All Time Chain Draft - R1: antohan vs Joga/Annah

Who will win with players at career peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
From what I've seen, I'd rather play Carlos Alberto or Djalma at centerback, than any of Brazil's centerbacks bar Da Guia. I actually think Lucio's peak is a bit underrated, he might have a shot at 2nd best Brazilian centerback for his longevity. Thiago Silva's peak looks rather short at the moment and his brainfart at the World Cup means he also lacks any impact at the biggest stage. But maybe I'm biased in regards to Lucio, always loved him.
Lucio is definitely top of mind in my continuing battle to find five credible Brazilian CBs.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Didn't @Balu pick mauro ramos once and that went swimmingly well. Yet here anto pulled off a real number on him. It is a bit absurd IMO. Even if he is average, he is playing next to Tresor, Santos and Alberto. That is a mighty fine back 4.
I had a few Penarol players saving his ass though, it's always a good idea to put a few of antohan's favourites next to the ones he doesn't like ;). But yes, he played a starring key role in my 3 man defense in the manager draft:

antohan

Or Lucio, for that matter. Another World Cup winning CB.

Anyway, anto no doubt went overboard with portraying him as an utter mug, but I don't think we can classify him as a great player by any stretch. Decent CB in this context, miles off what anto sported, though - and would have needed a giant (not "just" a bloody good player, but a GOAT of some description) alongside him in order to be truly sell-able here.
He wasn't sellable at all, even Don Elías would have struggled to contain two strikers with this chap going on random errands.

I knew I never rated him much at all and somewhat preferred Bellini but I was shocked to see just how bad he was. That clip with the long ball and the knockdown for someone who is utterly free... Nilton Santos is helping out Zózimo to cover for this numpty. Who on earth would rather have Mauro Ramos wondering around the midfield than having Nilton doing his job on the flank?

Mental, made no sense whatsoever, I didn't see him get a single thing right for ten minutes. Really weird.

antohan

Didn't @Balu pick mauro ramos once and that went swimmingly well. Yet here anto pulled off a real number on him. It is a bit absurd IMO. Even if he is average, he is playing next to Tresor, Santos and Alberto. That is a mighty fine back 4.
If you ask Balu he will tell you he asked me my opinion on him and Bellini and I told him I wouldn't pick either.

It's not my job to destroy players on behalf of other managers, it's for them to do their job. Unless of course it's Gary Kelly, then I'll certainly oblige.

Annahnomoss

I'd like to have heard more about Mauro Ramos and why he is so well regarded. Anto's criticism of him was a little flimsy, but it wasn't that well refuted frankly. That's the problem with those sorts of players, you struggle to defend or praise given the lack of evidence kicking about.

Djalma in the middle with Da Guia would be a strong option. I rate Silva highly and it showed how much Brazil depended upon him in their implosion against Germany.
Mauro Ramos
He was the captain of Sao Paulo, Pele's Santos and the Brazilian National Team.

"For those who saw Domingos da Guia playing, it was unthinkable that a center-back could come close to “El Divino Maestro” once was: the perfection. This was just recognized in 1946, in Poços de Caldas, countryside of the state of Minas Gerais, for those who watched his first steps while Mauro was at Associação Atlética Caldense, his local hometown team. The young man demonstrated an elegant and classic style, great in using his head, loyal in the tackles – however steady. He was a good marker although he was slow. He had a lot of Domingos indeed."

“Mauro was a classical defender, elegant; he was never prone to use violent tackles or being disloyal. He always was capable to stop adversary attacks with an immense stillness.”

How come he could play with Zozimo who was a playmaking midfielder by heart? Back then Brazilian centre backs were defenders first and foremost;

Mauro Ramos - "It's foolishness. If a center-back, while pursuing a forward, finds himself in a position in which he doesn't have sufficient quality, he will pay dearly for it. Did you know Oscar came back from USA because of this?". The text still follows: "Oscar fully agrees with Mauro and he thinks the better for the Brazilian football is to go on by doing what he knows best."

Club

1947 Sanjoanense
1948 - 1959 São Paulo FC: 492 appearances / 2 goals
1960 - 1966 Santos FC: 354 appearances / 1 goals
1966-1967 - Toluca

Trophies & Tournaments:
1948 Campeonato Paulista - São Paulo F.C.
1949 Campeonato Paulista - São Paulo F.C.
1949 Copa America - Brazil
1950 Taça Rio Branco - São Paulo F.C.
1953 Campeonato Paulista - São Paulo F.C.
1955 O'Higgins Cup - Brazil
1957 Campeonato Paulista - São Paulo F.C.
1958 World Cup - Brazil
1959 Torneio Rio-São Paulo - São Paulo F.C.
1960 Campeonato Paulista - Santos F.C.
1961 Campeonato Paulista - Santos F.C.
1961 Taça Brasil - Santos F.C.
1961 O'Higgins Cup - Brazil
1962 Campeonato Paulista - Santos F.C.
1962 Copa Libertadores - Santos F.C.
1962 World Cup - Brazil
1962 Intercontinental Cup - Santos F.C.
1962 Taça Brasil - Santos F.C.
1963 Copa Libertadores - Santos F.C.
1963 Taça Brasil - Santos F.C.
1963 Coppa Roca - Brazil
1963 Torneio Rio-São Paulo - Santos F.C.
1963 Intercontinental Cup - Santos F.C.
1964 Campeonato Paulista - Santos F.C.
1964 Torneio Rio-São Paulo - Santos F.C.
1964 Taça Brasil - Santos F.C.
1965 Campeonato Paulista - Santos F.C.
1965 Taça Brasil - Santos F.C.

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
If you ask Balu he will tell you he asked me my opinion on him and Bellini and I told him I wouldn't pick either.
Yeah, that was definitely true during the World Cup draft. Anto was always honest about that to me. @crappycraperson

Crappy's right though, when I picked him in the manager draft for my Bela Guttmann team (I didn't really have a choice), you didn't criticise him even once. But then, you were busy to defend the Penarol players in my team after they were criticised. Which was of course part of my plan all along :D.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He wasn't sellable at all, even Don Elías would have struggled to contain two strikers with this chap going on random errands.

I knew I never rated him much at all and somewhat preferred Bellini but I was shocked to see just how bad he was. That clip with the long ball and the knockdown for someone who is utterly free... Nilton Santos is helping out Zózimo to cover for this numpty. Who on earth would rather have Mauro Ramos wondering around the midfield than having Nilton doing his job on the flank?

Mental, made no sense whatsoever, I didn't see him get a single thing right for ten minutes. Really weird.
Yeah, but in fairness that's painting him in a pretty horrible light. He won the WC - as a captain - and captained Santos too (I think) for a number of years. And he's generally highly rated among Brazilian sports journos (of the sort who compose all time XIs), Annah's right about that.

So, while he's underwhelming in an all time draft context, he isn't an insane pick. It's what we've been saying here: The pool of truly great Brazilian CBs is...well, it consists of one man. Below him there's a handful of players who are all much of a muchness, I'd say. And it's not unreasonable to claim that he's among those players, alongside Bellini, Lucio, Aldair...that bunch.

The problem here, of course, is that being in that bunch simply doesn't cut it. Compared to what you sported in the same department, he looks positively shabby.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Glad to see antohan is still as effective and charming as ever!

:lol:

Great game though, two very good teams. Anto's defence is brilliant, one of the best I'v seen in a draft pre reinforcement stage.

antohan

Yeah, that was definitely true during the World Cup draft. Anto was always honest about that to me. @crappycraperson

Crappy's right though, when I picked him in the manager draft for my Bela Guttmann team (I didn't really have a choice), you didn't criticise him even once. But then, you were busy to defend the Penarol players in my team after they were criticised. Which was of course part of my plan all along :D.
Standard draft shenanigans, everyone knows @Aldo has that Baresi clip on My Favourites in case any discussion on Maradona or Baresi vs. Scirea comes up.

The difference being, if I don't defend my boys, who will?

Moby

Dick
Standard draft shenanigans, everyone knows @Aldo has that Baresi clip on My Favourites in case any discussion on Maradona or Baresi vs. Scirea comes up.

The difference being, if I don't defend my boys, who will?
:lol:

It's not just that, but also coupled with the one in which Scirea keeps a clean sheet against Napoli with Maradona throwing everything he can at him. :drool: (Napoli won through a Diego FK by the way, the clean sheet was from open play.)

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout

I don't necessarily have a problem with that. anto is essentially playing the role of a lawyer here. It was upto Annah and Joga to counter him. Only thing is when they did try to hit him on his unknown players, they got a lot of replies from others along with Aldo. On the flip side no one really countered anto along with them here. They needed a hyper posting performance to win this

antohan

Yeah, but in fairness that's painting him in a pretty horrible light. He won the WC - as a captain - and captained Santos too (I think) for a number of years. And he's generally highly rated among Brazilian sports journos (of the sort who compose all time XIs), Annah's right about that.

So, while he's underwhelming in an all time draft context, he isn't an insane pick. It's what we've been saying here: The pool of truly great Brazilian CBs is...well, it consists of one man. Below him there's a handful of players who are all much of a muchness, I'd say. And it's not unreasonable to claim that he's among those players, alongside Bellini, Lucio, Aldair...that bunch.

The problem here, of course, is that being in that bunch simply doesn't cut it. Compared to what you sported in the same department, he looks positively shabby.
The thing with Brazilian CBs and Brazilian rating of CBs is there's still this massive rift between those enamoured with Jogo Bonito and those who realise football doesn't work like that any more. Mauro may have made a decent libero, he clearly likes going AWOL, regularly. At Santos that was fine as it was a dominant team that outscored the oppo but conceded tonnes as well, there was one particular Libertadores game where Peñarol lost 5-4 away at Santos. No one cared about the four goals because they scored five anyway, so him being more a footballer than an actual defender didn't really get much scrutiny. Same with Brazil.

There's no doubt in my mind I would have been far more concerned facing Lucio than Mauro Ramos. Zero, nothing.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The thing with Brazilian CBs and Brazilian rating of CBs is there's still this massive rift between those enamoured with Jogo Bonito and those who realise football doesn't work like that any more. Mauro may have made a decent libero, he clearly likes going AWOL, regularly. At Santos that was fine as it was a dominant team that outscored the oppo but conceded tonnes as well, there was one particular Libertadores game where Peñarol lost 5-4 away at Santos. No one cared about the four goals because they scored five anyway, so him being more a footballer than an actual defender didn't really get much scrutiny. Same with Brazil.

There's no doubt in my mind I would have been far more concerned facing Lucio than Mauro Ramos. Zero, nothing.
Oh yes, no argument there.

He's a midget on top of everything else (for a CB) and a ball player much more than a duel man. So your point about him being eaten alive by Boninsegna was more than valid. I'm not defending the man as such, just pointing out that he isn't some sort of super mug who doesn't belong in this setting. He does - but he's out of his depth in this match.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't necessarily have a problem with that. anto is essentially playing the role of a lawyer here. It was upto Annah and Joga to counter him. Only thing is when they did try to hit him on his unknown players, they got a lot of replies from others along with Aldo. On the flip side no one really countered anto along with them here. They needed a hyper posting performance to win this
Yeah, at one point I actually thought Annah and Joga overdid the '2 vs 1' thing. They basically took turns and posted throughout with no break at all and if it was me playing against them, I would have been a bit annoyed. But then I thought, it's anto, they should keep going if they want to have a chance.

antohan

They were largely talking bollocks though. I'm as guilty as anyone of ending up being one sided simply because one manager is putting forward a coherent case backed by evidence and the other is talking crap.

I think for the most part it revolved around Annah's dismissive approach (anyone saying someone is shit because he hasn't been picked before is asking for it) and the ongoing tripe about how Facchetti wasn't going to attack and would be in all sorts of trouble.

Repeating a flawed argument enough times doesn't make it true, it just riles up people.

Annahnomoss

Antohan: It doesn't concern me one bit TBH, perfectly comfortable in dealing with Joga's attack. Caetano kept clean sheets against the likes of José Augusto, Amancio and Jinky Johnstone, I don't see why he wouldn't against Hoeness. Matosas and Ramos are a great combo in terms of style and steel and Maldini shouldn't have a problem dealing with Wimmer. The defence is also very well protected with that midfield trio ahead of them.

I certainly expected Balu Guttman (:lol:) to start with that back four and was wondering how they would go about the rest. Top marks AFAIC.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/mana...oga-bonito-lattek.398193/page-2#post-16679428

Antohan: Mauro Ramos: an interesting one for this theme, Mauro had won four league titles with São Paulo and was a regular fixture in the Brazilian NT since winning the Copa América in 1949. However, he was a consistently a sub. Too classy, didn't impose himself, and so on. It was actually Bela Guttman that talked him into accepting and believing he was actually the best centreback Brazil had. He coaxed him to grow a pair and come forth as the defensive leader and organiser he could be, which was one of the main motivations in him moving to Santos, where he became the rock their defence revolved around and delivering five Campeonato Paulistas over the course of six years, 2x Copa Libertadores, 2x Intercontinental Cup and, by 1962, making him the obvious choice to captain Brazil at the World Cup, which they won.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/mana...oga-bonito-lattek.398193/page-2#post-16679483

Antohan: That tidbit on Ramos is one of many why Gutman is held in the highest esteem in Brazil. It sounds incredible, but his short stint was an integral part of what made jogo bonito be permanently associated with them. Ramos a case in point: it was no shame for a centreback to be good on the ball, rather a bonus and a reason to build a defence around such a player to kickstart play from the back. It changed not just Mauro Ramos' trajectory but that of Brazilian football. By this time Zizinho was having an Indian Summer whereby he primarily brought forth all his experience and football brain to carve out defences, but he too acknowledged how much he had learnt under Guttman and, particularly mind-boggling for a World Cup Golden Ball Winner, how he helped him perfect the way he would strike a ball

NM

I think everybody knows Anto is more greasy than a used car salesman, and will sell his team like its the fecking Kohinoor diamond. Part and parcel of the draft, even though I hate it. He's just very darn good and extremely entertaining, as long as you are not the one playing him.

Moby

Dick
I think everybody knows Anto is more greasy than a used car salesman, and will sell his team like its the fecking Kohinoor diamond. Part and parcel of the draft, even though I hate it. He's just very darn good and extremely entertaining, as long as you are not the one playing him.
Sup! Long time!

Annahnomoss

How much have you seen from him lately mate? Even in comparison to the international standard he's a great footballer and defender. The Brazilian defenders are hardly as useless as they are being portrayed as here, Luis Pereira and Mauro Ramos are quality picks even for an All-time draft especially with this drafts circumstances. I've watched plenty of Bellini as well and he's a great defender too.

http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=268164
Has him down as 61. Mauro Ramos (Brazil) ahead of players like Campbell, McGrath, Rio Ferdinand etc etc. Of course these lists are just another opinion and not credential facts but he's being painted out as a nobody while he was fantastic.

antohan

@Annahnomoss, you do realise I am at no point saying he is a terrific CB and actually most of that is aimed towards the genius of Bela Gutman and his influence in Brazilian football.

If you are impersonating Bela Guttmann Mauro Ramos plays for your side, it's that simple. It's all part of the story, which is the more interesting part in a thematic draft like that one. I mean, it would be like making a SAF side and not playing the fledglings.

Incidentally, that backline had enough defensive quality to acccommodate a player like Ramos. In a four man backline, with two attacking fullbacks and without a stopper next to him it jjust doesn't sound like the best idea. At all.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
AFAIC Mauro Ramos is as untouchable as Philippe Mexes, that's how highly I rate him. He is simply not a defender.
Mauro may have made a decent libero, he clearly likes going AWOL, regularly
FFS mate, Heynckes would have been rather pleased with that if you said those stuff in that older match of mine when many were questioning the other team's defense :(:(. (Still would have deservedly lost that one anyway.)

Anyway, let's drop this and move on. The match is over and I accept that you won fair and square but the bashing of M.Ramos is extremely unfair and over the top, and by the rate you are going, no one is going to pick him again. That just wouldn't be right.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Incidentally, that backline had enough defensive quality to acccommodate a player like Ramos. In a four man backline, with two attacking fullbacks and without a stopper next to him it jjust doesn't sound like the best idea. At all.
Really? My team was full gung-ho with a 3 man defense and no wingbacks :lol:. But then, that was kinda the point of my team. feck defending, keep outscoring the opponent. Mauro Ramos would have felt instantly at home in a team like that.

Moby

Dick
Anyway, let's drop this and move on. The match is over and I accept that you won fair and square but the bashing of M.Ramos is extremely unfair and over the top, and by the rate you are going, no one is going to pick him again. That just wouldn't be right.
Ramos gets to go sit with Luis Eyzaguirre in the corner of the room. Forever.

NM

Still sore, clearly. ;)
What am I sore about? I was actually praising you!

Sup! Long time!
Indeed. Real life too busy for drafts though this seemed a great one

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
How much have you seen from him lately mate? Even in comparison to the international standard he's a great footballer and defender. The Brazilian defenders are hardly as useless as they are being portrayed as here, Luis Pereira and Mauro Ramos are quality picks even for an All-time draft especially with this drafts circumstances. I've watched plenty of Bellini as well and he's a great defender too.

http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=268164
Has him down as 61. Mauro Ramos (Brazil) ahead of players like Campbell, McGrath, Rio Ferdinand etc etc. Of course these lists are just another opinion and not credential facts but he's being painted out as a nobody while he was fantastic.
He's not a great defender. That's bollocks, pure and simple.

Match over, let it go.

antohan

The game is finished indeed. That's why I wonder why Annah keeps questioning statements I make after the game is over. It's my opinion, everyone is entitled to one.

I'd agree he shouldn't go to some sort of draft dustbin, but when picked he has to be picked for his positive attributes and what they contribute to a team, not sticking him next to a sweeper and saying they complement each other fantastically and that because the guy captained a World Cup winning side then he has no problem against Roberto Boninsegna the never before picked player.

Now THAT was poor form. It's crystal clear to anyone with an ounce of good sense that Boninsegna is precisely the sort of striker he will have a torrid time with. It takes you five minutes to suss it.

I'm all for being fair on players and part of being fair is not grossly misrepresenting them.

Annahnomoss

He's not a great defender. That's bollocks, pure and simple.

Match over, let it go.

:D So tell us how you reached this conclusion as you are definitely more in the know than anybody else on this topic(Placar Magazine etc). How many games have you seen from Mauro Ramos? Do you mind discussing these games that made you see him as such a poor defender? Is there any articles that you've found that severely criticise him? Can we have a look at those?

antohan

Really? My team was full gung-ho with a 3 man defense and no wingbacks :lol:. But then, that was kinda the point of my team. feck defending, keep outscoring the opponent. Mauro Ramos would have felt instantly at home in a team like that.
I thought I read up there that you had Caetano, Matosas and Maldini in it as well... Oh, of course. THAT Maldini.

And yes, you are right, and if you are playing him under that premise and aren't pretending that all is well and good, then fair enough.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
The game is finished indeed. That's why I wonder why Annah keeps questioning statements I make after the game is over. It's my opinion, everyone is entitled to one.

I'd agree he shouldn't go to some sort of draft dustbin, but when picked he has to be picked for his positive attributes and what they contribute to a team, not sticking him next to a sweeper and saying they complement each other fantastically and that because the guy captained a World Cup winning side then he has no problem against Roberto Boninsegna the never before picked player.

Now THAT was poor form. It's crystal clear to anyone with an ounce of good sense that Boninsegna is precisely the sort of striker he will have a torrid time with. It takes you five minutes to suss it.

I'm all for being fair on players and part of being fair is not grossly misrepresenting them.
That's fair enough and you were within your right to do so during the match as you felt he was misused tactically etc but continuing to bash his individual ability and credentials after the match, and outside the match, isn't necessary though. Just as Annah questioning Boninsegna and Altafini after the match wasn't right but a defense of your players would have been more apt than the bashing of M.Ramos.

It just wouldn't be right if he goes to the draft dustbin.