All Time ODI Draft Final - Raees vs Mani

Who will win a 3 match series between the two?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

prath92

Welcome to the last match of the draft - The Final- between @Raees and @Mani

vs

There are 3 pitches

1. Batting track with no help to bowlers

2. Batting track with conditions aiding swing bowling

3. Slow Batting track aiding spin bowling

Keeping the players at their peak which of the teams would win a 3 match series with one match played in each of the above pitches

prath92

Team Raees

THOUGHTS ON THE OPPOSITION AND HOW TO COUNTER THEIR STRENGTHS

Batting

Going to be totally honest, whilst Guptill is one of the better opening ODI batsmen of today's game.. I don't think he has proven enough credentials against quality bowlers and definitely not against a GOAT attack like this. Hayden is one of the games great openers, but again I'd say my opening pair have the edge here and I'd fancy my bowling attack against Hayden if they're in full flight. Hayden had a very poor record against South Africa, even without the presence of Donald, so I think he'll have a tough time facing likes of Hadlee and Donald from the off.

Next I am up against the behemoths of Viv Richards and ABD. It could go either way here, if one of them gets in.. my side is going to have to firefight put it that way, so the only argument I can put forward is that they're up against an incredible bowling attack, all of whom are very mature, supremely skilful and economical. They're not the type of bowlers you envisage being ripped to shreds, consistently during an entire spell and if any group of bowlers was to try and restrict them from unleashing their usual amount of devastation it would be my group of bowlers.

He has a pretty hard hitting lower order in Symonds, Yuvraj and Imran but again, it is a miserly attack they're facing and I think in a match up of this calibre, I back my own lower order to make more runs as they're capable of facing strong bowlers. It is a tough ask admittedly but it could also be argued that none of these guys faced a bowling attack of this calibre so its tough to say what will happen.. it will be explosive one way or another.

To summarise, a quite stunning batting attack in the middle order but not the best of opening pair I have faced, and the lower order has power but lacks stability if one of Richards/ABD loses their wicket. The main idea is to try and restrict the likes of Richards and ABD, rather than attack them gung-ho... it will not be easy.

Bowling

Starc, Ambrose, McGrath, Imran.. it is a brilliant bowling attack and Hogg, is an underrated ODI Spinner. Even Symonds can chip in too, so it is a tough ask to post a sensational score, but I do see this as an overall low scoring game due to the calibre of the bowling attacks. What I will say is that there is such quality depth running through my entire batting lineup against quality bowlers, that it can unleash guys like Greenidge and Jones to just do their stuff knowing they're not responsible for carrying the weight of the batting attack.. whereas Richards and ABD have all the pressure on them to anchor and devastate the opposition.

BATTING STRATEGY

Greenidge to play attacking, whilst Sachin is the anchor of the innings, although knowing Sanga is coming in next can encourage him to play at a faster pace than he would usually. Sanga can come in and play anchor if Tendulkar gets out, or play at a faster pace if Sachin is his partner. He is very adaptable and such a clutch player in tight situations, so it is hard to envisage him misreading the situation and not playing according to what the side needs at the time. Kohli, can come in and try to take the game away from the opposition, he is a more attacking Sachin, capable of anchor or accelerating the scoreline to ridiculous figures. Jones is coming in as a pinch hitter, our 80's equivalent of ABD, looking to terrorise the opposition and Miandad is the man for a crisis, who can help grit our way to victory if need be.. or come in and be a showman, adding further damage - he isn't Pakistans greatest ever batsman for no reason.

Hadlee will not be relied upon to get huge scores but is very reliable and can be expected to put 50-60 on at a rapid rate, as he is a fine striker of the ball.

BOWLING STRATEGY

Overs 0-10

Donald & Hadlee

10-20

Holding & Saqlain

20-30

Marshall & Donald

30-40

Saqlain and Hadlee

40-50

Holding and Marshall

Last edited:

prath92

Team Mani

1.M.Hayden
2.M.Guptill
3.Sir Viv Richards
4.AB deVilliers
5.Yuvraj Singh
6.A.Symonds
7.Imran Khan-C
8.A.Razzaq
9.M.Starc
10.G.McGrath
11.C.Ambrose

B.Hogg will play in pitch that assists spin while M.Starc will play in other two pitches.

Why I'll win.......

We are in the final stages of this draft and both sides have been stacked up with solid batsmen and bowlers. Now it all comes down to tactics and how both managers employ and expose it to maximum effect. Here are the some of the points which I find could make some difference that could make my team beat Raees.

1. Captain Marvel -Imran Khan, the man for all seasons, man who could get best out of any given team, the leader who'll lead from the front,the greatest exponent of reverse swing. The Man who knows how to utilise his resource better than any other captain.

2. Sir Viv Richards & AB deVilliers , Two of the greatest entertainers of the game,best middle order combo the ODI could have witnessed, Sir Viv's intimidating style with ABD's 360° degree would be hard to contain for any bowlers.

3. G.McGrath & C.Ambrose, Corridor bowlers from both ends, who would can bowl consistent line and length in and around the off stump,these two are the best weapon to neutralise his opening combo, choking them to play those loose shots and keeping run rate at check.

4. Lower Middle Order - Yuvraj Singh / A.Symonds /Imran Khan / A.Razzaq , He doesn't have batsmen of this calibre at lower down the order to come and finish the innings in style, in simple I got better batsmen's at end.

5. Raees got 3 one down batsmen (D.Jones/V. kohli/Sanggakara) all three excelled at 3,where as here only one would be able to occupy his favourite position, which means he's not getting the best out of two of the batsmen as you can see their averages drop considerably when they play at other positions. Its not an huge difference but when it comes to the final as this is, then this could also be the difference that decides it.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
@prath92 can you edit my op to remove his lineup. That wasn't meant to be there it was for my own reference

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Also my table of averages isn't there? When it should be part of the OP.

prath92

since im on phone i could do it only one by one and thats why I couldnt add the image in the first try.

re mani's lineup in your post, it did confuse me but i thought it was part of your analysis of his team :p

Sorry:nervous:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Miandad at six is a waste of his talents.
Yes but he is accustomed to playing finisher role in ODIs and is more versatile than trying to put Sanga or Kohli down the order. I also trust him more with lower order batsmen than I would with the other guys.

Mani

Yes but he is accustomed to playing finisher role in ODIs and is more versatile than trying to put Sanga or Kohli down the order. I also trust him more with lower order batsmen than I would with the other guys.
He's more a 4 down batsmen and his average comes down going further down,it's waste of talent and again Jones at 5 or 6? Never seen him play there as well,they are quality batsmen but you are wasting them playing lower down the order.

Mani

can put forward is that they're up against an incredible bowling attack, all of whom are very mature, supremely skilful and economical. They'renot the type of bowlers you envisage being ripped toshreds, consistently during an entire spell and if anygroup of bowlers was to try and restrict them fromunleashing their usual amount of devastation itwould be my group of bowlers.
I would put it other way as they never been tried to mordern day power hitting plus all your fast bowlers barring Donald excelled in bowling with new ball it would be different ball game when ball gets old and no assist of shine as it would suit my middle order batting of Sir Viv Richards & AB deVilliers.

Mani

Hayden had a very poor record against South Africa
Which means you had never watched Hayden properly, 101 from 67 balls in world cup 2007

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Which means you had never watched Hayden properly, 101 from 67 balls in world cup 2007

That's the only one where he did make a significant century. It was the anomaly to the norm. He was in great form that World Cup.

Regardless I'm not going target Hayden as a weak link.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Sangakkara in World Cups

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's more a 4 down batsmen and his average comes down going further down,it's waste of talent and again Jones at 5 or 6? Never seen him play there as well,they are quality batsmen but you are wasting them playing lower down the order.
I don't get it - how am I wasting them when I have to put them in the batting lineup somewhere .. and what do I do put Sanga in at 6 when he's the superior batsman?

Mani

I don't get it - how am I wasting them when I have to put them in the batting lineup somewhere .. and what do I do put Sanga in at 6 when he's the superior batsman?
Javed Miandad averages 22.00 with the strike rate of 65.84 while playing at 6,he's more an anchor man who comes at No.4 can stay there while help other to play their shorts, here you are using him as LO batsmen at No.6. Between I'm not speaking about sanga there as he's playing in his original position.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Javed Miandad averages 22.00 with the strike rate of 65.84 while playing at 6,he's more an anchor man who comes at No.4 can stay there while help other to play their shorts, here you are using him as LO batsmen at No.6. Between I'm not speaking about sanga there as he's playing in his original position.
I'm not disagreeing there but if you look at my lineup he's the only one with any experience of playing at 6 and the only one with legit finishing credentials lower down the order hence he has to be put at 6. Obviously I'd rather have a Dhoni in there who is a proper 5/6 but my 1-5 is so strong we have to relegate one of the top order to 6 and he's the only one with some experience of batting there.

He's a versatile batsmen who can adapt to the situation and is at his best under pressure so he can do a job here but ultimately I hope my top 5 put on the majority of the runs and he doesn't have to do much here.

Mani

I'm not disagreeing there but if you look at my lineup he's the only one with any experience of playing at 6 and the only one with legit finishing credentials lower down the order hence he has to be put at 6. Obviously I'd rather have a Dhoni in there who is a proper 5/6 but my 1-5 is so strong we have to relegate one of the top order to 6 and he's the only one with some experience of batting there.

He's a versatile batsmen who can adapt to the situation and is at his best under pressure so he can do a job here but ultimately I hope my top 5 put on the majority of the runs and he doesn't have to do much here.
Yeah I can understand your position,If I where you, I would have used Kohli lower down the order and allowed Jones / Javed to occupy their favourite 3-4 and let Kholi/Sanga operate at LMO specially for their better strike rate alone,Javed Miandad can give you the test match innings but with at 65.84 SR at No.6 and playing those last 10 overs or even lesser of the 50 overs you loose those clutch hitting especially when batsmen need to go at 10-15 runs an over.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Yeah I can understand your position,If I where you, I would have used Kohli lower down the order and allowed Jones / Javed to occupy their favourite 3-4 and let Kholi/Sanga operate at LMO specially for their better strike rate alone,Javed Miandad can give you the test match innings but with at 65.84 SR at No.6 and playing those last 10 overs or even lesser of the 50 overs you loose those clutch hitting especially when batsmen need to go at 10-15 runs an over.
True. Is it too late to make such a change?

Mani wins this
Batting too explosive. Would score boundaries regularly. The other team is great, but would be outscored by mani's

@Raees

The problem you have got here is your team being from a different era of OD cricket, it's hard for you to convince me that your players can outscore players of the ilk of Hayden, De Villiers, Yuvraj Singh and Symonds. Not to mention that Viv Richards was a prodigious six hitter himself

That's the challenge I have with your team, in Sangakarra and Sachin you have the two greatest accumulators of runs in the OD game

I know from a brief look at the SRs you can't compare, and that is as the game has changed, I just can't discount that from my consideration

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
@Mani @MJJ @harshad @Tuppet @OB @EdWeatherall @crappycraperson @Ijazz17

Tactical change. Miandad pushed higher up the order, to play a more anchoring role and allow the more versatile modern day ODI legends such as Sanga and Kohli to play at a faster pace and make regular boundaries.

Jones, Sanga and Kohli all have explosive innings in them.

DEAN JONES - TAKING IT TO THE OPPOSITION (WORLD CUP FOOTAGE)

SANGA AT HIS BEST

KOHLI - ANNIHILATING MALINGA

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
@Raees

The problem you have got here is your team being from a different era of OD cricket, it's hard for you to convince me that your players can outscore players of the ilk of Hayden, De Villiers, Yuvraj Singh and Symonds. Not to mention that Viv Richards was a prodigious six hitter himself

That's the challenge I have with your team, in Sangakarra and Sachin you have the two greatest accumulators of runs in the OD game

I know from a brief look at the SRs you can't compare, and that is as the game has changed, I just can't discount that from my consideration
No worries mate, hopefully my post above tries to mitigate that issue, and the economy rate of my bowlers can also restrict that hard hitting side from being as expansive as they usually are.

If not, no problem - it is a tight game and something like that is obviously a key talking point.

Kohli 90 v Symonds 92 and Sanga 78 v Yuvraj 86. In world cups, Sanga's SR goes up to 105.87 for World cup 2015!

Mani

Speaking about World Cup heroic,here are some my team men who stood up and mattered the most.

M.Hayden -2 World Cup winner 2003 & 2007,highest run getter in 2007.

Sir Viv Richards- 1975 & 1979 (Match winning century in final and great feilding in 1975 to send Greg Chappell packing was movement to note in the history of the game.

Yuvraj Singh- 2011. Awarded Man of the series in 2011.

A.Symonds- 2 World Cups (2003 & 2007) his performance at LMO came in vital.

Imran Khan -1992 , lead Pakistan to win World Cup,stood up in final with bat and ball.

M.Starc-2015 (Man of the Series) ended tournament with 22 Wkts at an average of 10.18 :eek:

G.McGrath (1999,2003 & 2007) Winner of three World Cup,led the bowling attack of Australian team in all 3 World cups.

B.Hogg (2003 & 2007 ) Lone spinner in Australian World Cup team,in the absence of S.Warne,Came in handy in WI condition.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Can you post just the 2 11s next to each other please?
1.M.Hayden ----------------- --S. Tendulkar
2.M.Guptill. ----------------- -- G. Greenidge
3. V Richards. ----------------- J. Miandad
4.AB deVilliers. ----------------- D. Jones
5.Y Singh. ----------------- -- - K. Sangakarra
6.A.Symonds. ----------------- V.Kohli
7.Imran Khan. ----------------- R. Hadlee
8.A.Razzaq. ----------------- --M. Marshall
9.M.Starc. ----------------- ---- S. Mushtaq
10.G.McGrath. ----------------- M. Holding
11.C.Ambrose. ----------------- A. Donald

@Varun

Varun

Staff
1.M.Hayden ----------------- --S. Tendulkar
2.M.Guptill. ----------------- -- G. Greenidge
3. V Richards. ----------------- J. Miandad
4.AB deVilliers. ----------------- D. Jones
5.Y Singh. ----------------- -- - K. Sangakarra
6.A.Symonds. ----------------- V.Kohli
7.Imran Khan. ----------------- R. Hadlee
8.A.Razzaq. ----------------- --M. Marshall
9.M.Starc. ----------------- ---- S. Mushtaq
10.G.McGrath. ----------------- M. Holding
11.C.Ambrose. ----------------- A. Donald

@Varun
I've gone for Mani. Think it's a better balanced team especially on the batting front. You've got a bunch of top order batsmen with no real finishers towards the end I'm afraid. Kohli and Sanga are wasted there, so would be Miandad if you put him there which is why I think it's not a balanced lineup.