All English CL and Europa League finals

el3mel

It's amazing how much English teams have to play for really:

City - Are on course to achieve the first domestic Treble in England.

Liverpool - Could win a Premier League & Champions League Double.

Chelsea - Could win the Europa League and are guaranteed Champions League Football.

Spurs - Could win their first ever Champions League, pretty much guarenteed to be in the competition next year.

Arsenal - if they win the Europa League they can also get into the Champions League.

United - We have the chance to finish 5th...

If you didn't laugh, you'd cry.
:lol:

Black comedy.

Claude Cat

Supports
Liverpool
How can United fans be miserable at being in the Europa League while congratulating Chelsea and Arsenal for making the final? It’s the same competition :confused:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
You must feel a terrible envy. I at least could not stand it.
Days and days talking about the damn finals. Time to take refuge in the twitter thread and dream with any rumor.

Canagel

It's amazing how much English teams have to play for really:

City - Are on course to achieve the first domestic Treble in England.

Liverpool - Could win a Premier League & Champions League Double.

Chelsea - Could win the Europa League and are guaranteed Champions League Football.

Spurs - Could win their first ever Champions League, pretty much guarenteed to be in the competition next year.

Arsenal - if they win the Europa League they can also get into the Champions League.

United - We have the chance to finish 5th...

If you didn't laugh, you'd cry.
Meanwhile our POTY awards has just been taken by defender in the worst defensive campaign of our PL history..

Norfolk Enchants

Well let's try to take some positives from this, at least 2 teams will also be trophyless like us at the end of it all.

starman

The irony of this whole week(being a United fan) is a similar feeling to when England gets knocked out of a European or World Cup and you try and enjoy the rest of the tournament..

deafepl

Anyone realize this is not great for UEFA if it continues like that. Imagine 4 finalists from PL annually in the next few years before PL's new TV deal in 2022, PL's broadcasting revenue would be skyrocketing, especially due to foreign TV deals, it'll give English team a chance below EPL top 6 team to afford top players.

More PL does better in Europe, more people will watch PL, more money mid/bottom PL team will receive from sponsorship and new TV deals if PL does so well in Europe.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Nauseated thinking about it. Fecking Frankfurt losing it on penalties. Urgh.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
What the PL has done to the Bundesliga in particular shouldn't even be legal. Every one of their sides has been stopped by an English team.

Stop, stop it's already dead! :lol:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
What the PL has done to the Bundesliga in particular shouldn't even be legal. Every one of their sides has been stopped by an English team.

And none by even United that I would actually be happy about it.

Gone are the days of Bayern smashing English teams :(

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
And none by even United that I would actually be happy about it.

Gone are the days of Bayern smashing English teams :(
Ah it's a cyclical thing, I think England will have it's time for a few years and then gradually decline for a while again.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
How can United fans be miserable at being in the Europa League while congratulating Chelsea and Arsenal for making the final? It’s the same competition :confused:
The final gives you a chance for CL and trophy. You have to get to the final....! It's a long slog, so whilst it's not ideal, it's a great result.

Naturally if we win it next year it'll be great as well.

I'd probably go as far as to say winning Europa League is better than getting to quarters and maybe even semi of the CL. I'm not sure what the money side would say, but winning trophies endures. Cup runs are easily forgotten.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Meanwhile, the only English sides knocked out of Europe by non-English teams were United and Burnley. :(

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
Ah it's a cyclical thing, I think England will have it's time for a few years and then gradually decline for a while again.
I think it's more of a money thing. Basically every English club that makes the champions league is earning more than most other teams in the tournament, now that theres some decent managers in the mix as well, I don't think it'll be an uncommon sight to see English teams getting further more consistently.

diarm

Imagine last year someone told you there would be four English sides in the two European finals but none of them would be from Manchester!

Also, surely Wolves have to become the first team in history to have beaten all four European finalists in the same year. From 7th.

Gazza

Anyone realize this is not great for UEFA if it continues like that. Imagine 4 finalists from PL annually in the next few years before PL's new TV deal in 2022, PL's broadcasting revenue would be skyrocketing, especially due to foreign TV deals, it'll give English team a chance below EPL top 6 team to afford top players.

More PL does better in Europe, more people will watch PL, more money mid/bottom PL team will receive from sponsorship and new TV deals if PL does so well in Europe.
I see that point but does it make a big difference either way ? The PL is out of control at this point in terms of revenues and the gap with other leagues is only going to get more pronounced regardless of how the teams do in European play, really. Premier League is just a huge attraction for viewers and casual spectators by now, can’t be stopped imo.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

PL has been top money wise for years. Hasn't mattered until this year.

Nickosaur

I know we, as fans of the PL, should be proud of the achievement. 4 English teams in the European finals. Its mad. But when none of those 4 are United, it really hits home how inadequate we are as a club right now. We are a big name, and yet we do not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the others right now.

Anyway - hoping spurs win the CL and Chelsea win the EL. Any liverpool trophies will ensure a miserable summer.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I know we, as fans of the PL, should be proud of the achievement. 4 English teams in the European finals. Its mad. But when none of those 4 are United, it really hits home how inadequate we are as a club right now. We are a big name, and yet we do not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the others right now.

Anyway - hoping spurs win the CL and Chelsea win the EL. Any liverpool trophies will ensure a miserable summer.
Why the feck should we be?

Kharhaz

Supports
Liverpool
Anyway, it has to be mentioned, since the press is already echoing it: not a single english manager in the Top6 and the UCL/EL finals.
Alex Ferguson.

At least he is at least british eh?

Nickosaur

:lol: it does seem to get parroted around the workplace. And in various news outlets. But for me, I've always wanted English clubs to do worse than United.

Why should we go from laughing at a teams performances in the league (especially spurs, arse, chelsea) then laud them in the European competitions??

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool

Should be proud. Hoping Arsenal take the EL as it would ensure CL qualification for the Big Five. Would give it to Spurs if we were guaranteed the league but that’s not going to happen so Big Ears it is then.

Theonas

Scout
Obviously it doesn't apply to us now but I suppose the argument is that it gives winning your league more credibility? Our 3 league titles between 2007 and 2009 are more indicative of top quality than in 2013 for example because it was at a time where the competition was far stronger and the only valid barometer for that was how said competition fared against the rest of the continent. I don't think the PL had a single great team from 2010 until 2018. All that was needed was to be better than a mediocre bunch as it was exposed in Europe.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I think it's more of a money thing. Basically every English club that makes the champions league is earning more than most other teams in the tournament, now that theres some decent managers in the mix as well, I don't think it'll be an uncommon sight to see English teams getting further more consistently.
The money thing has been going on for decades now, I don't think it has anything to do with how English teams perform. During the period of 2012-2017 English teams were also making more money than their European counterparts but went through their worst people in the UCL and Europa League.

What has made a bigger difference to me is luck for one, Spurs needed Inter to not win at home against PSV while Chelsea needed penalties to beat Frankfurt, but more than that are the managers, which are of higher quality than before. City have Pep compared to Mancini/Pelligrini, Liverpool have Klopp, Spurs have Pochettino. These are the top 3 managers in the world for me and their impact on the team is showing through their success.

For the future, I actually doubt whether all English teams will be able to dominate. I think we'l see a similar situation to the La Liga where Barca and Real dominated domestically and in Europe; right now both Liverpool and City are head and shoulders above their domestic competition while also being amongst the best in Europe. The issue is with Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and United.

- Chelsea are going to lose Hazard and the transfer ban means they won't be able to upgrade their squad, which has a big hole in the striker position. Therefore next year will be very tough for them because I don't think they can compete at the highest level with their current squad ( minus Hazard, plus Pulisic).

- Spurs look likely to lose Kane and Eriksen in the summer. I know that is said every transfer window but with Madrid looking likely to invest heavily in their squad, those two names maybe front on their list. Poch might stay but I think their squad will suffer a dip or they will have to sign many players and it may take them time to gel.

- Arsenal are in disarray with regards to their squad quality and the lack of investment coming in from Kronke. It is being said that Emery will only have 40 MP to invest and that surely will not be enough for them to compete in the Champions League.

With this, as will see Barca, Real and Bayern invest heavily to improve their squads so we can expect their performances to improve come next season. Liverpool and City though I still think will be in the latter stages of the UCL for the next few seasons.

bushyboy

:lol: it does seem to get parroted around the workplace. And in various news outlets. But for me, I've always wanted English clubs to do worse than United.

Why should we go from laughing at a teams performances in the league (especially spurs, arse, chelsea) then laud them in the European competitions??
Me too but in this instance I won't begrudge Spurs and Arsenal winning it

Pardon my ignorance but if Arsenal don’t win the Europa league and we finish 5th in the league, do we go into the champions league?
No.

If that was the case it'd have been mentioned more than once or twice on here and in the media :)

• If the UEFA Champions League holders have qualified for the group stage via their domestic championship, the vacancy will be filled by the champions of the association ranked 11th (Czech Republic), who otherwise compete in the champions path
  • If the UEFA Europa League holders have qualified for the group stage via their domestic championship, the vacancy will be filled by the third-placed club from the association ranked fifth (France), who otherwise compete in the league path

Last edited:

saivet

Pardon my ignorance but if Arsenal don’t win the Europa league and we finish 5th in the league, do we go into the champions league?
Nope. We won't be in the CL next season regardless of what happens.