g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Allan Saint-Maximin

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I’d argue the flip side — beating players is all good and that, but final third numbers are king. The step up from being a midtable winger to being a genuine option for a top 6 side requires a a lot more than being good at dribbling.

Don’t get me wrong, ASM is probably one of the best dribblers in the league, and in an ideal world I’m sure Pep/Klopp/Ole et al. would love a player like this in their side — but not at more than an option which just isn’t worth the outrageous numbers he’ll cost.

He may dribble and have pace in a way someone a lot less glamorous in his play like say, Harvey Barnes does, but the latter scores and assists at a rate ASM just doesn’t. Possibly can’t.
I almost definitely do overvalue players who can beat a player, and you’ll know that from my boner for Adama :D

I didn’t realise his numbers had been quite as low as they’re before he came to England. He would need to have a season where he massively upped his productivity in the final third. He’s good at either beating the press or even a static defender, but will have to add either creating shots for himself or his team to make a jump up to a big side, especially as you said if he wanted to make the move to a top 6 side.

I think the positions he takes up don’t always lend themselves to goalscoring, and I think a small part of that is he likes to be the one running at the opposition, as opposed to running through on to the ball (in part because of some of the players he’s surrounded by).

I think he’s very talented, but I also can’t disagree with any of what you’ve said.

Tarrou

I’ve never rated this guy much.. and as is the custom these days I’m going to hold on to that opinion for dear life even as it becomes more and more obvious I was completely wrong..

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
@Cascarino it’s an interesting one — almost all the best dribbling wingers/attackers in the league are players who play for midtable sides; Adama, ASM, Zaha, Grealish.

Coincidence? Does being the main man in these sides give them freedom to go dribble crazy in a way the bigger sides don’t?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
@Cascarino it’s an interesting one — almost all the best dribbling wingers/attackers in the league are players who play for midtable sides; Adama, ASM, Zaha, Grealish.

Coincidence? Does being the main man in these sides give them freedom to go dribble crazy in a way the bigger sides don’t?
Oh yeah I definitely agree that players in those sides have much more agency to take players on in terms of averages than players at the top clubs. They’re usually the key men and their fellow players on average won’t be as talented, so they’ll get more opportunities to showcase their dribbling. In the top sides you’ll have a Messi who’s allowed to lose it a lot, but then you’re talking about arguably the best player of all time. Players like KDB and Fernandes also have permission to give it away often, though through the medium of passing and it’s because they’re world class and the returns are worth it.

I think a lot of these players can make the step up, depending on the team they’re moving to and their approach to the game. The likes of Liverpool bought well with Mane and Jota, two players who were technically skilful but faced criticisms of inconsistency. Once they adapted and learned how to play within the framework of playing with a better side they also managed to add productivity to their game.

This isn’t to say I think ASM is the finished article, or even ready to make the step up now. He has excellent technical ability, even when playing against defensive sides he’s able to create space for himself. I think he can drop in and out of games, and could do with getting to grips with asserting himself more, especially when Newcastle are up against it.

P.S watch Traore fly next season:D

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I’ve never rated this guy much.. and as is the custom these days I’m going to hold on to that opinion for dear life even as it becomes more and more obvious I was completely wrong..
Here here.

Zoo

Kind of player you might take a risk on when you’re already a good team. He’s not what we need now though.

marktan

So with Buendia and JWP off to Villa, I'm sure my other target for United will be bought by someone else
Our transfer lists aren't too different, my ideal summer would've been
- Saint max - 55m
- Buendia - 30m
- Bissouma / some DM - 40m
- Trippier / attacking RB - 20m

Doable for close to £100m net if we sell the likes of Lingard, Williams, and offload Van Den Beek for around half his signing fee.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Our transfer lists aren't too different, my ideal summer would've been
- Saint max - 55m
- Buendia - 30m
- Bissouma / some DM - 40m
- Trippier / attacking RB - 20m

Doable for close to £100m net if we sell the likes of Lingard, Williams, and offload Van Den Beek for around half his signing fee.
Glad someone else see's sense :drool:

georgipep

I think it's mainly two things:
1. Playing for a mid/bottom table club means playing deeper in your own half, leaving more space to dribble into.
2. In the highest levels of the game players (and coaches) appreciate that it's a percentages game. What gives the team the highest chance to score? Keeping possession or a mazy dribble?

g11

He is lively on the ball - made Rice looks like a school boy with New Castle’s first goal.
I take him over some one like Jling or Pereira or Mata in our team at the moment.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Great to have as luxury, skillfull gifted player, but one turn too many.. makes you want to throttle him. Losing the ball to Rice initiated that second half collapse, he never made an amends for it, but Newcastle defenders are just shit anyway.

Tarrou

gotta admit he's class

I've been saying he's not all that for about two years now, and it's become a ridiculous opinion :lol:

Based Adnan

He's fun to watch that's for sure. Have a feeling he'd be very frustrating if he was playing for us though.

Delano

Don't think he's disciplined enough to start for Big teams, with the emphasis on game plans over individuals. But what an option he'd be to change a game.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Yeah, he has 'it'. Whoever signs him will be getting a gem. Had me nervous all game.

Theo88

He needs better scorers around him newcastle are just a horrible team.

Sylar

He for sure needs a better platform. Right now for Newcastle it's hoof it out and let's hope he does something

He's much much better than Newcastle

Abraxas

Can't believe he's still at Newcastle to be honest. Absolutely superb dribbler. A bit of a maverick in such a poor side, if he can be worked into a more cohesive unit rather than being this individual he could be quite scary to face. With Newcastle you know it probably won't amount to much.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Think he would be great for Spurs

Teja

He would be a terror in a better side. Think he’s better than Adama and offers more in the final third.
Yup agree with this. Not a tank like Adama but strong enough to shrug off PL level defenders. Giving off Mane vibes right now - one of the big teams has to take a punt.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s another who excites but he just doesn’t have that inherent decision making in the final third to be a weapon for the teams higher up the table.

I think he’s certainly better than his current club, but not substantially so.

DeGea

He needs a bit more coaching in terms of technique, but the raw materials are there. He has the potential to evolve into a very good player under the right coach. A coach who is good at developing technique, someone like Wenger for example when he was at Arsenal.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Contract until 2026 - unfortunately for him he's going to find it difficult getting out of Newcastle, I mean they wanted £50m for Longstaff.

izec

Yup agree with this. Not a tank like Adama but strong enough to shrug off PL level defenders. Giving off Mane vibes right now - one of the big teams has to take a punt.
Mane had a much better output. Mane wasnt as fancy, but was a level above at Southampton easily. Saint Maximin is good with the ball and looks threatening, but not often enough something good happens at the end of it.

Dont think he is good enough for a top team. I'd say Wolves, West Ham, Everton. That is his level currently.

Trequarista10

I thought Almiron was better today, in fact he's impressed me every time I've seen him (which is admittedly only a handful of times).

Oranges038

One of those that will probably struggle in a bigger team because he will have less space to attack and will be closed down more quickly.

That being said, him and Traore in the same team would be a good side to watch. I predict 0 goals, 0 assists but about 20 dribbles each per game.