Allan Saint-Maximin

Cathy Ferguson

We could do with such a direct player and good dribbler. Sancho is probably a more creative player and better passer.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Always rated him and got rather nervy when he got the ball against us in our games with them

Wonder why no one has gone for him. definitely has a higher ceiling then Newcastle and many top teams could use his services

RooneyLegend

He's a certified baller, a second striker that carries all sorts of danger. One of the issues imo is he's sometimes used wide, just give him licence to roam and there's trouble everywhere. Bruce is really unfortunate and trash at the same time which is a lethal combination. Wilson would be scoring for fun with ASM in such inspired form.

RooneyLegend

Always rated him and got rather nervy when he got the ball against us in our games with them

Wonder why no one has gone for him. definitely has a higher ceiling then Newcastle and many top teams could use his services
Arsenal should be all over him.

marktan

For those wanting him at utd, where does he actually fit in? Who does he take the place of in the team?
I think he'd be great as a Rw for us. He has pace and dribbling ability to beat a man, and can smack the ball with his left foot. Saint-Max beating players on that side, and picking out Rashford / our striker would help a lot against teams that sit back. Greenwood as backup on the right, Martial / Sancho back up on the left.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think he'd be great as a Rw for us. He has pace and dribbling ability to beat a man, and can smack the ball with his left foot. Saint-Max beating players on that side, and picking out Rashford / our striker would help a lot against teams that sit back. Greenwood as backup on the right, Martial / Sancho back up on the left.
I like him a lot, but it's a number one priority to keep Greenwood developing as quick and much as possible. That kid is going to be a star and he should be a guaranteed starter for us, no question.

432JuanMata

Has been incredibly productive this season for such a bad side. Also too people saying we’re would he fit in here ? Hasn’t Sancho mostly played on the left ? He would fit in on the right and also add some competition for places.
I have a feeling he has a worldie of a season and will cost a bomb

I've been on the ASM train forever. There's nothing I'd love more at United than a maverick 1v1 dribbler to create chaos and inject a bit of life into our duller performances... but that ship sailed with Sancho. We're stacked in the wide positions now. Can't let Amad go under the radar either, not to mention Elanga and Pellistri.

Even though we're stacked as far as talent and quantity goes, I don't think we've got a particularly well balanced collection. I would have preferred the final wide signing to be a dynamic 1v1 dribbler like Grealish or ASM. I've also had big concerns since way before he signed about how Sancho, a heavily system reliant player, would fit in here.

But we've got what we've got, and they're all talented. I can't see us signing a wide player for a long time.

432JuanMata

I've been on the ASM train forever. There's nothing I'd love more at United than a maverick 1v1 dribbler to create chaos and inject a bit of life into our duller performances... but that ship sailed with Sancho. We're stacked in the wide positions now. Can't let Amad go under the radar either, not to mention Elanga and Pellistri.

Even though we're stacked as far as talent and quantity goes, I don't think we've got a particularly well balanced collection. I would have preferred the final wide signing to be a dynamic 1v1 dribbler like Grealish or ASM. I've also had big concerns since way before he signed about how Sancho, a heavily system reliant player, would fit in here.

But we've got what we've got, and they're all talented. I can't see us signing a wide player for a long time.
We obviously won’t sign him for the reasons you mentioned but the only reason people were ever against signing him was his overall stats which didn’t show the whole picture and now this season so far his stats look great yet he isn’t playing much better than last season when fit.
Watching players is way more important than just stats. My cousin who lives with me is a Newcastle fan so I watched a lot of them last season and he was levels above anyone around him

marktan

I like him a lot, but it's a number one priority to keep Greenwood developing as quick and much as possible. That kid is going to be a star and he should be a guaranteed starter for us, no question.
True, I don't want Greenwood to be limited of game time either. It's just he's not a top player yet, so we'll have to weather quite a few subpar performances from him and as a consquence subpar seasons (vs the top wide players) before he becomes truly elite (hopefully). I do think Saint Max would help the team more currently, he beats players for fun which Mason can't do, though Mason is a far better finisher. Ideal situation would've bee if Mason could grow into the CF role but that ship's likely sailed now with signing Ronaldo.

My view on it too. We've got two great finishers in Rashford and Greenwood, 3 great passers in Pogba, Bruno and Sancho, but no one particularly that can dribble well with the ball at pace. Which means teams that sit back and get compact can often negate us as we don't have players that can run at the defence and cause them to get out of shape. But as you say it's done now with the sigining of Sancho, it'll just be a shame for me to watch ASM go to another of the big teams because I know he'll tear it up.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
True, I don't want Greenwood to be limited of game time either. It's just he's not a top player yet, so we'll have to weather quite a few subpar performances from him and as a consquence subpar seasons (vs the top wide players) before he becomes truly elite (hopefully). I do think Saint Max would help the team more currently, he beats players for fun which Mason can't do, though Mason is a far better finisher. Ideal situation would've bee if Mason could grow into the CF role but that ship's likely sailed now with signing Ronaldo.

My view on it too. We've got two great finishers in Rashford and Greenwood, 3 great passers in Pogba, Bruno and Sancho, but no one particularly that can dribble well with the ball at pace. Which means teams that sit back and get compact can often negate us as we don't have players that can run at the defence and cause them to get out of shape. But as you say it's done now with the sigining of Sancho, it'll just be a shame for me to watch ASM go to another of the big teams because I know he'll tear it up.
Strange take. Greenwood is already better at 19 than ASM will ever be truth be told. Pretty dribbling doesn’t equal great player.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He’s someone who’s absolutely gagging to make the next step up, he’d be a very worthy investment, depending on his contract situation of course.

Pickle85

Lovely player to watch but hasn't yet demonstrated that he can provide the end product and I doubt he ever will. I'm bracketing him with Traore.

Blood Mage

He would have suited the way we play better than Sancho does, even if Sancho is the more talented player. He'd also slot in more naturally on the right.

Chief123

From a friend of mine who is a Newcastle fan, I asked him why a big team hasn’t come in for him yet.

He said he was too inconsistent with his good performances. For every good game he would have 2 average games. And his gripe was there was a poor conversion of end product.

InfiniteBoredom

He had something like 8 goals in 2 full seasons. You are just getting a more dribbly Dan James.

Mane’s success seems to leave people with the impression that those wingers/wide forwards who are good at beating their marker can seamlessly make the step up, while overlooking their productivity. Mane had 23 goals 18 assists in 50 apps in his last season in Germany, then 13 goals 9 assists in 40 apps and 15 goals 9 assists in 43 apps respectively in his 2 seasons at Soton, before 13 goals 8 assists in 29 apps in his first season at Pool. He has always been productive and essentially maintain that with each step up. It’s fanciful to believe that just by making the step up would help ASM suddenly doubling or tripling his end product.

EtH

The latest Caf obsession with a nothing player from a midtable team. Probably better than Adama Traore though.

Blood Mage

Maybe swap him for Sancho eh??
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Never said that. Sancho is the more talented footballer and he will adapt to our team in time and be a huge success, but ASM would have made a more immediate impact because he suits 'Ole ball' better with his direct running and pace.

The_Midfielder

I doubt he can surpass Greenwood now.. The boy is scoring/assisting every game

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
For those wanting him at utd, where does he actually fit in? Who does he take the place of in the team?
Bench. Also if we sign him, his thread will be full of "brain dead player" "should improve decision making" "low IQ player" posts.

Would love him at ManUtd, very good option to have. Always fun to watch players who are awesome dribblers.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
From a friend of mine who is a Newcastle fan, I asked him why a big team hasn’t come in for him yet.

He said he was too inconsistent with his good performances. For every good game he would have 2 average games. And his gripe was there was a poor conversion of end product.
I'll take your word for it as I don't watch Newcastle consistently to have any authority over them but even then surely he's worth taking a punt over?
Seeing the massive amount spent over unproven commodities like pepe for 70 mil surely an already pl experienced winger who is young as well is reasonable risk to take

Superden

You only need to watch him for 5 mins to realise he's a proper player. One would that would shine in a team with better players.
Too many are obsessed with statistical analysis and can't see the wood for the trees.

roonster09

Scout
You only need to watch him for 5 mins to realise he's a proper player. One would that would shine in a team with better players.
Too many are obsessed with statistical analysis and can't see the wood for the trees.
Or you can say they see more than just dribbling ability.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Its not the players that are good we just made them look good. Saint-McManaman is an average player.

Wheato

Rashford will come back like a new signing. He looked like beast in training yesterday. He’ll get loads of space with Ronaldo occupying the centre backs.

Ekeke

Fast and an effective dribbler, but he's been that. His stats for dribbling in France were at the top too. He's a year younger and with a bit more consistent end product than Adama Traore over the years and obviously his purple patch is right now rather than a couple of seasons ago with Adama.

pascell

He would have suited the way we play better than Sancho does, even if Sancho is the more talented player. He'd also slot in more naturally on the right.
Be honest, how many times have you watched Sancho play, other than for United and the odd Dortmund CL & International game?

I'm going to say, not a lot. I say this because Sancho output, consistencyand overall level of talent, even being 3 years younger than Saint-Maximin, is far superior.

Young players adapting to new leagues don't always hit the ground running.

Bobski

Fast and an effective dribbler, but he's been that. His stats for dribbling in France were at the top too. He's a year younger and with a bit more consistent end product than Adama Traore over the years and obviously his purple patch is right now rather than a couple of seasons ago with Adama.
Just a better final third player, Traore can be brilliant between the boxes but he just doesn't have the goal threat when it matters. ASM in a better team could be massively frustrating, he does make a ton of dumb decisions(but any dribbler who consistently tries the difficult, outside of Messi, will fall into that category) but he also hurts teams.

Also add in that Traore due to his bulk is a 60 min player.

Last edited:

Superden

Or you can say they see more than just dribbling ability.
when you read all about the importance of transitions etc, the to have players who can beat a man with a dribble is a godsend. and its very rare. just see any matchday thread on the caf and the absolute howls of outrage everytime rashford or james et al fail to get past a man. there arent many dribblers about and if used properly it could give a team a great offensive weapon.....

Superden

and just to add to my last point, its actually great fun to watch a player dribble around others. id rather watch a game with wing wizards going at it full tilt than tiki taka merchants anyday of the week...

marktan

He had something like 8 goals in 2 full seasons. You are just getting a more dribbly Dan James.

Mane’s success seems to leave people with the impression that those wingers/wide forwards who are good at beating their marker can seamlessly make the step up, while overlooking their productivity. Mane had 23 goals 18 assists in 50 apps in his last season in Germany, then 13 goals 9 assists in 40 apps and 15 goals 9 assists in 43 apps respectively in his 2 seasons at Soton, before 13 goals 8 assists in 29 apps in his first season at Pool. He has always been productive and essentially maintain that with each step up. It’s fanciful to believe that just by making the step up would help ASM suddenly doubling or tripling his end product.
It's not a fair comparison is why. ASM has 2 goals and 2 assists in 3 games this season, and if you watch him match to match you can see he could easily raise his output in a better team. Against Leeds, he dribbled their defences quite a few times and got a strong shot off that Meslier saved. His dribbling, passing and finishing are already top tier.

The problem is he has to do dribble each time to do that. He passes the ball to Joelinton and like in the Leeds game it's likely the ball will be lost. In his first season he set up quite a few chances to Joelinton and Almiron and both fluffed their lines.

Mane had a far better team at Southampton - people forget that team had Tadic, Graziano Pelle, Wanyama, Romeu, Van Djik, Fonte, Bertrand all near to their primes. Aside from Callum Wilson who's injured a lot there's very little quality in that Newcastle side.

roonster09

Scout
when you read all about the importance of transitions etc, the to have players who can beat a man with a dribble is a godsend. and its very rare. just see any matchday thread on the caf and the absolute howls of outrage everytime rashford or james et al fail to get past a man. there arent many dribblers about and if used properly it could give a team a great offensive weapon.....
They also get lot of shit when they don't pick right pass after dribble. Like I said he would be called all the shit names like low "IQ player" "No end product" if he plays for us.

I would love to see players like this at ManUtd, very exciting player. For me him and Adama are sort of players whose impact can't be shown in stats.