Altay Bayındır | 2023/24 Performances

PoTMS

He must be really shit if Onana is starting every single game over him.

RedDevilQuebecois

Nah, he won’t. Onana’s been ok in the league. So long as that doesn’t change he won’t be dropped. Keepers only get dropped very very rarely anyway.
So you want Bayindir to come in cold in January or, worse, leave in that month on a transfer because of a lack of playing time?

As I said in the other thread, the other guy did more than enough to get hung with the rope that was given to him. Enough is enough and it means Bayindir must play.

Alemar

:lol: What is your definition of obvious?
Obvious is something that goes without saying. In relation to team selection, it is obvious that a player who has made several mistakes, that one’s grandma wouldn’t have made, deserves to be dropped.

Players should be made accountable for their performances, especially considering weekly wages they are getting. Many people earn less in a year

Baxquux

Weren't various people warning before the signing was even confirmed that this guy was more liable to drop a clanger than Onana, based on more recent performances, and wasn't anything like United quality? Be careful what you wish for, especially since Onana has some of the best GK stats in the league on various metrics (if not the best, at least according to Whoscored's measures).

Dan_F

So you want Bayindir to come in cold in January or, worse, leave in that month on a transfer because of a lack of playing time?

As I said in the other thread, the other guy did more than enough to get hung with the rope that was given to him. Enough is enough and it means Bayindir must play.
You think a 25 year old keeper who was playing for Fenerbahce, with only 8 caps for Turkey, is going to leave due to lack of playing time. Despite signing after we signed the manager’s former keeper for £50 million?

Probably best we try him out in an easier game, rather than away to Newcastle. Maybe Bournemouth, home to Villa, Forrest. Etc.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I’m just telling you what’s going to happen. Bayindir won’t start this weekend. You’ll see.

Your first paragraph is a total nonsense btw.

Dan_F

Obvious is something that goes without saying. In relation to team selection, it is obvious that a player who has made several mistakes, that one’s grandma wouldn’t have made, deserves to be dropped.

Players should be made accountable for their performances, especially considering weekly wages they are getting. Many people earn less in a year
Maybe for you it seems obvious that Onana should be dropped. That certainly doesn’t mean it’s obvious he will be. Ten Hag has shown no willingness to drop him or other underperforming players in the past. Certainly not away to Newcastle.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Maybe for you it seems obvious that Onana should be dropped. That certainly doesn’t mean it’s obvious he will be. Ten Hag has shown no willingness to drop him or other underperforming players in the past. Certainly not away to Newcastle.
He’s dropped underperforming players multiple times before. That’s a weird claim. Dropping your keeper is a very different scenario though. There’s a reason it’s incredibly rare.

Dan_F

He’s dropped underperforming players multiple times before. That’s a weird claim. Dropping your keeper is a very different scenario though. There’s a reason it’s incredibly rare.
He’s kept Rashford in throughout this season. Højlund hasn’t scored a Premier Legue goal. Antony continually played through bad form since signing. Lindelof was a disaster in the first half against Everton and keeps his place over Varane. Onana makes however many mistakes and starts. Bruno has had awful games and is guaranteed a start in the next game.

He backs the players rather than dropping them. Look what happened after the big defeats last season, the same players started the next game.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He’s kept Rashford in throughout this season. Højlund hasn’t scored a Premier Legue goal. Antony continually played through bad form since signing. Lindelof was a disaster in the first half against Everton and keeps his place over Varane. Onana makes however many mistakes and starts. Bruno has had awful games and is guaranteed a start in the next game.

He backs the players rather than dropping them. Look what happened after the big defeats last season, the same players started the next game.
Rashford’s been dropped, Antony’s been dropped and I can’t quite believe you’re using Varane’s name as evidence to bolster your argument about ETH not dropping players!

Alemar

Rashford’s been dropped, Antony’s been dropped and I can’t quite believe you’re using Varane’s name as evidence to bolster your argument about ETH not dropping players!
Garnacho’s been dropped, Reguillon’s been (very quickly) dropped, Mount’s been dropped, Eriksen’s been dropped… Amrabat is, let’s say, on the verge of being dropped too…

Dan_F

Huh? What game was Rashford dropped for in his poor form this season? Lindelof was terrible against Everton but kept his place. Varane got injured and hasn’t come back in. Ten Hag thinks Lindelof is a better passer. Okay. People were moaning all of last year for Antony to be dropped, and accused Ten Hag of favouriting “his” players. How selective is your memory?

Players like Mctominay, Mount, Eriksen and Amrabat have all been rotated because it’s easy to do so (and also because thats how squads work?) Did he drop Casemiro this season through his bad form, for even one game?

Regulion has come in and out again - it’s very easy to drop loan players like Regulion when you have proper first 11 players like Shaw back. Do you actually think he drops big players like Shaw, Martinez, Bruno, Rashford, Højlund and Onana etc if they have a bad game or two?

If I worded my original post too definitively, I apologise. He meant he doesn’t drop his big players for poor performances and Onana is one of them. The rest of the squad is much of a muchness and can clearly be rotated in and out for fitness or tactics.

El Presidente

Why not, it’s a safe one. It’s ok to make a mistake, but it’s unacceptable to tolerate disgraceful performances. ETH won’t.
Have your heard of Antony? Terrible performance aside, Onana is top of the Prem in saved xG, clean sheets and has single-handedly saved us multiple points that we shouldn't have had due to the shambolic defending in front of him.
I'm not saying he's phenomenal but there are far more pressing issues than him. Like, fielding a passenger in the midfield, because he chips in with the occasional goal, which leads us to constantly losing the middle of the pitch and resort to long balls. Or being useless in 1/3 of the pitch due to Antony's existance.

Sails

Supports
Galatasaray
I don't think he'll ever get a whiff of a start unless Onana spontaneously combusts, which is fair since Onana is obviously the better keeper.

But Altay Bayindir is the first choice for his own national team which is bound for Euro 24, was the first choice of one of the top teams of his own country, and now he sits in the bench not even playing cup games. I guess the money is good for him but how long can this last? Does he think that if (big if) ETH gives up on Onana he will become a long-term mainstay and not get replaced by another big purchase replacement?

lex talionis

Another instance of poor management by ETH. None of us know how poor Bayandir might be, but there is no plausible explanation whatsoever for not giving him one minute of play so far this season.

Is the risk that if Bayandir might perform brilliantly? If so, that’s a risk worth taking.

Nick7

i mean, he was bought as a clear #2 I'm not sure what people are expecting.

samlee86

I don't think he'll ever get a whiff of a start unless Onana spontaneously combusts, which is fair since Onana is obviously the better keeper.

But Altay Bayindir is the first choice for his own national team which is bound for Euro 24, was the first choice of one of the top teams of his own country, and now he sits in the bench not even playing cup games. I guess the money is good for him but how long can this last? Does he think that if (big if) ETH gives up on Onana he will become a long-term mainstay and not get replaced by another big purchase replacement?
Never seen him play. How good is he? What are his strengths and weaknesses?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

He's going to have to play if Onana gets called up by Cameroon for AFCON, which seems likely.

He also doesn't appear to be Turkey's first choice at all.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We really should have given him a run out before throwing him into first team football in January.

Glorio

Will be the first player to have his debut and testimonial as the same game - legend

RVN1991

Does anyone know if he's actually any good? The indication from the lack of playing time is that he must be pretty shite.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Does anyone know if he's actually any good? The indication from the lack of playing time is that he must be pretty shite.
Given that we are desperate for Onana to play 1 more game and having the weirdest arrangement of all time, I'd assume ten hag has 0 faith in him

Amira

Given that we are desperate for Onana to play 1 more game and having the weirdest arrangement of all time, I'd assume ten hag has 0 faith in him
It’s quite fascinating. Could he have stunk it up in training that bad?

Trequarista10

It’s quite fascinating. Could he have stunk it up in training that bad?
I reckon it may be more, Onana pushing for it because he wants to prove a point/feels like he needs to make amends for errors he's made so far.