All-Ireland Championships '09

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Stupid - Presenting a trophy on the Pitch - Fans will never let it happen

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
great achievement for the Kilkenny lads. they could do 5 in a row. their U-21s and minors won last year too so there's still those lads coming up. it's possible that they could dominate for another few years yet but a lot depends on Cody too. you'll have to agree he has the fire in his belly.

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Roy Keane has five kids, partly because of his Iri
You realise they have just equalled the record of the mighty Cork team of the 40's ? apart from supporting the underdog, that was another reason I didn't want them to win it. They got lucky today though, only great keeping (not luck) and dubious refereeing (luck) stopped Tipp who were the better side until getting a man sent off. Within seconds of the sending off, KK put a point over the bar from the free and you could see the fight return in the side again from what looked like a losing team. Saying that, it was a sending off, but the penalty that put them in front was highly dubious as were a number of cheap frees they were given throughout the game. The better side on the day lost.

I also have a natural sympathy for people who are sent off for retaliation, he only smacked the KK man with his hurley because he'd had his helmet pushed over his eyes, had three men on him and caught a clip from one of them. A lot of Kilkenny's rough-housing went unpunished today, when Tipp tried it they were penalised straight away. Same as Beckham was sent off in the 98 WC because Simeone fouled him, same as Rooney stamped on Carvalho's bollocks because Carvalho had just got away with two fouls on him. I know retaliation is a straight red but personally I always have a bit of sympathy for it. If the cnuts didn't get away with fouling you in the first place you wouldn't retaliate, simple as that really.

I know KK are a great hurling side I've been watching DJ Carey and Henry Sheflin for years and they have been head and shoulders above anyone the last four years but Tipp were better than them today, I wouldn't be so sure about 5 in a row.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
story in the Examiner today.

"WE own the fastest and most spectacular ball game in the world in the code of hurling.

It is Celtic, passionate, skilful, beautiful to the eye and the sporting mind. It demands courage, manliness, a whole range of the most subtle arts, both in the air and on the ground. It demands lightning reflexes, superb fitness, pace power and purpose.

At its very best it demands an almost sublime commitment, an alchemic fusing of man and wood and leather, brain and brawn, body and mind. Up there, when the ash clashes in combat, these young men with the eyes of eagles, filled with fire to the point of a controlled ferocity, etch sporting images which are unique to that surreal and elastic thing which we call our culture. There are no brighter or more compelling images than those in our sporting cabinet.

When an All-Ireland final is competitive and played at the highest level of skill then the whole pulsating spectacle becomes akin to an additional Irish sacrament. So it was on Sunday. The ghost of Cuchulainn was the happiest of all in the gallery of the ancient gods. Hurling was the winner by the time the long whistle shrilled to define the victors and the vanquished after an epic struggle.

We need sporting heroes more than we need bishops or barons. We need them almost as much as we do our daily bread. They embellish all codes and embody the best elements of them. And, remarkably enough in codes involving teams, it is normally just one gifted individual who emerges as the star to be remembered. ......."

Read more: Hurling heroes adorn a final epic | Irish Examiner

Crerand Legend

Congrats to PJ on the Loups fine victory over the highly fancied Bellaghy today,bit of boxing at the end I hear.Good luck in the final.I am sure you are aware that we play in the intermediate final the day before so hopefully we both have a big weekend

Dave89

Thanks CL, two huge upsets in the semis, would have got a good price on a loup-dungiven final before yesterday! Didn't make the match myself due to work, but a bit of boxing wouldn't surprise with our lads! Hope you do well in the final. Pity it couldn't be a double header.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
I am now worried about RHD,he has not been seen or heard of since the demise of Tyrone
Funny fecker ya CL :)

Whats the craic mate, how you keeping me oul Derry mucker?

Reason for my absence has been a combination of being flat out at work & been off on Annual Leave. Had to get my act together & not be distracted by the Caf. God knows how much time I've spent on here when I should have been working, so I had to wise up a small bit & keep the head down before someone cops on!

Anyway, congratulations to Cork, they played very well & there's no shame in getting beat by an energic, passionate & skillful team such as the one that we've been witnessing for much of the year. Good luck in the final & do yourselves proud :cool:

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Great result for Cork. Hope they beat Kerry in the Final as I would hate to be cheering Meath on against them....

Tyrone did not look themselves. Would not be surprised if more then Cavanagh had a bug. Brian Dooher was just lost for turn of pace all day. Even Ryan McMenamin did not look his hungry self.

Really fecking delighted for Cork and have my good mate Pearse O'Neill staring as well.
Alright Baz, yeah from what I hear there was quite a few that were sick, bad timing but feck it. Wish we had sneaked a draw & gave them a proper game in the replay.

Cavanagh was a massive loss & even when he came on, he didnt really seem able to run. Pretty disappointed as that was not the real Tyrone. We'll be back & even more determined & with new blood on the Red Hand!

The funny thing is, after United failed to retain the Champions League for the first time, I feckin knew Tyrone wouldn't do it with Sam either, i just had that gut feeling. It just goes to show how difficult it is to win a major football prize back to back in the modern era!

Ah well, it wasnt to be but best of luck to Cork & Kerry on Sunday!

Crerand Legend

Funny fecker ya CL :)

Whats the craic mate, how you keeping me oul Derry mucker?

Reason for my absence has been a combination of being flat out at work & been off on Annual Leave. Had to get my act together & not be distracted by the Caf. God knows how much time I've spent on here when I should have been working, so I had to wise up a small bit & keep the head down before someone cops on!

Anyway, congratulations to Cork, they played very well & there's no shame in getting beat by an energic, passionate & skillful team such as the one that we've been witnessing for much of the year. Good luck in the final & do yourselves proud :cool:
Gee glad to see you are back beginning to think we had seen the last of you.Agree with you about Cork,they were excellent and would have beaten anybody on the day and hope they find a similar performance on Sunday unlike yourself who no doubt for the sake of the love of your good lady, will be shouting for Kerry,anyhow may the best team win.Missing the all Ireland this year in favour of a trip to Manchester for the Derby ,hopefully I will be able to catch it on TV over there.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Gee glad to see you are back beginning to think we had seen the last of you.Agree with you about Cork,they were excellent and would have beaten anybody on the day and hope they find a similar performance on Sunday unlike yourself who no doubt for the sake of the love of your good lady, will be shouting for Kerry,anyhow may the best team win.Missing the all Ireland this year in favour of a trip to Manchester for the Derby ,hopefully I will be able to catch it on TV over there.
Thanks man. As much as I love the Caf, I just needed to get the head down & avoid distractions here in work. Very easy to end the day with not alot of work done, somewhere along the line it would of came back to haunt me & with the job security situation being an uncertainty we have to watch our backs big time!

I like that Cork team, they're a hungry bunch of feckers & they've raised the bar this year. Fair play to them :cool:

I'm still gutted tbh, I really wanted to get to an All-Ireland final, i've never been to one & wont go to my first unless Tyrone get there. I never seem to be able to get tickets or I only get one, and I wouldnt go without my mate - a Wicklow man, but a follower of the O'Neill county.

Still baffled how poorly Tyrone played tho, completely reminds me of United performance against Barca last May. fecking Deja Vu man - Deja fecking Vu :(

I hope for the good of the game, that Cork & Kerry play the game of their lives, it'll go some way to make up for our semi-final defeat. I'm surrounded by Cork folk in work - very nice people, so I wish them all the best!

As you know the missus is from the Kingdom, so of course I dont want her to be sad, but it would be a bitter pill to swallow if Kerry beat Cork because Cork bottle it, that would do my head in. All I want is a great game of football & I think we're gonna see exactly that on Sunday at 3.30pm!

I'm sure you'll find a boozer that'll show the game. I'll try & find out for you man & i'm post on here / PM ya if I do :cool:

Its gonna be a great day on Sunday - United at 1.30pm & then the All-Ireland at 3.30pm. As one finishes - the other begins - it doesnt get any better than that my friend. I'm jealous you're goin over, it's gonna be some atmosphere. I fancy us big time & if Man City were watching us in Istanbul last nite & heard the noise of the crowd - then wait til they hear the Old Trafford roar that awaits those c.u.n.t.s :devil:

feck C-i-t-e-h, feck Stephen Ireland, feck Teveth & feck that bollox Hughes - c.u.n.t.s the lot of them :keano::devil::keano::devil::keano:

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Televised Gaa matches in UK

Alright lads, for any of you Irish lads goin over for the Derby on Sunday & would like to see the All-Ireland final aswell, I did a bittuva search & I found this in some forum:

"The Info TV 2 channel (Sky 167) has carried live games for the last 4 or 5 Sundays, and is listing 2 this Sunday from 1245 to 1740. It's the Setanta feed..."

Irish GAA and hurling coverage in England - Broadcasting - Digital Spy Forums

Going by that quote, it seems The Info TV2 Channel (Sky 167) is showing both the Minor & Senior Football Finals :cool:

I'd say, try asking in a boozer if they have that channel, but even if they have they might not want to stick it on, as the Chelsea - Spurs match is on at 4pm. Worth a go though!

Crerand Legend

Alright lads, for any of you Irish lads goin over for the Derby on Sunday & would like to see the All-Ireland final aswell, I did a bittuva search & I found this in some forum:

"The Info TV 2 channel (Sky 167) has carried live games for the last 4 or 5 Sundays, and is listing 2 this Sunday from 1245 to 1740. It's the Setanta feed..."

Irish GAA and hurling coverage in England - Broadcasting - Digital Spy Forums

Going by that quote, it seems The Info TV2 Channel (Sky 167) is showing both the Minor & Senior Football Finals :cool:

I'd say, try asking in a boozer if they have that channel, but even if they have they might not want to stick it on, as the Chelsea - Spurs match is on at 4pm. Worth a go though!
Cheers again RDH for the info ,careful about all that work it aint good for you.Sunday is going to be a good one ok.If I would happen to be offered any tickets for the all Ireland I will give you first refusal ,it has happened before that I have been offered them late in the week and twice they were in the Guinness Hospitality Box which was grand indeed.My tickets for the final almost always come from my club but they dont like it if you pass them on to non club members so I told them not to worry about me this year .Anyhow have a good day and best of luck to the missus ,tell her to enjoy it for Derry are coming to claim Sam next year,no harm in dreaming is there?

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Cheers again RDH for the info ,careful about all that work it aint good for you.Sunday is going to be a good one ok.If I would happen to be offered any tickets for the all Ireland I will give you first refusal ,it has happened before that I have been offered them late in the week and twice they were in the Guinness Hospitality Box which was grand indeed.My tickets for the final almost always come from my club but they dont like it if you pass them on to non club members so I told them not to worry about me this year .Anyhow have a good day and best of luck to the missus ,tell her to enjoy it for Derry are coming to claim Sam next year,no harm in dreaming is there?
No bother CL, just trying to help a brother out - cant miss an All-Ireland unless its virtually impossible :cool:

Went onto Sky TV listings & its definitely on SKY Channel 167 INFO TV2. Programme starts at 12.45pm & they're showing all the days coverage: Minors & Seniors. It must be the RTE coverage they're feeding into through Setanta, as there's no other available that I know off, BBC N.I arent even showing the game as far as I know - discriminating bastards!

Great jesture CL regarding the tickets - thanks very much man - gentleman as always :cool:

I'll pass on your best regards to my young lady, she'll appreciate that & probably blush aswell. Nice touch man :)

No harm in dreaming at all, in fact, Derry arent that far behind as you know, we were all expecting great things from ya's this year, but a few negative & unlucky things transpired, which didnt help your cause!

I feel you need to sort the tribalism out within the County tho. There's always been major divisions - as most Counties have, but the greater good needs to be addressed or its gonna be the same shite again next year. Seems the clubs are at war far too often with the County Board for various reasons & its not helping the County Football team or morale within the County. Wish ya's all the best for next year & good luck in the Intermediate Final also :)

Gobo

havn't looked in here for a while. can't believe some people thought kilkenny were getting soft frees in the final. We only got 8 frees to tipps 19. Granted the penalty was debatable but the ref was far from biased.
anyway can't wait for next years championship. Is it too early to dream about 5 in a row?:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Anyway the Cats for 4 in a row.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Edit; good luck to Cork and Kerry on sunday.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
havn't looked in here for a while. can't believe some people thought kilkenny were getting soft frees in the final. We only got 8 frees to tipps 19. Granted the penalty was debatable but the ref was far from biased.
anyway can't wait for next years championship. Is it too early to dream about 5 in a row?:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Edit; good luck to Cork and Kerry on sunday.
Why's that man? You should be ashamed of yourself. Call yourself a Gaa man :D

Congrats on the 4-in-a-row & you're right, the stats stack up as regards the frees. Atleast you won, dont mind anyone mate!

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Delighted for Kerry and delighted that it was Cork they beat in the final!
You not like Cork NC?

I thought Cork were superb this year & if it wasnt for them squandering so many chances - they maybe would of faired better!

Still, although they didnt win - they can be very proud of themselves & it'll galvanise the football half of the County onto days like yesterday!

Its gonna be very interesting next year with so many teams improving this year. As for my own County - the boys will be determined to make up for a dire performance against Cork & make sure they avoid any dodgy foods before their biggest game of the year. Still gutted about that :(

Congrats to Kerry - mighty performance yesterday :cool:

Dave89

Only downside is I would bet it's McFlynn and McBride's last hurrah. :(