All Time Reserves Draft | Quarters

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Beautifully, and efficiently, done.
Your servant, sir.

I don't think we need to go crazy with deadlines given the circumstances - just let people pick when they get around to it - then I can do the draw once you're all done.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
...and unless I'm mistaken, the reinforcement order should be:

Tiger/Joga
Tuppet
Skizzo
mazhar13

(carried over from the last round, but reversed).

Keep in mind that the reinforcement pool also contains all unpicked players not on the blocked list.

@RedTiger @Joga Bonito @Skizzo @mazhar13 @Tuppet
The semi-final and and final reinforcement rounds should be sheep format as per the OP.

Reinforcements:
1. First round (Pre QF) of reinforcements will consists of 2 picks per team and will be conducted in the reverse order of the initial format.
2. Pre SF reinforcements will be conducted in Sheep Format. The four semi finalists will submit two picks and one block each, for three rounds. This means you can can add upto 2 players to your team and you will exit the round as soon as you have two successful picks.
3. Pre final reinforcements wil be conducted in Sheep Format. The two finalists will submit one pick and one pick and one block each, for three rounds. This means you can can add upto 1 player to your team and you will exit the round as soon as you have one successfulpick.
We don't mind snake format too :wenger:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
We don't mind snake format too :wenger:
Snake seems more reasonable given the circumstances, I'd say: In practice hardly a player was showcased during the quarter finals, so in the spirit of letting as many players shine as possible, I reckon you should be allowed to pick freely here (rather than risking having anyone blocked).

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Me three. I'm fine with the snake approach for now. Given the horrible QF stage, it's better to keep things at a decent pace particularly as we don't really have a draft master here (@Šjor Bepo may be the interim one, I think?).

Tuppet

I am obviously on board with any plan which did not involve the possibility of me getting sheep.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
RedTiger - 1. Gianni Rivera 2. Stielike 3. Bossis 4. J.Greaves 5. Donadoni 6. Lucio 7. Boban 8. Reuter 9. Sanchis 10. van der Sar 11. Heynckes 12. Wimmer 13. Ruggeri 14. Lerby 15. Maradona 16. Thuram

Tuppet - 1. Florian Albert 2. Thomas Muller 3. Blanchflower 4. Josef Bican 5. Roberto Perfumo 6. Bonhof 7. Morten Olsen 8. Leandro Ferreira 9. Valentino Mazzola 10. Renzo De Vecchi 11. Amadeo Carrizo 12. Felix Loustau 13 Toninho Cerezo 14. Ciro Ferrara 15. Djemba Djemba 16. Ali Daei

Skizzo - 1- Nils Liedholm 2. Júnior 3. Alain Giresse 4. Diego Godín 5. Thiago Silva 6. Nándor Hidegkuti 7. Héctor Rial 8. Maicon 9. Mascherano 10. Juninho Pernambucano 11. Joël Bats 12. Vavá 13. Wolfgang Overath 14. Gianluigi Buffon 15. Pele 16. Baresi

mazhar13 - 1. Allan Simonsen 2. Schweinsteiger 3. Stojkovic 4. David Villa 5. Bratseth 6. Willi Schulz 7. Volodymyr Bezsonov 8. Bernard Dietz 9. Papin 10. Čajkovski 11. Schumacher 12. Conte 13. Suarez 14. Alves 15. Messi 16. Rijkaard

Are we ready to proceed?

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Perhaps the votes of the voters who made obvious wumming messages in the draft thread could be disregarded. Sounds extreme but has to be done if the draft needs to progress with any semblance of normality.

Muffled_Funk, Vidic in Moscow, EdWeatherall, rimaldo, Eboue, Waldner, Lastwolf, marukomu - Chat shit get banged
Wtf matebruv

Tuppet

RedTiger - 1. Gianni Rivera 2. Stielike 3. Bossis 4. J.Greaves 5. Donadoni 6. Lucio 7. Boban 8. Reuter 9. Sanchis 10. van der Sar 11. Heynckes 12. Wimmer 13. Ruggeri 14. Lerby 15. Maradona 16. Thuram

Tuppet - 1. Florian Albert 2. Thomas Muller 3. Blanchflower 4. Josef Bican 5. Roberto Perfumo 6. Bonhof 7. Morten Olsen 8. Leandro Ferreira 9. Valentino Mazzola 10. Renzo De Vecchi 11. Amadeo Carrizo 12. Felix Loustau 13 Toninho Cerezo 14. Ciro Ferrara 15. Djemba Djemba 16. Ali Daei

Skizzo - 1- Nils Liedholm 2. Júnior 3. Alain Giresse 4. Diego Godín 5. Thiago Silva 6. Nándor Hidegkuti 7. Héctor Rial 8. Maicon 9. Mascherano 10. Juninho Pernambucano 11. Joël Bats 12. Vavá 13. Wolfgang Overath 14. Gianluigi Buffon 15. Pele 16. Baresi

mazhar13 - 1. Allan Simonsen 2. Schweinsteiger 3. Stojkovic 4. David Villa 5. Bratseth 6. Willi Schulz 7. Volodymyr Bezsonov 8. Bernard Dietz 9. Papin 10. Čajkovski 11. Schumacher 12. Conte 13. Suarez 14. Alves 15. Messi 16. Rijkaard

Are we ready to proceed?
:lol: I fully expect something like this to happen in any sheep format where I am involved.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Sorry for the delay.

El Matador

RedTiger - 1. Gianni Rivera 2. Stielike 3. Bossis 4. J.Greaves 5. Donadoni 6. Lucio 7. Boban 8. Reuter 9. Sanchis 10. van der Sar 11. Heynckes 12. Wimmer 13. Ruggeri 14. Lerby 15. Kempes

Tuppet - 1. Florian Albert 2. Thomas Muller 3. Blanchflower 4. Josef Bican 5. Roberto Perfumo 6. Bonhof 7. Morten Olsen 8. Leandro Ferreira 9. Valentino Mazzola 10. Renzo De Vecchi 11. Amadeo Carrizo 12. Felix Loustau 13 Toninho Cerezo 14. Ciro Ferrara 15.

Skizzo - 1- Nils Liedholm 2. Júnior 3. Alain Giresse 4. Diego Godín 5. Thiago Silva 6. Nándor Hidegkuti 7. Héctor Rial 8. Maicon 9. Mascherano 10. Juninho Pernambucano 11. Joël Bats 12. Vavá 13. Wolfgang Overath 14. Gianluigi Buffon 15.

mazhar13 - 1. Allan Simonsen 2. Schweinsteiger 3. Stojkovic 4. David Villa 5. Bratseth 6. Willi Schulz 7. Volodymyr Bezsonov 8. Bernard Dietz 9. Papin 10. Čajkovski 11. Schumacher 12. Conte 13. Suarez 14. Alves 15.

@Tuppet

Skizzo

RedTiger - 1. Gianni Rivera 2. Stielike 3. Bossis 4. J.Greaves 5. Donadoni 6. Lucio 7. Boban 8. Reuter 9. Sanchis 10. van der Sar 11. Heynckes 12. Wimmer 13. Ruggeri 14. Lerby 15. Kempes

Tuppet - 1. Florian Albert 2. Thomas Muller 3. Blanchflower 4. Josef Bican 5. Roberto Perfumo 6. Bonhof 7. Morten Olsen 8. Leandro Ferreira 9. Valentino Mazzola 10. Renzo De Vecchi 11. Amadeo Carrizo 12. Felix Loustau 13 Toninho Cerezo 14. Ciro Ferrara 15. Seeler

Skizzo - 1- Nils Liedholm 2. Júnior 3. Alain Giresse 4. Diego Godín 5. Thiago Silva 6. Nándor Hidegkuti 7. Héctor Rial 8. Maicon 9. Mascherano 10. Juninho Pernambucano 11. Joël Bats 12. Vavá 13. Wolfgang Overath 14. Gianluigi Buffon 15. Riva

mazhar13 - 1. Allan Simonsen 2. Schweinsteiger 3. Stojkovic 4. David Villa 5. Bratseth 6. Willi Schulz 7. Volodymyr Bezsonov 8. Bernard Dietz 9. Papin 10. Čajkovski 11. Schumacher 12. Conte 13. Suarez 14. Alves 15.

@mazhar13

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Now, this is the XI after the upgrades:

Maldini/Rosato: They stay deep (i.e. they don't push up to press or intercept, but play a conservative game). As far as roles are concerned, I suppose you could portray Maldini as more “cultured” as they say, but it's not very relevant: What the one does is in practice quite similar to what the other does – but if the opponent sports a classic box player of some description, Rosato will be the one tasked with dealing with him – as he dealt, famously, with Gerd Müller, among others.

Fullbacks:
Balanced – meaning that both will venture forward to some degree, and seek to overlap/combine.

Zito:
Holder. Nothing particularly fancy about his role – he stays fairly deep and his task is twofold: He protects the defence – and he contributes to starting plays (being a very tidy passer).

Jansen: Hound. He hounds the opposition, covering a lot of ground, always seeking to intercept when the other team have the ball. Key strengths: Engine and brains (but is, like Zito, a very tidy passer).

Deyna: Playmaker. The main one, that is. When Sindelar drops down, Deyna pushes up – but this isn't something which happens mechanically, as it were, at least not ideally: It's an interchange of sorts, an interplay – where Sindelar becomes a secondary playmaker and Deyna, at times, a primary finisher: Not least from distance, from the edge of the box or even deeper. Key strength (in addition to what you'd expect from a main playmaker): Finishing (tricky, spectacular finishes, to be exact).

Sindelar: Striker. Role: False nine. He's the main finisher, but he frequently drops deep to function as an orchestrator. See above.

Wingers:

Lato:
Will frequently drift – and storm – into the box. However, he is disciplined and tactically excellent more than anything. When needed, he will operate as a pure winger – whose main function will be to combine with the overlapping Armfield. Excellent finisher, both with feet and head.

Joya: Role: Pretty much a classic winger - less of a key role, you could say, but an extremely dangerous player.

@Joga Bonito

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
That's a cracking side @Chesterlestreet . Love the wings in particular, esp the Joya-Evra tandem who would be a real pain in the arse to deal with. Can't fully get my head around the Deyna-Sindelar duo as it stands, but only because I feel the latter was also an orchestrator of sorts and there might be a potential clash of interests. Not that Deyna was a ball hogging selfish player by any means, so it could work, with Sindelar being the more pronounced goalscoring and incisive creative influence and Deyna being the playmaking heartbeat of the side. Guess it primarily boils down to Sindelar's playing style.

That Zito-Jansen axis is the best thing about that side imo. Quite hard to find such a heavy-hitting combo with composure, tactical acumen, discipline and of course a fair share of ball playing ability thrown in. Lovely midfield that.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
@Chesterlestreet I really like that front 4. Every one of those, as you drafted them, got a nod of the head and an "oof, good pick" seal of approval from me.

Not that it counts for much, as it were, but there you go.
Thanks, man - yes, I like it myself, if I say so. Would it have brought me glory? Oh, hard to tell. I think Sindelar would've been a liability, ultimately - just the way it is with the prewar boys: You can't realistically sell them all the way - not when they feature so prominently: He's the key figure in the whole thing, after all.

And that is, I suppose, the main problem with going for something like that: How do you upgrade? I struggled a bit at the first hurdle. Evra is a purely cosmetic upgrade - just a more well known name to push, he doesn't offer anything in particular which lifts the team (to put it in such terms). Joya is an upgrade - and offers something other than Lennox (who I had there to begin with), making the winger combo (him and Lato) more interesting and, well, varied.

But from there? Thing is that I can't drop Sindelar - that's the premise: Ride as long as you can with that basic system - and, well, there it is. Most people probably wouldn't label Sindelar final worthy here - and I can't say I blame them very much for that either. He is an old timer, there is very little to offer in the form of hard evidence/footage...and, yeah, we all know the game.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
style.

That Zito-Jansen axis is the best thing about that side imo. Quite hard to find such a heavy-hitting combo with composure, tactical acumen, discipline and of course a fair share of ball playing ability thrown in. Lovely midfield that.
Good to hear! Yes, I probably would have focused quite a bit on those two: I do think they complement both each other - and Deyna - if you regard it as a midfield trio of sorts. Jansen is a real favourite of mine - such a clever player, always moving into precisely the area he needs to be in to either disrupt the other team, or make himself available for a pass. Great and un-shiny player, if one can put it like that.

As for Sindelar-Deyna: Yep, you said it, basically: It's that combo you have to sell. And with Sindelar as the key figure - well, it's not so easy, as Van Gaal says. Deyna you can sell easily - there is loads of material to show people, plenty of examples of how he operated as a playmaker, plenty of goals he scored (of the sort I have in mind here): But he didn't do any of this as some sort of foil for a false nine who is supposed to be the Main Man of the entire operation. Which means that you have to sell Sindelar, individually, to a pretty great extent: And can you do that - with the limitations he comes with, evidence wise? Tricky.

Skizzo

Thanks, man - yes, I like it myself, if I say so. Would it have brought me glory? Oh, hard to tell. I think Sindelar would've been a liability, ultimately - just the way it is with the prewar boys: You can't realistically sell them all the way - not when they feature so prominently: He's the key figure in the whole thing, after all.

And that is, I suppose, the main problem with going for something like that: How do you upgrade? I struggled a bit at the first hurdle. Evra is a purely cosmetic upgrade - just a more well known name to push, he doesn't offer anything in particular which lifts the team (to put it in such terms). Joya is an upgrade - and offers something other than Lennox (who I had there to begin with), making the winger combo (him and Lato) more interesting and, well, varied.

But from there? Thing is that I can't drop Sindelar - that's the premise: Ride as long as you can with that basic system - and, well, there it is. Most people probably wouldn't label Sindelar final worthy here - and I can't say I blame them very much for that either. He is an old timer, there is very little to offer in the form of hard evidence/footage...and, yeah, we all know the game.
Aye, that's always the struggle when you have a team balance between players you have in a system, and players that are a bit more, let's say, recognizable.

I'm contemplating that very thing now with BBRBB's team. Riva for Vava seemed an obvious choice for me, but the second one may be a marginal upgrade at best. Not even fully sure if it will be a quality upgrade or just a different name doing the same role just as well.

I'm also glad we didn't have to try and pick replacements on our original team, because it was probably our favourite team we drafted and we didn't really like the idea of dropping many of them.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think the upgrade "problem" is partly - at least - due to the nature of the pool: Quality wise it's pretty evenly distributed, really - there were players picked in the last couple of rounds who don't compare unfavourably to many who went in the beginning. Normally, there will be clear upgrades available, almost regardless of what approach you have opted for: This pool is different, I feel. It's a matter of marginally upgrading this man or that man - rather than finally grabbing that GOAT who will dramatically improve your attack (or your defence).

I like that, I have to say - different sort of game. But it's definitely tricky - because you almost feel like you're better off sticking with what you had initially.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Aye, that's always the struggle when you have a team balance between players you have in a system, and players that are a bit more, let's say, recognizable.

I'm contemplating that very thing now with BBRBB's team. Riva for Vava seemed an obvious choice for me, but the second one may be a marginal upgrade at best. Not even fully sure if it will be a quality upgrade or just a different name doing the same role just as well.

I'm also glad we didn't have to try and pick replacements on our original team, because it was probably our favourite team we drafted and we didn't really like the idea of dropping many of them.
Riva is a good fit, I'm not sure how much better he is but probably easier to sell.

I guess you'll have to change the system if you want to progress, some new player could offer you more tactical flexibility.

Skizzo

Riva is a good fit, I'm not sure how much better he is but probably easier to sell.

I guess you'll have to change the system if you want to progress, some new player could offer you more tactical flexibility.
Aye it was definitely no slight on your team, I've stared at it for a while trying to figure out how to upgrade it :lol: I have a couple of ideas in mind if you want to let me know what you think? :)

The Riva thing was just that. A more well known name over Vava. Both fit well into your attacking system.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Which means that you have to sell Sindelar, individually, to a pretty great extent: And can you do that - with the limitations he comes with, evidence wise? Tricky
Indeed, but I do think it's achievable. One largely has to go with anecdotal and statistical evidence, but they are hardly an 'inferior form' of evidence as such, for me at the very least (but they do have their limitations no doubt, as you stated).

For instance, harms did a great job espousing the all-round game and quality of Sarosi in the Euro draft and he is almost a fixture in the drafts nowdays. It's hardly like Sindelar's low on credentials either, being the star of arguably the first great historic side, going toe to toe with contemporaries such as Meazza and Sarosi, being the stand-out player in the Wunderteam's CEIC win, clinching two Mitropa Cups with a hat-trick against Meazza's Inter in one of the finals, World Cup Silver Ball etc. Of course, you will always have a few posters who will view the pre-war/older generation players with scepticism but that goes with the territory I reckon.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Indeed, but I do think it's achievable. One largely has to go with anecdotal and statistical evidence, but they are hardly an 'inferior form' of evidence as such, for me at the very least (but they do have their limitations no doubt, as you stated).

For instance, harms did a great job espousing the all-round game and quality of Sarosi in the Euro draft and he is almost a fixture in the drafts nowdays. It's hardly like Sindelar's low on credentials either, being the star of arguably the first great historic side, going toe to toe with contemporaries such as Meazza and Sarosi, being the stand-out player in the Wunderteam's CEIC win, clinching two Mitropa Cups with a hat-trick against Meazza's Inter in one of the finals, World Cup Silver Ball etc. Of course, you will always have a few posters who will view the pre-war/older generation players with scepticism but that goes with the territory I reckon.
Very true, very true - it all depends on the reception and the opposition, I suppose.

Selling him in a Euro context is a bit different, however, since you have something very concrete to put on the table there: He undoubtedly shone in the relevant context, and you can back that up with facts and figures (if not HD footage): And then you can pile all the, say, anecdotal evidence on top of that.

Anyway, as a last point I might mention that Lato too would've played a specific part in this Sindelar scheme I was going for: With him frequently operating very narrowly (moving back and forth between the wing and the box, so to speak), I'd have a natural focal point up front when Sindelar drops down: So, it isn't actually a matter of Deyna and Sindelar - simply - interchanging positions (and roles) mechanically (as hinted to above). To put it in somewhat rigid (too rigid) terms: Sindelar drops and becomes the playmaker, Lato moves inside and becomes the striker - and Deyna becomes something like a free man, someone who surges forward as, well, a second striker of sorts. And ideally you then have Armfield (right) and Joya (left) making runs at the same time, giving the now orchestrating Sindelar plenty of options.

That's the theory behind it, if you will.