Allegri keen to join Arsenal

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Wenger still has at least another two seasons in him IMO. Plenty could change in that time.
I think the first time he misses out on the top four he'll be on his way. Probably a little unfair but he's not won the league in over a decade despite solid investment.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
If (big IFs) 1) Wenger holds on another year and 2) Tuchel doesn't extend at Dortmund, I wouldn't be surprised to see Arsenal and Tuchel teaming up.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I think the first time he misses out on the top four he'll be on his way. Probably a little unfair but he's not won the league in over a decade despite solid investment.
Can't see him wanting to leave on a low note like that. Should probably have left after one of the FA Cup wins.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can't see him wanting to leave on a low note like that. Should probably have left after one of the FA Cup wins.
Isn't he on a rolling deal? I might be wrong, I just get the impression they'd move on from him but for his perennial hitting of financial targets.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Isn't he on a rolling deal? I might be wrong, I just get the impression they'd move on from him but for his perennial hitting of financial targets.
More like arsenal board are scared to lose out top 4, pl teams are in a very solid financial position these days you don't need a Wenger to make profit, specially for a londoj club as big as arsenal.

Besides new manager will work on a budget set by the board anyway, i dont think the new manager will be forced to spend nothing, anything between 50-100m per season is quite normal these days.

I dont think Wenger has it in him anymore to win a title, he understands what it takes to get to top 4 like the back of his hand, but beyond that I'm not sure he has the drive anymore.

It's about time i guess

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
A lot of my Arsenal-supporting mates say there is absolutely 0% chance of Wenger getting sacked in any (realistic) circumstances, and that he'd have to leave. I could definitely see him leaving in the summer.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Be interesting if it happens. Allegri's a defensive manager in the mould of capello, the kind of guy who's teams are very good at making the oppos play badly. Makes for a lot of boring games, but at arsenal he'd have the personnel already in place(only need a couple signings) and he's always got results.

Would much rather see Tuchel or Sarri take the job though

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
I was big Tuchel fan, but now i still see him a bit too naive.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not under the impression your execs care a lot about fans' opinions when it comes to appointing managers or signing players. :wenger: I'd be actually surprised if Arsenal hadn't already tried to get Tuchel's committment.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
A lot of my Arsenal-supporting mates say there is absolutely 0% chance of Wenger getting sacked in any (realistic) circumstances, and that he'd have to leave. I could definitely see him leaving in the summer.
Correct. Wenger has been underachieving for a long time but the past three seasons, in particular, have been big chances for us to make a go at the league. Despite this, the owner has already offered him a new contract.

I would love nothing more than a manager who can organise a defence to take over us because we have an abundance of attacking talent. Anyway, it's not worth talking about because Wenger will sign a new deal and we'll be stuck in limbo for another few years.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I would be quite happy with Allegri or Tuchel. Although what Arsenal desperately needs is a footballing Director like Monchi (Sev) or Rangnick (RBL) to provide a much more long term plan and keep it consistent irrespective of manager. More than anything else what needs to be removed is the one man Manager-dictator model as its outdated for modern football economics.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not under the impression your execs care a lot about fans' opinions when it comes to appointing managers or signing players. :wenger: I'd be actually surprised if Arsenal hadn't already tried to get Tuchel's committment.
Dortmund are the team i follow in Germany. Tuchel makes them play so well, with free-flowing football. They are like a storm of fighter aircraft when they attack. The problem is that they have no organization at the back.

CM

I think Allegri would actually be a good fit for Arsenal if they ever decide to move on from Wenger, which they probably won't.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I reckon the Arsenal board are crapping their collective pants at the thought they'll "do a United".

Think his successor will have to keep the current back room staff for a while if he himself doesn't have an aura around him.

Good luck Arse fans.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Disgusting that they aren't going for Moyes - British managers overlooked yet again! :mad:

MounchesterUtd

Will be the best thing to happen to Arsenal in years. Rate him highly and he improved a Juve squad that a lot of people thought Conte maxed out. I want him to replace Mou after 4-5 years (hopefully longer).

Maybe he'll pull a managerial RVP? :drool:

Last edited:

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Would anyone really be shocked if Pep ends up being their next manager? I wouldn't. Like Mourinho, Pep can never stay in one place for too long and he's said that himself. Can't see him being at City for more than 3 years.

RooneyLegend

Arsenal would be in the title chase next season if this was to happen. He isn't a defensive minded manager as some claim.

Dante

Average bang
Wenger might want to stay a couple more years. But if signing Allegri will keep Ozil/Sanchez at the club, it has to be the right decision. Rebuilding a side of world class players is a lot harder than maintaining one. Allegri would take Arsenal down the second route.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
It's easy to mock Wenger and Arsenal for lack of ambition, but we were in a better position under Ferguson than they ever were under Wenger and look at the extent of our collapse. It's only now that we're starting to turn it around. That must scare the Arsenal board. Wenger is a lot like Ferguson in the extent to which he dominates so much of what goes on at Arsenal. Maybe not to the same extent, but when you've only known one manager for so long, and the arrangement has suited both parties all the way (despite lack of silverware, they've maintained solid league positions, remained competitive, and built a new stadium whilst doing it), it's only natural to be wary of change. I think we've provided a horror story for a relatively penurious Arsenal board to consider.

The transition of power at that club would want to be significantly better thought out than it was here, otherwise the same could easily happen to them. And you wonder if they have the sort of cash reserves that we did. I doubt it.

Bojan11

Would anyone really be shocked if Pep ends up being their next manager? I wouldn't. Like Mourinho, Pep can never stay in one place for too long and he's said that himself. Can't see him being at City for more than 3 years.
Why would he go from City to Arsenal?

Maybe in the future. But I see Pep going to Italy next or even maybe taking a international job.

MounchesterUtd

Maybe in the future. But I see Pep going to Italy next or even maybe taking a international job.
Arsenal is still a big club and they will be able to compensate him well. I imagine the next manager will have a 'warchest' so to speak same with what we gave to Moyseh, as an added boost. I think you're right though, maybe Juve or PSG first (or one of the Milan clubs if their investors deliver on their promise?) before heading to Arsenal.

3KDré

I think he has said several times he dreams of managing Brazil, if I am not mistaken.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
It's easy to mock Wenger and Arsenal for lack of ambition, but we were in a better position under Ferguson than they ever were under Wenger and look at the extent of our collapse. It's only now that we're starting to turn it around. That must scare the Arsenal board. Wenger is a lot like Ferguson in the extent to which he dominates so much of what goes on at Arsenal. Maybe not to the same extent, but when you've only known one manager for so long, and the arrangement has suited both parties all the way (despite lack of silverware, they've maintained solid league positions, remained competitive, and built a new stadium whilst doing it), it's only natural to be wary of change. I think we've provided a horror story for a relatively penurious Arsenal board to consider.

The transition of power at that club would want to be significantly better thought out than it was here, otherwise the same could easily happen to them. And you wonder if they have the sort of cash reserves that we did. I doubt it.
I think people don't realise that Wenger's hand is forced. He is being made to think about commercial interests rather than footballing ones to keep the club from ticking over. He said so in an interview earlier this year explaining what pressures there are behind the scenes to keep tue club revenues high.

We do mock him about his ambition and dignity undeservedly because the reason why he is bearing the misery himself and not leaving is to ensure continuity and financial stability and he does this out of his love for the club.

He hasn't won the league for a long time but has done remarkably well under the circumstances to provide what Arsenal really need. Consistency and stability.

If they dropped out the top four and money stopped coming in they could be forced to sell all their star players and become even more uncompetitive and be forever doomed to mid table mediocrity like Liverpool were for a long time. That would be tough for their finances and things could spiral so badly out of control that they could go the way of Leeds, Portsmouth and others!

Some of those fickle Arsenal fans need to be careful what they wish for.

As for Allegri, he's Italian and they do defence. Will take Arsenal back to the good old days!

Last edited:

Sweet Square

I think people don't realise that Wenger's hand is forced. He is being made to think about commercial interests rather than footballing ones to keep the club from ticking over. He said so in an interview earlier this year explaining what pressures there are behind the scenes to keep tue club revenues high.

We do mock him about his ambition and dignity undeservedly because the reason why he is bearing the misery himself and not leaving is to ensure continuity and financial stability and he does this out of his love for the club.

He hasn't won the league for a long time but has done remarkably well under the circumstances to provide what Arsenal really need. Consistency and stability.

If they dropped out the top four and money stopped coming in they could be forced to sell their star players and become even more uncompetitive and be forever doomed to mid table mediocrity like Liverpool were for a long time. That would be tough for their finances and things could spiral so badly out of control that they could go the way of Leeds, Portsmouth and others!

Some of those fickle Arsenal fans need to be careful what they wish for.

As for Allegri, he's Italian and they do defence. Will take Arsenal back to the good old days!

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
I meant to say all. They were selling one or two per season to invest in others and to service their debt. Arsene admitted this in a way.

Funny you should mention RVP though as he was sold because he didn't want a new contract. Maybe Ozil and Sanchez will go the same way...

NK86

I meant to say all. They were selling one or two per season to invest in others and to service their debt. Arsene admitted this in a way.

Funny you should mention RVP though as he was sold because he didn't want a new contract. Maybe Ozil and Sanchez will go the same way...
Where do you read that they could do a Leeds of they have some poor league form?
They are pretty sound financially and some of my more knowledgeable Arsenal supporting friends say that it is more out of stubbornness than behind the scene forces that Wenger refuses to spend big.