Altay Bayındır | 2023/24 Performances

RedDevilQuebecois

Honestly, I would be very disappointed if Bayindir doesn't start tomorrow. This is a type of opposition he knows best and we also need to see him progress in order to take over the number 1 spot for the whole month of January.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’d be surprised if he starts just because he’s Turkish. We need some points on the board if we’re getting through this group, and it’s not the sort of high stakes game you give a young keeper his debut

RedDevilQuebecois

I’d be surprised if he starts just because he’s Turkish. We need some points on the board if we’re getting through this group, and it’s not the sort of high stakes game you give a young keeper his debut
Have you forgotten that we must prepare him to play like a number 1 come January with Onana going to the AFCON? If not now, then when?

GazTheLegend

Be weird if he starts tomorrow but maybe Onana is struggling to adapt to the pressure.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Have you forgotten that we must prepare him to play like a number 1 come January with Onana going to the AFCON? If not now, then when?
Definitely not now, in a Champions League game we have to win when we're still trying to settle Onana in as keeper, with a few games left until we play City.

RuudTom83

Seeing a few tweets claiming he start tomorrow…very odd take from what EtH actually said.

Onana will be on goal tomorrow.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
We already wasted that opportunity last week. With Newcastle coming up next in the Carabao Cup, that ain't going the time to feature either.
Why not though? We must be the only team that doesn't heavily rotate for the League Cup.

RuudTom83

Whatever happened to this lad starting tonight? Ten Haag said he was going to? Strange.
He didn’t say he would start.

He was asked in the press conference if he would start?

EtH said “wait and see” the same response he would have given to any question about which player would start tomorrow.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Must win game against Brentford. Give him a game.

lex talionis

I know nothing about him but given the circumstances he must start v Brentford. Onana needs time off to recompose himself as a professional athlete.

lunanc

Supports
Fenerbahce
I know nothing about him but given the circumstances he must start v Brentford. Onana needs time off to recompose himself as a professional athlete.
Overall he is better than Bayindir but he needs to pick up her mentality.

JBG

He's starting tonight for Turkey in a friendly vs Germany, will be the first time I watch him. Will be interesting. My in-laws are Turkish fans, so they know little about him. They've told me he's a decent GK, but can be inconsistent.

Edit:

Quick update on his performance.
I can see why ETH/MU wanted him as reserve GK for Onana. He's basically a carbon copy of him, similar playstyle, comfortable with the ball at his feet and surprisingly good at long passes(had 3 great long passes that easily could have resulted in goals for Turkey). Also not afraid to leave his line when needed, quick to come out and stress opponents and doesn't seem to have any problems dealing with crosses. Tall and long reach on him. Didn't seem shaky or nervous at all.

The 2 goals he conceded was not on him tbh, 1st goal was 100% defenders fault, Sane easily dribbled passed the LB and had 3 German players that were left on their own outside the 6 yard box, all they needed to do was pass the ball in the net. 2nd goal should never had stood, should have been pulled back for a FK to Turkey on the other side. Also Fullkrug couldn't have struck it any better if he tried, low strike at the near post, hit the inside of the post and in.

Other than that, he had a decent match, made a game winning save right after Turkey scored the 3rd goal, when Brandt was through on goal alone, made himself big and saved it with his feet.

7/10 performance, if this is what we can expect from him, we shouldn't be worried when/if Onana is unavailable. Off course this is just one match, but still good to see he had a good match against a very attacking Germany team.

Last edited:

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It is not ok to not let backup goalkeeper play any games all season. Could have at least played some cup games.

How is he going to be match ready when we need him during Onana's International duty or if Onana gets injured?

ti vu

It is not ok to not let backup goalkeeper play any games all season. Could have at least played some cup games.

How is he going to be match ready when we need him during Onana's International duty or if Onana gets injured?
Doesn't work like this as we see there is no throwaway game in CL, and we faced two PL in League Cup where Onana did need to be played into form after the series of howlers.

This is why clubs choose experienced GKs as second choice even when they have future top class GK prospect (sent on loan to gain experience). GKs don't usually sustain too much niggling muscle injuries (less running, less being tackled) like outfield players, so outside of very bad luck that involve freak injury, they're pretty much available to play most of the time.

The question is whether we picked the correct second choice experienced GK here. Not that he needs game time for experience. Even though he has no minute for us, he still got call up and given game time for NT, so he got experience and credit in the bank.

Last edited:

Erictheking7

From the trawler in front of the seagulls.........
I was at the game and he looked good after coming on. A decent save at the end of the first half which was made more difficult by a deflection and a very good save in the 2nd to deny Johnson from scoring. I wouldn't have been confident of Onana getting down to the 2nd one to be honest.

Bondi77

About time we get a chance to see our number one GK make his bow.

RuudTom83

They are grown men, I very much doubt either of them gave it a second thought…but any excuse for the media to spew out some bollocks.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
"Good vanilla ice cream but my fave is still strawberry" is seen as upsetting now!?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
"Good vanilla ice cream but my fave is still strawberry" is seen as upsetting now!?
Yes. Anyone whose favourite ice cream is strawberry is an obvious deviant in society

RedDevilQuebecois

HAS TO PLAY against Newcastle now. There is just no way that the other guy should start a game for us any time soon, not after today's shitshow.