Amazon Prime and Premier League Rights

The Uncle of All Uncles

Disappointed to learn that I can't watch in Ireland - Amazon Prime Video has annoyed me several times with a few shows not being in Ireland but being in the UK. Netflix has never done this, I don't know why Amazon treats it differently.

I'd be all for streaming if there were no international restrictions to it. Quite fecked off actually.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Barely been one evening and some UK journos hating on the product already. "We're getting drowned in content", "will someone think of the match going fans", "mute commentary option is insidious" etc.

This is the future. Get along with the times dinosaurs.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

"Yes, yes, enjoy my new service you fools, little do you know that I grow more powerful everyday"

laughtersassassin

Disappointed to learn that I can't watch in Ireland - Amazon Prime Video has annoyed me several times with a few shows not being in Ireland but being in the UK. Netflix has never done this, I don't know why Amazon treats it differently.

I'd be all for streaming if there were no international restrictions to it. Quite fecked off actually.
Go on Amazon chat and tell em you live in the UK now. Might take 2 or 3 different reps but they'll change you over to the UK prime

Craig Ward

Big fan of sky/bt having competition but all of these games will be shown with a 45 second delay due to them being streams.
Might not sound like much but I really struggle to watch delayed streams knowing that you can get a notification from your phone at any time with a goal.
Turn your notifications off? Surely that's logical

laughtersassassin

Would love Amazon to buy every Orem game one day. Competition in football broadcasting is awful for fans. No one can afford to pay for every service.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Is the month free trial still available?
Yep. I just signed up it for this morning. You just have to cancel the contract before 30 days is up to avoid the £7.99 payment …. unless you want to continue that is.

Craig Ward

I don't subscribe to Sky sports or BT due to pricing

I watched it via the Prime video app and used my chromecast to put it on the TV. Initially slow to load, after about 5 minutes I had a solid connection and perfect viewing throughout, I watched the Burnley City game and flicked over to Palace at half time. Very impressed.

Don't use score apps as that's obviously going to spoil it.

Looking forward to watching Man Utd Spurs this eve as well. Just s shame so much of amazons games are on at the same time!

oLeSoLsKjAeR20

Did anyone have any issues with picture quality/buffering? I tested out the City game last night so that I could be nice and confident in the quality before tonight's game but the players were all blurry for like 10 secs then I had about 3 secs of clarity before going back to blurry again and repeat, repeat, repeat. I know this is probably down to broadband speed but I've never had any issues before with that. Anything else I can try so that the quality improves? :confused:

coolredwine

lameredboots
Enjoyed the Prime telecast. Although the voices, commentators, pre/post match is pretty much similar, at least with Prime, I won't have to be tied up with expensive broadcasters just for the sake of football. Can get behind this if it can become a regular thing.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Did anyone have any issues with picture quality/buffering? I tested out the City game last night so that I could be nice and confident in the quality before tonight's game but the players were all blurry for like 10 secs then I had about 3 secs of clarity before going back to blurry again and repeat, repeat, repeat. I know this is probably down to broadband speed but I've never had any issues before with that. Anything else I can try so that the quality improves? :confused:
I had a few moments of drop in frame rate, dip in resolution but it was 5 seconds max before going back to normal. Occurred maybe like 5 times during the game but I was expecting this.

NWRed

I don't know if it will give you access or not as I'm a UK prime member anyway but you can change your country and language settings in the amazon application on your phone, (on android) click on the three bars to access the menu then click on settings and change your country and language to UK, I know I've used it in the past to access US only offers on amazon so it might work to access UK only content on prime.

SparkedIntoLife

I have Prime but will be out when our match is on. Anyone know if I can watch it on repeat when I get home or is it live then gone?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Put that question into Google for the answer.
Not sure it will, or my version of the roku stick won't anyway. I have taken the free trial and it works fine on my laptop and I can watch the films and television series etc through the tv until I cancel it. Also my Smart TV is an older version, so cannot get Amazon Prime as an app through it. I will just use my laptop. I suppose I could plug a HDMI cable into my laptop and the TV and watch it on the big screen like that?

Havak

Pokemon master
I have Prime but will be out when our match is on. Anyone know if I can watch it on repeat when I get home or is it live then gone?
I'm not sure how long it takes for games to be available on repeat as such, but if you arrived home before the show is officially over (including post-match analysis etc), you can choose 'play from beginning' instead of 'play now' to watch the whole game from the start.

This really needs to be the future of live football consumption. All the analysts predicting the downfall of matchday attendance need to wake up - this is going to go down in general anyway for a lot of games as people aren't as willing to pay £40+ a ticket and deal with the travel of getting there especially when the weather is shit (as is often the case in England). The option to watch 3pm games has needed to be there for a long time, it's a dinosauric approach. I know there will be a lot of logistics to work out with Sky/BT etc but the future needs to be finding a way to just let us stream every single PL game on an app/website and pay a £14.99~ monthly subscription fee. So many people will just stop bothering to find illegal streams because the price point is fair and you can get everything at better quality and they'll probably make more money than they do now.

I was very impressed to say the least. No hiccups, great quality. easy to use and even more freedom than I expected. If Amazon can get regular games, I would pay more on top of Prime for this service.

Last edited:

oLeSoLsKjAeR20

I had a few moments of drop in frame rate, dip in resolution but it was 5 seconds max before going back to normal. Occurred maybe like 5 times during the game but I was expecting this.
I would have taken that! But mine was never a good picture for more than like 3 secs at a time and I gave it the full first half. Then switched it off as I couldn't take it anymore :mad:

Old Ma Crow

I'm not sure how long it takes for games to be available on repeat as such, but if you arrived home before the show is officially over (including post-match analysis etc), you can choose 'play from beginning' instead of 'play now' to watch the whole game from the start.

This really needs to be the future of live football consumption. All the analysts predicting the downfall of matchday attendance need to wake up - this is going to go down in general anyway for a lot of games as people aren't as willing to pay £40+ a ticket and deal with the travel of getting there especially when the weather is shit (as is often the case in England). The option to watch 3pm games has needed to be there for a long time, it's a dinosauric approach. I know there will be a lot of logistics to work out with Sky/BT etc but the future needs to be finding a way to just let us stream every single PL game on an app/website and pay a £14.99~ monthly subscription fee. So many people will just stop bothering to find illegal streams because the price point is fair and you can get everything at better quality and they'll probably make more money than they do now.

I was very impressed to say the least. No hiccups, great quality. easy to use and even more freedom than I expected. If Amazon can get regular games, I would pay more on top of Prime for this service.
I'm sure other online platforms like Facebook are watching Amazon's service carefully, so more competition for BT and Sky's ridiculous duopoly is all good as far as I'm concerned. The current model has always been a money grabbing smokescreen by the PL.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Problem I have is the same problem I had with the World Cup on IPlayer and Sky Go and all the rest of it - the games aren't live! They are always a few seconds sometimes even longer behind.

Judas

Open to offers
Problem I have is the same problem I had with the World Cup on IPlayer and Sky Go and all the rest of it - the games aren't live! They are always a few seconds sometimes even longer behind.
I see this complaint a lot, and I'm not having a go at you specifically, but why does it matter? Is it because you can't go on social media while it's happening or what?

Ideally I'd want it live, but I could live with a 30 second delay or something like that quite happily if it meant we had this service for all games.

Josep Dowling

This is where I get annoyed with everything done by streaming. I have the fastest internet in our area yet I get this issue all the time. We have gone from getting a perfect HD picture and gone backwards with streaming. Plus the time delay is frustrating as invariably some numpty in the room will have notifications on.

I understand this is where TV viewing is going but I wish the government would get a decent broadband speed across the country rather than London centric schemes like the new 5g is.

Judas

Open to offers
The Guardian article almost crying about the OPTION of having no commentary is amazingly weird :lol: talking like its some disgraceful thing. Has he you know never been to an actual game before? Someone should tell him if he ever does he'll have to watch it without some people talking over it.

Old Ma Crow

The Guardian article almost crying about the OPTION of having no commentary is amazingly weird :lol: talking like its some disgraceful thing. Has he you know never been to an actual game before? Someone should tell him if he ever does he'll have to watch it without some people talking over it.
Journalists of the world unite? I want to inflict continuous Michael Owen and Jim Beglin commentary on that Guardian journalist for a week and then he might understand how such an option might be a good thing.

redshaw

Maybe there's some legal wrangles. You're a separate country with your own contracts, rules and such. Would be like UK complaining about what Norway is getting or not getting.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Maybe there's some legal wrangles. You're a separate country with your own contracts, rules and such. Would be like UK complaining about what Norway is getting or not getting.
All games televised tonight, four on free to air :drool:

Chipper

Adulterer.
I see this complaint a lot, and I'm not having a go at you specifically, but why does it matter? Is it because you can't go on social media while it's happening or what?

Ideally I'd want it live, but I could live with a 30 second delay or something like that quite happily if it meant we had this service for all games.
I don't really get the problem with that either. It's live to me, so who cares if it's not happening at that exact second? Also, if all your mates are also watching on Amazon Prime because there's nowhere else to watch it then isn't it delayed for everyone? Nobody will be ahead and message you a spoiler.

Only time similar has been an issue for me was during England games in World Cup 2010. Was watching on cable and that was actually delayed compared to regular tv by about 5 seconds. I heard my neighbour shouting through the wall when goals went in and couldn't watch the same thing myself as I had no working aerial on the roof.

Last edited:

Havak

Pokemon master
I'm sure other online platforms like Facebook are watching Amazon's service carefully, so more competition for BT and Sky's ridiculous duopoly is all good as far as I'm concerned. The current model has always been a money grabbing smokescreen by the PL.
Yeah, although I'm more for just getting rid of Sky/BT almost all together in this example. They can keep purchasing select fixtures and charging extortionate prices if they wish, but I think a Premier League Streaming App should just give you their own coverage of all the games for a monthly fee. It would be the only thing you need if you have a good enough internet connection and aren't afraid of technology.

I think TV packages and almost anything they can offer in comparison to streaming services are already ancient and outdated. I know it's still a few years away for something like the Premier League and the chance of it being an every PL game service is unlikely, but it is the best way forward. They should pull out all the stops to do it, but I'm sure they want money from 'many pots' so odds are we end up paying for something like Amazon to stream all 3pm kick offs, BT for Champion's League/Select PL Games/FA Cup, and Sky for Most PL Games/League Cup. It should just all go to one Premier League / FA Owned Service and cut all these money grabbing fecks out of, but as long as they make enough money from these companies it will be the consumer who suffers and is more out of pocket.

One Place. One Service. One Fee. It should be the way.

NWRed

How do you watch it through a Roku stick. I can plug it into the main TV. So what do I do then?
Install the amazon prime app if it isn't installed already, launch then app then log in with the your email and password. Program starts at 6.30 tonight.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Install the amazon prime app if it isn't installed already, launch then app then log in with the your email and password. Program starts at 6.30 tonight.
It is there on the Roku stick, and I have logged in, but there is no football. When I look at it on my laptop the PL football option is there. So it have to be my laptop I'm afraid. As I have said my smart TV is one of the first ones, so Amazon Prime is not supported by it. As long as I can watch the games somewhere, especially Boxing Day I will be happy. Thanks for your help.:)

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I doubt Amazon will have any interest in buying up all the PL games. The purpose of these two sets of fixtures is purely to get people subbed up to Prime and using it. I'd say there were a lot of people who'd never bothered with prime (or amazon) before who will have gotten the 30 day trial just for this. It really doesn't make any sense for them to spend £5bn or whatever it is to get all games, that's way more than their entire original content budget.

NWRed

It is there on the Roku stick, and I have logged in, but there is no football. When I look at it on my laptop the PL football option is there. So it have to be my laptop I'm afraid. As I have said my smart TV is one of the first ones, so Amazon Prime is not supported by it. As long as I can watch the games somewhere, especially Boxing Day I will be happy. Thanks for your help.:)
Not sure then, I have a banner linking to the football across the top and all the matches listed in a separate section just underneath, try scrolling across to the sports section long the top, otherwise you might have to give them a call.

0le

Would it work if you used a VPN?

starman

I believe if its a Roku from 2015 or older live sport does not work. The newer one i think as well do not offer some of the feature a fire stick offers, rewind, turn off commentary, stadium audio etc