All Time Chain Draft Round 1 EAP vs Skizzo

With players at their peaks, who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VivaJanuzaj

Just read up on the whole thread.

Yeah, not a fan of the sub either. Bit of a blunder, actually, for my money. Don't understand it from a draft tactical point of view either, as Edgar was - and still is - leading here.

Too much made of Mexes, IMO. It's "peak", after all. He wasn't that bad for Roma (which means all those Milan quotes are nothing but propaganda on Skizzo's part). He's the worst defender on the pitch, no question about it, but he isn't a pub player.
He wasn't bad at all, but he wasn't in a level to stop that attack.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I voted on initial tactics/lineups. Have flipped my vote after reading pages 2-3. Gone with Skizzo.

Moby

Dick
Not sure why, considering he has been operating in multiple positions all through his career. Lone CF, SS, IF, AM, he has pretty much been through the cycle. The flexibility which Totti offers over a standard #10 is now considered to be a liability?
Mate it is more about his mentality and what he expects from the setup than his tactical positioning. a) he's not effective out wide, whatever role it is, and b) he has to be the alpha. main man, heart of the team, whatever you want to call it. The minute he hears his gaffer uttering the words "attacking workload taken up by Michael Ballack" he will feck off. simple as. He's just not your selfless professional Juan Mata-esque number 10 who will happily continue doing his job while others take the headlines, far far from that. I won't even call it an ego, it is just what brings the best out of him, and only that does.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He wasn't bad at all, but he wasn't in a level to stop that attack.
Not saying he was. But he's being portrayed as an utter clown here. He isn't that. Just somewhat shy of the required standard.

Charles, on his part, is largely overrated on here, IMO. His immense presence in the box isn't something he'd keep up in a modern setting. Not that he'd be out of his depth or anything of the sort, but he wouldn't dominate to the extent which made him unplayable back in the day.

I buy the combo, though - excellent combo.

Skizzo

Just read up on the whole thread.

Yeah, not a fan of the sub either. Bit of a blunder, actually, for my money. Don't understand it from a draft tactical point of view either, as Edgar was - and still is - leading here.

Too much made of Mexes, IMO. It's "peak", after all. He wasn't that bad for Roma (which means all those Milan quotes are nothing but propaganda on Skizzo's part). He's the worst defender on the pitch, no question about it, but he isn't a pub player.
Yeah I'm making a point of Mexes being there, and the Milan quotes were still including the type of player he is. Rash, hot headed, and struggles with players quicker than him, and bigger and stronger. He's up against both types here.

And no, he's not a pub player, but in this company he might as well be.

Skizzo

Not saying he was. But he's being portrayed as an utter clown here. He isn't that. Just somewhat shy of the required standard.

Charles, on his part, is largely overrated on here, IMO. His immense presence in the box isn't something he'd keep up in a modern setting. Not that he'd be out of his depth or anything of the sort, but he wouldn't dominate to the extent which made him unplayable back in the day.

I buy the combo, though - excellent combo.
I think Charles is often quite underrated here, and seen as strictly a big guy in the box. Far from it, and his goal record speaks for itself across his career, and that's even spending time in defense.

I was quite pleased with the combo though :p

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
:lol: Edgar that is a horror sub. You went from leading by 2-3 to trailing by 1. The only way your side works is as how you lined up.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I look at EAP's side - Damn! Great diamond.
Aye, completely agree. What the feck has he done? It was near perfect bar the horrible Mexes pick.

Totti roaming around behind those two looked droolworthy.

His formation looks stupid now. I'm guessing he can't revert back to his old one?

If not, I'd be tempted to go back to a diamond and play Effenberg slightly deeper at the base. Effenberg was a great passer and well suited to pinging the ball around from there.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
If not, I'd be tempted to go back to a diamond and play Effenberg slightly deeper at the base. Effenberg was a great passer and well suited to pinging the ball around from there.
This. Bayern Effenberg was not hugely mobile in any case, he'd be fine sitting there keeping tabs on Riquelme.

diarm

Yeah that's definitely better EAP. Obviously Effenberg isn't going to be as effective against Riquelme but Ballack will possibly be more effective in that role than Effenberg was and at least Totti is back in business!

Skizzo

So you've effectively gone back to something resembling an original line up...but having weakened it, and done exactly what you tried to criticize earlier in the thread.

, From what I read Pirri was a Centre Midfielder in the mould of Effenberg or Keane, a good box-to-box player. I certainly don;t think he can pay the pivot for a diamond letting Del Sol and Lucha free. I would reckon it's the same as playing Keane there, can do a decent job, but certainly not even close to peak performance. Emerson is a far better fit there and would be much more influential in this game.
And it's not misdirection. You keep selling Pirri as a DM when his career was mostly as a box-to-box. Yes, all B2B's are defensively sound, but that doesn't mean they can fit at the base of a diamond, can they?
there's not much change to the way Effenberg and Breitner operate. Their strength is box-to-box and they'll continue doing that. Just like Keane or Vieira this change should in fact make it better for them to control the midfield.
If you don't even know what you're doing, or your best line up/players....how the hell are they supposed to know what to do on the field?

Skizzo

My team was superior most of the match. And still is. I overestimated voter reaction to Emerson and that is now rectified.
Debatable. You started with your best formation, took off your only DM, pushed Totti wide and pissed him off to accommodate someone else, then moved them back and now have Effenberg in a position and role that you yourself said he wouldn't be suited to.

That'll translate well to their in game instructions and be good for their confidence.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
What a terrible terrible sub, and there I was telling @Cal? the killer for his team was missing out on De Rossi or Emerson...

Bollocks, Michael Bollocks, at Skizzo's service

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Debatable. You started with your best formation, took off your only DM, pushed Totti wide and pissed him off to accommodate someone else, then moved them back and now have Effenberg in a position and role that you yourself said he wouldn't be suited to.

That'll translate well to their in game instructions and be good for their confidence.
It's not like teams have never changed formation/tactics interim before! And I still have better attacking outlets than you.

Skizzo

It's not like teams have never changed formation/tactics interim before! And I still have better attacking outlets than you.
Well you weakened your overall team, and I still have the biggest mismatch in the game by far in my favour.

And that still doesn't negate the fact that you've been all over the place with your formations, tactics, and personnel.

Mani

Skizzo

EAP what did you done there,not the fan of that sub.Your previous team barring Mexes was fine but now your are leaving too much space for slow poking Riquelme work his magic.
To be fair, he has switched again back to a diamond...but I don't think it's as strong as his original one.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
:lol:

To be fair, he has switched again back to a diamond...but I don't think it's as strong as his original one.
I'm actually not sure that's true. A younger Effenberg can certainly make life difficult for Riquelme and Ballack was a fantastic CM. Don't think there's much in it and those Germans all around the center will give you a tough match. The original diamond looked like a more natural fit though, no doubt about that. Either way, the brainfart in the middle certainly deserves some sort of award from antohan.

Mani

:lol:
Change in vote now would look harsh, especially when you are comfortable winning this.