Allan Saint-Maximin

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Probably but that's not saying much, like I said he is a good player.
Moura better as sub for last 30 minutes but surprised me just looking now he started 25 prem games last season for Spurs (including many when Kane and Son were fit) so think that shows ASM would be a regular starter at top 6.

Better than Pepe aswell so he'd be regularly starting at Arsenal aswell imo.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Moura better as sub for last 30 minutes but surprised me just looking now he started 25 prem games last season for Spurs (including many when Kane and Son were fit) so think that shows ASM would be a regular starter at top 6.

Better than Pepe aswell so he'd be regularly starting at Arsenal aswell imo.
Lucas plays mostly RW where he has practically no competition bar a injury prone Lamela.

MattofManchester

He needs to release the ball quicker. The amount of times he dribbled and held on to the ball till he lost it would have a top side screaming their lungs off at him.

Decision making needs improvement in that regard, but he's an interesting player all round.

Bobski

Elite dribbling ability, above average athleticism, and not much else. Very talented in his niche but I don't see enough for a top club.

Mark Pawelek

I think he has massive potential personally, the basic technical attributes he has could see him develop similarly to Mane. Works very hard and stands out in an otherwise poor Newcastle side.

If United had a strategy of any sort I'd be looking at him for around £35-40m. It's those types of players you develop into great players. We seem to instead wait around until they have a Graelish like season and then get interested at £100m.
His contract runs to 2026. Villa rate Grealish at £80m and Newcastle think Sean Longstaff is a £50m player after playing 10 matches.

Devil may care

He's the most entertaining player they've had since the Keegan years with Ginola and Asprilla, he's a classic big fish small pond player, fun to watch at another club whose goal each season is just to stay up but would be frustrating to have in your own team when you're hoping to compete for trophies.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Was atrocious against us. Surprised me. Playing like a hot shot weekend pick up game player.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He needs to release the ball quicker. The amount of times he dribbled and held on to the ball till he lost it would have a top side screaming their lungs off at him.

Decision making needs improvement in that regard, but he's an interesting player all round.
Was atrocious against us. Surprised me. Playing like a hot shot weekend pick up game player.
We did a great job of shutting him down. As soon as he got it he had to beat 3/4 players, we didn’t let him breathe.

the few times he did get space he did something, nearly got an assist for wilson but de Gea pulled out a great save.

similarly to zaha I think he’d do better in a team with more distractions.

marktan

I recall Mane not having great performances against us when he was at Southampton, there were a lot of 'meh' and 'not very good' in Manes threads too.

DarkXaero

Yep, that's what I observed too. His dribbling was a constant threat to us, but he held on to the ball too long almost every time. He needs to look up more when dribbling for passing options. The talent is there though.

tomaldinho1

Lucas plays mostly RW where he has practically no competition bar a injury prone Lamela.
Has he not been quite good when played as the main striker for you? Appreciate that role is clearly Kane's when fit but think it suits him way more than being wide.

marktan

I know some members of the caf don't watch Newcastle that regularly, but last night's game is a prime example of why I'd love for us to sign Saint-Maximin.

As good as Rashford and Greenwood are, neither are natural dribblers. Rashford tried to beat his man multiple times, and failed. Saint-Maximin on the otherhand, regularly beats his man multiple times every game, and is probably one of best pure pace and technique dribblers in the league. Newcastle's best player in basically every match, and a big reason why they went on a win streak was him coming back from injury.

A player like that, when faced against a low block, can unlock space for the rest of the team. We desperately need an attacker that can beat a man and create space for Bruno, Greenwood, Cavani. Too often, like last night, it's all too static making it easy for the defenders. We haven't had a proper dribbler since Nani in 2011. We have enough finishers and passers, we desperately need dribbling flair on the wide positions too.

For £40-50m that he'd be priced at he'd be a steal, imo. Some people will bring up end product, but his final ball and pass on the run is actually very good, it's just Newcastle defend quite deep and don't actually get near the final box that often, combined with some very poor finishing over the last two seasons from Joelinton and Almiron. I have no doubt at a team like ours he'd do a very similar Mane like role (well Mane pre this season anyway).

The Irish Connection

I know some members of the caf don't watch Newcastle that regularly, but last night's game is a prime example of why I'd love for us to sign Saint-Maximin.

As good as Rashford and Greenwood are, neither are natural dribblers. Rashford tried to beat his man multiple times, and failed. Saint-Maximin on the otherhand, regularly beats his man multiple times every game, and is probably one of best pure pace and technique dribblers in the league. Newcastle's best player in basically every match, and a big reason why they went on a win streak was him coming back from injury.

A player like that, when faced against a low block, can unlock space for the rest of the team. We desperately need an attacker that can beat a man and create space for Bruno, Greenwood, Cavani. Too often, like last night, it's all too static making it easy for the defenders. We haven't had a proper dribbler since Nani in 2011. We have enough finishers and passers, we desperately need dribbling flair on the wide positions too.

For £40-50m that he'd be priced at he'd be a steal, imo. Some people will bring up end product, but his final ball and pass on the run is actually very good, it's just Newcastle defend quite deep and don't actually get near the final box that often, combined with some very poor finishing over the last two seasons from Joelinton and Almiron. I have no doubt at a team like ours he'd do a very similar Mane like role (well Mane pre this season anyway).
I agree. Traore from Wolves would be good too. They are both exceptional in the dribble/take ons department.

JB7

I agree. Traore from Wolves would be good too. They are both exceptional in the dribble/take ons department.
No he would not. I know a lot of Wolves fans & they would piss themselves at the thought of Adama stepping up to a club at Uniteds level.

marktan

Adama is a good pacey dribbler but he's not as technical as Saint-Maximin, and his final ball isn't quite as good. That said he's not as bad as a lot of people make him out be, particularly since without Jimenez no one at wolves can score.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Can't see us going for a forward with 5 full seasons of first team football under his belt who has never scored more than 6 goals in all competitions in any of those seasons, even if half of them might have been Puskas contenders.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
The problem with Traore is that he dribbles & dribbles but very rarely does anything with the ball at the end of the dribble. Saint-Maximin actually produces. Big difference !!

The Irish Connection

Haha. I find it funny how people hate Traore so much. Watch Wolves, he’s often the only one who does anything. Look at his dribbles/take on stats, they’re the best in the league by far.
I watched them recently and he beat the full back and put in good crosses every time (several).
I’d much rather have him coming off the bench than Dan James or Mata. Very few players can do what he and Saint Maximain do, and for me, it’s a joy to watch.

Harold_Giles

I love watching Saint-Maximin play, a real entertainer. His injury record is a bit worrying though, missed quite a few games over the last couple of seasons.

Adama is also fun to watch. However I don't know if he has the technique to be a success at a big club that faces low block defenses most of the time.
From what I've seen, most of his best work happens when he is bursting from the middle of the park, leaving defenders in smoke.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
You'd swop him for Lucas Moura I'm sure.
He probably is about the same as Moura, but for Spurs you would swap him for Bergwyn or Lamela before Moura.

Having said that none of them are anywhere near Son.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
No way Newcastle will sell ASM for £50M, unless he is in his last year of his contract.

Just checked, contract is up in 2026.

flappyjay

Saint maximin is similar to Zaha and Grealish to their teams they are the difference between pl football and relegation. It would take amounts close to what dortmund want for Sancho to get Grealish and just below that for Saint maximin

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Comfortably more interested in him than Traore who is pants. But yeah we should be aiming for better than both.
Exactly, Utd should be looking at someone like Son over just about anyone being mentioned, Traore, Saint Maximum, Moura, w/e.

diarm

The way Saint-Maximin goes past players reminds me of a young Cristiano. Not saying for a second that he's of that level but just the way he glides past tackles brings me back to watching Ronaldo break through.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The way Saint-Maximin goes past players reminds me of a young Cristiano. Not saying for a second that he's of that level but just the way he glides past tackles brings me back to watching Ronaldo break through.
He’s not though.

He actually looks more elegant. Ronaldo has a unique way of running and dribbling but ASM kind of glides

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I like him as a player but I'm always wary of someone skillful and quick who plays for a smaller club. I don't mean it as insult but by definition they will be expected to lose more than they win, and thus the opposition often feel more comfortable attacking with numbers. ASM pretty much always has space to run into. I do wonder how he'd perform against a team with 11 behind the ball. Feel like he'd essentially become as useful as Dan James for us in that scenario. We need better passers/crossers in that area and a good midfield base to build from.

diarm

He’s not though.

He actually looks more elegant. Ronaldo has a unique way of running and dribbling but ASM kind of glides
Modern day and recent decade Ronaldo yes, but back then I thought he glided as you say.

diarm

If they priced Longcock at 50m, feck knows what they’d price ASM at
I have a Newcastle fanatic mate and he got genuinely upset with me for asking how much he'd cost. They love him up there like no player since Shearer.

He seems a thoroughly decent bloke as well.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I really like him but I genuinely believe that his amazing dribbling is the reason for his injuries. A blessing and a curse at the same time. He is better than Traore at dribbling with the ball.

UpWithRivers

I also have my doubts about him. I dont think he has the complete skillset to be a top top player. Plus we dont really need him. But I would love to get him just because he is such an exciting player to watch. Sometimes its just about the entertainment.

marktan

Exactly, Utd should be looking at someone like Son over just about anyone being mentioned, Traore, Saint Maximum, Moura, w/e.
Son has been pretty poor for a while though, and isn't a natural dribbler. He's basically what Rashford is but better. I think we need someone that can dribble past players more.

I like him as a player but I'm always wary of someone skillful and quick who plays for a smaller club. I don't mean it as insult but by definition they will be expected to lose more than they win, and thus the opposition often feel more comfortable attacking with numbers. ASM pretty much always has space to run into. I do wonder how he'd perform against a team with 11 behind the ball. Feel like he'd essentially become as useful as Dan James for us in that scenario. We need better passers/crossers in that area and a good midfield base to build from.
He's a very good close control dribbler, he'd do well against teams that defend deep in my opinion.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Son has been pretty poor for a while though, and isn't a natural dribbler. He's basically what Rashford is but better. I think we need someone that can dribble past players more.

He's a very good close control dribbler, he'd do well against teams that defend deep in my opinion.
So is Martial (or was) and he struggles against those kinds of sides a lot.