g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

All Time Reserves Draft | Quarters

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
OK, let's not waste anyone's time

@Aldo I decide not to continue

Congrats @Tuppet
Nah I'm good. It isn't the first time this group has done something like this and it won't be the last. They've driven people out before. No point wasting any more time on here.

Good thing for me is, leaving is an option. And honestly, all they had to do was ask. But anyway, one way or the other...
You're more than welcome to vote big-red, it's just that I know a handful of posters have decided to feck about with this draft. I don't blame them either because it must be maddening to see constant drafts in the forums but we're not disparaging other posters or making rude comments.

This is my last draft anyway.
Cheers everyone who was constructive here.

Sorry @Aldo @The Stain it had to turn out like this. No hard feelings of course.

This was my first draft game and last in the foreseeable future.
We could all be paranoid, I suppose.

Anyway, this is ridiculous. Nobody can deny this match has been ruined, whether from paranoia or other factors. If people want to discuss what Gio touched on above, I'm all for that. But this draft is over for me.
Not to mention that other managers like @harms and some newly voters are offended and likely to retire from the following games.

The Caf community has a message for you:

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
This is the opportunity to innovate in the future regarding the process and the rules.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Sorry if I'm wrong but I don't think there is a large-scale conspiracy aimed at eliminating Aldo.

I guess 3 or 4 voters have voted for BBRBB because he possesses more modern players (mascherano, maicon, thiago silva, godin, buffon...).

I personally prefer a loss 32-26 than a 7-6 loss in my previous game (low vote participation rate & number of posts despite my orange story-telling).

Unfortunately, in the last games, we departed from the core of the game: discussions regarding tactics, players and the history of the game.

We have probably discouraged some new fair voters but I do understand the feelings of Aldo.

Like in the real world, the best team doesn't always win and I am here to bear witness to it :devil:

Last edited:

RedTiger

Half mast
@Downcast I'm not stopping because Of the sabotage, it's just so hectic for me in real life that I haven't really been contributing like normal ( you can ask @Joga_Bonito how shit I've been).

I'm definitely up for another one but maybe we should knock it on the head for a few months considering how pissed off other caftards are with all the draft threads in the footie forums.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Downcast I'm not stopping because Of the sabotage, it's just so hectic for me in real life that I haven't really been contributing like normal ( you can ask @Joga_Bonito how shit I've been).

I'm definitely up for another one but maybe we should knock it on the head for a few months considering how pissed off other caftards are with all the draft threads in the footie forums.
@RedTiger Congrats for your new child. I guess his name is Draft :D

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Sorry if I'm wrong but I don't think there is a large-scale conspiracy aimed at eliminating Aldo.
At this point it doesn't really matter whether you're right or wrong, the damage is done regardless. But for the record, Aldo didn't throw his toys out the pram here - it's clearly more to it than that. It's not the voting itself - as pointed out by several others, that can legitimately happen from time to time (a sudden influx of votes in one direction or the other). So, it's not (simply) that. Read through a couple of the latest match threads, and you'll see that an unusual amount of posters who clearly have no interest in the thing as such pop round just to take the piss.

Anyway, if someone wants to pick up the pieces here and finish the draft, I'm sure Aldo wouldn't mind that. You'll need replacement managers all over the place, though, it would seem.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I've been an advocate in the past for slowing down the pace a bit - and I still think that's not a bad idea, not least because we never actually get around to discussing properly what changes can be made, and so on, because of the constant new drafts being started. But this is different. We shouldn't stop running drafts out of fear of pissing off fellow posters. That would be ridiculous.

If people have a problem with the drafts, they need to say so - that's obviously fair (though I can't imagine why it shouldn't be possible to simply ignore the draft threads - I ignore most threads on the main page myself), and then someone with authority can put their foot down if needed. Until that happens, however, I don't see why we should have to tread lightly here - we haven't done anything wrong.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Chesterlestreet

Hard to draw a distinction between fair voters and unfair voters.

What is the solution? Limit the number of voting members: participating managers + former participating managers ?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
@Chesterlestreet

Hard to draw a distinction between fair voters and unfair voters.
This isn't about voters, mate. Having a poll system will necessarily mean that anyone can throw in a vote (even a sheer piss take) - and that's fair enough, as far as I'm concerned, part of the game, call it what you will. As suggested in the "next idea" thread there are a couple of ideas we could try out, just for the sake of experimenting, but - again - the reason why this particular draft broke down has nothing to do with the voting system as such.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Me too. Maybe you can directly go to semifinals:
smiley - enigma
sjorinvictus - tigerjoga

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
smiley - enigma
sjorinvictus - tigerjoga
Sounds like a good idea.

By the way, to say it yet again, what happened yesterday had nothing whatsoever to do with your team or yourself - it was pure coincidence that you happened to be involved in that match, and you drafted a fine team: Just stressing this, as some of this nonsense will seem more random and bizarre than it actually is to someone who is relatively new round here.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Things have taken an unfortunate turn here. I hope this isn't the end. As someone who doesn't post much in these drafts, I vote quite often. Part scanning, part research. But point is, I always pop into these match ups and I learn quite a bit about footy when I'm interested. I don't vote if I have no clue about the players on show and I have no time to do any sort of research. Guys like @Edgar Allan Pillow are always encouraging some research and participation which I appreciate etc.

I know it's the Internet and we should have fun. I mean these match ups shouldn't be as competitive as they are, but I can understand why. Managers put in a ton of effort in researching and preparing their teams. So it shouldn't really be the thread to take the piss or try and push an agenda. If that is the case as I cannot comment on that.

Anyway, id like these drafts to continue. So I hope it gets sorted, even if it means you only allow managers to vote until things have calmed down a bit.

Enigma_87

You know who
yeah I'm off as well I don't think the draft took much traction or has generated much interest which is a pity.

It was a very good idea but for plenty of reasons at the end just didn't took off.

I don't think voting has part in it as well, as it has always been like that and never it broke down like in this draft. I'd back some of the posters above - it's a good time to probably test something out before the next - whenever that is going to be.

I think this one had too much damage and with all the walkovers is just a big mess to try to sort out the semifinals finals etc. If someone wants to take over I'm more than happy to give over the control, even if it is just to try it out or something new.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
smiley - enigma
sjorinvictus - tigerjoga
Not sure if a hall pass is warranted, and TBH - I personally don't want to do this draft business anymore after yesterday/ today's events - though I'll go along with my manager's decision. If you win - you'll have it on your conscience because you'll always second guess the genuineness of certain votes, and whether you deserved to go through. If you lose, you'll be bitter because maybe, just maybe - an agenda was forced at your expense for a laugh or two. If we're going to persist with this particular limp-dick draft, we should maybe have a pure showcase of the players (sans votes), and discuss the merits of each team - without having a winner - because that's the real spirit behind 'em anyway. Competitiveness, or winning in itself is just a secondary issue.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
After due reflection, I think everyone should continue whatever the outcome.

@BBRBB
@Chesterlestreet

Not sure if a hall pass is warranted, and TBH - I personally don't want to do this draft business anymore after yesterday/ today's events - though I'll go along with my manager's decision. If you win - you'll have it on your conscience because you'll always second guess the genuineness of certain votes, and whether you deserved to go through. If you lose, you'll be bitter because maybe, just maybe - an agenda was forced at your expense for a laugh or two. If we're going to persist with this particular limp-dick draft, we should maybe have a pure showcase of the players (sans votes), and discuss the merits of each team - without having a winner - because that's the real spirit behind 'em anyway. Competitiveness, or winning in itself is just a secondary issue.
:(

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
either we all play or no one plays...as chester and bbrbb wont play, this draft is officially over.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Well...this was a sad way to end what could have been a great draft, but I think the writing was on the wall once Stobz was starting to be AWOL.

I think we should just take a break from these drafts, overall. Maybe a bit of time away from these should bring back some of the excitement towards these.

And @RedTiger, congrats for the newborn! Make him into a passionate football fan if not a Man. Utd. supporter. :devil:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Well...this was a sad way to end what could have been a great draft, but I think the writing was on the wall once Stobz was starting to be AWOL.

I think we should just take a break from these drafts, overall. Maybe a bit of time away from these should bring back some of the excitement towards these.

And @RedTiger, congrats for the newborn! Make him into a passionate football fan if not a Man. Utd. supporter. :devil:
Do you now ?

I personally think the writing was on the wall for the whole thing when you decided you were an authority of every era of football ever despite telling me no more than 13 months ago that you didn't know much about football pre-2000. I'm sure you've fully rounded out your knowledge in a little over a year though.

RedTiger

Half mast
Do you now ?

I personally think the writing was on the wall for the whole thing when you decided you were an authority of every era of football ever despite telling me no more than 13 months ago that you didn't know much about football pre-2000. I'm sure you've fully rounded out your knowledge in a little over a year though.
Come on stobzilla, you know as well as I do that the actual matches come down to a lot of blagging and hardly any any eye witness accounts. That's just the draft game bro.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If we're going to persist with this particular limp-dick draft, we should maybe have a pure showcase of the players (sans votes), and discuss the merits of each team - without having a winner - because that's the real spirit behind 'em anyway.
On that note, a variation on the suggestion I made in the other thread:

For future drafts/match threads:

Shift the focus away from the poll. Make the latter less important. Showcase the players, discuss strengths and weaknesses, tactical dispositions, formations, etc.

Then do the poll as a finishing touch: Just let people vote, no comments from the managers, no further debating (or bickering) from anyone.

Less draft game, more football talk. Part of the problem (and something everyone who has been critical of the current format highlights) is that the managers tend to become overly competitive - more concerned with scoring points than showcasing their players. This is to an extent "fun" for the managers themselves and perhaps even some regulars (who like the drama and the meltdowns), but for readers who aren't directly involved, it's simply tedious and of little value.

With less focus on winning votes (in many cases a futile exercise), both sides of the argument can contribute more objectively to the discussion - without the constant need to downplay the other guy's players, and so forth.

Put it like this: Both managers (and the neutrals, of course) contribute to "play out" a fantasy match where the premise is: What would likely happen if these two XIs came up against each other.

And then, after the discussion has died down and the points on both sides have been made, you slap on a poll to send one of the teams on to the next round. The latter being left entirely to those who want to throw in a vote (preferably after having read the discussion, of course, but people are free to do whatever they please in that regard).

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Do you now ?

So you honestly think that I could not have gained any football knowledge since I asked to be an AM at Skizzo's sheep draft? Ever since I joined the Caf, I was tracking drafts wherever I was as a scanner, briefly reading over discussions and occasionally voting.

Since I got involved, I've learned tons through various sources and got way more involved in match discussions, so don't spout trash about me still knowing nothing.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'd just crack on with the draft. The show must go on and all that. Plus we all look a bit lilly-livered just to wave the white flag at the first sign of choppy waves.

But then again I'm a stubborn cnut who'd persist to the bitter end regardless.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I would also prefer us to finish the draft as we should've

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If you're serious about wrapping it up, you could do it like so:

Tuppet is through.
BBRBB is through (but needs a replacement).
Both Enigma and me are out: Just name a replacement who then picks either team and gets a walkover to the s-f.

Which leaves the last q-f. Play that as normal if Sjor is up for it - if not Tiger/Joga gets a walkover.

Unless Tuppet is out too, you only need two replacement managers.

I'd do it myself, but I really have no gas in the tank for this one - very much commend the initiative, though: It should be wrapped up, it seems like the proper thing to do.

If absolutely nobody turns up, I'll do it - but I really prefer not to, not least since I've made some plans now which aren't ideal.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
id also prefer that we finish the draft, the haters can feck off:wenger:

but i will only play if we all decide to play, lets finish the proper way or not finish at all so i would very much prefer if chester and co. would decide to play even if that means they would do a half arsed job. As the draft master quit we can easily use this few games to test new things(chester, think you had an idea iirc)....

Skizzo

I have a few days before I'm out of the draft business, so I don't mind taking a final stab with someone's team if needed. Just let me know.

As for the votes, I know other forums do it on the basis of PM's. Might not be easy to manage, and could limit voting somewhat since people may not vote if they have to put extra effort in, but a Pm to whoever started the match, with a reasons why, would keep it somewhat honest.

Tuppet

id also prefer that we finish the draft, the haters can feck off:wenger:

but i will only play if we all decide to play, lets finish the proper way or not finish at all so i would very much prefer if chester and co. would decide to play even if that means they would do a half arsed job. As the draft master quit we can easily use this few games to test new things(chester, think you had an idea iirc)....
Its a great solution IMO, lets test the moderator thing, and Balu's limited tactical post idea.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Perhaps the votes of the voters who made obvious wumming messages in the draft thread could be disregarded. Sounds extreme but has to be done if the draft needs to progress with any semblance of normality.

Muffled_Funk, Vidic in Moscow, EdWeatherall, rimaldo, Eboue, Waldner, Lastwolf, marukomu - Chat shit get banged

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I have a few days before I'm out of the draft business, so I don't mind taking a final stab with someone's team if needed. Just let me know.

As for the votes, I know other forums do it on the basis of PM's. Might not be easy to manage, and could limit voting somewhat since people may not vote if they have to put extra effort in, but a Pm to whoever started the match, with a reasons why, would keep it somewhat honest.
Sound like a good idea to me for the time being.