All-Time Fantasy Draft

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I reckon Monday will be better seeing as the FA Cup game is on. We can have both going at the same time, which should help build up interest for the final as well.

Dan must be pretty weed off. Picking Matthaus would leave him with no right back, he would have been looking forward to picking Zanetti prior to the final, not Eyzaguirre :lol:
Oh aye, thats fine too.

If only Eyzaguirre knew, that on the other side of the world some lad in Norn Iron is on the internet arguing his case for inclusion in the best team of all time. He'd be a happy man.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Some interesting decisions to be made today. Will Dan mess about with his team balance to try bring Matthaus on or just seamlessly slot Souness in for Yaya? It would be a strange case of a player not started in the quarters being picked for the semis...

Will thisistheone try to find a way of fitting in either Messi or Ronaldo? Some interesting options there.

How do I work around Pele and potentially getting Maradona?

Does Cutch strengthen his midfield unit despite weakening his pair?

Drumroll...

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I reckon Monday will be better seeing as the FA Cup game is on. We can have both going at the same time, which should help build up interest for the final as well.

Dan must be pretty weed off. Picking Matthaus would leave him with no right back, he would have been looking forward to picking Zanetti prior to the final, not Eyzaguirre :lol:
Has Dan got any other full-backs on his bench? Given the vast majority of the top full-backs were from the biggest 3-5 nations, I'm surprised folk didn't look to pick a full-back from a second tier country as their 13th team thinking ahead to any upgrade scenario for a marquee player.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Has Dan got any other full-backs on his bench? Given the vast majority of the top full-backs were from the biggest 3-5 nations, I'm surprised folk didn't look to pick a full-back from a second tier country as their 13th team thinking ahead to any upgrade scenario for a marquee player.
You mean like Eyzaguirre :p

Dan has no full backs on his bench.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
I'm a bit behind here, what do I do next? Just take 1 player from Stobzillas team?

antohan

I'm a bit behind here, what do I do next? Just take 1 player from Stobzillas team?
Pick the two you want to take with you, don't need to tell us though.

Then send the teamsheet and tactics write-up to Brwned tonight so we can kick off tomorrow.

antohan

I don't think many did. You clearly had that Yugoslav RB lines up to take over as soon as you had a better Italian than Gentile, Stobzilla had a bit of that going with his several defenders but not at RB for Cafú.

It's odd because the RB trap was the most glaring one very early on in the draft. Very chuffed with how that is turning out, I comfortably have the two best ones left :D

Thisistheone

Apart from messi/ronaldo, Drawing Antohan has provided quite a problem. While I probably should take Brehme, if a place in the final did happen I'd then be unable to pick Beckenbauer.

antohan

Apart from messi/ronaldo, Drawing Antohan has provided quite a problem. While I probably should take Brehme, if a place in the final did happen I'd then be unable to pick Beckenbauer.
:confused: You can't take Brehme, Brwned had him.

Messi is more of a no-go but Ronaldo... :drool: It would be a real shame if you leave both of them out of the competition.

Moby

Dick
:lol: I think it might backfire for some if they don't disclose the reinforcements here and end up picking players from the wrong team without anyone being able to correct it.

Thisistheone

Sorry, I meant Breitner.

Sound like you want me to pick Ronaldo rather than sure up my defence ;)

I'll post tactics early tomorrow.

Thisistheone

:lol: I think it might backfire for some if they don't disclose the reinforcements here and end up picking players from the wrong team without anyone being able to correct it.
:lol:

Could have been quite funny actually, if I posted a super team that suddenly featured four or five new additions, from all the teams. Just to see the reaction. And then act like nothing was wrong.

"No, I pick Brehme, Eusabio, Zico, Neeskens and Yashin. What's your problem?"

antohan

Sorry, I meant Breitner.

Sound like you want me to pick Ronaldo rather than sure up my defence ;)

I'll post tactics early tomorrow.
Ah, OK. Yeah, that's a bummer actually.

TBH, I would be interested in you picking Ronaldo or Messi purely to get the chance to pick them off you! :drool:

Both are major vote winners though so I wouldn't look forward to facing them. Go shore up your defence, indeed :D

Thisistheone

Whilst keeping my cards close to my chest, I admit Ronaldo is tempting. But I already have two of the outstanding Brazilian players. And that annoys me as it is. Three in the squad would just be greedy.

Also trying to work out if you go for Pele, knowing that Maradona is potentially up for grabs.

Interesting match-up.

antohan

That's quality Tito, hadn't seen that.

There really have been some quality contributions on here both in terms of posts, research, stories... but also Aldo with his draft updates with flags in them, this...

I've tried to make it as good an experience as possible or everyone (so long as you weren't playing me :smirk: ) which is why I've been taking the time to do some game wrap-up/tribute stuff with this awards thing.

antohan

Speaking of stories, don't think I ever got around posting this one:

George Best said:
I was with (Bobby) Charlton, (Denis) Law and Puskás, we were coaching in a football academy in Australia. The youngsters we were coaching did not respect him including making fun of his weight and age...We decided to let the guys challenge a coach to hit the crossbar 10 times in a row, obviously they picked the old fat one. Law asked the kids how many they thought the old fat coach would get out of ten. Most said less than five. I said ten. The old fat coach stepped up and hit nine in a row. For the tenth shot he scooped the ball in the air, bounced it off both shoulders and his head, then flicked it over with his heel and cannoned the ball off the crossbar on the volley. They all stood in silence then one kid asked who he was, I replied, "To you, his name is Mr. Puskás".

NM

Anto - you probably pop up with drafts every few months right? Wondering how often these are held. quality story too

antohan

Anto - you probably pop up with drafts every few months right? Wondering how often these are held. quality story too
No, this is the first I started actually, which is why I'm trying to wrap it up in style. Not much interest though clearly.

I'm lucky to be my own boss and only do stuff I'm interested in, so every now and then I know I'll have spare time and get stuck in one of these.

TITO seemed to be keen on running one soon, maybe you two should discuss topic, etc. I already gave him a few pointers although I doubt I will take part whatever it is.

NM

No, this is the first I started actually, which is why I'm trying to wrap it up in style. Not much interest though clearly.

I'm lucky to be my own boss and only do stuff I'm interested in, so every now and then I know I'll have spare time and get stuck in one of these.

TITO seemed to be keen on running one soon, maybe you two should discuss topic, etc. I already gave him a few pointers although I doubt I will take part whatever it is.
I can't run one - no time. why won't you take part.

antohan

Do a more recent one.
Yups, he was thinking all-time England, which looked like a great opportunity for research, but games would hardly attract more than a handful of voters. It would be some randomer deciding games more often than not. I remember once there was some chap no one knew anything about, never commented on anything, but people kept losing games by one vote and it was always his. :lol:

I suggested he picked something more along the lines of the one done in the newbies recently, don't remember what the date of birth bracket was but you had a nationality AND CL-winning constraint so it was mostly players from the CL era. That sounded like fun when Fergus' PM'd me about it.

kps88

I would wait a bit before starting a new one. Voter fatigue and all...

And I better not miss the registration window this time.

kps88

Have we ever done a present day one? So players currently playing and they would be judged on their level at the time of the draft.

Moby

Dick
Yeah we should some time and then start.

Current players is interesting, there was one done in newbies where all currently active players were eligible but instead of current ability, their whole career was considered. So players in their twilight were of great value in that draft.

antohan

MOTD and SKY analysis on All-Time Fantasy Draft Final

Our panel of experts comments on the game and explain their picks for the All-Time Final XI:

Alan Hansen: You could see how the game would shape up in the early exchanges. Look at Eyzaguirre, what is he doing there? That is poor defending. Team Antohan just exploited that over and over again. It also helped them across the frontline. Baresi and Charles must have been furious. They've been crying out for a replacement fully expecting him to get shown up sooner or later. We mentioned it last week, but the manager did nothing about it. It just makes it very difficult to defend effectively and keep things tight.

Alan Shearer: It lost them Charles in the centre of the box. Erm. He is a big fella and Pelé must have been delighted. I certainly would.

Gary Lineker: Paul McGrath could have done a job there. I heard he once marked you out of a game while under the influence, didn't he Alan? :winkwinknudgenudge:

Gary Neville: The problem for them was Hierro had to constantly support and keep a close watch on that flank. That meant Di Stéfano also had to keep coming deeper and deeper to perform some of Hierro's defensive duties. That somewhat limited his ability to impact the game.

Graeme Souness: Maradona certainly could focus more on the attacking phases, but it wasn't that bad for Di Stéfano. Edwards, what a player. He is strong, powerful, gets stuck in, never say die spirit... he was doing the work of two men out there. Look at his runs as well, the one for the goal...

Jamie Redknapp: Yes, Di Stéfano kept screaming at him "Todo el camino Duncan, todo el camino". I have no idea what that means, don't think Duncan does either, does he speak Italian? But it worked. Literally.

Mark Lawrenson: Rijkaard was a very lucky man out there. They scored in the first 20 minutes and that allowed them to start controlling the game and be a bit more conservative. He wouldn't have lasted the game otherwise, he was on a yellow already and a red card waiting to happen.

Lee Dixon: Stoichkov did a better job than Ronaldo though. It was an exceptionally selfless display in contrast to that Ronaldo incident with Best. As a fullback you want to have great wingers, but if you have two who won't track back in front of you... you know it will be a long day at the office.

FANTASY FINAL BEST XI ACCORDING TO THE EXPERTS

ANTOHAN 3 (Pelé 18', Maradona 40', Facchetti 80')
CUTCH 2 (Edwards 58', van Basten 70')

Sepp Maier: Sure, he was just collecting splinters. Yet, like a player undergoing a long injury lay-off, the shadow he cast on Kahn grew larger as the game wore on. Rating: N/A

José Leandro Andrade: Much had been said in the run up to the game about the Uruguayan's credentials as an Olympic Double and World Cup winner and the first player to combine attack and defence to perfection. Fans were dismayed they would not see "The Black Marvel"s attacking side, but the tactical ploy worked. Best was constantly shackled, won some, lost some, but his impact on the game was kept to a minimum and that's all that could be asked of him. Rating: 7

Elías Figueroa: "The Red Wall" was immense. He dominated aerially and broke down rival moves time again. Also broke Cristiano Ronaldo's spirit, as what few opportunities he had to escape his markers where dilligently and firmly dealt with. Rating: 7

Franco Baresi: He was never going to be at his impenetrable best. A gaping hole at RB, Santos' runs to cover on his left, Charles regularly dragged wide and leaving him to deal with Pelé's aerial threat... and that's before you consider Pelé and Maradona running at his defence! And yet, the Italian was magnificent, marshalling his defence superbly and single-handedly keeping the scoreline respectable. Rating: 9

Giacinto Facchetti: He set out to do what he did countless times for Inter and Italy with tireless discipline and panache. He absolutely owned that flank end to end and had Eyzaguirre completely demoralised and walking about like a zombie within 30 minutes. His crosses for Pelé caused all sorts of trouble and delivered the opening goal. Scoring the third and final goal was the cherry on the cake. Rating: 10

Duncan Edwards: Immense, he ran himself into the ground marking Maradona as best as anyone could and never gave up despite being occasionally left with egg all over his face. His bullocking runs gave Beckenbauer a few headaches and, a testament to his character, he scored a stunning goal when things were starting to look hopeless at 2-0. An outstanding performance by the 21-year-old left half. Rating: 8

Franz Beckenbauer:
A vintage display straight from the all-time top drawer. Kept the defence tight and organised, Di Stéfano uncharacteristically quiet and pulled the strings from deep when Maradona was too heavily marked. Rating: 8

Diego Maradona: Took some time getting into the game. He looked like a kid in a candy store with his wide-eyed delight to be playing on the same pitch as Di Stéfano. After a bollocking from his manager, he slowly started to get into his groove, made the lead safer with one of his trademark pile-ups and by the second half he was just taking the piss. No one could get anywhere near him. His esteem for La Saeta Rubia probably conspired to make him focus more on an orgasmic football exhibition than adding to the scoreline. That may have proved costly. Rating: 8

George Best: The setup and directives on the winning team's right flank are a testament to his outrageous ability. Based on what we saw, they were the right call as Best unshackled would have turned this into a goalfest. His occasional breakthroughs caused chaos in the rival defence and he could have given his team a vital goal. Unfortunately, Maradona had just scored a stunning goal after a breathtaking mazy run. His troubled genius had the better of him as he turned around, ran his way to the halfway line to nutmeg Maradona, and started an equally breathtaking run dribbling past Beckenbauer and Rijkaard. As he was working his way past Figueroa, a desperate for attention Ronaldo latched on to the loose ball and whacked it hard and up in the stands. Later made up for it providing the assist for van Basten's equaliser. Rating: 7.5

Hristo Stoichkov: The Bulgarian had his work cut out after being asked to sacrifice himself in a tactical role. He dutifully applied himself to it to great effect and with the same passion that has been a hallmark of his career. Santos had no impact on the game and he still found the energy to give him and Baresi trouble, as if there wasn't enough already elsewhere. His reward surely has to be to reinstate him on the left and enjoy the linkup with Facchetti which he longed for all game. Rating: 7

Pelé: Awesome, simply awesome. A complete centre-forward performance, battering Baresi in the air, executing one-twos and unlucky to hit the post twice with his finishes. Scored the opener with a stunning header only Gordon Banks could have saved, and people still don't know how he managed to in the first place. Pelé was none too happy about Maradona's unwillingness to humiliate the opposition. He could see himself scoring a few more if the left flank was exploited more regularly. We agree, it could have been murder out there due to Eyzaguirre, but ended up being very close. Rating: 8

MOTM: Giacinto Facchetti