All-time Fantasy Draft - antohan v NM

Who will win based on players in their prime, team tactics, balance & bench strength?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Can't respond to all of that it though I'll say that you haven't really convinced me that Beckenbauer will have anything like the impact he is capabale of in the game. Why would Boniek have to cover a defensive RB (when Stoichkov and Rivelino are busy thinking about Varela and Neeskens) but Beckenbauer doesn't need to cover his attacking LB (who has a constant threat on his side, not someone matched against the oppositions central midfielders)?

I think you often take people's formations or descriptions extremely literally so you should expect it in return. Fair enough, now you have gone some way to explaining 'basic counter attacking play' which helps but you needed to say it, came too late to win my vote unfortunately but I'm not entirely convinced by it anyway.

Another reason why I went against you is because your tactics and particularly some of your attacking methods seems convoluted, difficult for the opponents to grasp (the opposing CBS are more than capable however) but also difficult for your team to implement, I can see you having some nice passages of play but it not really all coming together to produce a goal (or enough goals to win). In contrast NMs team is cohesive and easy to understand, the players can understand the systems etc. I know your painting Varela as some retard who wouldn't last a moment in the modern environment (has this even been decided? That all games are being played in modern times?) but his job is fairly simple from my point of view.

Fergus' son

The fundamental difference is that Cutch explained very clearly that he had positioned them in a 4-4-1-1 because he wanted them to make runs from deep. He wanted them to make themselves constantly available around that area. It made an awful lot of sense since his midfield were already under enough pressure and you couldn't expect Redondo to ALSO keep pinging Hollywood passes to them.

A crucial difference though is that at no point did Cutch try to imply they were getting involved or contributing much to the midfield battle, which you do. He was asking them to be in the immediacy, making themselves available for a simple pass, not getting them stuck in the thick of it.

I don't think that suits either player at all. I have not questioned their quality but how they are being used. Again, I know Boniek inside out and some will say I bummed him excessively in the 50s draft. You are not utilising him to the best of his abilities though, he was only nominally a winger in fairness.

I'm still waiting to hear how you plan to use him: the European Juve setup or the Serie A Juve setup. Right now you are doing neither, mind.
All that's been said of Blokhin as far as I can see is saying that he 'would put a shift in'. That's fine and doesn't imply anything more than that IMO, to question his positioning and not Bests yesterday is clear bias.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Antohan himself in a thread about 3 months ago said the best possible centre back partnership of all time was either Passarella/Figueroa or Scirea/Baresi.
Working off best from Europe and South America, indeed. If there was no continental restriction Figueroa would be the only oen I would take from South America to form a pair. You are even using my own posted video :lol:

I stand by that. What I take issue with though is your assigning an attacking/charge forward role to Passarella in this game, against these forwards and midfield. I reckon it's a disaster waiting to happen. As said, no better guy than Figueroa to cover, but if outnumbered because the other chap has buggered off and taking ages to get back after losing possession, he won't be able to cope.

Let's be clear, the only players of yours I have downplayed (and given reasons for) are Varela as a complete misfit in this side and Zamora as a keeper who would struggle with modern balls, surfaces and bigger goals. The latter people are free to make allowances for, I would disagree but understand. The former is very clearly laid out and I stand by. You should bring on Cole and Tardelli really. I know you don't want to do it, but realisticall you should. Or you can choose to ignore it all and insist it is bollocks and not make a substitution which you actually can do and makes sense to do.

Everything else is entirely about players being out of position or receiving instructions from you that seem completely wrong to me.

antohan

Why would Boniek have to cover a defensive RB (when Stoichkov and Rivelino are busy thinking about Varela and Neeskens)
Are you kidding me? You are bringing a situation where I have the ball and one where I don't and finding ti illogical that they coexist. Of course it is illogical. If I have the ball Stoichkov and Rivelino couldn't give two shits about Neeskens and Varela, it is in that situation that Boniek is covering Thuram, not when I don't have the ball obviously.

I can see you having some nice passages of play but it not really all coming together to produce a goal (or enough goals to win). In contrast NMs team is cohesive and easy to understand, the players can understand the systems etc.
Agree to disagree I guess. I'm asking my players to do stuff they did exceptionally well throughout their careers. If anything, I may sound convoluted because I seem to be having to explain even basic counterattacking play to win votes. In the meantime NMs team looks simple because there is no clarity or actual explanation of how it works. Why? Because they don't know the players well enough quite frankly.

I get picked up on "if so is doing this, who is doing that" and provide ample and detailed explanations, which lead to more question and even obvious misunderstandings like your earlier post on Boniek covering Thuram.

In the meantime, they get away with placing Blokhin and Boniek in central midfield, saying they will get stuck in but also be part of an awesome front four, which allows them to stick Pelé up there and not go into much detail on how he contributes a shift in midfield because, well, you know, it wouldn't be that popular for people to think Pelé is anywhere but upfront and scoring.

It's quite ridiculous really.

antohan

All that's been said of Blokhin as far as I can see is saying that he 'would put a shift in'. That's fine and doesn't imply anything more than that IMO, to question his positioning and not Bests yesterday is clear bias.
No it is not. Bias is to be so vague about what your team is doing that you can keep saying they are doing completely different and conflicting things. Leave stuff to the imagination, don't get tied up in a losing argument, blame the concept of a teamsheet being so rigid, etc.

Cutch was extremely clear on his deployment of Best and even in the depths of people questioning his midfield's ability to keep up he never once started fecking about with the notion of Best putting a shift anywhere other than tearing a new arsehole into Brehme the moment he got the ball.

I actually took notice of that and it was one of the things that made me go for him, no doubt. Managers who know what they can and can't expect from their players and how to utilise them to their best abilities will always get brownie points in my book. Not that Brwned didn't, but the way Cutch didn't buckle up and lose the plot when under enormous pressure was outstanding. The most he did was mention Figo might help a bit, which in that understated way was quite true.

Fergus' son

Ok, your being silly, Blokhin and Boniek are wingers just as Best and Figo were for Cutch.

Of course Boniek is covering Thuram when you have the ball, and when NM has the ball Boniek is attacking and Beckenbauer will have to cover Fachetti just as Boniek is doing for Thuram. This negates you saying 'Fachetti requires no significant cover'. If Thuram needs cover then so does Fachetti, probably more as he is attacking whilst Thuram isn't.

So again, why does Fachetti require no significant cover, but Thuram does, when both have significant threats to address?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Interesting match-up. I'd expect some delightful interplay between Antohan's front five - their sharp, short passing would carve open almost any defence in the draft. At the same time, NM's back four is immense: probably the best component of any team in the last 8. There's a pragmatism about NM's XI that recognises the attacking quality that Antohan possesses, but nevertheless provides plenty of threat on the counter through Blokhin, Boniek, Pele and Rummenige. Realistically that's the only way NM would win this. Antohan's team is less pragmatic, a little top-heavy, but would still likely dominate possession and get a foothold of territory. I'm not convinced that Anto has quite nailed the balance in this one.

Fergus' son

No it is not. Bias is to be so vague about what your team is doing that you can keep saying they are doing completely different and conflicting things. Leave stuff to the imagination, don't get tied up in a losing argument, blame the concept of a teamsheet being so rigid, etc.

Cutch was extremely clear on his deployment of Best and even in the depths of people questioning his midfield's ability to keep up he never once started fecking about with the notion of Best putting a shift anywhere other than tearing a new arsehole into Brehme the moment he got the ball.

I actually took notice of that and it was one of the things that made me go for him, no doubt. Managers who know what they can and can't expect from their players and how to utilise them to their best abilities will always get brownie points in my book. Not that Brwned didn't, but the way Cutch didn't buckle his ideas when under enormous pressure was outstanding.
I'm not asking why you voted for Cutch, I'm asking why you say Blokhin and Boniek are in central midfield when the op has described them as wingers (exactly what Cutch did).

Your first paragraph is a bit petty, you know one manager is ill and the other is busy. Fair enough if you want to use things stemming from those reason to aid your victory.

antohan

Ok, your being silly, Blokhin and Boniek are wingers just as Best and Figo were for Cutch.

Of course Boniek is covering Thuram when you have the ball, and when NM has the ball Boniek is attacking and Beckenbauer will have to cover Fachetti just as Boniek is doing for Thuram. This negates you saying 'Fachetti requires no significant cover'. If Thuram needs cover then so does Fachetti, probably more as he is attacking whilst Thuram isn't.

So again, why does Fachetti require no significant cover, but Thuram does, when both have significant threats to address?
Precisely because Thuram isn't attacking? That leaves Facchetti one on one with Boniek. Why would he need cover other than very basic cover from the guys who have stayed back (that's four guys staying back to look after Kalle, Pelé and, possibly, Blokhin)? He would need to make recovery runs, but Boniek starts from the same starting position not way behind his back. Both had blistering pace and quite an engine. It would be fascinating to see them going up and down all day.

Fergus' son

Precisely because Thuram isn't attacking? That leaves Facchetti one on one with Boniek. Why would he need cover other than very basic cover from the guys who have stayed back (that's four guys staying back to look after Kalle, Pelé and, possibly, Blokhin)? He would need to make recovery runs, but Boniek starts from the same starting position not way behind his back. Both had blistering pace and quite an engine. It would be fascinating to see them going up and down all day.
I meant Fachetti is an attacking full back whilst Thuram isn't, Thuram would still attack though obviously, he was good at it too.

Also, what would happen if NM recovered possession when Fachetti was caught up the pitch?

antohan

I'm not asking why you voted for Cutch, I'm asking why you say Blokhin and Boniek are in central midfield when the op has described them as wingers (exactly what Cutch did).
Because they are not placed the same way, much more central, much more flat-lining, and Cutch made a point of explaining exactly how they were playing.

Your first paragraph is a bit petty, you know one manager is ill and the other is busy. Fair enough if you want to use things stemming from those reason to aid your victory.
Previous games indicate that makes no difference. I am not trying to exploit anything at all, I've tried to accommodate NM as much as possible, it's not my fault he is ill though and it is clear you are somewhat holding that against me, which I resent.

In fact, the outcome of all this kick-off time feckup, all induced by trying to accommodate NM, is I am the one going offline, right now, for the remainder of the game.

Hopefully Aldo can deal with the extensive additional bullshit that will no doubt be posted in my absence.

Fergus' son

Ah poor you, I'm not holding anything against you by the way.

antohan

Also, what would happen if NM recovered possession when Fachetti was caught up the pitch?
I've just pointed out Boniek would be right by him. Yes, Kalle can drift wide, but so will his marker alongside him. Rijkaard has Pelé. Beckenabuer/Zanetti and Ferdinand for whatever is left (likely Blokhin).

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
How am i gettin dragged into this :lol:

Gio's summed the match up pretty well i think. Really like NM's back four, probably is the strongest in the draft, and his 2 up top obviously. Think Anto's centre midfield couldn't be any stronger but. Not sure who's gettin more out of wide areas, NM would appear to have more genuine width, but Laudrup and Stoitchkov are class acts. Might have to read up a bit more on Blokhin and Boniek before voting.

antohan

On Boniek

Christ, looks like I'm the only one who bothers write on these threads. Gotta go. Delighted with the win, but posting this on Boniek I had prepared for you guys since I kept banging on about wingers and their roles and no one seemed fussed or aware boniek needed explaining (I guess few have seen him enough).

Not sure who's gettin more out of wide areas, NM would appear to have more genuine width, but Laudrup and Stoitchkov are class acts. Might have to read up a bit more on Blokhin and Boniek before voting.
This is what I can’t understand. You shouldn’t need to read about them. Profiles should give you a fairly accurate idea or else the manager should make it clear how the player’s attributes are being utilised.

Any hyperbole you read about Boniek will be true, I can tell you that now, the issue though is that different managers at different clubs kept deploying him differently and not quite working out how to best use an evidently very talented player.

The way he has been deployed here is one such case. Since no one has taken up the challenge of explaining the difference between Boniek’s European and domestic performances for Europe, I shall do it.

Boniek was nicknamed “Il bello di note” (Beauty at night) a somewhat backhanded compliment on his amazing midweek European nights being of a much higher standard than his daylight Serie A weekend games.

It wasn’t him being a big game player alone or inconsistent. In fact, I think he was every bit as effective in Serie A, just not the one who would get on the scoresheet, maybe not even the assist charts, but a crucial player for that Juve side nonetheless.

Let’s start with one thing, he was an AM/FW who could be effective across the frontline but you couldn’t quite assign him a specific place or role, there isn’t any similar player I can think of that he could be compared to either. He certainly was not an out and out winger in the traditional sense. He popped up everywhere, to the extent that in the 50s game I was close to posting a teamsheet with Boniek shirts in every place I expected him to show up. It was very crowded and people would have rightly asked why I had so many players on the pitch, it being a ruse, etc.

In your average Serie A game Juve was the far superior side, they took the initiative and kept their opponents constantly on the backfoot. They faced tight Italian defences defending for their lives, i.e. there wasn’t much space. A player like Boniek with no space to attack is unlikely to shine or score. What Boniek did do was to use his pace, stamina and insane workrate to patrol the entire frontline back and forth, all the time, tirelessly. I keep referring to him as “a Duracell bunny gone berserk” and to this day I haevn’t seen anyone offer a more apt description. Where this was hugely beneficial to Juve was not in him scoring or even assisting, but dragging defenders all over the place. He was nominally a left winger yet it made no sense to say the fullback was keeping tabs on him because he very rarely was in his area of influence. He thus required zonal marking, but the problem was he created such a constant state of confusion that sooner or later his zone’s marker would be dragged away just about enough to create the space for the likes of Rossi or Platini to steal in and score. It is pretty much the role assigned in my vs. Brwned 50s final teamsheet (notice how completely different that looks from the chap being on the halfway line so you have to assume that is NOT what he was doing here, surely).

In important European games though Juve weren’t as gung-ho, particularly when playing away. They would play in a much more conservative way, which makes sense in a knockout competition! It was defence first, and while Platini sometimes even seemed like a bonafide striker in Serie A, in Europe he pretty much sank into central midfield and acted as a deep-lying playmaker for large portions of the game. In that setup there were usually acres of space to exploit and no one better than Boniek to do so! It was indeed those Hollywood balls by Platini and irrepressible runs by Boniek which resulted in his most memorable goals and significant contributions to Juve’s European success. That’s the way he was deployed in the teamsheet for the game vs. Gio, with Schuster acting as Platini.

Which of these versions of Boniek would work in this game? The Serie A one, no doubt. And that’s precisely why I pointed out Vasovic-Ferdinand was a good pair: excellent game readers and positional players who won’t be fooled into committing themselves and leaving someone else utterly free. You don’t need a stopper to stop Boniek, much the opposite.

But no, he was called “a winger” and placed in midfield, specifically for the purpose of making that midfield look more solid/dominant. As a winger he wasn’t as special. He didn’t cross too much, preferring to dribble his way through and more often than not ended up running his way into dispossession. He did have incredible pace, stamina and workrate so you would see him track back and forth all day long, no question about it, never again seen a player be as all over the pitch as Boniek, ever.

The mention of Rooney earlier though is quite appropriate for comparison. He puts a shift and sometimes you see him end up covering at left back. Everyone would agree that is one of his huge contributions to the side, while lamenting those additional contributions sometimes mean he is not as available and effective upfront.

Same with Boniek where he was placed, there’s no question he would end up embroiled in a wing-back job going back and forth with Facchetti in one of the key duels of the game. It would help reduce the impact of Facchetti, surely, but would be a losing battle. Facchetti is obviously the better defender, however much application Boniek puts into the job, but was also the more effective wide threat since he offered better crosses and his goalscoring record was a match for Boniek’s (actually Facchetti’s peak record is marginally better)...
The one thing I was worried about in this game was not Pelé, I had that as reasonably covered as I could and there was feck all else I could do about it. It wasn’t Rummenigge, despite him certainly being an awesome centre-forward. It certainly wasn’t Blokhin vs. Zanetti. No, it was Boniek across the frontline unsettling my defence. Of course I demanded to be told how he was playing. It made all the difference as far as I'm concerned.

Thisistheone

A good win Anto and interesting post on Boniek. I'd heard he was called 'Beautiful at Night' by the Juv owner but just assumed it was down to not being as interested in small serie A games on a sunday as the blockbuster nights in Europe. Now I know better.

See you in the Semi's ....maybe.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
(...)Boniek(...)
Thanks for the write-up, Antohan. I haven't seen much of Boniek myself, so I can't really comment on him. Your explanation somehow reminds me a lot of Thomas Müller, who's outstanding starting out wide on the right side, but constantly runs at the defense, not only to find open space for himself, but also to drag defenders out of the way for other players or at least confuse them so the other attacking players have an advantage. His contribution in games where he isn't directly involved in scoring is still huge, but often underappreciated by media and fans. Not only is he great at scoring (goals+assists) ,even more he makes everyone around him look like a better player. I'm not sure if it's really comparable to Boniek, "Duracell bunny gone beserk" sounds over the top for Müller, but his off the ball movement is from a different planet, unbelievable smart. I've never seen anything comparable in football. Lots of players have great movement to get themselves into great scoring positions (Ronaldo, Reus), some others find open space with smart movement to receive the ball and create (Iniesta, Özil, for example) but no one runs without the ball to actually create space for others all the time.

Any idea where I can watch those Juventus league games with him as the "Duracell bunny gone berserk"? Would love to watch those games. Probably more interesting to me than his games in europe.

Skorenzy

Thanks for the write-up, Antohan. I haven't seen much of Boniek myself, so I can't really comment on him. Your explanation somehow reminds me a lot of Thomas Müller, who's outstanding starting out wide on the right side, but constantly runs at the defense, not only to find open space for himself, but also to drag defenders out of the way for other players or at least confuse them so the other attacking players have an advantage. His contribution in games where he isn't directly involved in scoring is still huge, but often underappreciated by media and fans. Not only is he great at scoring (goals+assists) ,even more he makes everyone around him look like a better player. I'm not sure if it's really comparable to Boniek, "Duracell bunny gone beserk" sounds over the top for Müller, but his off the ball movement is from a different planet, unbelievable smart. I've never seen anything comparable in football. Lots of players have great movement to get themselves into great scoring positions (Ronaldo, Reus), some others find open space with smart movement to receive the ball and create (Iniesta, Özil, for example) but no one runs without the ball to actually create space for others all the time.

Any idea where I can watch those Juventus league games with him as the "Duracell bunny gone berserk"? Would love to watch those games. Probably more interesting to me than his games in europe.

Pedro. Or as he's nicknamed by some Barça fans, "Roadrunner".

Fergus' son

Well done Anto, hope you didn't mind me arguing my point of view so much, the thread was a bit dead and needed a bit of pushing along!

Great post on Boniek by the way, that's what these drafts are all about. Unlucky NM and theon, you had a great team!

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Yes, true. Pedro is playing a somewhat comparable role for Barca. Though, I always get the feeling Pedro is more about hard work, he's doing what he's been told by the coach, great tactical discipline. Müller is more creative in what he does, he's reading the game and makes decisions depending on the flow of the game by himself. Not sure Pedro would work just as well outside of that Barca/Spain team while I'm sure Müller could start for any team in the world. Guardiola named Müller when asked what player outside of Barca he'd like to play for his team.

Skorenzy

Yes, true. Pedro is playing a somewhat comparable role for Barca. Though, I always get the feeling Pedro is more about hard work, he's doing what he's been told by the coach, great tactical discipline. Müller is more creative in what he does, he's reading the game and makes decisions depending on the flow of the game by himself. Not sure Pedro would work just as well outside of that Barca/Spain team while I'm sure Müller could start for any team in the world. Guardiola named Müller when asked what player outside of Barca he'd like to play for his team.

Yeah, I'd rate Müller slightly above Pedro (when both at their peaks), but at the moment Müller is widening that gap because he's consistently making game-changing plays while Pedro is performing his tasks but offers little extra (although he's been improving since the new year). In general, Müller also has a wider range of passing IMO.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Yes, I agree. Buying Sanchez and trying to fit him into the team did hurt Pedro, as well, imo. Still young though, great player and easily good enough to start for a european top team. I really love players like him. That's why I'm really interested in watching more of Boniek.

Skorenzy

Yes, I agree. Buying Sanchez and trying to fit him into the team did hurt Pedro, as well, imo. Still young though, great player and easily good enough to start for a european top team. I really love players like him. That's why I'm really interested in watching more of Boniek.
In his performance against Belgium in the '82 WC he displayed a wide array of finishing, while also appearing everywhere on the pitch.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Thanks, will try to watch that game.

antohan

Glad so many of you enjoyed it, great little player.

No time now but will get back to this when I return.

NM

Damn - only lost by 3 votes! Thought this would be a walkover with me not around. I will read the game thread and post some thoughts soon. Good game Antohan, and good luck going forward.

NM

Anto - no offense. But you talked a load of absolute dogshit in this thread. I really want to just pull up the stuff you wrote about players when they are in your team, and then what you write when they are in the opposition team. I might do it later, but won't be online much for some time I think

Anyway, good game. You delayed the game for me, so I can't complain. Hope you do well in the semis.

Thanks to Fergusson and Theon for defending my team.

antohan

Anto - no offense. But you talked a load of absolute dogshit in this thread. I really want to just pull up the stuff you wrote about players when they are in your team, and then what you write when they are in the opposition team. I might do it later, but won't be online much for some time I think
Go for it. The only players I've had from your team are Passarella, which I explained earlier the tactical difference, and Boniek who I haven't criticised at any point.

Throughout my issue has been with how you USE your players, not with their quality.

Anyway, good game. You delayed the game for me, so I can't complain. Hope you do well in the semis.
Have you got yourself checked up? Getting better?

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Deserved win for antohan, great team

antohan

Thanks for the write-up, Antohan. I haven't seen much of Boniek myself, so I can't really comment on him. Your explanation somehow reminds me a lot of Thomas Müller
Haven't actually seen much of him recently but I have noticed in the past he did that sort of thing. He has the skill and the selflessness about him, probably not the neverending stamina and way more structured (and thus statistically efficient) in his approach. Boniek was truly chaotic at times, for the untrained one-off eye you would think he was all over the shop.

That's one consideration I didn't even try to bother get into here but Platini had him sussed, whether as a lone runner upfront or gap-creator across the forntline. Pelé was an admirer of Boniek, but I'm not sure they would have worked that well in this game. Pelé was a freak of nature, had everything that is great about Brazilians and Germans all in one package. The flair and imagination... in a ruthlessly efficient machine. Would he make good use of him or would he have preferred to rely on more predictable/functional partners? He certainly preferred playing with Jairzinho over Garrincha.

Maybe Brwned can point you in the right direction for links. What I'm describing is based on my memories of watching Juve back then, no idea where you could find 80s Serie A on the net but there must be a few.

Well done Anto, hope you didn't mind me arguing my point of view so much, the thread was a bit dead and needed a bit of pushing along!
No worries, would have preferred it if it was done earlier when I was siting around waiting for feedback, not a flurry of questions when I was close to logging off! I spent the next 12 hours or so assuming I was getting a hiding!

In his performance against Belgium in the '82 WC he displayed a wide array of finishing, while also appearing everywhere on the pitch.
Great game for him that. There was loads of space and he was their main man, so not exactly the same as how he would play at Juve, but a great one to watch and appreciate him nevertheless. And that surely has to be on the web somewhere.

I owe you a reply to your feedback PM. Will get to that as soon as I'm back, just getting a few minutes allowed by the wife to track the Everton game in its closing stages!

antohan

Deserved win for antohan, great team
Mate, watched "Montevideo, Bog te video" last week. Loved it, best footie-related flick I've seen in years.

All, the international title where I would expect English subtitles (or voiceover) is "Montevideo, Taste of a Dream". It's about the efforts to get the Yugoslavian NT to the first World Cup.

Cracking film, provides an acuurate picture of how hard it was to get international football off the ground, how reliant it was on visionary men to put their neck/finances on the line to make it happen, etc. Add to that how you get BSK and FC Yugoslavia players to get on and play as a team (modern version: Partizan and Red Star, similar to the problem Spain had with Barca/Madrid). Then there's newly-formed Yugoslavia's own internal issues...

Don't want to give away too much but football, history, politics come together in a very interesting and entertaining film with some characters you can really relate to. Briliant, must watch.