All Time Chain Draft Round 1 EAP vs Skizzo

With players at their peaks, who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skizzo

Peak was Roma not Milan, so your quotes are not even comparable to his peak.

2006-07 With him and Chivu in Central Defence, The Giallorossi also finished second in Serie A with the third lowest goals conceded total!

No one plays for 10+ years in Italian top league while being a defensive liability.
Well we can look farther back to if you like? It's probably a bit easier to play 10+ years in Italy if you've missed the equivalent of a whole season through suspensions.

Mexes has recently become the most banned Serie A player of the last ten years, missing as much as 32 games. This astonishing statistic means the Frenchman has served almost a seasons worth of matches through suspension. His most recent misdemeanor came against Juventus when he was caught punching Giorgio Chiellini, resulting in a four match ban. His brushes with referees and players have been well documented, including a long feud with Zlatan Ibrahimovic during his time with Roma. His tendency to bully opponents has made him a hate figure amongst many fan groups and tarnished his image in Italy. However, despite his atrocious record, Mexes is in fact one of the better central defenders in Serie A.

Reasonably comfortable in possession, he will regularly be seen pushing forward with the ball giving his teammates options. His passing is adequate but he does force play into narrow spaces, a fundamental flaw as it suffocates the attacking move. Mexes’ greatest traits are certainly attributed to his physical strength, allowing him to fend off attackers with relative ease; providing they’re smaller than he is. Like many defenders of Mexes’ build, he struggles with the pacey players, with Milan’s recent defeats to Barcelona demonstrating this fact. Despite his modest stature and excellent upper-body strength, Mexes has issues marking tall players such as Luca Toni and the aforementioned Ibrahimovic. Observers would say the 31 year-old looks to contain attackers and not risk letting them get goal-side, because in these situations, Mexes can be diabolical.
and a bit more on his time in Milan, where they had a great defensive record with him too...

Sadly, it’s unlikely the Frenchmen will be remembered for his defending. In the previous campaign, Milan had the best defensive record in the last 20 matches of Serie A, where both Cristian Zapata and Philippe Mexes played a huge role in the club’s renaissance. As a partnership, they look excellent on paper as the Colombian international can inject a bit of pace, but many Rossoneri will tell you otherwise. Clumsy and disjointed are perhaps polite ways of describing a defense made to look shambolic compared to Milan’s greatest pairings.

MJJ

Just so we are aware how out of his depth Mexes is here...
One player who has probably caused fans the most pain is also a symbol of the team's recent defensive inadequacies.

Philippe Mexes has proved to be a poor successor to Milan's long line of excellent center-backs. When compared to Franco Baresi, Billy Costacurta, Alessandro Nesta and Paolo Maldini, the Frenchman seems grossly inadequate.

:lol: Who wouldnt compared to those four? (I do agree with your point about mexes but found that piece of criticism funny)

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Not sure why you seem to think he can't play there. I get the "misdirection" of trying to get attention away from Mexes...but Pirri is highly regarded, one of Spain's all time great midfielders, and is more than capable of shutting down Totti here.

By your own admission, Emerson is on Riquelme, so if Enrique on Del Sol drift wide, your own midfielders will have to come wide to cover them. If not, your full backs will need to push up again, leaving the space behind for Sivori and Riquelme to exploit.

Sagnol pushing up would be fine if you had someone there who could cover him...Mexes isn't that player. Not by a long shot. In an all time draft, he's so far out of his depth.
I really don't get the idea of someone needing to 'cover' for a full back. It's not as it fullbacks suddenly needs cover everytime they go forward, do they?

And it's not misdirection. You keep selling Pirri as a DM when his career was mostly as a box-to-box. Yes, all B2B's are defensively sound, but that doesn't mean they can fit at the base of a diamond, can they?

Well we can look farther back to if you like? It's probably a bit easier to play 10+ years in Italy if you've missed the equivalent of a whole season through suspensions.

and a bit more on his time in Milan, where they had a great defensive record with him too...
What's your point with his disciplinary records? Effenberg doesn't have a great record either, but that doesn't take away from what he gets on the field, does it? Milan has history of world class partnerships. I never tried to sell Mexes as a heir to those greats. Just that he can be a great partner to Augenthaler in holding the line. He may be the least stellar name in the team sheet for this match, but that certainly doesn't make him a liability.

Annahnomoss

EAP clearly has the advantage when it comes to the strongest strengths with Brehme as a perfect outlet on the left and Breitnigge and Sagnol on the right. But Skizzo doesn't have any glaring weaknesses like Mexes and I also rate Riquelme and Pirri higher than Totti and Emerson. Not sure where I stand in this one, possibly leaning towards EAP for now but it is very slightly.

Skizzo

I really don't get the idea of someone needing to 'cover' for a full back. It's not as it fullbacks suddenly needs cover everytime they go forward, do they?
Not Everytime, no. However, if Sagnol bombs forward, we have fantastic distribution from the back in Hierro who will get the ball there quicker than Sagnol can recover. Mexes then has to cover. He struggles against quick, pace players, but also against tall physical ones. I have one of each attacking the space he'd be in.

And it's not misdirection. You keep selling Pirri as a DM when his career was mostly as a box-to-box. Yes, all B2B's are defensively sound, but that doesn't mean they can fit at the base of a diamond, can they?
Not all could, no. Good thing I have one of the best Spanish midfielders of all time who could play there.

What's your point with his disciplinary records? Effenberg doesn't have a great record either, but that doesn't take away from what he gets on the field, does it? Milan has history of world class partnerships. I never tried to sell Mexes as a heir to those greats. Just that he can be a great partner to Augenthaler in holding the line. He may be the least stellar name in the team sheet for this match, but that certainly doesn't make him a liability.
My point is that he's rash, reckless, and hot headed. He's gonna make some bad tackles in or around the box, and that will lead to some good chances and goals for my team.

Skizzo

EAP clearly has the advantage when it comes to the strongest strengths with Brehme as a perfect outlet on the left and Breitnigge and Sagnol on the right. But Skizzo doesn't have any glaring weaknesses like Mexes and I also rate Riquelme and Pirri higher than Totti and Emerson. Not sure where I stand in this one, possibly leaning towards EAP for now but it is very slightly.
He does have the better attacking full back outlet, but his glaring weakness also leads to the best chances of goals. It isn't like a midfielders is pushed wide and won't have as much of an impact....The biggest weakness on the pitch is up against Sivori and Charles. Either on the ground, or in the air, both have an advantage over him.

Charles is also taller than both center backs, and has a tremendous leap. A ball in from Camacho, Sivori or one from Hierro and Charles is on the scoresheet.

Just something to keep in mind :p

Annahnomoss

He does have the better attacking full back outlet, but his glaring weakness also leads to the best chances of goals. It isn't like a midfielders is pushed wide and won't have as much of an impact....The biggest weakness on the pitch is up against Sivori and Charles. Either on the ground, or in the air, both have an advantage over him.

Charles is also taller than both center backs, and has a tremendous leap. A ball in from Camacho, Sivori or one from Hierro and Charles is on the scoresheet.

Just something to keep in mind :p
It is indeed what keeps me unsure. I will have to watch them play together to get a better picture of it!

Skizzo

@Annahnomoss
This us a good one to start with though. Charles tearing it up in Italy. Shows he's more than just great with his head. His strength and pace to get in behind defences, great finishing....and Sivori pops up with some of the assists. Just look for the guy with his socks rolled all the way down.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@VivaJanuzaj change in formation:

Substitution:
The underrated Emerson is replaced with Michael Ballack.

Tactics:
Effenberg and Breitner have shifted a little deeper to shore up the defence. Between the two of them they'll have the tactical nous and workrate to shut out attacking threats.

The gap in attacking workload due to above has been taken on by Ballack. Physically strong with a commanding presence and a great passing range, Ballack will add steel to the midfield. His late runs into the box will be difficult to track and he brings an added goal threat to the team.

Totti will shift a little bit towards the Inside Left channel to accommodate Ballack. It's a role he has played before and is quite comfortable. It also helps him link up more easily with Brehme. He still has a free drifting role and his pace and movement will cause more confusion for Pirri who needs to contend with Ballack and his runs.

50s
Kalle
Breitner
Augenthaler

60s
Effenberg
Brehme

70s
Shevchenko
Totti
Ballack
Sagnol

80s
Mexes

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

@Annahnomoss
This us a good one to start with though. Charles tearing it up in Italy. Shows he's more than just great with his head. His strength and pace to get in behind defences, great finishing....and Sivori pops up with some of the assists. Just look for the guy with his socks rolled all the way down.

Great video. Interesting that so many of Charles goals came when being absolutely swarmed with defenders, yet somehow he looked like he had found a comfortable amount of space every time. Not a lot of goals where someone put him through on clean chances, most seems like 50-50 crosses, passes and loose balls that he converts.

Skizzo

Think that works out better for me now (which is always the cliche thing for the opposition manager to say after a sub in these games I know :lol: )

Riquelme has a whole pocket of space now without anyone matching up to him. With extra space, he'll have more joy running the game in there.

On the flip side, Totti gets a bit shunted in to accommodate another player to occupy a similar space, crowding each other out.

Skizzo

Great video. Interesting that so many of Charles goals came when being absolutely swarmed with defenders, yet somehow he looked like he had found a comfortable amount of space every time. Not a lot of goals where someone put him through on clean chances, most seems like 50-50 crosses, passes and loose balls that he converts.
He seems to be thought of as a big target man, in the mold of a muscular Peter Crouch. His strength let him run with the ball, and his pace often let him get in behind and run past defenders. So much more to his game than a big lug up front.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Think that works out better for me now (which is always the cliche thing for the opposition manager to say after a sub in these games I know :lol: )

Riquelme has a whole pocket of space now without anyone matching up to him. With extra space, he'll have more joy running the game in there.

On the flip side, Totti gets a bit shunted in to accommodate another player to occupy a similar space, crowding each other out.
:lol:

How does that work, Now he has to deal with two excellent defensive players instead of one underrated player.

It'd be Pirri who's is now in trouble. He has Ballack in front and Totti drifting behind him. Kalle is roaming on the other side. With Sheva occupying the CB's (unless you prefer to risk it one one one), this contest has turned towards my team quite significantly.

I still have the better fullbacks and that means quicker counters. If your midfielders stretch themselves to join in, then my counter will be quite devastating.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
And that's another point in my favour.

Transition & Counters:

Without the adventurous full backs and part-time wide players Skizzo's team will have to move the ball through centrally most of the time and it'll get bogged in the crowd. All 3 of my midfielders have exceptional work rate to make that a nightmare.

On the flip side, Brehme and Sagnol will have a relatively easier route going forward. Their link to Totti/Kalle will be much easier, smoother, quicker and deadlier.

Skizzo

:lol:

How does that work, Now he has to deal with two excellent defensive players instead of one underrated player.

It'd be Pirri who's is now in trouble. He has Ballack in front and Totti drifting behind him. Kalle is roaming on the other side. With Sheva occupying the CB's (unless you prefer to risk it one one one), this contest has turned towards my team quite significantly.

I still have the better fullbacks and that means quicker counters. If your midfielders stretch themselves to join in, then my counter will be quite devastating.
Because neither one are picking him up. Unless you're wasting one of them on a defensive duty.

You putting Totti and Ballack in the same area of the pitch just makes it easier to crowd them out. Unless you're shunting Totti wide, which is a waste of him, and negates most of the Totti stats you threw around earlier.

If Sheva is occupying my defenders, what the hell do you think Charles is doing at the other end? :lol: he'd be tearing through it.

You've already said how my full backs won't be attacking, so there's not much threat if you try and counter since everyone will be set up and still just as solid. It just leaves you even more open at the back with your full backs gone, no defensive midfielder on Riquelme....and Mexes.

Skizzo

And that's another point in my favour.

Transition & Counters:

Without the adventurous full backs and part-time wide players Skizzo's team will have to move the ball through centrally most of the time and it'll get bogged in the crowd. All 3 of my midfielders have exceptional work rate to make that a nightmare.

On the flip side, Brehme and Sagnol will have a relatively easier route going forward. Their link to Totti/Kalle will be much easier, smoother, quicker and deadlier.
What's a quicker counter...your full backs running up the field, or Hierro hitting the ball to Charles before your team sets back up?

diarm

@Edgar Allan Pillow I think your original lineup was better. Ballack for Emerson is a downgrade for me and doesn't fix the issue you had.

With a better CB than Mexes you won this game with that lovely diamond, wonderful fullbacks and cracking attack. Not sure I like the new way Effenberg and Breitner are being used at all.

Moby

Dick
@Edgar Allan Pillow I think your original lineup was better.
Again, at the risk of posting without reading the thread and knowing the reasons for the change... this absolutely!

Totti was in his element in the previous line up, now he's nothing more than being on the periphery. And he's not one to easily and happily adapt to such a role, there'll be a moan or two in the dressing room.

Funny thing is the first draft I played, organised and won on Redcafe over 4 years ago, I had Totti in the exact same role in the final. :lol: But back then, in the newbs it was just names, no tactics or other stuff, so I got away with it. :D

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Because neither one are picking him up. Unless you're wasting one of them on a defensive duty.

You putting Totti and Ballack in the same area of the pitch just makes it easier to crowd them out. Unless you're shunting Totti wide, which is a waste of him, and negates most of the Totti stats you threw around earlier.

If Sheva is occupying my defenders, what the hell do you think Charles is doing at the other end? :lol: he'd be tearing through it.

You've already said how my full backs won't be attacking, so there's not much threat if you try and counter since everyone will be set up and still just as solid. It just leaves you even more open at the back with your full backs gone, no defensive midfielder on Riquelme....and Mexes.
So my two midfielders will be there doing nothing when Riquelme runs riot? You know having an AM doesn't always deserve a DM to hand hold!

- Your fullbacks won't be attacking
- Getting the ball through that congested midfield and through my players will not be easy or often.
- Hierro's long balls may well turn out to be your best route all game!

My advantage is flexibility. It is a mobile front 3 with added runs by Ballack. Totti and Kalle will have very hard to track and the'll drift into open spaces all the time. Pirri needs to concentrate between Ballack and players behind him.

What's a quicker counter...your full backs running up the field, or Hierro hitting the ball to Charles before your team sets back up?
So you bypass wout own 'excellent' midfield. Hierro's long balls can never be a consistent way to get forward, whereas my full backs can be.

@Edgar Allan Pillow I think your original lineup was better. Ballack for Emerson is a downgrade for me and doesn't fix the issue you had.

With a better CB than Mexes you won this game with that lovely diamond, wonderful fullbacks and cracking attack. Not sure I like the new way Effenberg and Breitner are being used at all.
Can't do much about Mexes now and I still maintain he is not a liability. Not in Skizzo's CB class, but certainly not a liability.

Ballack is a far superior player to Emerson. His stint with Bayern was stellar. He was a complete midfielder. Cannot be dominated physically, has the ability to continuously move the ball up to my attack and has a brilliant passing range and workrate.

And there's not much change to the way Effenberg and Breitner operate. Their strength is box-to-box and they'll continue doing that. Just like Keane or Vieira this change should in fact make it better for them to control the midfield. Riquelme will have less space to operate in and they;ll hound any of his other midfielders who has the ball. With support from Ballack this will be a tight affair with less space for his team to exploit.

Skizzo

So my two midfielders will be there doing nothing when Riquelme runs riot? You know having an AM doesn't always deserve a DM to hand hold!
Doesn't always, no...but in this case Riquelme would have a field day. Earlier you were arguing that you would use Emerson to try and limit him...now all of a sudden no one is on him and he's not going to be effective? Right.

- Your fullbacks won't be attacking
- Getting the ball through that congested midfield and through my players will not be easy or often.
Camacho will at times, just not all game. My midfielders are comfortable out wide, so there's no issues with them moving wide to receive the ball in space.

My advantage is flexibility. It is a mobile front 3 with added runs by Ballack. Totti and Kalle will have very hard to track and the'll drift into open spaces all the time. Pirri needs to concentrate between Ballack and players behind him.
:lol: there's no flexibility in shoving Totti over to try and make space for someone else. You're limiting your own players effectiveness....after banging on about him the whole time. Now all those Totti stats are a bit irrelevant with him not in his favored role.

So you bypass wout own 'excellent' midfield. Hierro's long balls can never be a consistent way to get forward, whereas my full backs can be.
I mentioned it as another option, with all the space you'll be leaving. That's a part of my flexibility.

Can't do much about Mexes now and I still maintain he is not a liability. Not in Skizzo's CB class, but certainly not a liability.

Ballack is a far superior player to Emerson. His stint with Bayern was stellar. He was a complete midfielder. Cannot be dominated physically, has the ability to continuously move the ball up to my attack and has a brilliant passing range and workrate.

And there's not much change to the way Effenberg and Breitner operate. Their strength is box-to-box and they'll continue doing that. Just like Keane or Vieira this change should in fact make it better for them to control the midfield.
Mexes is a liability in this setting. He has no place in an all time draft, especially facing the quality of strikers he's up against.no two ways about that.

diarm

No but you were still winning with him being your main issue. I'm not sure you look as strong now.

And there's not much change to the way Effenberg and Breitner operate. Their strength is box-to-box and they'll continue doing that. Just like Keane or Vieira this change should in fact make it better for them to control the midfield. Riquelme will have less space to operate in and they;ll hound any of his other midfielders who has the ball. With support from Ballack this will be a tight affair with less space for his team to exploit.
Ballack is a fine player no doubt. When I said downgrade, I meant more in terms of the balance and shape of your side. Emerson behind allowed Effenberg and Breitner great license to drive forwards and to give some additional width. It also afforded Totti free reign to do his thing in space.

The new shape relies solely on your fullbacks for width and puts Ballack in a space where he operates best, but where he's going to be pushing into Totti's territory.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The new shape relies solely on your fullbacks for width and puts Ballack in a space where he operates best, but where he's going to be pushing into Totti's territory.
You could say that. Skizzo only has part time wide players and not much threat from his full backs. His route to goal will be more central and this approach clogs it up, while still retaining my superiority out wide. Between these two, they'll squeeze space for Riquelme to operate in. When he does get the ball, one of them will be on him with the other free to buffer against his other midfielders moving forward. Breitner did operate as a fullback early in his career, but was always a maverick moving up and dictating play on his own. He will certainly do that much better being actually in the midfield here. I fully expect him to make plays when we have the ball.

Totti is fine at Inside Left. Has has played left wing in a 4-3-3 under Zeman, though he is not playing that role here. Here he's still a left sided AM who has a freedom to drift. Ballack is a CM and in a deeper central position and so will not be in the same space as Totti. When defending Ballack will drop back and Totti will move into central spaces. When we attack, Totti moves slightly to the left giving flexibility to link with Brehme or open space for a running in Ballack.

Skizzo

Again, at the risk of posting without reading the thread and knowing the reasons for the change... this absolutely!

Totti was in his element in the previous line up, now he's nothing more than being on the periphery. And he's not one to easily and happily adapt to such a role, there'll be a moan or two in the dressing room.

Funny thing is the first draft I played, organised and won on Redcafe over 4 years ago, I had Totti in the exact same role in the final. :lol: But back then, in the newbs it was just names, no tactics or other stuff, so I got away with it. :D
Ahh the newbie drafts where you could throw up a team sheet and come back a day later to see if you won.

Skizzo

You could say that. Skizzo only has part time wide players and not much threat from his full backs. His route to goal will be more central and this approach clogs it up, while still retaining my superiority out wide. Between these two, they'll squeeze space for Riquelme to operate in. When he does get the ball, one of them will be on him with the other free to buffer against his other midfielders moving forward. Breitner did operate as a fullback early in his career, but was always a maverick moving up and dictating play on his own. He will certainly do that much better being actually in the midfield here. I fully expect him to make plays when we have the ball.

Totti is fine at Inside Left. Has has played left wing in a 4-3-3 under Zeman, though he is not playing that role here. Here he's still a left sided AM who has a freedom to drift. Ballack is a CM and in a deeper central position and so will not be in the same space as Totti. When defending Ballack will drop back and Totti will move into central spaces. When we attack, Totti moves slightly to the left giving flexibility to link with Brehme or open space for a running in Ballack.
Putting Ballack in for Emerson only clogs your own side up. You e essentially taken away the player tasked with keeping Riquelme quiet...and put another player into the same area as Totti :houllier:

You've just opened things up for me offensively,

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

The reason for change was that nobody rated Emerson and the default view was that Riquelme will get the better. So he needed to go.

Totti has not been moved to the wing. It's not a 4-3-3. He is operating in the Inside Left channels with full freedom to drift to middle. Ballack's usual position is deeper in the midfield and I certainly don't see them operating in the same space. Pirri now has a headache having to deal with Totti moving in from the left and Ballack from the deep. One of other will definitely score/assist.

Moby

Dick
The reason for change was that nobody rated Emerson and the default view was that Riquelme will get the better. So he needed to go.

Totti has not been moved to the wing. It's not a 4-3-3. He is operating in the Inside Left channels with full freedom to drift to middle. Ballack's usual position is deeper in the midfield and I certainly don't see them operating in the same space. Pirri now has a headache having to deal with Totti moving in from the left and Ballack from the deep. One of other will definitely score/assist.
That will work with a lot of other central players but not this one. Things need to go through Totti, he has to be at the heart of it, not drift in at times, or anything, and that is how he is wired. He won't accept those instructions, he doesn't have the required mobility or the work ethic to do it anyway. It's a really bad use of him, not unseen earlier.

Believe it or not, as soon as I saw your team I thought, finally Totti is being used properly, in his element with the team built around him, with players happy to work for him to recover the ball, move it forward and let him get on with his job and two deadly strikers in front of him waiting for his passes, or always happily being available to pass and move, 1-2s, swift interchange, everything.

It is a completely weird setup now, you also have Ballack occupying the central area where he likes to drive forward, and that is just not going to work with Totti. I don't know who underrated Emerson, and Ballack while obviously being a superior name doesn't provide the balance Emerson did. With one move you have limited the influence of all three of Effenberg, Breitner and Totti, all of three were in their element before. It doesn't make much sense to me honestly, I pointed out the same as soon as you posted that line up in the main thread. It is simply a poor understanding of how Totti operates, if you believe he will be a key influence on the game in that role, in comparison to the earlier setup.

VivaJanuzaj

@VivaJanuzaj change in formation:

Substitution:
The underrated Emerson is replaced with Michael Ballack.

Tactics:
Effenberg and Breitner have shifted a little deeper to shore up the defence. Between the two of them they'll have the tactical nous and workrate to shut out attacking threats.

The gap in attacking workload due to above has been taken on by Ballack. Physically strong with a commanding presence and a great passing range, Ballack will add steel to the midfield. His late runs into the box will be difficult to track and he brings an added goal threat to the team.

Totti will shift a little bit towards the Inside Left channel to accommodate Ballack. It's a role he has played before and is quite comfortable. It also helps him link up more easily with Brehme. He still has a free drifting role and his pace and movement will cause more confusion for Pirri who needs to contend with Ballack and his runs.

50s
Kalle
Breitner
Augenthaler

60s
Effenberg
Brehme

70s
Shevchenko
Totti
Ballack
Sagnol

80s
Mexes
done

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Just read up on the whole thread.

Yeah, not a fan of the sub either. Bit of a blunder, actually, for my money. Don't understand it from a draft tactical point of view either, as Edgar was - and still is - leading here.

Too much made of Mexes, IMO. It's "peak", after all. He wasn't that bad for Roma (which means all those Milan quotes are nothing but propaganda on Skizzo's part). He's the worst defender on the pitch, no question about it, but he isn't a pub player.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
That will work with a lot of other central players but not this one. Things need to go through Totti, he has to be at the heart of it, not drift in at times, or anything, and that is how he is wired. He won't accept those instructions, he doesn't have the required mobility or the work ethic to do it anyway. It's a really bad use of him, not unseen earlier.
Not sure why, considering he has been operating in multiple positions all through his career. Lone CF, SS, IF, AM, he has pretty much been through the cycle. The flexibility which Totti offers over a standard #10 is now considered to be a liability?