Allan Saint-Maximin

The Irish Connection

I heard that the domestic window doesn’t close for another bit, could we sign him after Monday? Obviously wouldn’t happen, and he’s more of a left winger, but a good director of football would have lined him up once sancho was out of the question.

marktan

I heard that the domestic window doesn’t close for another bit, could we sign him after Monday? Obviously wouldn’t happen, and he’s more of a left winger, but a good director of football would have lined him up once sancho was out of the question.
I think he can be just as good on the right. Just gave a cracking assist from there. He's naturally so good on the ball and can twist and turn that he'd be a threat on either side.

JuriM

He would get murdered if he is in top 6 side, he is pretty injury prone.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Good talent, but I swear he doesn't last long on the pitch. If he fecks up and makes a mistake he signals to the bench to come off and does the same when he scores as if to say job done I want to come off now. Won't last 90 minutes. Just checked his last three games 74' 32' and now 71' mins.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Wouldn't fit our style, he can actually dribble. We would train that out of him straight away.
It is true. We have done it with the lot of our players who could dribble over the years.

Good talent, but I swear he doesn't last long on the pitch. If he fecks up and makes a mistake he signals to the bench to come off and does the same when he scores as if to say job done I want to come off now. Won't last 90 minutes. Just checked his last three games 74' 32' and now 71' mins.
He has been carrying an ankle problem for some time now. Not sure why he does not get it dealt with fully.

Last edited:

marktan

It is true. We have done it with the lot of our players who could dribble over the years.

He has been carrying an ankle problem for some time now. Not sure why he does not getting it dealt with fully.
Probably because Newcastle look like half the team without him, so they keep rushing him back.

The Irish Connection

Which wingers have United had that were similar?
Valencia, Giggs, Ronaldo, Kanchelskis, then before my time- Steve Coppell, George Best, Sammy mcilroy. I would also argue Beckham, not because he was similar in taking players on at pace, but just that he was a great winger who stayed wide.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Who is the next Saint Maxi playing in France? What about Ikone if Dortmund are considering him to replace sancho? Someone a little cheaper maybe so we can go back for sancho next year. There has to be a few good right wingers in France that are worth a punt? Maybe along with Pellistri we could try and grab another few South American prospects to fill out the squad.

Rossa

Valencia, Giggs, Ronaldo, Kanchelskis, then before my time- Steve Coppell, George Best, Sammy mcilroy. I would also argue Beckham, not because he was similar in taking players on at pace, but just that he was a great winger who stayed wide.
None of the ones after 92, prior to that I do not remember, were not similar. Both players you mention are flashy, strong, pacy dribblers. If you combine Nani and Valencia, then maybe, but Giggs and Traore are about as different as Aguero and Lukaku. Completely different players all around.

ti vu

It's between the different division IIRC (PL vs Championship).

The Irish Connection

None of the ones after 92, prior to that I do not remember, were not similar. Both players you mention are flashy, strong, pacy dribblers. If you combine Nani and Valencia, then maybe, but Giggs and Traore are about as different as Aguero and Lukaku. Completely different players all around.
I failed your test. :(
I disagree though, all the players I mentioned apart from Beckham were brilliant at beating their men in their prime. Valencia was very similar and so was kanchelskis, drop the shoulder and go. Yes, Traore is built like a super hero but ultimately, he’s great at just beating his man with pace and skill. That’s the classic United winger, and also entertainment, the theater of dreams. Fergie talked about giggs always creating penetration (cheers 12 year olds) and that about sums it up. You’re fixating on Traores muscles. Ronaldo another brilliant player, especially in his time with us, at taking on defenders with pace and tricks. Everyone apart from Beckham had that in spades. Nani too, especially in that stand out season he had. Zaha would have been another similar player if Fergie was able to stay on.
Lee sharpe and Ben thornley also to lesser extents.
I’m sure there were a few more from busby and on.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Surprised Newcastle kept hold of him so easily in the summer. Given it's Ashley they'd probably sell for 40m and given he's stil young and has been very productive in last six months he's on an upward trajectory as a player now.

The Irish Connection

Surprised Newcastle kept hold of him so easily in the summer. Given it's Ashley they'd probably sell for 40m and given he's stil young and has been very productive in last six months he's on an upward trajectory as a player now.
Obviously the injuries might be something to keep an eye on, but if he could stay fit and you could get him for under 50m you’d be laughing.

diarm

I've wanted us to sign him for ages. After Sancho I think he'd be my next choice.

There's something about the way he runs at people with the ball that reminds me of Ronaldo when he first joined us.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I would genuinely be very happy if he came to United. He has special ability, and if he develops could become very good indeed.

Plus, his name is Allan. Brilliant to have an Allan on the team.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's so damn likeable :lol:

And there's a lot of potential there, too. Think he could be big for a top side, his dribbling is fantastic and his passing is good. The kind of player who could really flourish next to great players

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He is a nice guy but he would never make it at a top side, simply not enough positive outcomes for him. Hes like a lite Ginola (who I worshipped at his time with Spurs).

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Man Utd missed out on a brilliant winger. Instead of pursuing Sancho this is the one player they should have signed, possibly for less than half the cost of Sancho. Still only 23.

TsuWave

Absolute baller. Passes the name test with flying colours (has to be the coolest footballer name around) and a likeable kid too :drool:

marktan

He is a nice guy but he would never make it at a top side, simply not enough positive outcomes for him. Hes like a lite Ginola (who I worshipped at his time with Spurs).
What do you mean by not enough positive outcomes? He can beat players for fun, can shoot, can pass.. He's already playing at a high level for Newcastle. I 100% think he'd improve in a top team as he'd get a lot more chances and a lot more assists with better strikers.

I for some morbid reason watch a lot of Newcastle games, and he gets fouled like 10 times every game. I'd love a player like that at United, we haven't had a proper dribbling wide player since Nani back on 2012

archiebald

The guy is built like a running back and beats his man as easy as snapping his fingers. Pace, dribbling ability, strength; he's everything you would want in a PL winger.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's so damn likeable :lol:

And there's a lot of potential there, too. Think he could be big for a top side, his dribbling is fantastic and his passing is good. The kind of player who could really flourish next to great players
Yeah he looks like he has a lot of potential from what I've seen. Really electric. One of those players that could remain on the outskirts of the top clubs if he doesn't develop but could definitely join one and have a positive impact of his mentality is right and he makes a few major strides. The raw talent is there.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
What do you mean by not enough positive outcomes? He can beat players for fun, can shoot, can pass.. He's already playing at a high level for Newcastle. I 100% think he'd improve in a top team as he'd get a lot more chances and a lot more assists with better strikers.

I for some morbid reason watch a lot of Newcastle games, and he gets fouled like 10 times every game. I'd love a player like that at United, we haven't had a proper dribbling wide player since Nani back on 2012
You already have Dan James who gets fouled enough. What I mean is he doesnt score or assist enough, hes technically brilliant I agree but I don't think he will ver get 10-15 goals a season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You already have Dan James who gets fouled enough. What I mean is he doesnt score or assist enough, hes technically brilliant I agree but I don't think he will ver get 10-15 goals a season.
You will be proved wrong on the lack of goals for sure

Skills

Snitch
Man Utd missed out on a brilliant winger. Instead of pursuing Sancho this is the one player they should have signed, possibly for less than half the cost of Sancho. Still only 23.
The time to sign him would've been last summer not this summer. He cost about the same as Dan James last season, but now he's at Newcastle and locked in a 6 year contract (with 5 years left).

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don't think i will, but really its just opinion. He has never been prolific even in youth teams, its why he is at Newcastle.
Not really about being prolific but I think his end product will improve over time. Towards end of last season and start of this he already looks to me to have improved there.

Many good goalscoring wide players were not prolific at youth level or start of their careers as goalscoring wasnt their focus

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Not really about being prolific but I think his end product will improve over time. Towards end of last season and start of this he already looks to me to have improved there.

Many good goalscoring wide players were not prolific at youth level or start of their careers as goalscoring wasnt their focus
Time will tell.

Monks_United

Which is along the lines of Adama Traore having improved output compared to when he just came to England which while true still doesn't instill any confidence in me that he will turn out to be consistent with his throughput. The reason why I talked about Traore here is that I rate both him and St. Maximin similarly and think they have similar attributes in being able to beat their man, dribbling, strength on the ball etc. Where both come undone is in terms of playing intelligently against a low block. Give them little to no space and they just don't affect games enough. Brilliant for counter attacking teams and seriously lacking for any team that has a large share of possession