Amad Diallo | Sunderland Loan Watch

RedC

Nice one!! Seems like him, Fernandez and Hannibal have all pushed themselves into the starting teams of each club, very good sign, especially as it's realistically their first proper season of first team football.
It's funny how when the first team starts turning it around, suddenly all our loans look great, and when we were going shite, we had the worst run of loans ever!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Turns out it was too soon to completely write him off as was fashionable on here. Let's take stock after this season.

city-puma

Nice one!! Seems like him, Fernandez and Hannibal have all pushed themselves into the starting teams of each club, very good sign, especially as it's realistically their first proper season of first team football.
Exactly! But to remember that this group of youngsters are probably the most talented over last few years, it’s not unreasonable to expect higher yield, no?

mu4c_20le

I'm sorry but that's terrible goalkeeping
Yeah got a bit lucky with the finish but can't fault the effort. He worked hard the entire match but Sunderland were happy to see our the match in the second half.

kidbob

It's funny how when the first team starts turning it around, suddenly all our loans look great, and when we were going shite, we had the worst run of loans ever!
Absolutely! Hopefully a sign that things are finally really on the up.

kidbob

Exactly! But to remember that this group of youngsters are probably the most talented over last few years, it’s not unreasonable to expect higher yield, no?
Oh definitely. I still expect at least Hansen Aaron, Iqbal and maybe Savage from that group to have a good chance of progressing well too. Maybe 1 or 2 others like Jurado have an outside chance. Also Laird is being raved about at OPR and finally staying fit. Hopefully a few make.

Delighting for Amad, the quality is so clearly there. Hopefully he kicks on well, seems like Mowbray is doing right by him too.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm sorry but that's terrible goalkeeping
I don't think you should put too much focus on how the goal was scored but rather if Amad played well in the game. Because goals and assists are the end goal but the process that comes before the goal or assist is what I'm looking to see with Amad. And from what the Sunderland fans are saying, he's playing well in the build up play/transitions.

And the great teams in Europe are those teams who can transition/build up play better than the rest. And the goals/assists will then follow.

Sancho99

Amad did the right thing initially there in trying to play that ball to the man at the back post for an assist but the striker took the pass instead and almost made a mess of it himself.

Mingus

For his previous Sunderland goal he gave the keeper the eyes, then put it in the opposite corner and I wouldn't be surprised if he did it again.

I watched the game and it was played in terrible conditions in the first half. The fact that he ran nearly the length of the pitch to score surprised me as he was beginning to look very leggy towards the end.
He was involved in Sunderland's 1st goal when he played a nicely weighted return pass to Patrick Roberts who cut it back for the scorer.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
For his previous Sunderland goal he gave the keeper the eyes, then put it in the opposite corner and I wouldn't be surprised if he did it again.

I watched the game and it was played in terrible conditions in the first half. The fact that he ran nearly the length of the pitch to score surprised me as he was beginning to look very leggy towards the end.
He was involved in Sunderland's 1st goal when he played a nicely weighted return pass to Patrick Roberts who cut it back for the scorer.
Its a bit of a sneaky finish with the right foot of a left footed player. Low, bouncing and close to the body. Quick shot in his stride.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Seems he’s playing like a player with limited first team experience. Bags of talent with moments of brilliant to moments of frustration. This loan will do him a world of good.

going by Sunderland fans opinions, he gets brushed off the ball too easily and his decision making is poor but he’s a gifted footballer.

Gordon S

Looks like he is the engine of this Sunderland team at the moment. Really promising signs

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Looks like he is the engine of this Sunderland team at the moment. Really promising signs

He’s a quality player, looks like this loan is going to work out very well. Mowbray seems to have a genuine interest in developing him.

captaincantona

Looks very aware when receiving the ball…like Antony …able to get turned quickly with his first touch. Between Amad and Garnacho we should have enough cover for Rashford/Sancho/Antony/Martial in wide areas.

Mwooyo

Really Glad that others are seeing what few have been saying about Amad for a long time. He is a top tier talent. He actually should be encouraged to dribble more...to take on his fullback more....to get his shots off quickly. Everything with him is about just doing more of what he can...he has the base technique and talent necessary to get to the top.

Elanga for example lacks so many base skills, he probably wont make it to the top. He has a terrible touch, he cant dribble and He cant pass. Yes he got pace and can finish but sooner or later a garnacho comes along and he does all the same things without the weaknesses. Really sure that amad will make it at united

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Looks like our loans are actually working out this year. Who'd have thought we could do that.

jackal&hyde

Looks like our loans are actually working out this year. Who'd have thought we could do that.
We did well to bring in some very good talent at the youth level so it's not a surprise. Lets just hope some of them will be good enough for our team or at the very least make us some return on investment.

Diallo will make it 100% as a good player for the top 5 leagues. How far can he go though, it depends on him. The technical ability is very high and has the potential to be a starter for a top club based on that. Next season I expect him to be in the squad along with Garnacho.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We did well to bring in some very good talent at the youth level so it's not a surprise. Lets just hope some of them will be good enough for our team or at the very least make us some return on investment.

Diallo will make it 100% as a good player for the top 5 leagues. How far can he go though, it depends on him. The technical ability is very high and has the potential to be a starter for a top club based on that. Next season I expect him to be in the squad along with Garnacho.
Was more a flippant comment on how poor our loans have been recently. Everyone seems to be playing regularly, which is fantastic.

Demaw

Really Glad that others are seeing what few have been saying about Amad for a long time. He is a top tier talent. He actually should be encouraged to dribble more...to take on his fullback more....to get his shots off quickly. Everything with him is about just doing more of what he can...he has the base technique and talent necessary to get to the top.

Elanga for example lacks so many base skills, he probably wont make it to the top. He has a terrible touch, he cant dribble and He cant pass. Yes he got pace and can finish but sooner or later a garnacho comes along and he does all the same things without the weaknesses. Really sure that amad will make it at united
I've said the same, look at the first touch!!! Marked by 2-3 players and just moves away from them.

NoPace

I'm not sure he'll suit the winger role Ten Hag seems to want, but maybe as the new backup #10 to Bruno with Van De Beek moving on. He's not the kind of speedy dribbler Ten Hag seems to prefer out wide (though he did move Tadic out wide and get Haller), but his link play seems nicely suited to Ten Hag's football. Not a great striker of the ball, but otherwise not dissimilar to someone like Berghuis who did well moving from out wide to a #10 role for Ten Hag.

So yeah I can't help but feel he might be a better fit on a counter-attacking team or one playing 2 up front even. I like him a lot, but I kinda see him ending up as a starter for Sociedad, Sevilla or Leverkusen when all is said and done. Also wouldn't be shocked if he wins the backup RW job, it's Garnacho and Rashford on the left and then we sell Sancho at a huge loss but still get back 40M or so Ten Hag can spend on the #8, #9, RB and CBs he still needs.

krazyrobus

Not a wide player for me, the weight on his short passing is great, right pace, right height, right position. So he should be looking to play centrally.

Rainy nights in Stoke

I've said the same, look at the first touch!!! Marked by 2-3 players and just moves away from them.
He has all the technical tools, and the spatial awareness to always pick out that little pocket of space! Great to see how he reads where space will open up.

That spatial awareness also helps him pick out great passing options. All he needs is the consistency + some physicality and then over time add more goals scoring to his game.

If he can catch a break and stay injury free, he’s gonna make it. Feckin love it!

Reactions: 711

Mingus

He played as a 10 yesterday for most of the match and Sunderland suddenly came to life when he was moved to the right wing.

He didn't do anything wrong centrally but wasn't getting on the ball enough until he moved out wide.

I think, as a 10, he needs better players around him that don't keep giving the ball away.

Mr PG

Amad has all the technical ability and weight of pass needed to play for any club. Big worry is his lack of physicality. He's simply too small right now...that will improve but I don't know by how much .At least he'll play well enough for us to recover our transfer fee. To spend that much on home and Pellistri at a time we lacked a midfielder was criminal really.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Amad has all the technical ability and weight of pass needed to play for any club. Big worry is his lack of physicality. He's simply too small right now...that will improve but I don't know by how much .At least he'll play well enough for us to recover our transfer fee. To spend that much on home and Pellistri at a time we lacked a midfielder was criminal really.
How small is he compared to Iniesta at the beginning of his career?

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'll help you out - he's already 2 cm taller!

macheda14

I'm not sure he'll suit the winger role Ten Hag seems to want, but maybe as the new backup #10 to Bruno with Van De Beek moving on. He's not the kind of speedy dribbler Ten Hag seems to prefer out wide (though he did move Tadic out wide and get Haller), but his link play seems nicely suited to Ten Hag's football.
Ziyech wasn't really the speedy dribbler in the 18/19 side - while Neres was, and the next team as you said had Tadic on the left. Ten Hag seems to like a lopsided attack, one speedy dribbler and one playmaker. Amad can fit into that.

demetre

He's progressing nicely at Sunderland. I would like to see him work harder off the ball. He's not a lazy player, but often seems lost when he doesn't have the ball at his feet.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think, as a 10, he needs better players around him that don't keep giving the ball away.
This. They don't see the runs or the passes that he does. Or they have very agricultural first touches when they receive his passes

NoPace

Ziyech wasn't really the speedy dribbler in the 18/19 side - while Neres was, and the next team as you said had Tadic on the left. Ten Hag seems to like a lopsided attack, one speedy dribbler and one playmaker. Amad can fit into that.
That's fair, I don't think he's dogmatic, but there's a reason he paid so much for Antony. Amad can fit as his backup, but I don't see either on the right really. Amad as backup for Bruno AND Antony is interesting if he becomes the player his transfer fee and recent improvement suggests is still very much possible.