirty of them shots could have been standard routine saves, in which case it offers nowt.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Thirty of them shots could have been standard routine saves, in which case it offers nowt.

TheScriptwriter

Supports
Juventus
You should watch his matches from his time in Roma. He had more work to do and was even more impressive.

DRM

Brazil is the second biggest Christian country in the world so I'm not surprised by the above post. About Alisson as a player, he instills confidence in Liverpool's back four and is a complete keeper. He's been worth every penny
This.
Sure, VVD had an impact on pools defense but the addition of Alisson took that defense to another level! Superb signing by klopp.

izec

Top 3 in the world with Ter Stegen and Oblak. No debate. They are in the class of their own, they have a certain aura around them, where you feel it will be hard to score. Him and Ter Stegen are also ridiculous on the ball as well and super calm.

I remember when people tried to downplay the signing. His class was evident from his Roma days. Sometimes, you just know a great player when you see them, even in a often disappointing Roma side.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Him and Ter Stegen are also ridiculous on the ball as well and super calm.
Alisson is really good.

Ter Stegen is Pirlo

Don't put them in the same category :D

Storm Force

Supports
Liverpool
Alisson is really good.

Ter Stegen is Pirlo

Don't put them in the same category :D

Is this the ter Stegan who did not make s single save at anfield last year conceding four goals

padr81

Supports
Man City
We also shipped 7 past Alisson the year before.
I've probably told you before but you're a good poster. Even calling your own out on rubbish. Alisson though is the best keeper in the prem currently. If you had told me 2 years ago VVD and Allison for 150m or there abouts I'd have laughed my head off. Now they look a steal at those prices.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
What sets him apart is how complete he is. Oblak, Ederson, DdG, Ter Stegen have at least 1 decently big weakness in their game. For example Stegen and Oblak are 6'1 and cannot command the box as well, could get bullied in EPL. DdG can't distribute. Alisson may not be the best in any category but he is at least 8/10 in all of them.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Let's see replays of em. I bet 36 are straight at him. xG doesn't account for that as far as I know.
PSxG (post shot expected goals) does measure shot quality. And as you can see in the graph above, he's way out on his lonesome in that chart as well.

I do expect a fair amount of those shots to have been 'straight at him' anyway. But that's because I acknowledge positioning and closing down attackers as part of a good save, rather than putting it down to the attacker tamely shooting it 'straight at him'. If Alisson is at full stretch for a save, he's probably done something wrong in the moments leading up to it.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
What sets him apart is how complete he is. Oblak, Ederson, DdG, Ter Stegen have at least 1 decently big weakness in their game. For example Stegen and Oblak are 6'1 and cannot command the box as well, could get bullied in EPL. DdG can't distribute. Alisson may not be the best in any category but he is at least 8/10 in all of them.
Harsh on ter Stegen who I've rated as the best in the world for a couple of years now. Alisson is by far and away the (only one) closest to challenging him. Both great keepers.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The stats aren't supposed to replace what you see with your eyes, but add to them. No-one can remember the last 37 shots he's faced, so the numbers provide that broader, historical context. Everyone can see that he makes saves look routine because of excellent positioning, handling and (like de Gea a while back) presenting an aura that scares attackers into over-thinking things and taking that split second longer. So even if a measurement did exist for whether it was a routine save, it would also show an unrepresentative picture, because the nature of Alisson's game makes the saves less spectacular and more routine. VdS was the same.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
PSxG (post shot expected goals) does measure shot quality. And as you can see in the graph above, he's way out on his lonesome in that chart as well.

I do expect a fair amount of those shots to have been 'straight at him' anyway. But that's because I acknowledge positioning and closing down attackers as part of a good save, rather than putting it down to the attacker tamely shooting it 'straight at him'. If Alisson is at full stretch for a save, he's probably done something wrong in the moments leading up to it.
Not this positioning that's so good he never has to dive to make a save stuff again

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
Not this positioning that's so good he never has to dive to make a save stuff again
Erm, yea. What's wrong with it? Do you think strikers spent two years aiming at De Gea's legs or was he always in a great position to save with his feet as well as with his hands?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Erm, yea. What's wrong with it? Do you think strikers spent two years aiming at De Gea's legs or was he always in a great position to save with his feet as well as with his hands?
Are you ignoring the amount of unreal diving saves De Gea's made over the years? Guess he just has terrible positioning :rolleyes:

B20

Supports
Liverpool
It is exactly the kind of stuff statistics are actually trying to account for when measuring save quality.

But of course Alisson's saves are going to look different when he is nearly always away from his line except for long distance shots, as opposed to De Gea who prefers to stay rooted to his line.

Here is another one.

Which tells us that our defence is really really good. They keep the number of shots down better than anyone and quality of shots low as well.

And on top of that, Alisson still manages to be in top two in both major goalkeeping metrics (GSAA & PSxG). That Szczesny's stats are so high is perhaps to be expected from how many shots (and high quality shots), on target he has to face as these tend to favor improved goalkeeping stats.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
Are you ignoring the amount of unreal diving saves De Gea's made over the years? Guess he just has terrible positioning :rolleyes:
No. He has to trust his defenders to prevent some types of shots and headers. When they fail to, he has to pull off crazy saves. There's less of that in the current Liverpool defence. So the positions Alisson is taking up thinking that these are the best positions, actually turn out to be so.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
He's never had that great positioning in terms of how much of an area he covers or closes down. This is surely not news.

He obviously has fabulous reflexes.

I am not saying that makes De Gea inferior (though I think he hasn't been at the top for the past two seasons). It just means he uses different tools to get the job done.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It is exactly the kind of stuff statistics are actually trying to account for when measuring save quality.

But of course Alisson's saves are going to look different when he is nearly always away from his line except for long distance shots, as opposed to De Gea who prefers to stay rooted to his line.

Here is another one.

Which tells us that our defence is really really good. They keep the number of shots down better than anyone and quality of shots low as well.

And on top of that, Alisson still manages to be in top two in both major goalkeeping metrics (GSAA & PSxG). That Szczesny's stats are so high is perhaps to be expected from how many shots (and high quality shots), on target he has to face as these tend to favor improved goalkeeping stats.
Show me replays. Not arsed about meaningless numbers when we have television. I'll find some myself if I can be arsed later. I don't believe Alisson has come off his line for every shot though, or very many of them.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Show me replays. Not arsed about meaningless numbers when we have television. I'll find some myself if I can be arsed later. I don't believe Alisson has come off his line for every shot though, or very many of them.
Can't be arsed finding those, sorry. Same as listening to podcasts for me for learning stuff. I prefer a printed article.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Let's see replays of em. I bet 36 are straight at him. xG doesn't account for that as far as I know.
He moves so well. He makes saves Pickford would make look difficult look easy.

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Alisson was in the top ten last season of mistakes to goals, now he appears to be unstoppable, would part of that not be a more solid foundation at the back and the more resolute midfield that Liverpool have this season.
Expected goals really don't prove to much, as once again it could be down to the strikers not taking their chances rather than a class save.

Jonno

I remember Jens Lehman looking like the GOAT when he was in an unplayable Arsenal defence, I also remember Courtois being incredibly overrated because of Chelseas defence.

He gets incredibly nervy when people press, he has given the ball away quite a lot, kicked it out for a good few throwins, hes even been red-carded through stupididy.

Allison is a good keeper, but he's not as good as people are suggesting. I've seen a lot of routine saves, I've seen a few very good saves that most top keepers make. Take big Virg out of that defence and it would look very different.