Amad Diallo | Sunderland Loan Watch

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Different types of player, to be fair. Garnacho is a skilled footballer too but he's very quick and direct and it's easier to make an impression early on at first team level when you've got those traits.

Amad's qualities are a bit more subtle. He's a good dribbler, agile and has a great weight of pass. I wouldn't want to make predictions on who will go further because they're both very talented but it certainly isn't as cut and dry as you suggest.
Yeah it is. Garnacho is clearly better and is a baby in comparison.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I agree, and I would go further and say that I definitely think Amad should be seen as having slightly higher potential than Garnacho. It is always easier for speedsters to adopt to men’s football.

Just how I see it, Amad’s top potential probably lies in being able to become sort of a Bernardo Silva type of player for his team. While there are guys in Garnacho’s mold — like Hazard and Robben — who reach the absolute top, I don’t quiet think it’s reasonable to put Garnacho in that mold. But it’s a lot easier for that type, to like a Dan James type come in and contribute. While a Bernardo Silva type that isn’t ready, could do more harm than he would help if that makes sense.
I completely disagree. Garnacho will go far further than Amad in the game for me. He looks to already have more than Amad hence the no need for the loan move despite being a lot younger.

Amad went to Rangers in a poor man's league and didn't rip up any trees at all let's not forget.

MalaysianRed7

I'm not so sure about that. Sunderland right now are one of the better sides in the Championship and that's perfect for him. Should they go up, they will be in a relegation battle and that is the last thing Amad needs.
We need to remember that Sunderland were just promoted this season and naturally tipped to either struggle or finish no higher than mid-table as a result. Also, Amad wasn’t actually first choice at the start of the season, and the initial manager, Alex Neil jumped ship midway through, so it’s not as if it hasn’t been a struggle for him this season.

Along with that, I really rate Amad (who doesn’t at this point), but would he really start at a non-relegation battling PL club? At Sunderland, he’s their best player by far and will be next season too probably regardless of who they sign, and therefore is guaranteed to start pretty much every game except against us.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
No. This just shows a lack of appreciation for Amad's qualities.
Not really. It just shows how much more belief I have in Garnacho. He's in and around the first team for the foreseeable now. He's ready. Amad wasn't and still isn't.

Rangers got to a European final in May where they used 16 players over the 120 mins and he was an unused sub. He also didn't rip up any trees in the SPL whatsoever.

Garnacho will go on to play for Argentina first 11 I have ever confidence.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You have a top talent on your hands with him -not sure what went wrong at Rangers?yesterday we had 9 players under 23 -we have a “new model”of buying and developing and selling for profit ( rather than wasting millions as we have before and finding ourselves ( rightly ) in the 3rd tier for 4 seasons
Diallo is playing in front of 40000 loving it and we love him
Sadly he’s one for you and he should be a diamond for you -we have built up his confidence -you will benefit from that -good luck
He started well, but then had a poor 45 minutes vs Celtic and after that very rarely got a sniff of consistent football. van Bronckhorst was sacked earlier this season, so I don’t think he was up to much really.

Remember the geese

We need to remember that Sunderland were just promoted this season and naturally tipped to either struggle or finish no higher than mid-table as a result. Also, Amad wasn’t actually first choice at the start of the season, and the initial manager, Alex Neil jumped ship midway through, so it’s not as if it hasn’t been a struggle for him this season.

Along with that, I really rate Amad (who doesn’t at this point), but would he really start at a non-relegation battling PL club? At Sunderland, he’s their best player by far and will be next season too probably regardless of who they sign, and therefore is guaranteed to start pretty much every game except against us.
It's a tricky one because you want him to play at as high a level as possible, but he's the type of player who really thrives when he's playing for a side who dominates possession. I'm not so sure that playing every week camped in his own half tracking fullbacks, is the way to go. You also don't want to see him constantly sat on the bench either here or somewhere else. Hopefully whatever we decide works out well and benefits him and us.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Winger we have bought in recent years:

Diallo - 25m+15m adds on
Sancho - 80m
Alex - 85m

Yet probably none of them are better than our young academy player Garnacho.

Remember the geese

Not really. It just shows how much more belief I have in Garnacho. He's in and around the first team for the foreseeable now. He's ready. Amad wasn't and still isn't.

Rangers got to a European final in May where they used 16 players over the 120 mins and he was an unused sub. He also didn't rip up any trees in the SPL whatsoever.

Garnacho will go on to play for Argentina first 11 I have ever confidence.
Yeah Garnacho is a good talent, but Amad is equally so. I don't hold the Rangers loan against him at all. Some loans work out and others do not. The Championship is a higher standard of football anyway. Rangers should be bemoaning the fact that they couldn't get this level of performance out of Amad. It's as much their fault as it was his.

zaafi

Winger we have bought in recent years:

Diallo - 25m+15m adds on
Sancho - 80m
Alex - 85m

Yet probably none of them are better than our young academy player Garnacho.
They are all better. One fantastic trait Garnacho has shouldn't blind you from that fact. Garnacho has tremendous potential, though, but right now he isn't better.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
They are all better. One fantastic trait Garnacho has shouldn't blind you from that fact. Garnacho has tremendous potential, though, but right now he isn't better.
Based on what I've seen in Man Utd over the past 1-2 years, I truly think Garnacho is better.

TheReligion

Abusive
How many successful loans have their been to lower table PL clubs in recent years (from top teams)? The pathway seems to be youth teams > Championship club loan > stake a claim in first team. Mason Mount, Reece James, Harvey Elliott, Tammy Abraham. Connor Gallagher had a very successful loan to PL club at Palace tbf. Still, it seems like a riskier move in general. Also think there's a danger of creating a situation where players just get farmed out year after year to less technical sides and their development inevitably suffers as a result. Really interesting to see what we do with Hannibal, Laird, and Diallo next season.
I think that’s skewed somewhat.

Chelsea only promoted those players when they did due to their transfer ban and in part because they had Lampard who had worked with James and Mount previously.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Yeah Garnacho is a good talent, but Amad is equally so. I don't hold the Rangers loan against him at all. Some loans work out and others do not. The Championship is a higher standard of football anyway. Rangers should be bemoaning the fact that they couldn't get this level of performance out of Amad. It's as much their fault as it was his.
We will see. My gut is saying Garnacho becomes a big player and Amad moves on eventually and plays for a mid table PL club or goes abroad.

redcucumber

I think that’s skewed somewhat.

Chelsea only promoted those players when they did due to their transfer ban and in part because they had Lampard who had worked with James and Mount previously.
Very possible. Still, happy accident or not, it doesn't detract from the fact that the Championship appears to be an ideal league for the development of young players. Provides the rare combination of opportunity for regular minutes, extremely physical and a very decent technical level.

Remember the geese

We will see. My gut is saying Garnacho becomes a big player and Amad moves on eventually and plays for a mid table PL club or goes abroad.
All possibilities are open of course. I will say that Garnacho's qualities are more obvious though because that's just the type of player he is. Different level of standard obviously, but it's like comparing a Rashford to a Silva.

El Jefe

His technique has bever been in question for me. Watch him once and it jumps out that he's one of the most technically skilled players in the side. The main issue is his physicality and being being tactically naive, two things that are expected with young players.

I really hope he can develop as both a RW and AM as that would give him a better opportunity of getting into the team.

CM

Yeah it is. Garnacho is clearly better and is a baby in comparison.
Two years in age difference between the players, what are you talking about? :lol:

It's possible to like Garnacho without detracting from Amad to labour the point. Player development isn't linear, and coming into the first team at a club like Man Utd and staying there isn't the norm. Amad did actually do well for us at that age too, and scored against Milan, but direct comparisons between him and Garnacho are pointless anyway because they're so different stylistically.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Two years in age difference between the players, what are you talking about? :lol:

It's possible to like Garnacho without detracting from Amad to labour the point. Player development isn't linear, and coming into the first team at a club like Man Utd and staying there isn't the norm. Amad did actually do well for us at that age too, and scored against Milan, but direct comparisons between him and Garnacho are pointless anyway because they're so different stylistically.
2 years might not seem a lot but it's bigger than you think at that level. An 18 year old is a baby up from the academy realistically. At 20 they should be in and around the first team for me with a fair bit of experience now.

I didn't word it particularly well though tbf.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
2 years might not seem a lot but it's bigger than you think at that level. An 18 year old is a baby up from the academy realistically. At 20 they should be in and around the first team for me with a fair bit of experience now.

Until 6 months ago Amad literally had the body of a 14 year old boy though. Now he’s physically developed a bit he’s arguably looking like the best player in the championship - 25 senior games into his career - at 20. These things aren’t linear - everyone develops at different levels.

Remember the geese

Someone needs to explain to me why he’s out on loan and not Elanga. Quickly.
The great Elanga/Amad debate was interesting last season. Many were quick to turn on Amad when his loan at Rangers wasn't going too well, whereas Elanga was flavour of the month after a few goals for the first team. Elanga needs a loan big time or simply a permanent transfer.

CallyRed

The great Elanga/Amad debate was interesting last season. Many were quick to turn on Amad when his loan at Rangers wasn't going too well, whereas Elanga was flavour of the month after a few goals for the first team. Elanga needs a loan big time or a simply a permanent transfer.
8 minutes. Not quick enough my friend.

Gandalf

Fair few of the class of 92 were not in and around the first team at 20, Beckham was on loan at Preston at that age, so the above point just seems to be some arbitrary age related scale you have made up for yourself. Players develop at different rates, Garnacho is a great prospect and so is Amad, try to be happy about that fact instead of using some weird age related bias to hammer a kid who is doing exactly what he should be doing on loan.

b82REZ

Fair few of the class of 92 were not in and around the first team at 20, Beckham was on loan at Preston at that age, so the above point just seems to be some arbitrary age related scale you have made up for yourself. Players develop at different rates, Garnacho is a great prospect and so is Amad, try to be happy about that fact instead of using some weird age related bias to hammer a kid who is doing exactly what he should be doing on loan.
Exactly. The Class of 92 comparisons have been pointed out before but that is always ignored as it doesn't suit the detailed analysis of, "20 year olds should be mainstays in the team or they'll never make it!"

Although the poster you're replying to was writing Amad off during preseason in this thread. He's now slightly moved the goalposts because a younger player has had a breakthrough this year and is using that as some odd confirmation bias that Amad won't make it.

Mingus

Harry Kane at 20 hardly pulled up any trees on loan and didn't convince Spurs he was a player until was was 22.

Amad was unlucky to get injured just prior to a proposed loan at Feyenoord in August 2021 and was deprived of the chance of men's football as a result.
His Rangers loan ceased to be viable the moment Celtic hammered them and Van Bronkhorst decided that the risk to his own skin was more important than the development of a 19 year old.
Given a manager prepared to develop him, Amad has improved in some way in every game for Sunderland.

In yesterday's game his stats for touches, passes, and passes completed were higher than anyone else on the team.

Tony Mowbray said of him in November ""Diallo's training has been unbelievable, how fast he is, how direct he is and how good he is with the ball. You look at his physical data in every match in the last three or four games, he's been the highest distance covered, the highest sprint distance covered, the highest high-intensity energy runs."

I'm not sure how a 20yr old player, in these circumstances, could be returning better performances to show he will be ready for the first team next season. All the issues he needed to address are being resolved with each game.

OverratedOpinion

Maybe because Ten Hag planned on Antony being his first choice and considered playing week in week out to be better for development than being backup and hardly getting minutes. As such sent the one with more talent on loan.

How many minutes has Elanga played this season?

Gator Nate

A team like Rangers is not interested in developing someone else's talent. Being one of the top two teams in Scottish football, they aren't doing anything and everything to gain promotion. They develop their own talent and bring in already-developed talent. Sending Amad there was the mistake.

Sunderland, on the other hand, are doing anything and everything to gain promotion. Teams like that swap out players every season. Amad's talent level is high compared to most (all?) of their players, so it's worth it for them to bring him on, not for his development but for their own goals. It's a win-win. Sending Amad there was a wise move.

I think the main problem with most loan moves is matching the purposes of the loaning club with the borrowing club.

georgipep

If he develops over the next 6 months at the same rate he has the last 6 months then he could well be ready to stick around next season. The lad has only played about 25 senior games in his life - and at times you can see that - he still has so much to improve on in terms of his positioning off-the-ball and his physicality which makes it even more exciting because despite all that he’s arguably the best player in the championship. At 20.
How is he arguably the best player in the championship? He is at #49 on whoscored. Granted, he is the best Man Utd player on loan in the Championship, but that's about it.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
How is he arguably the best player in the championship? He is at #49 on whoscored. Granted, he is the best Man Utd player on loan in the Championship, but that's about it.
Well I’m arguing it. As are loads of Sunderland fans on their forums. Even seen some Wigan fans saying it on Twitter. So it clearly is arguable by definition isn’t it? Even putting aside using a rating website as if it’s some godly definitive thing - it’s also entirely useless telling me what whoscored rates him for the entire season (against players in different positions too no less) when the entire premise of the post is about how much he’s improved the last few months - so oddly enough an average including what he was doing 12 games ago rating him against CBs is pointless. As of now I think he’s arguably one of the best players in the league. By the end of the season I expect him to clearly be the best player in the league and quite obviously above that level.

georgipep

Well I’m arguing it. As are loads of Sunderland fans on their forums. Even seen some Wigan fans saying it on Twitter. So it clearly is arguable by definition isn’t it? Even putting aside using a rating website as if it’s some godly definitive thing - it’s also entirely useless telling me what whoscored rates him for the entire season (against players in different positions too no less) when the entire premise of the post is about how much he’s improved the last few months - so oddly enough an average including what he was doing 12 games ago rating him against CBs is pointless. As of now I think he’s arguably one of the best players in the league. By the end of the season I expect him to clearly be the best player in the league and quite obviously above that level.
I hope you are right but the fact that Sunderland fans think he's the best means very little. It's called bias.
As for the moment, I am not convinced Amad is the best player in the Championship. But you are correct. It can be argued.