All-time Fantasy Draft - antohan v Thisistheone

Who will win based on players in their prime, team tactics, balance & bench strength?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
At the same time, Antohan lacks some natural attacking width and while his full-backs are first rate, ultimately they cannot be at both ends of a flank at the same time. I wonder if Anto has considered a 4-2-3-1 with Iniesta, Pele and Laudrup behind Henry.
I have, I actually told Aldo the one below is the team I would pay the most money to watch, but not the best one the way I expected TITO to set himself up (Irwin at right back screams for Henry and Iniesta to have a go).

With Maradona the only reasonable addition in mind I also wanted to gage people's views on Pelé the striker as opposed to Pelé the orchestrator. Apparently not very positive despite his goalscoring exploits.

I've mentioned his stunning record as a 17 year old in 1958, but what about 1970? Who was Brazil's most credible threat in the box out of all those #10s on the pitch? 643 goals in 656 official games, that's some record for an 18-year long career. His early years as a striker? 66 in 46 in 1958, 62 in 38 in 1961...

Or just take his Libertadores and Intercontinental record: 24 goals in 18 games. That includes a hat-trick away to Benfica in Lisbon, a game where Eusebio scored just one goal.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
It really is wierd the number of views compared to the number of votes, can't understand it. Only thing is people might not feel they know all the players or something, though at this stage in the draft that is unlikely.

Maybe it's just a bunch of newbs racking up the view numbers.

antohan

It really is wierd the number of views compared to the number of votes, can't understand it. Only thing is people might not feel they know all the players or something, though at this stage in the draft that is unlikely.

Maybe it's just a bunch of newbs racking up the view numbers.
Probably right. Still odd as it hasn't been that quiet in the caf. I checked earlier and there were loads of previous voters/managers hanging around but they haven't voted.

You know the story, it's not the despair but the hope that kills you. I'm very much expecting a quiet night and 3-4 people randomly deciding it tomorrow at the last minute :nervous:

antohan

This has been dead for hours. Was hoping some disgruntled Arsenal fan may have got all emotional about the good ol' days with Thierry Henry, but nope.

Off to bed but before I do, I repeat:

• My back 7 can close out this game
  • TITO has a massive congestion going in the same central area where Maradona should have had room to operate and dictate from (Maradona, Cruyff, Charlton and Weah all likely to be operating in the same space)
  • There's no credible ball-winner bar Bremner. It's not enough. Without the ball, how can they hurt me? I have plenty of room to operate in and carve up his defence.
  • Irwin will get turned over and over again by Iniesta along with either Henry or Facchetti
  • The disparity in goalscoring potential and defensive capabilities in the box favours me, in both penalty areas. My CBs are better and my strikers more prolific.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
He wasn't very prolific at all. 2nd best season earned him 14 league goals. I think this one great season from him overshadows his career and paints him in an otherwise better picture. I'd have Nistelrooy over him despite the latter not having gained any personal rewards. But I do believe that had Weah been Dutch he wouldn't have either.

Still not sure about the cohesiveness of the attacking unit. It might not matter at all as one of the three could win the game on his own. Or maybe not. Beckenbauer could completely neutralize one of them for better or for worse. So for me it really comes down to the striker. The difference is very little. I wouldn't bet money on the game if this was real.
I tend to be massively biased towards mid-90s players but I agree with you about Weah. Eto'o would have been the better fit for me.

Thisistheone

Subs. To look and maintain our slender lead, Garrincha comes off for Luis Enrique, Irwin for Carlos Alberto and Weah, who's run his socks off, comes on for the fresh legs of Eto'o

Thisistheone

Time for Eto'o?

Think he suits the game more, goalscoring record at Barca is exceptional and with Maradona running things behind, plus the ridiculous service from Cruyff and Garrincha it means he's gonna get chances.
He's on but also looked to tighten things up a bit more with Luis Enrique who Antohan describes as "Keane with goals" so must rate him very highly.

Thisistheone

Enrique and Charlton the wrong way round on that graphic surely?
Yes. Enrique should be covering the right flank. The extra cover Garrincha obviously doesn't offer.

I know you're not voting Cutch, but what are your thoughts on this match?

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Yes. Enrique should be covering the right flank. The extra cover Garrincha obviously doesn't offer.

I know you're not voting Cutch, but what are your thoughts on this match?
Its certainly a tight one but think the changes you've made give you a more solid side than the one you had previous. As you've alluded to yourself the downside may be that you've lost a vote winner in Garrincha.

Not gonna give much away but of the 2 sides I think there is one I would possibly rather face. That's all i'm sayin for now :p

Thisistheone

Its certainly a tight one but think the changes you've made give you a more solid side than the one you had previous. As you've alluded to yourself the downside may be that you've lost a vote winner in Garrincha.

Not gonna give much away but of the 2 sides I think there is one I would possibly rather face. That's all i'm sayin for now :p
;)

Well played, you should be a politician. Agree about Garrincha, hope I don't lose votes now that he's departed.

antohan

Enrique and Charlton the wrong way round on that graphic surely?
Indeed, on paper. The problem is he would lack distribution in midfield. Thought he should have been playing Xabi Alonso in midfield all along with Charlton where Luis Enrique is now. That would have been the more solid side "in reality", but not a great vote winner.

I rate Enrique very highly indeed, but he is no out and out winger so, while before you had Cruyff, Maradona and Charlton down the centre with Garrincha out wide, you now have them AND Luis Enrique all operating in a very congested central channel.

It does the trick though in doing away with a glaring weakness you had on the left flank. I've been having joy there all day long, but no longer, so time for a change, on comes Hristo to reform the only stunningly effective partnership in this game with Laudrup and Pelé drops deep to jointly further beef up the midfield and approach play.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Thisistheone has just shoehorned a bunch of big names into one side, I can't see it working. Charlton as a defensive midfielder seems very odd, in particular.

As for antohan, wouldn't you be better off switching Stoichkov and Henry around, so the Frenchman can cut inside onto his right foot?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Thisistheone has just shoehorned a bunch of big names into one side, I can't see it working. Charlton as a defensive midfielder seems very odd, in particular.

As for antohan, wouldn't you be better off switching Stoichkov and Henry around, so the Frenchman can cut inside onto his right foot?
I think he meant to change Charlton/ Enrique...

antohan

I think he meant to change Charlton/ Enrique...
No, he didn't. The idea is Luis Enrique is there for his workrate and tracking back down the flank, which Charlton supposedly wouldn't do. As opposed to battling for the ball all game to help Bremner out, which I suppose he surely must have been?

Thisistheone

I brought the subs on to protect a lead. The idea was for Luis Enrique to offer extra cover to the midfield that Garrincha wouldn't while Charlton stays because I'll still need someone who is brilliant on the ball and to retain it, get it to Maradona or Cruyff for a counter attack, while Eto'o is fresh and running behind Anto's back line

Thisistheone

To offer my own version of Antohan's 'This match... THREAD in a nutshell'

• The teams come out & Thisistheone's men looked fired up after some negative words from the opposition manager in the press before kick off.
  • Antohan drops a bollock by starting the game with some strange 4222 formation which looks like a cross between a maths equation and spaghetti bolognese.
  • Hissy fit after the opening few minutes as Weah gets some personal abuse and Cruyff gets called an arrogant prick.
  • Slagging match between Antohan and some supporters
  • Formation change. Gone are all the arrows and Pelé now moves up top
  • Thisistheone officially becomes known as TITO
  • Subs come on to try and protect the slender lead
  • TITO also drops a bollock by doing this list...
  • and looks like another mistake by making subs as the lead is cut to 16-18 with Anto still to vote.

So it's still wide open. Squeaky bum time.

antohan

I discussed that with Aldo for the previous game and his view was few would know Stoichkov well enough, let alone see him as a striker despite his phenomenal scoring record and how at times he was indeed a striker for Barcelona and not his more usual forward running from deep/out wide.

Ultimately, it is Stoichkov's workrate I'm prioritising. Carlos Alberto provides an attacking threat so I want someone who will be determined to win the ball back and get stuck in.

The only place I can see TITO regularly recovering ball is at the back. The last thing I want is Carlos Alberto being given the ball to play it out of defence and having the freedom of the flank to progress and put one of his great balls in. Stoichkov will be onto him like a rash.

But, of course, based on Aldo's theory people won't see him as a striker, so they probably won't see the committed win-at-all-costs teamplayer he was.

antohan

To offer my own version of Antohan's 'This match in a nutshell'

So it's still wide open. Squeaky bum time.
Great summary, although it is more "the thread in a nutshell", very little to do with what has been going on on the pitch.

In fact, anyone who can't be arsed with 5 pages of rants should just read that! :lol:

Thisistheone

A lead? What lead? You've had a one vote lead at best for about 12 hours!
Well it feels like a lead, I've never been behind and at one point was about 5 or 6 votes clear so if that's not a slender 1-0 lead what is in these drafts?

Great summary, although it is more "the thread in a nutshell", very little to do with what has been going on on the pitch.

In fact, anyone who can't be arsed with 5 pages of rants should just read that! :lol:
True, I'll edit it to say thread and not match

antohan

Huge.

My first vote in ages. Onto 19...

F5 key is taking a hammering here.
Christ, almost three hours to go, give that key a rest poor thing :lol:

My F5 key is quite grateful I need to press function first so it only gets a gentle sideways nudge ;)

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
If I were to log on and see the teams now I would probably go for Antohan, think the subs have tilted it his way. Stoichcov should have started and not having Garrincha out there is a blow for thisistheone. When I saw Maradona, Cruyff and Garrincha in an attacking three, that was the key reason for me going for him

Thisistheone

If I were to log on and see the teams now I would probably go for Antohan, think the subs have tilted it his way. Stoichcov should have started and not having Garrincha out there is a blow for thisistheone. When I saw Maradona, Cruyff and Garrincha in an attacking three, that was the key reason for me going for him
Thing is dan, we all should view this match as coming to an end. Tired legs and stamina are an issue. Garrincha coming off is tactical.

But I understand why it would lose me votes. He's Garrincha after all.

DanNistelrooy

Thing is dan, we all should view this match as coming to an end. Tired legs and stamina are an issue. Garrincha coming off is tactical.

But I understand why it would lose me votes. He's Garrincha after all.
O yeah, I completely understand why you did it but those logging on now won't understand the reasoning or context for seeing Luis Enrique in there.

antohan

:confused: You can't vote though. Have you?

See early in the page for why Stoichkov didn't start. Glad to see someone rating him as highly as I do.

Thisistheone

One final throw of the dice. The token Maradona video. Hopefully Diego can pull a rabbit out of the hat...

Breitner wins the ball down the left, forward to Cruyff who's clever flick releases Maradona in a bit of space...

DanNistelrooy

:confused: You can't vote though. Have you?

See early in the page for why Stoichkov didn't start. Glad to see someone rating him as highly as I do.
I just thought that Iniesta AND Laudraup wasn't exactly necessary, your team is more balanced now I think.

antohan

Hope my lads are lieing up enjoying their extra days rest while this gruelling battles going on. feck knows what Bestie's gettin up to
Certainly not resting. You would probably rather he was playing than doing what he is doing! :lol:

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
One final throw of the dice. The token Maradona video. Hopefully Diego can pull a rabbit out of the hat...

Breitner wins the ball down the left, forward to Cruyff who's clever flick releases Maradona in a bit of space...
Have you tried claiming the extra goal that Maradonna would clearly have used his hand to score? :smirk:

antohan

Mate, we all know how good Maradona was but he is not in an ideal setup.

You have no ball-recovery, when you have it everyone is operating pretty much in the same central channel Maradona is (Cruyff, Luis Enrique, Charlton, even Breitner would cut in as well!). There's no space for him as an orchestrator to exploit.

I said early in the draft that Messi could be a better pick than Maradona in it (this game has shown me how wrong I was from a voter draw perspective, mind). Why? There are three scenarios for Maradona:

1. With reasonably good functional players around him, he makes them all look like world beaters. That's what sets him apart as the best ever.
  2. With very good players around him he will still be as good a player, but you lose that extra dimension, which is where I thought Messi could be more successful in this draft.
  3. With very good players but no space and one actually wanting to take over the orchestrating, he is almost nullified and cut down to a moment of solo-inspiration (the one goal I think you could conceivably get here).
Just look up there, Marcosdeto, the ultimate Argie, Boca and by extension Maradona fan has voted for me. Clearly he sees that to the extent even his emotions can't blind him.