Amad Diallo | Sunderland Loan Watch

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Fernandes has frequently played on the LW of late. Regardless, I believe Diallo could be direct competition with Anthony and Pellistri third choice. Anthony seems to be a one-trick pony and doesn't seems to have pace to overtake players. Amad passes players using his intelligence and scores a variety of goals.
I don’t see Antony being benched by anyone, any time soon. He’s getting better and better over the course of the season. And attacking contribution aside ETH will be reluctant to drop him because of how he firms up our defence on that side. Plus ETH just seems to really like him.

Amad will need to find a different route into the team if he’s going to play a lot of games for us next season.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
He won’t be loaned out - he’ll be integrated into the squad so he can start adapting to the intensity of ETH ball. He’s 20 years old and already one of the best players in the championship - and you still feel when watching him he has so many more levels to come. He’s a proper gem of a footballer.

Remember the geese

Ever since I saw his youth team compilations from Atalanta, I knew he was a terrific young player. I never wavered on him during his period away from our first team. I've really enjoyed following his loan spells as he's an exciting talent. I really hope United reep the benefits. If not, someone else will.

Matt851

I don’t see Antony being benched by anyone, any time soon. He’s getting better and better over the course of the season. And attacking contribution aside ETH will be reluctant to drop him because of how he firms up our defence on that side. Plus ETH just seems to really like him.

Amad will need to find a different route into the team if he’s going to play a lot of games for us next season.
Antony is obviously going to start next season as first choice on the right but there is clearly scope for improvement in his performances. So there should be enough opportunities for amad to show what he can do. He is clearly a more creative player than Antony so could offer a useful alternative

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Still think he needs another loan next season. He's quite lightweight.

We've had a lot of players like Elanga, Tuanzabe etc that have been kept around when they really should've been on loan. He's young, he has a lot of time, what he needs is regular games.
The championship is about as physical as it gets. He deserves a chance to show what he can do for the first team.

032Devil

Hardly surprising since he paid (or overpaid) what, £80m+ for him. ETH has proved that he is a fair man with the way he handled AWB. There was talk earlier in the season that the manager might sell him but the player has played his way back into the team. Anthony and Diallo are two very different players and I'd like to see how these two players would stack up to each other.

That aside, I wouldn't be against the idea of giving him another year's loan with a Premiership club next season.

kidbob

Him and Garnacho should be the main back up wingers next season. Get rid of Pellistri and Elanga and keep Sancho one more year in the hope he finds his feet.

Spend big on a striker and bring in midfielders so Eriksen can be rotation for Bruno and our forward options look very good.

Don't want another loan for Amad, he's shown enough for Sunderland to deserve a chance next year.

Hopefully we can find a better loan for Hannibal next season and he'll show the same progress to earn a chance the following season.

jeepers

He is small and slight, but you can see he’s learnt to use his body a lot better compared to the start of his loan. The championship is as physical as it gets and he’s doing excellently. I like that he mixed it up against Birmingham - good combination play, willing to take his man on the outside, etc. Good defensive work as well.

I think he will excel under EtH and gel quickly and seamlessly with our attackers.

032Devil

He is small and slight, but you can see he’s learnt to use his body a lot better compared to the start of his loan. The championship is as physical as it gets and he’s doing excellently. I like that he mixed it up against Birmingham - good combination play, willing to take his man on the outside, etc. Good defensive work as well.

I think he will excel under EtH and gel quickly and seamlessly with our attackers.
He's not that small. Example: Rashford is 1.8m and Diallo is 1.73m.

Mr PG

In a dominant team that plays on the half-way line Amad will be a very good player. Ball retention ranks at 92% and decision making is already very good. We'll get to see Amad and Hannibal true potential when they train with ETH for a few months in pre-season.

Abraxas

They have a real chance of making the playoffs after the last couple of wins. That would be brilliant experience for him to be playing hugely meaningful matches for Sunderland. Could be an interesting narrative to develop with him playing against our boy Carrick as manager too. Plenty of incentive to give a shit about the Championship playoffs.

jeepers

He's not that small. Example: Rashford is 1.8m and Diallo is 1.73m.
Yeah but did I say he’s short? I said small and slight. Is that somehow insulting to you? David Silva is small and slight but he did all right didn’t he? Zola is even shorter and he was a magnificent player when football was even more physical.

Useless post. Useful only if I had asked for Rashford’s and Amad’s heights, but guess what, I fecking didn’t.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Him and Garnacho should be the main back up wingers next season. Get rid of Pellistri and Elanga and keep Sancho one more year in the hope he finds his feet.

Spend big on a striker and bring in midfielders so Eriksen can be rotation for Bruno and our forward options look very good.

Don't want another loan for Amad, he's shown enough for Sunderland to deserve a chance next year.

Hopefully we can find a better loan for Hannibal next season and he'll show the same progress to earn a chance the following season.
I don't think Pellistri and Elanga is the reason blocking his development here. Rather its Antony and Sancho competing on the right, it would be difficult for Diallo to even make it to our bench. If we are going to keep Antony and Sancho next season, it might be better for Diallo to look for another loan move for a year, until he is ready to compete directly with Antony and Sancho.

But if you ask me, I think he is about ready to challenge, as Antony and Sancho didn't really inspire anything anyway.

city-puma

He will be in the squad next season, no doubt about it, because he has found some level of consistency now.

renatosanches85

Yeah but did I say he’s short? I said small and slight. Is that somehow insulting to you? David Silva is small and slight but he did all right didn’t he? Zola is even shorter and he was a magnificent player when football was even more physical.

Useless post. Useful only if I had asked for Rashford’s and Amad’s heights, but guess what, I fecking didn’t.
:lol: who pissed in your cornflakes?

captaincantona

Amad is a viable option for next season. He literally could not have done more during this loan to call it a success. He offers a different skill set from the right and at number 10 then Anthony/Bruno and could offer a lot of guile, movement and clever interplay against low block teams. Does he have the defensive chops that ETH demands? Not sure but he deserves a chance to prove he has. Either way, loaning him out again is unthinkable unless it is to a PL team or a decent European league - and at that he requires a team that actually uses players like him - no point in him going to an Everton or similar. He isn’t a dogfight kind of player.

Should be in the squad next season, will get loads of minutes coming on for Antony around the 70 minutes mark, plus starting in the league cup,FA cup and occasional league game.
Sancho can be back up to Rashford/ compete with Garnacho for that slot. He can also replace Bruno from time to time.
If we can get a competent centre forward we are well stacked in attacking positions.

Dve

He won’t be loaned out - he’ll be integrated into the squad so he can start adapting to the intensity of ETH ball. He’s 20 years old and already one of the best players in the championship - and you still feel when watching him he has so many more levels to come. He’s a proper gem of a footballer.
Agree. He has to be in the squad next season. We've seen Garnacho been handed plenty of game time this season, and Amad could have a similar role on the right side.

Send Pellistri to Sunderland on loan.

Gordon S

Possibly my current favourite United player, the guy manages to fill every match highlight reel with filth!

Dve

In a dominant team that plays on the half-way line Amad will be a very good player. Ball retention ranks at 92% and decision making is already very good. We'll get to see Amad and Hannibal true potential when they train with ETH for a few months in pre-season.
Hannibal is hardly a regular starter for Birmingham so I don't think their seasons are comparable. I don't think Hannibal is ready for us, and time will show if he'll ever be.

Oldyella

Boy, that escalated quickly.

led_scholes

Lovely goal. I don't think Hannibal could do alot there. Most defenders would fall for this dribble.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Can't wait to see this kid back in a United shirt. I don't think I'll ever get bored of watching him play

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Amad is a viable option for next season. He literally could not have done more during this loan to call it a success. He offers a different skill set from the right and at number 10 then Anthony/Bruno and could offer a lot of guile, movement and clever interplay against low block teams. Does he have the defensive chops that ETH demands? Not sure but he deserves a chance to prove he has. Either way, loaning him out again is unthinkable unless it is to a PL team or a decent European league - and at that he requires a team that actually uses players like him - no point in him going to an Everton or similar. He isn’t a dogfight kind of player.
I think that’s the stage he’s at by now: questioning integration into our squad or even team on rotation. Does he have the defensive and tactical awareness to be an interchangeable with Antony? Can he come in and offer us something nobody else does - a niche of his own rather than just being a tidy supplementary.

If he keeps this up and carries it over to preseason, in a fair assessment, he should believe that he’s contesting for the nod over other contenders for the right wing.

Bojan Djordjic

But who could he replace or where would he fit in?

We've got Anthony, Sancho, Fernandes, Garnacho, Pellistri and perhaps Rashford as well.
Antony is fairly injury prone, never usually finishes out games and picks up a fair amount of yellow cards so there'd be plenty of opportunity for minutes.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Really dont like removing someone from an environment where they keep developing, getting better and better. I would love to see him perform like this consistently for a year. But I also understand that he is eager to get back to United and do it at a higher level. Vary that he is still a shy kid. Does he have the personality to play for Man Utd in a few months?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Really dont like removing someone from an environment where they keep developing, getting better and better. I would love to see him perform like this consistently for a year. But I also understand that he is eager to get back to United and do it at a higher level. Vary that he is still a shy kid. Does he have the personality to play for Man Utd in a few months?
He’s experienced a hell of a lot on his loans; lots of lows to go with these current highs. The Rangers debacle seems to have been a blessing because he’s gone on to a better, rougher league and been determined to make his mark there. I’m not sure he’s so shy anymore, and maybe that was more about being young and taking in a whole new world rather than his actual personality.

He’s got a swagger and confidence to his game that, even if he wasn’t already ours, big clubs would be all over him off the back of what he’s doing this season.

Is bringing him back stifling his development, or is it potentially accelerating it?

Bojan Djordjic

Now this is a bit of an exaggeration. Amad is a lovely player but you would really want the player you signed as an enormously expensive teenager to be making more than two assists in a second tier league. As good as he is, I think people might have to manage their expectations regarding Amad's championship form translating over to the premiership. He's been good but he isn't too good for the league as I've seen some people say. He's scored a few goals but he's not the Championship's Mo Salah and he's got 5 more goal contributions than expected goal contributions so has been scoring from positions that aren't necessarily repeatable over time.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Mowbray:

"He's an amazing footballer. He finds the game too easy sometimes and I need to sort of poke him just to make sure he's giving everything to the team, because the game is too easy for him individually - he loses concentration occasionally. We're all delighted he's here for us. I think his link-up play with Patrick (Roberts) down the right hand side is amazing, the way they can interlink with each other and pass... A brilliant individual goal today for him. We've seen it before, in fact he scored one at Birmingham in the reverse fixture, I think."

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He’s experienced a hell of a lot on his loans; lots of lows to go with these current highs. The Rangers debacle seems to have been a blessing because he’s gone on to a better, rougher league and been determined to make his mark there. I’m not sure he’s so shy anymore, and maybe that was more about being young and taking in a whole new world rather than his actual personality.

He’s got a swagger and confidence to his game that, even if he wasn’t already ours, big clubs would be all over him off the back of what he’s doing this season.

Is bringing him back stifling his development, or is it potentially accelerating it?
Good points and question. Could be accelerating it. Just feels more risky to remove him from a place it is finally working out for him. Dont think he has been consistently great for more than a few months either. And I do think being consistently great is a hell of a drug for him at this stage.

Irrational.

"Bulking up" is overrated, Amad is strong for his size and does well to use his body to hold bigger players off.

This guy could be a our starting RW next year. Genuinely think we go up a level massively with his technical quality
I agree. This obsession with bulking up is weird.

Elanga has bulked up to the extent that he has no neck, and he’s shit.

luke511

He had the personality to score a backwards tornado header vs AC Milan to knock them out. Seeing how seamless his move from the U23s into the first team was for us I reckon he’ll put in identical performances next season when given his chance.

Raven

I love Amad but that remains to be seen. Garnacho has been our 2nd best attackers while Amad has been doing the business in championship.
No he hasn't? Garnacho seems like a great talent but let's not go over the top. Amad has special, special technique and vision, skills that I think are far more rare than the things Garnacho has shown us so far.

TheLittleOne

Lovely goal. I don't think Hannibal could do alot there. Most defenders would fall for this dribble.
I would agree with this. Also there was a teammate of Hannibal right next to him. In his situation I would have give my teammate the room to try to deal with Amad instead of us both trying to get the ball off of him at the same time. Its just well played by Amad.

Last edited:

TheLittleOne

No he hasn't? Garnacho seems like a great talent but let's not go over the top. Amad has special, special technique and vision, skills that I think are far more rare than the things Garnacho has shown us so far.
We can really be happy to have both of them :) Garnacho is awesome but i have even higher hopes for Diallo. There is just something about him. Even before his loan out I thought he did well when he played. He was obviously very raw but his talent was evident the whole time.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I'd say the determination and fearlessness an 18-year old Garnacho has shown at a Premier League level are actually more rare than the technique and vision Amad has in Championship. There's plenty of talented players who never make it at a top level because they lack in the mental side of the game.

That being said, I agree with @TheLittleOne, let's just enjoy having both of them.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble

Aren’t there going to be enough games to go around?

captaincantona

Now this is a bit of an exaggeration. Amad is a lovely player but you would really want the player you signed as an enormously expensive teenager to be making more than two assists in a second tier league. As good as he is, I think people might have to manage their expectations regarding Amad's championship form translating over to the premiership. He's been good but he isn't too good for the league as I've seen some people say. He's scored a few goals but he's not the Championship's Mo Salah and he's got 5 more goal contributions than expected goal contributions so has been scoring from positions that aren't necessarily repeatable over time.
No one is saying championship form equals PL form. No one is saying he is killing it week in week out. What I am saying is that as loans go - they don’t get much better than this and certainly not for Utd players.

not sure why you think he would have to be top scorer or assist maker in the championship to warrant a chance at Utd and I’m not sure if you are considering the fact that we just need to ask the question- could he offer more than any of the current squad players in his positions. The answer is, based on his performances in the championship to date - he certainly looks as promising or more so than DVB, Elanga, Pellistri and possibly Sancho if we ignore reputation and just base that on performances.

he deserves his chance at Utd now and he could not have done more at Sunderland to answer some of the questions surrounding him which were all about taking responsibility, work ethic, and not drifting in and out of games.