Alisson Becker | Budding Target Man

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
,Love the quick switch from covid to hamstring!
Must be a minor hamstring issue to only be out for a week. Though I suppose a keeper at least doesn't have the same risk as a flying winger would have.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Irish lad Caoimihn Keheller played in Villa and Arsenal league cup last season. We also signed in the summer Brazil u-17's Marcelo Pituluga but probably too soon for him.
He’s Irish? I thought he was German!

DRM

He's fecking good isn't he? Without him Liverpool would be worse off than where they are now, made some key saves most noticeably 2 against United v Bruno and pogba. I was just watching the highlights against Burnley and once again he made some great saves.

Ps - I'm well aware he gave away the penalty :smirk:

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
He's fecking good isn't he? Without him Liverpool would be worse off than where they are now, made some key saves most noticeably 2 against United v Bruno and pogba. I was just watching the highlights against Burnley and once again he made some great saves.

Like all Brazilian goalkeepers who came before him they were/are all prone to stupid mistakes.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He's great. Not completely without the occasional mistake but it's night and day compared to our previous keepers.

He doesn't make spectacular saves but I think that's because his positioning is so good. He's always in the right position.

DRM

He's great. Not completely without the occasional mistake but it's night and day compared to our previous keepers.

He doesn't make spectacular saves but I think that's because his positioning is so good. He's always in the right position.
Agree on the positioning. He was critical to your 4-0 win v barca. Messi and Suarez had great chances and I think against most keepers, they would've scored but Alisson make those critical saves.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Was exactly the same with Courtois and people used it against him and made out he was overrated, was truly odd.

In my view a bit like how people say a defender making a last ditch tackle means they've already made a mistake, I feel similar with the majority of spectacular saves in that poor positioning is why they've needed to resort to such extremes in the first place.

Ekeke

Was exactly the same with Courtois and people used it against him and made out he was overrated, was truly odd.

In my view a bit like how people say a defender making a last ditch tackle means they've already made a mistake, I feel similar with the majority of spectacular saves in that poor positioning is why they've needed to resort to such extremes in the first place.
And that doesnt make sense.

If you're a defender who is great at making tackles, guess what - you want to make tackles. Because you're good at it. AWB for example will leave space for someone to take him on and put the ball past him, because he has 100% confidence that hes going to tackle his opponent.

Likewise if you are a truly great shot stopper like De Gea 2 or 3 years ago you are confident in your ability to react and make the save. Therefore your positioning is going to be different to someone who isnt able to make that kind of save. They need to take up a cautious position keeping in mind their reduced ability to move and save a shot, while DDG could take up one position to be ready for one thing and still give himself the chance he needs to move over and make the save if the move plays out differently.

Courtois did make some good saves as does Allison. Allison made a great save in the last game... The reason why DDG was considered better was because he made match winning saves that a lot of keepers wouldnt have been able to save. You can say they would be in a different position because they were being cautious like I explained above, but then the shot goes somewhere else... As if the attacker isnt going to shoot somewhere else if the space is there because Courtois is in a different position to DDG.

Tarrou

he'd have done well to get out the way of the two against United, both straight at him from point blank range

especially the Pogba one, it would have been basically impossible to not save it

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He is better than Ederson at the basics of goalkeeping whilst having the same influence being far outside of the post. It wasn't just the two saves against United, it was the other two balls he anticipated behind the line which would have led to goals.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
And that doesnt make sense.

If you're a defender who is great at making tackles, guess what - you want to make tackles. Because you're good at it. AWB for example will leave space for someone to take him on and put the ball past him, because he has 100% confidence that hes going to tackle his opponent.

Likewise if you are a truly great shot stopper like De Gea 2 or 3 years ago you are confident in your ability to react and make the save. Therefore your positioning is going to be different to someone who isnt able to make that kind of save. They need to take up a cautious position keeping in mind their reduced ability to move and save a shot, while DDG could take up one position to be ready for one thing and still give himself the chance he needs to move over and make the save if the move plays out differently.

Courtois did make some good saves as does Allison. Allison made a great save in the last game... The reason why DDG was considered better was because he made match winning saves that a lot of keepers wouldnt have been able to save. You can say they would be in a different position because they were being cautious like I explained above, but then the shot goes somewhere else... As if the attacker isnt going to shoot somewhere else if the space is there because Courtois is in a different position to DDG.
Exactly, "Defender already made a mistake of they have to make last ditch tackle" is nonsense, somehow people lapped it up.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Exactly, "Defender already made a mistake of they have to make last ditch tackle" is nonsense, somehow people lapped it up.
One of "those people who lapped it up" is arguably the greatest defender to ever play the game and his opinion is tackles full stop not just last ditch.

Also in the PL Gary Cahill has made more tackles (474) and last ditch tackles (18) than Rio Ferdinand did (292 and 10 respectively) and the former is 124 appearances behind the latter, yet I don't think even our version of Ty would claim Cahill was the better defender.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/2620/Gary-Cahill/stats
https://www.premierleague.com/players/1111/Rio-Ferdinand/stats

roonster09

Scout
One of "those people who lapped it up" is arguably the greatest defender to ever play the game and his opinion is tackles full stop not just last ditch.

Also in the PL Gary Cahill has made more tackles (474) and last ditch tackles (18) than Rio Ferdinand did (292 and 10 respectively) and the former is 124 appearances behind the latter, yet I don't think even our version of Ty would claim Cahill was the better defender.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/2620/Gary-Cahill/stats
https://www.premierleague.com/players/1111/Rio-Ferdinand/stats
No one said CB who makes more tackles is better than the CB who made less, it's that CB or defender who makes tackles or last ditch tackles already made mistake is nonsense.

Maldini was arguably the best sliding tackler ever, so he must be shit defender then, full of mistakes.

dal

There was a video going around a while back (massive), I couldn’t see his face too clearly, I now understand why.

Jonno

Unpopular opinion.

I think he's been shielded very well for a couple of years. I've always thought he was a good level goalkeeper, but the best in the world as some scousers claim? Based on what? Being largely untested? Whenever tested, an error is never far away.

I remember probably 10-15 unforced mistakes in his Liverpool time, that would get brushed off because they'd win the games.

I remember about 2-3 weeks ago he anticipated rushing out of his box wrong, got nutmegged and the striker had a weak shot cleared off the line from a defender, Allison jogging back. He also came for something in the first half against Burnley this week, missed it, was out of his box and he luckily blocked the shot. Then there was the mistake that handed Burnley their win. He got sent off last season for mis-judging something.

I'm not saying he's a bad goalkeeper, he's a good level and better than they've had, but I wouldn't call him the best by a long stretch. I'm never wowed, its more routine saves and things he should be doing, mixed in with some rush of blood moments.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Unpopular opinion.

I think he's been shielded very well for a couple of years. I've always thought he was a good level goalkeeper, but the best in the world as some scousers claim? Based on what? Being largely untested? Whenever tested, an error is never far away.

I remember probably 10-15 unforced mistakes in his Liverpool time, that would get brushed off because they'd win the games.

I remember about 2-3 weeks ago he anticipated rushing out of his box wrong, got nutmegged and the striker had a weak shot cleared off the line from a defender, Allison jogging back. He also came for something in the first half against Burnley this week, missed it, was out of his box and he luckily blocked the shot. Then there was the mistake that handed Burnley their win. He got sent off last season for mis-judging something.

I'm not saying he's a bad goalkeeper, he's a good level and better than they've had, but I wouldn't call him the best by a long stretch. I'm never wowed, its more routine saves and things he should be doing, mixed in with some rush of blood moments.
Agree, there’s not a keeper playing the premier league today who is anywhere near the De Gea we had for 4-5 seasons. De Gea was making truly ridiculous saves game after game.

Giggs86

Arrogant cnut. The Brazilian Neuer. Can't wait for someone to properly embarrass him when he's 25 yards away from goal going for a dribble.

F1D

Amateur from him not to defend his angle for the freekick.

SAFMUTD

I do think he's top 3, behind Oblak and Ter Stegen. He's really good to be honest.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
No one said CB who makes more tackles is better than the CB who made less, it's that CB or defender who makes tackles or last ditch tackles already made mistake is nonsense.

Maldini was arguably the best sliding tackler ever, so he must be shit defender then, full of mistakes.
Yeh. Baresi, Maldini, and all those italian hard fecker CBs made tackles left and right. People could do worse than watching that classic Italy vs Brazil world cup Final. Do people think Baresi is this flamboyan ball-playing CB who see making tackles as a sin? :lol:

Threesus

I have always had my doubts about this guy, and have never believed that he is as good as Liverpool fans hyped him up to be. A big step up from Karius and Mignolet no doubt, but I don't know about the best keeper in the world.
Out of all the keepers playing currently, I am most surprised by Szczęsny of Juventus. I never really rated him when he was at Arsenal, but he has turned his career around.

roonster09

Scout
Yeh. Baresi, Maldini, and all those italian hard fecker CBs made tackles left and right. People could do worse than watching that classic Italy vs Brazil world cup Final. Do people think Baresi is this flamboyan ball-playing CB who see making tackles as a sin? :lol:
Exactly. Not sure in which context Maldini said that but people just abuse that quote.

dal

Two mistakes in his last two games which have cost Liverpool. I do believe he could have dealt with the Burnley one a lot better.

Saying this though, I’ve always thought it’s between DeGea and Allison for the best in the league, I don’t think there’s a clear winner.

One to watch is nick pope.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I do think he's top 3, behind Oblak and Ter Stegen. He's really good to be honest.
He's not even top 3 in the Prem. Lloris, Martinez and Pope have all had terrific seasons and De Gea has been pretty good too.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Always been massively overrated. He’s just been a lot more solid than the laughable keeper he followed, and the turd one that replaces him when he doesn’t play. He’s rarely been tested in his time at Liverpool.

Whenever you bring that up apparently it’s because his positioning is so incredible it means he’ll never have to make a cracking save, which is frankly impossible. The one save they point to was that bang average one in the CL. Dave does those every other match. Oh and now the one from Pogba that was straight at him.

His movement for Bruno’s freekick was what cost him.